Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Why not do a full translation of this comic?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
This version is probably one of the best comic versions of this interesting storyline. But the whole partial translation makes it more work to read and reduces quality for me. Since the scantelator absolutely refuses to give a reason why they want it this way, I was wondering if someone else was able to speculate on the reason.

The comment claimed to be a reason given was. "Why translate names"
I would reply to that- Why not? If someones native American name is "rushing bull", you say that when translating to english, not some english semi-phonetic version of how ever "rushing" and "bull" would sound in their native tongue.

But more importantly, these terms are not necessarily used as names, but as adverbs, nouns, etc, their actual meaning.
For a page of examples among many, look here- http://vatoto.com/read/_/69406/maoyuu-maou-yuusha_v1_ch1_by_village-idiot/36
They aren't talking about the person named "Hero" at all. Yet for some reason the partial translation of "Yuusha" is used, but why?

BTW, it would be nice if some other group were to pick this comic up, one for full translations instead of partial. But also because I understand this version of the story has advanced the most in raw form, (is this wrong?) but it is far behind in translation/scantalation releases compared to another versions.

Raukcaran

Raukcaran

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 16 posts
Look dude, the reason our TL leaves 'yuusha' in, and translates as literally as possible, is to preserve the work of the author, and give you as close to the same experience as he can that Japanese readers have while reading it.

Even if you, or I, or anyone else doesn't fully agree with him, you should respect what he's trying to do for the series that he loves (trust me, he's crazy about this series). If you're not working on the project with him, you should really jusy sit down, shut up, and enjoy the ride (because it is quite enjoyable, is it not?) that is being provided to you for free.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
If this was in original Japanese, and I was a Japanese reader, I would read "Hero" (in raw, the character for "hero" is used, right?) I would not read "random collection of alphabet letters that mean nothing to me unless told or judged by context" So to best preserve the work of the author and most literally translate it, it would be best to use the actual words/full translation.

If he loves the series so much, then he would be more open to feedback, rather then slamming it down hard the moment it appears. And even if I did have the skills to work on such a project, no way would I work with such a obvious ass, I value my cool and sanity too much. (note here, I was banned from your lousy chat-room for simply trying to get answer as to why the partial translations)

If "he" wasn't working on this project, I am sure this comic is high enough quality that someone else would pick it up, so in a way it could be said he is impeding the comic being released in a better scantalation, since groups often don't want to work on projects other groups are working on.

And does anyone know how far behind the scantalation releases are from the actual raw sources? I was told that this version is actually the furthest ahead in mangas, but there is another version that is on chapter 13, yet this one is only 6, But are there enough raws out there for this one to actually be well past 13? Are the scantalations of this very far behind their raw sources?

Edited by truepurple, 11 June 2012 - 10:18 PM.

Raukcaran

Raukcaran

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 16 posts
From what I was told, you were banned because you were belligerent and did not accept the answers they gave you, you kept trying to shove your idea down our throat because you think you're right. We do not ban people without reason. And here's the thing: What you're stating is your opinion. Our TL chooses to do this because it is his opinion that what he is doing preserves the original reading environment. Since he's the one actually doing it, it's done how he wants to do it.

And so, what you're saying is that people with the name Reina (in English) should be called 'Queen', because that's what their name is derived from? So, a character in another manga named Daisuke should be called 'Big Help' in english, or whatever the kanji in his name mean (because as you should know, names can be spelled with different kanji, and the meaning changes even if it sounds the same). You say that we should translate his name as 'Hero' and also use 'hero' when talking about the concept.

Link told you what 'Yuusha' meant in a TL note, how hard is it to see yuusha and think 'hero' if you know what it means?

And I don't know about if he's behind or not, but I don't believe he's that far behind. He does almost all of this work by himself to his own exacting standards (for cleaning and making the pages look nice and pretty for you), which takes a while, he does not 'slam it down the moment it appears'. Go read some Detective Conan to see that kind of scanlation. Also, you should look at the Baka Updates page for it, instead of asking around like a lost puppy.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
The answer I was given, was essentially 'because yuusha means hero' The same reply as what you can see in the comments of the comic, and as I said there, I already knew that anyway. Such a reply was no answer at all. And then after giving such a non-answer, I was immediately and rudely shut down saying no change will be made. My persistence in getting anything like a answer, caused the ban. (well the totally bogus reason given was that I was "obviously trolling")

Your reply is by far the closest I have gotten for a answer on this issue, Ruak. And it is still incomplete as I don't see how this claim of "preserving the original reading environment" makes any kind of sense. From my perspective, it obviously causes the opposite effect.

And so, what you're saying is that people with the name Reina (in English) should be called 'Queen', because that's what their name is derived from?

Lets flip this question around. Do you think because someone with the name of Reina exists in a story, that every time someone talks about any queen, they should use the word "Reina" instead?

To flip this around even more, Lets say there was a English story with a character in it named "autumn" And we wanted to translate this story to Japanese. The most sensible solution to preserve the original reading as it would appear in english, would to use the kanji for "Autumn". Short of that, if this english story included the sentence "I will see you in the autumn." Would it make any sense to use anything other then the kanji for autumn in the translation, just because there is a character named "Autumn" in the story?

Well that is exactly what "he" did here. Not only did the translator only half way translate the words for the name, which alone moves it further from the original reading experience, he also changed all words that are the same as those names, even though not those names, which moves it even further still from the original experience and makes not a lick of sense to me.

I think the original author used these names because it was easier then thinking up random names for everyone, and it makes it easier to remember who everyone is. Now that secondary benefit in Japanese is totally lost with this translation and just makes the story more challenging to read instead of more simpler like it would be in japanese..

Ruakcaran, so is it right that every time it is translated as Yuusha, the kanji for "Hero" is used?

Edited by truepurple, 12 June 2012 - 06:42 AM.

major_shiznick

major_shiznick

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationU.S.

I think the original author used these names because it was easier then thinking up random names for everyone, and it makes it easier to remember who everyone is. Now that secondary benefit in Japanese is totally lost with this translation and just makes the story more challenging to read instead of more simpler like it would be in japanese..

Alright, I'm probably a fool for adding fuel to this fire, but I think I see the issue here. This statement is kinda faulty. "Totally lost" in translation would be if it were just written as "Hero" or just written as "Yuusha". You sacrifice one meaning for another. Linksys knows this, so he gives both--the full double-meaning. If you continue to insist that giving both sides is just "half-translation", then this is a hopeless argument. Translation is as much art as it is science, and it's a bit silly to call a very knowledgable translator's interpretation wrong.

Raukcaran

Raukcaran

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 16 posts
Whelp, I just wrote a big long reply, then my browser did something weird and deleted it.

In short, you're just arguing your opinion, and our TL is doing what is best in his opinion.

I'm not going to post anymore about common opinion based argument.
(Not that this argument is common, but that opinion based arguments are common and I don't like them.)

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

it were just written ... as "Yuusha".

It is just written as Yuusha.... Unless you mean first using the brackets to give the meaning as well?

the full double-meaning.

What double meaning are you talking about?

If you continue to insist that giving both sides is just "half-translation",

If you don't like that term, then give me another for a translation that uses a word that has absolutely no meaning at all in english, yet is not a japanese character. A translation that mostly (hard to figure on exact pronunciation based on those characters anyway, I don't remember any rules in english class for pronouncing uu for example or know any english words that have that) gives you pronunciation without meaning. With this I am just talking about the words like "Yuusha", and am well aware that the english definition is given for these words at first in brackets above, at first.

Ruak, I gave you some sound logic that makes this discussion more then just opinions, even asked you some pointed demonstrative questions which your not replying to (or maybe not recreating your reply to)

Edited by truepurple, 12 June 2012 - 07:25 PM.

sonnasoubidedaijoubuka

sonnasoubidedaijoubuka

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
Posted Image

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
Wow, such a perfect example of a lazy dumb poster, it exceeded my imagination.

Aurega

Aurega

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 64 posts
  • LocationVI-scans
If you're unhappy then do your own translations if you think you can do it better then purple.

Santiclause

Santiclause

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
truepurple raises valid criticisms, and I would like to hear a proper response beyond "opinions lol."

Although, on further perusal, I think I've decided to just hold off on this version. The choices made seem to be prohibitively stupid. I'll just stick with the other, "official" serialization - I don't know how this one compares, because it doesn't appear to have a competent translation. It's hard enough to grasp when I know what they're saying having read the other one - I can't even imagine the extent to which the awkward turns of phrase and translation choices would hinder somebody reading for the first time. The strange use of angled brackets, the random capitalization of normal nouns - the usage of "Yuusha" not only as Hero's name (which is somewhat strange, not on average, but in this specific context, given that in this story, people's proper names are their titles) but also as the word "hero" itself - e.g, "the Yuusha", "a Yuusha."

That's fucking strange.

I can only hope that this group goes back over the first six chapters, or another group picks this up.

Edited by Santiclause, 22 June 2012 - 06:01 AM.

Linksys

Linksys

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 7 posts
lol

truepurple raises valid criticisms, and I would like to hear a proper response beyond "opinions lol."

I stopped reading after this sentence. Not necessarily because I would argue "opinions lol", but because you actually made me laugh out loud.

I have edited this post many times because I needed to receive authorization on the content of my post from my higher-ups.

Edited by Linksys, 23 June 2012 - 07:51 AM.

I made this site: http://vi-scans.com/
I do super literal (faithful) translations.
Posted Image

soranokira

soranokira

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 687 posts
strange use of angled brackets. right. about that, just like to point out, I actually really like the way Linksys did it. Often, authors like to use kanji with furi that means slightly different things. The slightly angled brackets is meant to portray the double meaning there. (e.g. the kanji saying it in japanese while the furi in katakana, aka english, and stuff like that. There were cases where something like "Holy Sword of Promised Victory" <Excalibur> was merely translated as Excalibur because just reading and tl-ing the furi is easier/faster than keeping both the furi and the kanji.)
Posted Image
Favorite Manga: Record of Fallen Vampire, Hayate the Combat Butler, Kekkaishi
Main reason: Akabara Strauss and plot/story flow, Tennousu Athena arc/Katsura Hinagiku, Kidoin Nura and story flow

sonnasoubidedaijoubuka

sonnasoubidedaijoubuka

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted Image

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
Soranokira, ok so that post was decent compared to this other crap, but you still manage to completely avoid talking about the main issue in that post. On the other hand Santiclause, made a well thought out post, which may not be perfect, but it was better then Raukcarans, which was much better then the rest of you clowns, especially the Baka above me who only knows how to post dumb ass image links. For future reference, this asswipe troll with the long random user name, who registered just to make two posts with no text at all, and just dumbass images, I will now just call Baka.

I would not be surprised if the whole scantilator group mostly just turns off their brains altogether for most of the day. The decision to used untranslated non-name words in a comic because it is supposedly closer to the original Japenese reader experience or any other inane unmentioned (either because they are too arrogant to bother, or because they realize they got nothing, most probably the latter with the former mixed in) reason, is not that different then Baka's inane posts. Hell, perhaps Baka is their poster child and spokesman, vocalizing with images, thoughts that originated in some peoples large intestinals.

Edited by truepurple, 25 June 2012 - 09:51 PM.

Trebor

Trebor

Voice to the Voiceless

• Administrators
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationUSA
This thread is being locked, for the reason articulated by Raukcaran, which is substantially the same reason that your thread here and many of your other threads have been locked.

truepurple, please stop attacking our users. Also, stop asking unanswerable questions / continue badgering people after you have received an answer.
Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri