Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Is Lark really human?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

d4rk

d4rk

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationIn a city hotter than hell.
I don't have any evidence to claim this, but is he really human? I mean, he's kinda odd himself. If you look at it, Angela said he has fast healing abilities, something only monsters have. Also, the whole red eyes thing; it was once thought impossible for a human to have red eyes. But there are parts claiming that he's human such as not being able to learn magic, having tasty blood ( XD ), and withstanding conditions that would be considered as a death warrant for the vampires.

My bet that he's either both or some rare form of vampire/monster that developed some form of resistance to the weakness of vampires.

But all of this does seem to contradict what was said in the first few chapters: his parents thinking about putting him in a orphanage - even his parents hated him for his red eyes (heck, it didn't even seem that they love him). Most couples tend to love their kids even if its just a little. But putting a 5 year old in an orphanage because of the way he was born is too cruel. So, i got the idea that those were not his real parents.... I think that he was adopted to begin with (duh!). This could sustain the "lark not being human" theory.

Also, there's that lady that always pops up out of nowhere in his dreams saying that he doesn't belong in that world. This kinda gets my attention. Why? What does she mean? Why does she want him back in the human world? What is his connection to that lady? What are these images? I thought of 2 things so far:
  • First thing, could it be his real (if he was adopted to begin with) mom? Could his mom have sealed his "monster" or "vampire" power away so he could live a decent life in the human world? Could she be someone very important to him?
  • Second thing, if he's a pure-blood human. Could that person appearing in his dreams be a goddess or the spirit of the world he's in trying to get him to get out of there so he could avoid some cruel fate that awaits him?
Right now, i don't have enough evidence to support anything. (I do have some interest in Lark's and Setz's relationship, but I'm focusing more on Lark for now). No matter how much i think here, i keep staying in the middle, that he's both human and vampire. Even leaning a bit towards the vampire side.....

I gotta hear everyone else's theories and ideas. =3

Edited by d4rk, 24 April 2012 - 07:21 PM.

Laurens D

Laurens D

Baked Potato

• tC Donator
  • 1,475 posts
  • Locationin the tower!
Angela said he has fast healing abilities
That never happened that was because she gave him a strange plant to heal him up - Unless you can proof me wrong that is :P

Have to agree with him being human and vampire, His human part is proven when he made the introduction page and said he's human, But of course that can be half true or even not true, since it might have been made on the perspective of the reader.

I think he's both, Human's can not have baby's of vampires nor either way around. So i think he was orginally a human,

1) A vampire injected his blood and transformations accured, But he did not awaken or he's a special case of evolution thingy(Not sure what the right word is)
2) His mother was a half human, She was bitten by a vampire and changed into a servant or a real vampire. However she got a child of a human and he's a Quarter vampire. like shown in the first crepuscule a woman vampire, she went beserk and that might have been his mother.

Edited by Laurens D, 24 April 2012 - 08:55 PM.

Posted Image

This is not my fault!

You could have bought my cookies.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato
Yeah, Larks origin is very mysterious, and yeah we're definately lead to believe that that's his mother that is shown going crazy and being destroyed/killed early in the series. Not to mention his red eyes, it also seems like his previous family/guardians were talking about his parentage like they were aware of something potentially dangerous about him. I think it's still hard to do much more than speculate just yet, this series has really kept a lot hidden so far, giving us little glimpses that seem to imply a lot of connections that we can suspect but not really confirm yet. I really need to go back and reread this from the beginning, I've read the discontinued series since the current one started and I'm not sure whether or not there's any differences that I'm combining together now.

Tn7HA0h.png

Laurens D

Laurens D

Baked Potato

• tC Donator
  • 1,475 posts
  • Locationin the tower!
The story could be the same, but small things changed for example the speed etc less humor liked version 1 a lot because of the humor for example when riding that cart :P

Posted Image

This is not my fault!

You could have bought my cookies.

d4rk

d4rk

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
Well, i can't really prove you wrong (but i'll look for the chapter tomorrow to see if I'm wrong). We don't know much about the herb Angela used on Lark. I mean.... It might be an herb that only works on vampires, after all, they are in the vampire world. Why cultivate something not meant for your own species.... in a world where humans do not exist? If you think about it, Angela said that the human body and the body of a vampire are fundamentally different, so there might be a chance he's half vampire or a full one. But thinking about the herb alone is kinda stupid.

(and hey, i sure love to speculate XD)

Edited by d4rk, 25 April 2012 - 11:00 AM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
I had some of the original strip in mind about the female vampire that went crazy, that's not in the currently running webtoon. There's also no mention of parentage in the new one either. Lark was never with his parents, the people he was with in the human world said "time to send him back to the orphanage". No there was no mention of Lark having any special healing or any other abilities unless you take into account everyone at the academy thinking he was bad the way he passed the entrance exam. It's really a mystery still, but we do know that not all the vampires and other races left the human world. Angela thinks he's fully human but she also mentions that it is impossible for a human to have red eyes and that someone (the name she says I don't recognize) would kill any human that had them. Plus, it's kind of a spoiler but lark must be more than just a normal human because the first generation has known about him well before he went to school and didn't do anything about it.

Oh, also, the woman in Larks dreams is first seen in a portrait in the tunnel between worlds. They originally say the vampire world was created by one person so maybe it was her.

Tn7HA0h.png

Miyama

Miyama

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Locationlukedonia
I was also thinking that Lark is a half or has some vampire/monster blood in him but the fact that everyone who knows he is human doesn't consider it at all confuses me. I mean Angela and Bathory who know he is human they recognised him as a human immediately and they didn't have any doubts at all. I have come to think that in the end he is just a human who happened to have red eyes for some reason (that reason could have sth to do with the vampire world or it could just be some rare feature that Angela, having lived for so many years, has seen before). I'll just have to be patient and see...

85vt.png

d4rk

d4rk

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
So, to put it bluntly, you think it's just a simple genetic mutation. But i still cant shake off the feeling that he's part/full vampire. Like you said, we'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: I still can't shake it off and leave it to fate (AKA: author) to decide.

Edited by d4rk, 30 April 2012 - 03:32 AM.

c0d3cyph3r

c0d3cyph3r

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationInternet
I have to agree with d4rk and svines85. His eyes and the importance of his recurring dreams seem to hint something else.
And I thought the creator of the world was the man running the council?
Also Bathory isn't a first gen. but she could smell him.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I have to agree with d4rk and svines85. His eyes and the importance of his recurring dreams seem to hint something else.
And I thought the creator of the world was the man running the council?
Also Bathory isn't a first gen. but she could smell him.

Yeah, what I said about the dream woman maybe being the creator is pure speculation on my part, as far as I remember that "the world was created by one person" line is something that was put out there and not mentioned again, like so many other things in this story. There's really a lot that's been implied or shown to us only partially so far. That's really part of what makes this so good, lot's of mystery. As far as what I said about Lark and the first generation knowing about him and letting him be, this is from a handful of chapters ahead, it's really a spoiler so don't read it and get mad
Spoiler

Tn7HA0h.png

techygal9

techygal9

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
Lark is probably the descendant of some of the vampires who never left the human world. The connection he has to the woman under the tree (who may be the creator or just some spirit) shows that he is special, but I don't know if that might have manifested itself in the human world?

Inumori

Inumori

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Location....good question.....
To be honest, I'm hesitant to accept the "humans can't breed with vampires" bit. They're fundamentally too different? So are ghosts, zombies, werewolves, and succubi I'd imagine and they seem to hybridize just fine. That sounds more like an ancient taboo that's just become accepted as fact with time and violent enforcement.

The guy that would murder humans with red eyes must have some reason to do so. Be it fear or hate, I doubt anyone would actively pursue the demise of any human with those eyes unless they had a deeper meaning.

On another note, since hair color seems to do an excellent job of linking people as relatives in this series, I feel there's some link between Bathory and Lark's dream-goddess. Bathory is shaping up to be a major player in both the plot and back-story so I wouldn't be surprised if she knows more than anyone could see coming. There's a heaviness to her words, each laden with deeper meaning. Keep that in mind while reading.

The Dog's Woods

Spoiler

An Adventure by Mischief

Sebzzz

Sebzzz

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationQuebec,Canada
The lady in Lark's dream just might be the creator of the world, or someone very important in its society. I just looked back at the first chapters, and in the "corridor" between the two worlds (human and vampire) there is a portrait of the same lady (she even has the same clothes xD). We still don't know if she is Lark's mom or not. However, she does know him, that much is a fact. So my guess is that she is an friend of his (late?) mom. It is also said in the first chapter that Lark's "human parents" were only adoptive parents, as they said they should bring him BACK to the orphanage (which is the reason why he leaves with Setz). This also means he originally was from the orphanage, which more or less means his parents left him there, for one reason or another.

So, to sum it all. Lark is indeed special. There is a high possibility he is not human at all (maybe he has his powers sealed), because there is no way someone important in the vampire world (the lady in his dreams) would know him if he was simply human (plus the red eyes thing). That lady is related to Lark's parents, but might not herself be his mom.

If you want proof of what I'm saying, go back to the first 3 chapters. I hope that explanation helped.

Edited by Sebzzz, 06 May 2012 - 05:30 PM.

noctis

noctis

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 27 posts

Lark is probably the descendant of some of the vampires who never left the human world. The connection he has to the woman under the tree (who may be the creator or just some spirit) shows that he is special, but I don't know if that might have manifested itself in the human world?

This is what I'm thinking. That would explain why the woman in the tree is also saying that he doesn't belong in the world, because he is a descendant of a vampire who was "excluded" from the world. It's pretty likely IMO that he's half-vampire, but again like someone said, it's weird how everyone automatically thinks he's human.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

To be honest, I'm hesitant to accept the "humans can't breed with vampires" bit. They're fundamentally too different? So are ghosts, zombies, werewolves, and succubi I'd imagine and they seem to hybridize just fine. That sounds more like an ancient taboo that's just become accepted as fact with time and violent enforcement.

The guy that would murder humans with red eyes must have some reason to do so. Be it fear or hate, I doubt anyone would actively pursue the demise of any human with those eyes unless they had a deeper meaning.

On another note, since hair color seems to do an excellent job of linking people as relatives in this series, I feel there's some link between Bathory and Lark's dream-goddess. Bathory is shaping up to be a major player in both the plot and back-story so I wouldn't be surprised if she knows more than anyone could see coming. There's a heaviness to her words, each laden with deeper meaning. Keep that in mind while reading.

Really good point about the human /vampire taboo, it's a real possibility, after all if something is said long enough it's as good as fact, right? I've been thinking of some link between the dream woman and Karne, when Lark saw her waiting for him under the tree to talk about Neal it struck a chord with him and me too. Bathory is DEFINATELY a major player, we know a lot already about her even if we don't yet know for sure what it all means.

Tn7HA0h.png

ChaosSanc

ChaosSanc

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationOn the Horizon
Ok we all know it is 99% that lark is a human and the 1% is that he is something else at first i was convinced he was human but as time goes on more and more speculation in the story created the 1% chance that he might be something else due to his eyes his memory when he was with Carne so i really don't know i can only hope that he is a vampire in some way or atleast just not all human
For Light there must be Dark so what does Dark do to have Light?

Posted Image

d4rk

d4rk

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
Actually, im starting to think that Human World vampires have the same scent as Humans. Like techygal9 said, there might be human world vampires out there in the hidden. It could perfectly explain his dreams and his resistance to the sun, maybe the human world vampires (the ones who decided to stay) developed resistance to the sun.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Actually, im starting to think that Human World vampires have the same scent as Humans. Like techygal9 said, there might be human world vampires out there in the hidden. It could perfectly explain his dreams and his resistance to the sun, maybe the human world vampires (the ones who decided to stay) developed resistance to the sun.

Seems reasonable, I wonder about the whole "drinking blood" thing though. Angela said "this place is a paradise....here we don't need to drink blood" . I guess that makes me think vamps in the real world do need to drink blood, and if Lark was a vamp in the real world..........I don't know, it's fun to speculate though.

Tn7HA0h.png

d4rk

d4rk

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts

Seems reasonable, I wonder about the whole "drinking blood" thing though. Angela said "this place is a paradise....here we don't need to drink blood" . I guess that makes me think vamps in the real world do need to drink blood, and if Lark was a vamp in the real world..........I don't know, it's fun to speculate though.

Even so, if the Vampires world Vampire could stay without blood, then doesn't that mean that, well, Real world Vampire can also stay without blood? Remember that Vampires do suck on blood by nature, so they should have the same resistance to the same desire. If you look at it, Vampires from the Vampire World never tasted human blood, never came across a human (they know is one at least), so that kinda means that they don't have Vampire instincts. The Real World vampires, well.... i dunno. Maybe the found a way to quench their taste from blood through animals out there in the woods, or Maybe they don't even suck blood anymore.

I agree, it's very fun to speculate.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
Yup, lots of fun. the story's picking up steam too, it's gong to be real exciting i think in the coming chapters ;D

Tn7HA0h.png