Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Any heavy metal lovers? If so, which bands are your fav?

Heavy metal Black metal Death metal Thrash metal

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Saiga

Saiga

Potato

• Members
  • 170 posts

On the topic of Opeth: I've heard of them, seen guys wearing their band tees, yet for some reason i've put off listening to them.

\o/ How did you hear of them? I didn't know they were an Aussie band till just now. I'm liking what I've heard so far, but if you have any recommendations on what to listen to that would be cool.

Guessing you're talking about Twelve Foot Ninja based on my memory of my quote and the Australia thing. Hope I'm right. I just stumbled across them on reddit a while ago. Probably like a year or so ago? Somewhere around there.

As for recommendations, I'm not really sure if you're looking for more stuff from Australia or more stuff like Twelve Foot Ninja, so I'll do a bit of both.

Australia:

Caligula's Horse

Karnivool (A long shot with not knowing Karnivool, but you never know)

Like Twelve Foot NInja:
Intervals (Their last album is the only with vocals)
The Contortionist (Sort of. I'd recommend their latest album)

Oh and listen to Opeth. Just do it. :u

osakaki

osakaki

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 732 posts
  • LocationTake my crutches, I'm going back to the youth

yet for some reason i've put off listening to them.

doooo eeeeeet

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

does anyone here listen to progressive/alternative? stuff like periphery, trivium, darkest hour etc.?

Kind of a Manly Man-chan

Kind of a Manly Man-chan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Locationnonexistence

Guessing you're talking about Twelve Foot Ninja based on my memory of my quote and the Australia thing. Hope I'm right. I just stumbled across them on reddit a while ago. Probably like a year or so ago? Somewhere around there.

As for recommendations, I'm not really sure if you're looking for more stuff from Australia or more stuff like Twelve Foot Ninja, so I'll do a bit of both.

Australia:

Caligula's Horse

Like Twelve Foot NInja:
The Contortionist (Sort of. I'd recommend their latest album)

Oh and listen to Opeth. Just do it. :u

I second Caligula's Horse, Been one of my favorite go to bands.

Same applies to Karnivool.

The Contortionist's latest album is really good, had the pleasure of seeing them live on their Protest the Hero Europe tour.

Que?

You

You

Savage Potato

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

doooo eeeeeet

yessir. My sister's bf loves Opeth as I've recently discovered. She got them tickets to their concert in May, so I expect ill be hearing more of Opeth till then xD

Australia:
Caligula's Horse

Like Twelve Foot NInja:
The Contortionist (Sort of. I'd recommend their latest album)Oh and listen to Opeth. Just do it. :u

oh, yeah, I should've mentioned who I was talking about. Reddit? Random..havent thought of looking there for music.
I'm good on the Australian music front xD
Veeery longshot indeed xD haven't been able to get into Karnivool's latest album Asymmetry (admittedly I haven't listened to it much). BUT, I'm going to their Themata - Decade concert in May : DDD

Anyway, counter-recc-you-didn't-ask-for-but-will-get: The Butterfly Effect. The album Final Conversation of Kings has a much more..progressive sound, compared to Begins Here, which is heavier.
[Another recommendation cause I need to tell someone about them] Australian band Kingswood. They're not metal, but idc. >.> they've been likened to Queens of the Stone Age, and Kings of Leon.

Haven't heard of Caligula's Horse so I'll check them out.
Intervals - are they good vocals? I get kinda picky when it comes to vocals...I'll check them out too.
The contortionist - listening to Language I: intuition now. o,o

Opeth- Okaaay. I'll start from what was listed on the previous page.

Edited by You, 02 April 2015 - 02:11 AM.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_9e1zrqkbvu8s

Saiga

Saiga

Potato

• Members
  • 170 posts

oh, yeah, I should've mentioned who I was talking about. Reddit? Random..havent thought of looking there for music.
I'm good on the Australian music front xD
Veeery longshot indeed xD haven't been able to get into Karnivool's latest album Asymmetry (admittedly I haven't listened to it much). BUT, I'm going to their Themata - Decade concert in May : DDD

Anyway, counter-recc-you-didn't-ask-for-but-will-get: The Butterfly Effect. The album Final Conversation of Kings has a much more..progressive sound, compared to Begins Here, which is heavier.
[Another recommendation cause I need to tell someone about them] Australian band Kingswood. They're not metal, but idc. >.> they've been likened to Queens of the Stone Age, and Kings of Leon.

Haven't heard of Caligula's Horse so I'll check them out.
Intervals - are they good vocals? I get kinda picky when it comes to vocals...I'll check them out too.
The contortionist - listening to Language I: intuition now. o,o

Opeth- Okaaay. I'll start from what was listed on the previous page.

Luckily for me, I remembered You and your post. :P

/r/progmetal was pretty good for finding music for a while, but it gets to a point where the same bands get posted so there's not much new stuff to discover from them. Which is where it sort of is now for me as well. I use my last.fm recommendations a bit, but last.fm hasn't recommended anything I want to listen to for a while either.

Oh, so you must be Australian then? That does make a bit of sense now that I think about it.

I'll check out The Butterfly Effect and Kingswood. Needing some new music and I'm not too picky at all.

Caligula's Horse - Enjoy o:

Intervals - I think the vocals are ok. I mean, the band went from instrumental to having a vocalist (and then back to instrumental but that's not the point) so the vocalist must have sounded pretty good to someone. lol

The Contortionist - What do you think? o.o

Recommendation you didn't ask for and is a total tossup between whether you'd like it or not because I don't know what you'd like or not - Son of Aurelius - Under a Western Sun

Just something about the way the music and the vocals sound. Very powerful and catchy and all the sorts of things that make you want to listen to an album on repeat.

Forgettable

Forgettable

Potato

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationA home that I could die in
I like Atmospheric Black Metal and DSBM
also Funeral Doom/Doom Metal/Slude Metal but I don't really listen to much metal anymore
favorite bands though are Alrakis, Bell Witch, Darkspace, Wolvhammer, Celestia, Funerary, Cattle Decapitation, Bolt Thrower, Black Sheep Wall, Admiral Angry, Sunn O))), Boris, and Khanate

Edited by Forgettable, 25 November 2015 - 03:39 AM.

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

out of the "big four" of thrash, megadeth are probably my favorite, as they keep making stuff that's actually relevant, unlike the other 3. metallica's albums from ride the lightning to and justice for all beats megadeth for thrash, though. megadeth is more speed metal than anything. megadeth are coming out with something in 2016, but judging from the song they just released, fatal illusion, it's not going to be a huge improvement. still better than super collider, though.

i've also gotten more into progressive metal than before (used to only listen to metalcore such as it dies today (best album: sirens), darkest hour (best albums: the eternal return, deliver us), still remains (best album: ceasing to breathe) etc.), and periphery remains a top favorite, but veil of maya and born of osiris came out with some of their best albums this year (matriarch and soul sphere their 2015 albums, respectively. changing singers and signing for sumerian really revitalized the boring chugging sound that veil of maya used to have.) periphery also came out with the two juggernaut albums, which are both masterpieces in their own right.

one big progressive release that came out this year that i didn't like much was tesseract's polaris. it has a weaker sound than their previous album, altered state (which is by far one of the best progressive albums out there), and since the band doesn't do screams any more, it just sounds flaccid. people are giving it rave reviews, but it's hard to see why. less atmosphere, more mindless, directionless chords.

biggest thing to look forward to is dream theater's upcoming album, the astonishing. they haven't released anything from it yet, iirc, but it should be interesting. it's themed around some kind of magic show... dream theater always liked to sound a little dramatic.

from the alternative side, i still only really listen to trivium. though trivium's release this year, silence in the snow, is probably the worst album they've ever put out, even beating 2013's vengeance falls to how bad it was (not that vengeance falls was all that terrible, despite complaints from diehard fans.) trivium said it'd be a vocals-focused album, but even though matt's singing has improved, the instrumentals have fallen drastically, and now you could barely distinguish trivium from other cookie-cutter heavy metal bands that pop up once in a while. shogun is still their best release by a country mile, though ascendancy comes close.

Forgettable

Forgettable

Potato

• Members
  • 101 posts
The only prog metal band I like nowadays is BTBAM and that's only their Colors album.
Rest of it is a snooze fest to me lmao
though I've seen you post Periphery before and I still enjoy them every now and then.
I mostly stick with the punk/powerviolence scene when it comes to anything on the heavy side
Favorite genres though are Emo, Screamo, (actual emo and screamo, not that hot topic stuff) and Shoegaze

Edited by Forgettable, 25 November 2015 - 04:27 AM.

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

The only prog metal band I like nowadays is BTBAM and that's only their Colors album.
Rest of it is a snooze fest to me lmao
though I've seen you post Periphery before and I still enjoy them every now and then.
I mostly stick with the punk/powerviolence scene when it comes to anything on the heavy side
Favorite genres though are Emo, Screamo, (actual emo and screamo, not that hot topic stuff) and Shoegaze

i get what you mean, some progressive metal is boring. a few things can happen: either they try to be too creative and have no direction, or they try to be too alternative and end up not playing metal at all, or they aren't progressive enough and just chug endlessly until you get an absolute snoozefest.

that aside, the bands i mentioned are really heavy (with the exception of tesseract, which is notoriously soft.) so those are worth a listen.

i don't think i've heard any emo/screamo, unless marilyn manson counts (pretty sure that doesn't.) my cousin is into that, though.

ein

ein

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

If you are a false don't entry

Spoiler

Sarcofago were indeed lyrical geniuses.

XfFetsI.jpg

Forgettable

Forgettable

Potato

• Members
  • 101 posts
Deafheaven's new album is fucking LIT

GeorgeAlex

GeorgeAlex

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 923 posts

I think I was around 7-8 years old when I first got exposed to heavy metal because of my aunt. She made me listen to Guns n' Roses, Def Leppard, Scorpions, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Metallica, Aerosmith and, Motorhead. Mostly classic ones. Then after a couple of years, I've come to like so many bands such as Korn, Slipknot, Disturbed, Bring Me The Horizon, Pantera, Trivium, It Dies Today, Iron Maiden, System of A Down, Linkin Park, Apocalyptica, Sepultura, Rammstein, Halestorm, Five Finger Death Punch, Kiss and so many others. 

Edit: How could I forget Soundgarden and Megadeth?!

Edited by GeorgeAlex, 06 December 2015 - 08:16 PM.

Song of the day:
Castle On The Hill
- Ed Sheeran

Spoiler

danfare

danfare

Potato

• Members
  • 116 posts

I will appreciate all subgenre of metal, idgaf. my favorite ones are stoner, death, and some dsb metal. uuuh, favorite metal bands? i guess i'll have to pick Jerikó, The Obsessed, Death, ColdWorld, Esquizofrenia, Converge, Blood of Kingu, Arch Enemy (cant really not add this to the list, they were the first metal band i listened to), Jex Thoth, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, and so many more. I've been obsessing over Witchcraft a lot lately.

There are so many bands i've yet to listen to, that i'll probably fall in love with and yeah, heavy metal is so beautiful.

SamuraiSx

SamuraiSx

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

yeah yeah ~ among all things on my playlist there is heavy metal too ~

mainly Asian heavy metal listening and sucker for oldies. @>@ currently on plsylist newer albums by ANTHEM, old LOUDNESS Live stuff, Hurry Scuary japanese singles, X JAPAN, and good old queens SHOW-YA  :ph34r:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Emerald39

Emerald39

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 317 posts

I pretty much like every genre, but I've always had a bit of a passion for heavy metal. It's one of the few genres that I have difficulty composing in, so I listen to a lot of it for both fun and curiosity. My favourite metal bands are Royal Republic, One OK Rock, Halestorm, Escape The Fate and Fireflight. 

Jman

Jman

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Huge metal/rock fan and try to make as much concerts as I can whenever I'm off work. Last show I've seen that surprised me was Fire From The Gods. Wasn't expecting much but they are amazing and bring out so much energy to the crowd which is all you can ask for.