Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Signing up to the Korean Kubera Fancafe

KuCa fancafe sign-up

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
This post explains how to sign up to the KuCa (Kubera Fancafe).

Now why would you want to sign up to the Korean fancafe? Well:
- Thousands of fanarts (nearing 10,000 I think?)
- Hundreds of comics
- Wait, you need More reasons?

A handful of us have already signed up to the KuCa. The people there are pretty friendly, and a lot of them speak at least basic English. Non-Korean speakers have so far been able to post in the fanart, fanfic and discussion sections without too much problems.

Just avoid giving the rest of us a bad reputation when you choose to sign up as well, okay? :3

Now for the sign-up!

Disclaimer: I do not take credit for the information in this guide. All of this was assembled from the information provided by other, more helpful people like LyuMir, who can actually read Korean. I will, on the other hand, try to help you avoid the blunders that -I- made while signing up. >.>;;

I. Registering a Naver account

There are several visual tutorials on how to sign up to Naver. The first result of a google search seems to give very good instructions:
http://www.leddytech.com/stuff/naver_english.pdf

Edit: Okay, apparently some things differed from that one (I signed up quite a while ago, so I don't remember which tutorial I used exactly > >; ). Try this one if the last one didn't work?
http://tkfund.typepad.com/blog/2009/11/naver-cafe-reister-tutorial.html

When you have to provide your mobile phone information, either look up your country code online, or paste your country name into Google translator to look up the Korean name. You'll get the SMS very fast, like, after a few seconds. You'll also need to receive another confirmation code by email.

Now you have a Naver account! Try not to lose your username like I did the first time. T_T The control panel looks like the control center for a spaceship. D:

II. Signing up to KuCa

This post explains the sign-up process:
http://cafe.naver.com/currykubera/56184

Basically, sign-up occurs in several steps:
1. Click the designated sign-up button (see guide)
2. The list of "questions" is actually a list of rules. You can just answer "yes" to every item. Follow the other instructions in the guide.

Congratulations! You've signed up! Or not. You still need to go through a few additional steps to gain full access.
3. Make your way to the "Joiner board" as shown in the guide. You need a minimum of 5 replies, so find 5 other "Introduction posts" and post random comments such as "Hi! Nice to meet you! I'm also trying to join up! :D " (yeah just post something in English)
4. Now you have to make your own "Introduction post." Answer the questions. You need a miminum of 150 characters, so don't keep it too short. Just write in English, rather than torture yourself by trying to do something in Korean like I did. xP
5. That's about it. For a while nothing will happen. Don't panic. It takes a while for them to process things (a few days at most though), so just sit back and relax rather than worry if you did something wrong.

After a few days you should gain access to the other sections. Enjoy the fanworks! :D

Note: one thing that may seem confusing is a certain page you may get directed to with stuff like "make 5 posts (not replies to posts) etc. to rank up." These refer to additional titles you can get After you've gained access to the rest of the fancafe, but isn't part of the sign-up process, so don't be confused about it. For example, you gain the rank of Academy Student after making 5 posts, 100 replies etc.

III. Rules

One of the members of the KuCa posted the rules in English:
http://cafe.naver.com/currykubera/56163

Edit: There is now a new post about the rules of the KuCa:
http://cafe.naver.com/currykubera/69223

Please read it carefully. Also, try not to break the "friendliness" rule. The KuCa prohibits you from acting too friendly with one or another member. This is to avoid making newbies feel left out. I'm not sure to what extent this applies, but for example try to avoid naming the people from this thread who helped you out, and avoid specifically welcoming your other foreign friends ("hey, you finally made it!") etc. You can post whatever you want here though. Better safe than sorry. :)

Here are some of the not-so-obvious rules:
  • Don't get too friendly with an individual. This means don't go advertising that you're great friends with him, etc. The reason for this rule is to avoid making newbies feel uncomfortable and left out.
  • Unlike forums, where you can just keep posting on and on and on, when you're replying to a thread, you're not supposed to start a very long conversation. A few replies back and forth is okay, but don't drag it out too long.
  • This fanfic rule: "Fanfic: DO NOT change basic Kubera world view and feature of characters" apparently applies to fancomics as well. I found out the hard way. Whoops? D: Basically, I've seen lots of comics that parody the style of other comics, as well as a few comics of the Sura in modern human settings, so That seems to be okay, but drawing a comic of the human characters as Sura for example (which is what I did) seems off-limit.
Please post here if you have any other questions, though I seem to be the one breaking most of the more subtle rules. @_@;;

Edit: And yay! Fiveseconds offered a fully visual guide on how to change your um... Personacon: :)
http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/6566-signing-up-to-the-korean-kubera-fancafe/page__view__findpost__p__234722

Edited by Mizura, 29 August 2012 - 03:09 PM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Signia

Signia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 36 posts
I feel shy asking this but does it take them several days to send you the email with the confirmation code? ._. I'm wondering if I did something wrong and will need to try and make another Naver account. x:

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Um, no, the confirmation code should show up within seconds. :S Push the button near where you enter your email, when you do that the confirmation code should get sent to your email. Copy that code into the proper field. Someone else who was trying to sign up apparently pressed the button several times, and got the confirmation code several times.

I did hear that there were problems with some email services though. I use Yahoo, and that worked fine, but I heard some services may experience problems (I forgot if it was hotmail or something else)... If it doesn't work, try another email account?

Good luck! :)

Edited by Mizura, 12 June 2012 - 03:26 PM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

Signia

Signia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 36 posts
Ah thanks. I finally got a naver account. @_@ I think I'm in the Introduction area but as I cannot read a word anywhere, I'm somewhat terrified of posting anything haha.

fiveseconds

fiveseconds

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 228 posts
No problem! I was really shy too at first but all you have to do is make five comments. Even if you just say "hi, nice to meet you!" it's fine. They'll usually respond by saying "hi, it's nice to meet you too!" Remember to wait a day or two afterwards. I think for me it took a day. I was actually panicking about doing something wrong and not knowing what to do next but nope, they just need time. xD I'll be looking for you there!

Edited by fiveseconds, 12 June 2012 - 06:54 PM.

Signia

Signia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 36 posts
Thank you for the words of encouragement! It helped a lot. ;_; I hope I did it right. D:

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
You really act as shy as your avatar. x'D
Well, it's better than the nervous disheveled wreck I felt like when -I- first signed up. @_@;;

3492bk6.jpg

fiveseconds

fiveseconds

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 228 posts
I'm pretty sure we were all really nervous when we signed up. xD It's not everyday you have to talk with people who converse primarily in a foreign language. Well, it's good practice for worldwide travelling, if anyone ever decides to do that.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Well... I was the first (that I knew of) to sign up there, and I lacked what I think is the single biggest advice I gave here: "Just post everything in English."

I was trying to gather bits of Korean sentences here and there, and I'm pretty sure I made a fool of myself in the process, until some of the friendly KuCa members went "You can post in English. :) " xD

Most awkward part of KuCa interactions: Koreans telling you: "I'm sorry, my English is not good. :( " (I mean, we're the ones at fault for not speaking Korean D: )

3492bk6.jpg

Signia

Signia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 36 posts
I would probably never even have tried to join if you didn't make this post Mizura. ^^; So thank you for the pioneering efforts lol.

If anyone ever apologizes to me for their English, I'll just tell them it's fine and it's much better than my nonexistent Korean. :D

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Sure, but after several dozen or so people apologize for the same thing, it starts to feel really weird. D: They're really so polite.

And you're welcome! :) Did you manage to sign up?

Edited by Mizura, 13 June 2012 - 05:41 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Signia

Signia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 36 posts
Yeah I have. Just waiting to get access to the fanarts place. :)

salaza189

salaza189

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts
I've signed up to Kubera site, thanks to you, Mizura. Thank you so much :D Could I ask, is there any special require for fanart site? I tried clicking a fanart, and a sign (which I couldn't read) appeared

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
It seems like you didn't complete steps 3., 4. and 5. of Signing Up to the KuCa? If you have a sign blocking you, that means you've only finished steps 1. and 2., so you don't have "full access" to the other sections yet.

Once you've finished the last 3 steps, you have to wait a while until you're granted full access. It shouldn't take longer than a couple of days though. :)

3492bk6.jpg

salaza189

salaza189

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts
Actually I posted the Introdution post. Maybe I should wait for a few days :) Maybe I'm just nervous. When I first posted replies, I were so nervous that I forgot to count the replies, so when I received the annoucement that I could post a post, I were freak out and prayed I didn't do anything wrong. Turn out just an announce that I could post now >__>

fiveseconds

fiveseconds

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 228 posts
I don't think you need to count the replies you've made. ^^ The five posts you did before your introductory post should be enough. After posting the introductory post, you have to wait. I remember feeling so nervous about it because I thought I had done something wrong and I kept asking Mizura what to do next and she didn't understand what I was trying to say. xD

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Yeah, I got Totally confused as to what's been done already and what hadn't. @_@

I'm kind of lazy so I rarely bother to check up on the joiner board, even though it should be obvious there when an English-speaker signs up. >.>;;
Hmm... I see Salaza now. Is Signia Celastria? The posts seem fine. Whoa, a lot of English-speaking Asians posting in the KuCa. @_@;; (I'm kind of one too lol)

Anyway, both your posts seem recent, so yes, just wait a few days. :) I think they do the approval manually, or something (not sure though), and since we make posts in English, it may be slower for them to check them (I have no idea actually).

Edited by Mizura, 14 June 2012 - 02:21 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Signia

Signia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 36 posts
Yes I'm Celastria. ^^ Was supposed to be Signia there too but I didn't know which name it was going to use during the creating account part.

I'm waiting patiently. :) Do they send you a notification if you get access to the restricted areas or will a pop up show?

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
I actually don't remember. But one day you'll just suddenly have full access to the fanart section. :S

Anyway, drop a word when you've gained full access. :)

3492bk6.jpg

Bergamot

Bergamot

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea, Gyeonggi-do
Wow....

(I'm Kubera fan.. Korean.)