Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Korean TV

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Canisferus

Canisferus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
Which TV dramas are truly popular in South Korea right now? 

I see Korean dramas on places like Asian Rice, Mysoju etc but are those the really popular ones?  Is there still a saturday night variety show on?

Haruki

Haruki

Fried Potato

• The Company
  • 693 posts
  • LocationKorea
Secret Garden is the most popular one.
i think president is also doing pretty well.

check out dramafever, they're high quality, good subs, divide by genre, year, etc etc, anyways it's pretty cool.
except it doesn't work outside of US and Canada

if you like action check out iris, fugitive plan B or slave hunter.

if you need a suggestion, tell me what u like and i'll give you one.
Posted Image

Canisferus

Canisferus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
Im finishing Goong S and in midway through My girlfriend is a Gumiho. I liked martial arts movie Arahan. THAT was great -funny and fun.

But i like cop dramas like the action Jdramas Security Police and Tokyo Dogs.  Iris sounds good.  Is Athena: god of war any good?

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!
Iris was pretty good, but even with the same director, Athena rather isn't up to par with Iris even with the big budget. The story doesn't make sense, there's loop holes everywhere and odd choices made left and right. And Athena is more prominently god of wisdom than war...

Canisferus

Canisferus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
Grump, you spotted that too!  Ares or Apollo is the greek god of war, isnt he?

I'll try Iris for my next action show, thanks.

Haruki

Haruki

Fried Potato

• The Company
  • 693 posts
  • LocationKorea
i liked fugitive plan b
haven't watched iris yet. btw, there's a movie version of iris out. i'm not sure if it subbed...
Posted Image

Nutrient

Nutrient

Russet Potato

• The Company
  • 273 posts
You can always keep up with K-Entertainment news or check Viikii, Dramastyle, or Dramafever. The dramas that show up on the first page are usually what's airing.

2crvuxv.png

made by Farfalla @ mh

Canisferus

Canisferus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
OK. Just finished IRIS on Thursday April 7. That was a great show. It had a couple loopholes but it was still very thrilling. It reminded me of what an Ahjimma said told me about TV dramas: Japan TV loves fighting, Korean TV loves crying and American TV has kissing. So I wasn't surprised when the hero and his pal-turned badguy started crying. :lol

The central plot revolving around the re-unification of the two Koreas reminded me of when a friend's Korean wife explained how important re-unification is to the Koreans.

The girl who played the role of the North Korean agent Kim So-yeon was much more beautiful than the actress playing the hero's love interest, Kim Tae-hee.

I'll checkout Athena and Fugitive Plan B next for K-Drama Action.

Btw, When It's At Night is a fun, light crime/romance drama I'd recommend. The end theme music makes me wanna dance :blush: I think the romance between the two main characters in this is more believable than the one in IRIS.

pun-neko

pun-neko

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 5 posts
I don't know which shows are popular in korea right now but I can give you some which WERE popular (meaning they were finished at least a year ago.) I would suggest Baker King. It's entertaining but personally I feel that the story was not very well made. Another one would be (mind you these are pretty old ones but good nonetheless :) )
  • Temptation of Wife
  • A rosy life
  • Jewel in the Palace
  • Endless love autumn in my heart
  • 3 dads and 1 mom (i think)
  • Full house
  • East of Eden
  • Hwang Jin Yi
  • Jumong
  • Lovers in Paris
  • My Girl
I'm really enjoying temptation of wife right now. It's pretty old but it only aired in our country recently. Just makes me want to strangle the antagonists. lol. Most of those are really dramas (not action packed) but still very enjoyable. My favourite one would be Endless Love. It is my absolute favourite K-drama. I suggest you give it a try if you haven't watched it yet :) (plus the soundtrack is amazing.)

Canisferus

Canisferus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
P-Neko, I dont think Endless Love is my Cup O' Tea. lol

I prefer: Guy-meets-Girl, Guy kills Bad-guy, Guy and Girl live happily ever after. :lol:

Furgeson

Furgeson

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationGuess.
K-dramas are soo good XD If anyone wants to have a discussion over why you hate a certain male or female lead in a drama I've watched, come to meeee~ <3 (I can name the amount of characters I like in kdramas on one finger. The actors, on the other hand... >_> *drools*)

List of K-dramas :) I usually watch mine on hulu, which is actually a really relaxing experience. usually, the other sites have broken links that send me into hysterical fits. The list is cliche, but hey, the series are popular for a reason D:
Boys over Flowers (=Crack)
sungkyunkwan scandal (Historical <3)
You're Beautiful
Coffee Prince
Mary Stayed Out All Night
Pasta
Goong
(of course...How can anyone resist the eternal predictability and boredom known as goong?)
IRIS (WHY YOU DIE?)
My Girl
The Woman Who Still Wants To Marry

Cinderella's Sister (Ready your tissue box)

xEDIT:Ack! How could I forget Secret Garden? >.<

Edited by Furgeson, 19 April 2011 - 08:03 PM.

tirazai

tirazai

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
Lol, anyone watched My Girlfriend Is A Gumiho?
Posted Image

Alles

Alles

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Asia
Lie To Me.
The Moon That Embraces The Sun.

Both are good. :)

Posted Image

The Empress

Fujoshi.Weird.Eccentric.Moody.Sadist.Masochist.

umughal147

umughal147

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

There are several drama serials popular in the Korea, but i like the Jewels..........

elixer

elixer

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Locationkanyetothe best girl
DO NOT use dramafever. they exploit other websites that provide free subs for dramas. if you want to watch variety shows, i suggest sites like ktopia or kshownow. you can find tons of dramas on viki and gooddrama(even though gooddrama is really just a collection of videos from other sites...) dramas that are popular as of time posting? i'd say right now, the hottest dramas are Man from the stars and reply 1994(it just ended though). nothing else is/was as fun imo. the most popular variety show is 1N2D i think.. or at least was. Dad where are we going is super popular. my favorite is hidden singer 2 right now. if you want to watch the episodes raw you can go to joovideo or get tving. or use something like naver vod.

LEMME SEE

HOW YOU GON' TREAT ME!

I AINT NO EASY

BETTER THINK ABOUT IT TWICE!!!

NoboriRyu

NoboriRyu

Potato

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGermany

I always watch on viki.com they even had the license for Europe for the show Heirs^^

I also watched :

Master's Sun 

My girlfriend is a Gumiho

Panda and Hedgehog

elixer

elixer

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts
MASTE R SO UN IS SO GOM DH OKY H*cK 소ㅗ지서ㅓㅓㅓ버ㅓ버버더ㅗ겨중ㅈIS O SO HO T +_______+ tH EHEI R S OOGM G FRI KK 우빈♡우빈♡우빈♡우빈♡우빈♡ whYA T OTHE R ACTORS DO U LIKE??????? dO U LIKE JO INSUNG??????? JONGSUK?????????????
i hated panda and hedgehog omfg the girl was waaay to annoying to me. the idol guy was cute but i hate super junior too so i just decided to stop watching ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
aRE U WATCHIN G MAN FROM THE STARS

LEMME SEE

HOW YOU GON' TREAT ME!

I AINT NO EASY

NomMango

NomMango

Potato

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCaptain America's kitchen

Master Sun's & Reply 1994. Although Heirs is overrated. 

tumblr_ninw4pAn5f1sgdvj1o1_400.gif

Excuse me, while I clean this glass. Teehee.

Manga | Tumblr

elixer

elixer

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts

Master Sun's & Reply 1994. Although Heirs is overrated. 

"heirs is overrated" u mean @ the mbc awards???? ok h*ck ya it was sorta kinda maybe just a little overrated but.. it was juicy no lie :-//

also there is no denying kim woobin super fine hail mary full of grace oh buddha savior muhammad.. but he's not as hot as jo insung imo. literally hottest actor in any drama alive idc if he a dad already!!1 master's sun was good :-((((((((((((((((((((( u watched 1997 rigHT??? frI K K OHYA>>>...... eunji is the bae she really is. and did u see inguk's summer movie??? wITH JONgSUK?????? idc about yuri but damn...2 hotties nd they both want u.... lucky girl..... but ironically enough she is lesbian irl ?????????????

i refuse to watch 1994...so glad it's over.....now no one can tell me abt hot dad J UnGWOO fRIKK>......................................................................he is literal hot bomb??? 

LEMME SEE

HOW YOU GON' TREAT ME!

I AINT NO EASY

NomMango

NomMango

Potato

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCaptain America's kitchen

"heirs is overrated" u mean @ the mbc awards???? ok h*ck ya it was sorta kinda maybe just a little overrated but.. it was juicy no lie :-//

also there is no denying kim woobin super fine hail mary full of grace oh buddha savior muhammad.. but he's not as hot as jo insung imo. literally hottest actor in any drama alive idc if he a dad already!!1 master's sun was good :-((((((((((((((((((((( u watched 1997 rigHT??? frI K K OHYA>>>...... eunji is the bae she really is. and did u see inguk's summer movie??? wITH JONgSUK?????? idc about yuri but damn...2 hotties nd they both want u.... lucky girl..... but ironically enough she is lesbian irl ?????????????

i refuse to watch 1994...so glad it's over.....now no one can tell me abt hot dad J UnGWOO fRIKK>......................................................................he is literal hot bomb??? 

I meant Heirs is overrated in general. I didn't get how KMH & PSH won the couple award when KWB and her had a much better chemistry together. 

Oh my god. I loved Reply 1997! It was seriously the best drama I have watched in so long. I recommend it to all of my friends! I didn't get a chance to watch SIG's summer movie yet. I have been busy catching up on my manga readings :( Boo hoo :( LOL, I don't think Yuri is a lesbian. Did you heard about Yoona and Seung Ri dating? :batoto_032: 

Oh my god. I don't even get me started on Reply 1994's ending. I shipped Chilbong & Na Jeong together... and Shin PD f*cked it up for me. I'm guessing you're NaReki (Trash & Na Jeong) shipper? :) 

tumblr_ninw4pAn5f1sgdvj1o1_400.gif

Excuse me, while I clean this glass. Teehee.

Manga | Tumblr