Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Possible relations with other works

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Havoc

Havoc

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFrance
I'm opening this topic to discuss the possible relations between the different works of Tsutomu Nihei.
After re-reading Biomega, Abara and all the current chapters of Sidonia no Kishi, I noted some similarities.
But not enough to be sure they are related...

In Abara, the earth is attacked by creatures "Shirogauna", and the MC is a "Kurogauna", so they a white and black Gauna.
And in Sidonia we learn they leaved earth after it's been destroyed by the Gauna.
Is he just reusing names he like or is this related ?

In Biomega too the earth is destroyed, there are research on immortality, and the DRF owns some facilities called MSCF.
We just learned there are MSCFs on Sidonia too:
http://vatoto.com/read/_/110090/sidonia-no-kishi_v4_ch18_by_illuminati-manga/24
Then in chapter 19, we see a character called Tanba Shinsuke who "worked for Toha Industries before", Toha Industries being the firm who created Biomega's MC.

Is Nihei just reusing names or are those series truly related ?
What are your opinions ?

Edited by Havoc, 26 June 2012 - 03:40 PM.

Iantegee

Iantegee

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts
I think he's just pulling a Lovecraft and reusing terms from his other works to create implications.

Whilst I suppose that these all could be alternate verses connected to each other like the one we were shown when Killy and Cibo visited the Gravity Furnace in Blame! the verses are all too mutually exclusive to really fit together, considering that the Earth was only split in half in Knights but completely mass scattered in Abara.
Also, there is no DRF who opposes THI in Knights, so the MSCFs probably serve the same purpose, but are created by completely difference fractions.

The_nobless

The_nobless

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts
I have the feeling that the author uses the same pieces mixes thm and randomly pics some and makes a story out of it

TaruBoss

TaruBoss

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland - Ticino
dont forget to put Blame into it. as for me, i think one day Nihei will make a sum of all that great (and still confusing) storyline with some milion years lenght.

8Psycho

8Psycho

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRussia

About Blame! In 10 vol, about 85 page - Graviton radiation emitter makes appearance.

xeixei

xeixei

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

Yeah. Nihei seems to use the same materials/pieces across his works. I think either they all happen in the same universe in different time frame or in different/parallel universes.

Edited by xeixei, 28 July 2013 - 04:56 PM.

Ozen

Ozen

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 207 posts

I think Nihei Tsutomu, awesome as he is, has a long track record of recycling like crazy. "Gauna" appears in Knights and Abara; it was also mentioned in ch. 10 of "Blame Gakuen! and So On", in a third, again apparently unrelated, context. Then there's "Toha Heavy Industries" (Blame!, Biomega, Knights), the GBE (Blame!, Knights)... I seem to remember that, in Abara and its epilogue-thing ("Digimortal" or something like that?), there was a striking propensity to reuse characters' faces. Maybe it was intentional. He also did a Wolverine adaptation called "Wolverine: Snikt!", which was pretty much every Nihei Tsutomu work ever, with the addition of an ill-fitting American brimming with the gritty bravado that's so popular over here. It was pretty meh.

I don't think there's a discernible connection between any of his universes. Like, at all. The names are just reused, and that's it. The art style is very similar everywhere. (I do think the art took a turn for the worse in Knights [compared to Blame!, at least], but it's still pretty damn impressive.)

Edited by Father Deus, 10 November 2013 - 06:56 PM.

Jakken

Jakken

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 76 posts

Better think Sidonia has no real relation with the other histories and just enjoy the references, as "tributes" for the previous works.

I bet T.Nihei has not any ambition to invest in a mysterious link within different universes. Furthermore, he changed his style. This work is not more about a emotionless lone rider and it have even the self-characterization of T. Nihei in the last pages of the volumes (And remember his hilarious moment in the manga/comic event in Veneza, his sarcasm give a hint about how serious he take his own works today).

We could try list all the clear references in Sidonia, in order of appearence:

1 - Knights of Sidonia (Muse's song: Knights of Cydonia) - It's not about other work, but is a clear reference.

2 - Gaunas (Abara)

3 - The bear character (Biomega)

4 - Toha Heavy Industries (Blame)

5 - Max Security etc - MSCF (Biomega)

6 - Gravitational Beam Emitter - GBE (Blame)

7 - Tsumugi watching a "movie" what is a Biomega chapter: http://vatoto.com/read/_/199388/sidonia-no-kishi_v9_ch43_by_no-group/23

8 - Shinatose and Izana cosplaying Sanakan and Cibo (Blame): http://vatoto.com/read/_/199402/sidonia-no-kishi_v10_ch48_by_anonberg/14

Help with more!

Edited by Jakken, 18 November 2013 - 01:22 AM.

Cyrial

Cyrial

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMany places at once

In the Biomega "movie" that they watch, the speech is archaic in a sort of parallel way to how we view Shakespearean speech in modern times. Maybe Biomega is an old story/tale in Knights? Just a thought. And maybe the Gauna come from the Recreator...

Edit:

According to this, Tanikaze is immortal. What if Killy is Tanikaze, and Blame! is way in the future of Knights? Somehow he was modified into a Safeguard, and you can't deny the visual similarity between the two (and all of Nihei's MCs...). The enormous GBE in Knights is somehow condensed and handheld in Blame!

Also, Toha Heavy Industries is present in Biomega as well.

Edited by Cyrial, 05 March 2014 - 09:19 AM.

pihip

pihip

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

Considering that Blame! introduced us to stuff like the Gravity Furnace and advanced teleportation (courtesy of Toha Heavy Industries), one could be led to believe that there are multiple dimensions interacting with each other.

I am however more inclined to believe that it's simply Nihei's way to appeal to his long-time fans. Newcomers to Sidonia would read of the GBE, Toha Heavy Industries, the MSCF etc. and see nothing, while more devoted followers would enjoy it far more since it's recurring stuff - at least that's my case. :P

Also, Jakken got most of the references right, though I don't see that much of a resemblance between Sanakan, Cibo and the dresses Yure and Izana are wearing. Maybe it's because it's been such a long time since I read Blame!, but I don't remember seeing them in such, ah, risque clothing. That said, Yure sure knew how to hook up the boys when she was younger. :3

Digimortal

Digimortal

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

I was reading Shidonia these days again and thinking that there are many similarities with his other works.

I believe Sidonia is first in a timeline if we say, TOHA starts again after hundreds of years, the prototype of GBE is created, also you start to see builders swarming the place and making sidonia bigger and bigger.

If anyone remembers the megastructure in BLAME, they found this new material in sidonia.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this but all his series might have a connection somehow maybe the timeline is thousands of years. I need to re-read the mangas again.

In the Biomega "movie" that they watch, the speech is archaic in a sort of parallel way to how we view Shakespearean speech in modern times. Maybe Biomega is an old story/tale in Knights? Just a thought. And maybe the Gauna come from the Recreator...

Edit:

According to this, Tanikaze is immortal. What if Killy is Tanikaze, and Blame! is way in the future of Knights? Somehow he was modified into a Safeguard, and you can't deny the visual similarity between the two (and all of Nihei's MCs...). The enormous GBE in Knights is somehow condensed and handheld in Blame!

Also, Toha Heavy Industries is present in Biomega as well.

Also you had the same thinking as me for Killy. But I need to know how the megastructure got so huge and what happened with the netsphere.

Ozen

Ozen

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 207 posts

-snip-

Heh, nice theory. I mean, probably not, because there's a pretty direct implication that the Blame! universe did start on Earth (if you read NOiSE), but it would be fun if he turned Sidonia into the City or something resembling it.

TaruBoss

TaruBoss

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland - Ticino

. But I need to know how the megastructure got so huge and what happened with the netsphere.

i think ToHA made the constructors, those went crazy and start building inside the earth.
 or Lem VII