Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Characters and Terms

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Kalladin

Kalladin

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 293 posts
Ogi Juugo - Main Character
Misa Tsukahira - aka Emika Hirayama

Dice Production
Yokomizo
Ruka-chan

Misc
Acchan
Two People's Touch

Edited by ChibiKall, 06 June 2012 - 01:18 AM.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationArizona (or somewhere in the forest riding a unicorn)
I am liking this one so far.

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California
So am I. It reminds me of Love Lucky, but shows the raunchy underside of the entertainment industry even quicker and more unpleasantly than that manga does.

My opinion of the mother (director) hasn't changed. She said things to Juugo that were more than just hurtful, counting on the fact that he is a gentleman and wouldn't break every bone in her body. She also still views her daughter as a commodity, first and foremost, and went as far as to break her word to her (not to plaster her face everywhere while she was still in high school) without telling her a word. In the beginning, she "thinks her high school daughter/commodity has a boyfriend," and still lets her stay out all night. Some mother! In view of her conversation with the perverted yakuza scumbag (can we say Jimmy Savile, anyone?), she knew perfectly well that she was sending the model that Juugo is managing out to prostitute herself for a role. Maybe she whored her own way into stardom, but did she plan on doing it to her own daughter as well, if her popularity didn't stay at the top? Maybe she dragged Juugo back into show business so his honest personality would bring some legitimacy to the industry or to protect her daughter, but the fact that she didn't know who her daughter's boyfriend even was until she went to visit him, makes that assumption rather suspect.

I realize that show biz is nothing but a profit motive PR machine (certainly for those of us living in the US) and talent is certainly a secondary concern, but licking the boots of scum is still licking the boots of scum, and any job that demands that is not legitimate as far as I'm concerned. I've run into people like the manager who is training the mc many times in my life. He bobs his head and licks the boots of anyone in "authority," and physically and psychologically bullies anyone he has authority over. He has absolutely no empathy toward anyone, including the young girl he is set to manage, and has the perfect personality to be a low level stooge in a police state, or a guard at a concentration camp. I'll bet he'd sell his own sister into prostlitution.

So far, this manga has more serious social commentary about a world that we, the public, are conditioned to regard as glamorous and wonderful and to be envious of, than most that I have read. I'm looking forward to seeing what the mangaka is going to tell in the future chapters.

Edited by Comadrin, 19 December 2012 - 01:19 AM.

Lowlightt

Lowlightt

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 48 posts

So am I. It reminds me of Love Lucky, but shows the raunchy underside of the entertainment industry even quicker and more unpleasantly than that manga does.

My opinion of the mother (director) hasn't changed. She said things to Juugo that were more than just hurtful, counting on the fact that he is a gentleman and wouldn't break every bone in her body. She also still views her daughter as a commodity, first and foremost, and went as far as to break her word to her (not to plaster her face everywhere while she was still in high school) without telling her a word. In the beginning, she "thinks her high school daughter/commodity has a boyfriend," and still lets her stay out all night. Some mother! In view of her conversation with the perverted yakuza scumbag (can we say Jimmy Savile, anyone?), she knew perfectly well that she was sending the model that Juugo is managing out to prostitute herself for a role. Maybe she whored her own way into stardom, but did she plan on doing it to her own daughter as well, if her popularity didn't stay at the top? Maybe she dragged Juugo back into show business so his honest personality would bring some legitimacy to the industry or to protect her daughter, but the fact that she didn't know who her daughter's boyfriend even was until she went to visit him, makes that assumption rather suspect.

I realize that show biz is nothing but a profit motive PR machine (certainly for those of us living in the US) and talent is certainly a secondary concern, but licking the boots of scum is still licking the boots of scum, and any job that demands that is not legitimate as far as I'm concerned. I've run into people like the manager who is training the mc many times in my life. He bobs his head and licks the boots of anyone in "authority," and physically and psychologically bullies anyone he has authority over. He has absolutely no empathy toward anyone, including the young girl he is set to manage, and has the perfect personality to be a low level stooge in a police state, or a guard at a concentration camp. I'll bet he'd sell his own sister into prostlitution.

So far, this manga has more serious social commentary about a world that we, the public, are conditioned to regard as glamorous and wonderful and to be envious of, than most that I have read. I'm looking forward to seeing what the mangaka is going to tell in the future chapters.

Are we reading the same manga? So far while good, its used pretty cliche tv tropes of the tv/movie industry. I don't see this serious social commentary you are talking about. I see pretty standard Pervy Director hits on actress (way over used mind you), I've seen standard training guy looks down on and hates MC for flippant reason as to act as a foil. (Again rather common in a "Guy gets handpicked for a job he didn't even know he wanted" story. If you think this story is a social commentary, then I'm sorry to tell you its not. It simply a pretty standard plot storyline.