Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

A great slice-of-life manga

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

KanameFujiwara

KanameFujiwara

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
This manga has done a tremendous job in portraying relationships in a nice, heartwarming manner and for that it deserves much praise.

TQ

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationArizona (or somewhere in the forest riding a unicorn)
Yes, it is a nice one I'm glad the translations are running again.

Liar

Liar

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 472 posts
That is wonderful news!

Dionaea

Dionaea

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
It really is lovely, and even though it started with the death of Youko, even though that's sad, it's still wonderfully light and sweet.

KanameFujiwara

KanameFujiwara

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts

It really is lovely, and even though it started with the death of Youko, even though that's sad, it's still wonderfully light and sweet.

I know. This manga has that kind of effects on people.

TQ

GrimNights

GrimNights

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts
I know as the parent of young kids this really pulls at the heart strings lol

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California
I really like this one. Good characters, great art, and a story that is heartwarming and not filled with angst and over-reacting emotion. I think the author has done a great job with this, and look forward to further chapters. One does get tired of drama queen stories after a while, and this makes a great change.

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
I started this reading this because I really liked the start of Usagi Drop.

I feel that this is perhaps better than it.

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

I like this better than Usagi Drop, too. I didn't dislike Usagi Drop, per se, and it definitely had its' moments of comedy and good feeling, but My Girl is a really nice story, about characters who always try to do what's right and do their best. Koharu is adorable, too.

Edited by Comadrin, 02 December 2013 - 03:37 AM.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
I actually didn't like Usagi Drop after the time skip where she became a teen, I liked the earlier part of it quite a bit, but not after that at all, I felt like it became a completely different manga and I pretty much dropped it. This one is written better.

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
Well, I wrote a large reply for the latest chapter, and it disappeared into the aether! Extremely annoying. I re-wrote it, and it appeared on the main page comments. Well, if anyone wants to read my comments (fat chance) go there. Still one of my favorite slice of life manga, and will be unless it goes in some unexpected or lousy direction.

Edited by Comadrin, 17 December 2012 - 10:31 PM.

Genboke

Genboke

Potato

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationInside vanilla ice~
I remember the first time i saw it by chance, it really didn't catch my eye, because i don't usually read slice-of-life types, but the illustrations where so pretty (and i'm a person who cares a lot about this when is manga related) so that hook me up immediately and since then i can't stop reading it. I always wait patiently to the next update. The story felt so real that i cried along Masamune & Koharu, all along. Even now i cryed because of Katagiri-san and all this troublesome combination of feelings-past-present-mournful-masamune, who's struggling between moving forward or stay with the memories forever... agh! so hard (life like this) But as hard as life can be, you can't return back time, and anymoment Masamune would realize this (would be very painful) and maybe give Kitagiri-san a second chance... i hope so, for Koharu-chan's sake too.

tumblr_n3ceyv5wyg1t8slm6o2_250.giftumblr_n3ceyv5wyg1t8slm6o4_250.gif

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
I don't like that girl from his office at all, It's not really that I don't like her per se, I just don't think she is a good choice for a gf, for him, and it's not like he is in love with her, he is just pushing himself where he doesn't really feel it, it would be better if he found someone he was attracted to, just getting into a relationship to be in a relationship is bad. So I am not hoping for it.

Edited by inzaratha, 08 December 2012 - 03:24 AM.

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
I agree with you, except that I can't help liking Katagiri. She is fighting against what, to him (and Koharu) was an all-encompassing love. She is pretty fragile, and the "help" and "advice" she is getting from the self-serving scumbags that pose as her friends and co-workers are apparently designed to destroy any self confidence she has. Koharu's grandmother and Masamune's mother trying to push him into getting married ASAP is also pretty stupid, if they are trying to help him and Koharu. Give him some damned time to grieve and get past the death of his lover, which was pretty much sprung on him in a difficult fashion, not to mention how much he is still learning about her and her feelings for him. Katagiri is really a pretty decent girl. The co-workers are a nasty lot of unpleasant dirtbags who would be vastly improved by having to clean up offal in disadvantaged neighborhoods. The grandmother and mother should support quietly from the sidelines. It's not like Masamune is in danger of becoming a total recluse/hermit while grieving for Koharu's mother. His greatest weakness is that he is a totally nice guy, unlike the asswipes he works with.

It looks, at the moment, as though a happy ending for Katagiri and Masamune isn't in the cards. As a slice of life manga, this isn't totally necessary to the plot, but I would like both of them to have a happy ending, even if it is not with each other. They are both pretty decent people, and I can understand where they are both coming from.

I still cannot help but wonder why Koharu's mother kept her pregnancy and their daughter from Masamune the entire time she was alive. Both of them adore her, and she is painted in the manga as a totally fabulous and unforgettable character, but that is kind of strange to me. I wonder if there is more to that part of the story than we have seen yet.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
I think that she ( his deceased gf ) didn't want to tell him because he was still in high school at the time and she wanted him to go to college and knew if he found out, he would not do that but work to support her and the baby instead that was what I got out of it back when I was reading that part anyway.

Edited by inzaratha, 08 December 2012 - 07:29 PM.

Runyst

Runyst

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts
aaaaaaaaand it has ended.
This manga was absolutely beautiful. The artwork was beautiful as was the story and even the characters. The author did a great job in making the characters truly humans who have flaws. The best part was with the portrayal of the problems that popped up and how they were dealt with. A story about how the common person all have their own problems and yet, continue to live on despite their burdens and losses. Truly a slice of life that doesn't rely on common stereotypes to move the story along, My Girl is just so....beautiful.

Genboke

Genboke

Potato

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationInside vanilla ice~
ToT *sobs profusely* .... the final day has come and i'm so sad! The story was fantastic and beautiful, Koharu-Masamune-Katagiri & everyone felt so real, each one facing their normal and daily life problems, and Sasahara Mizu portrayed every detail so clever & beautifully that i learned myself a lot from this. It changed my pointofview on many things and help me understand a bit how a single-parent feels about life and the hardships they have to live to keep on going. Aaaahhh i'm really gonna missed them so much! I think i'd re-read it sometime again ^_^

tumblr_n3ceyv5wyg1t8slm6o2_250.giftumblr_n3ceyv5wyg1t8slm6o4_250.gif

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
Yeah, I'm going to really miss it too, especially Koharu and her ladybugs. I love the way that the mangaka was able to keep the drama and incredible slice of life story going while understating raw emotions. So many manga (and film and stage dramas) have to ham it up to the max to get their points across. To convey the same thing with subtlety is a real gift, and this mangaka has done it to perfection. I'll definitely be back to re-read this one.

My thanks to the mangaka and to the scanlators. You have given us a great journey and a heartfelt story.

wafflecookee

wafflecookee

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Yeah know sometimes characters are obviously unlikable for reasons we can't see until we look at it. But that's why I like Katagiri and that one dude Kurode I think? Everyone has their circumstances. I still don't think Masamune is in love love with Katagiri at the end and I doubt it will ever be the same as with Youko. And that's perfectly fine. I would have liked to see more about how they sealed the deal and became a family but the ending was reasonable. A woman who you just had a big fight with searches along side you desperately to find your daughter. Even if she is somewhat partly responsible for the situation she didn't have to search with him the whole time. You'd have to be pretty dense to not understand the love you're being given. I think it was because they were able to connect through that even through the jealousy and the grief. I mean it was all a bit fast paced for me and I definitely would have liked more. But I felt it ended on a nice note. Short and to the point. Koharu and Masamune both love Youko very much and always will. However they can see that she see's them as important and eventually come to reciprocate that and form a bond. I love the art in this manga. 

I was also curious about why she left without telling him. But then again she was 4 years older than him and I didn't notice this until the memory between the two of them exchanging the ladybug eraser.

I just realized I replied to a post that is over 2 years old haha. Oh well my two cents :). Wonderful read. Taiyou No Ie or House of the Sun is another wonderful manga if you enjoyed this. Not the same father daughter relationship as the main focus. But wonderful nonetheless.