Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

thoughts on the overall story (warning possible spoilers)?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

clicheliberaldouche

clicheliberaldouche

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts
Overall good series, just wish everybody wasnt so much of a goodie two-shoes and freaking killed someone! The quality was top notch, but the story seemed to shift towards more of a shounen like feel.
[spoiler]
was hoping for more of a tragedy since the plot seemed to be heading that way. However, this ended up going the naruto path with evil dudes sowing their own demise, good guys that are powerful but dont do nada, and lame ass love conquers all shit. I mean, she has killed thousands of people and monsters, and has no regrets whatsoever! I mean, she must not have a conscience if she killed that many people and is now joking around like that never happened!! this literally makes no sense (well it is a manga, but still)! everybody forgives her even though she brought terror down upon the whole world apparently! Superior was good, but superior cross made very little sense. This story just doesn't come together. At least one of them should have died. i feel this was toned down to bring in more naruto like fans ( you must know I hate naruto--not the begining, but where its going). sincerely, i would recommend the first, but not the second. this was just a bad continuation of a very interesting plot.

Edited by Mr.Fattymcfatfat, 10 April 2012 - 03:18 PM.

Katzilla

Katzilla

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,097 posts
I feel the same. I absolutely loved this until the fight with Kagami. The whole miracle of love thing is just so cliche'd, and reduced the quality of the story quite a bit.

sig-1.png

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark
I feel the complete opposite, for me it has lots of originality. The way the hero doesn't want to kill someone is very unique it's very different from shounen. Specially stuff such as Naruto.

The author took upon himself a great challenge right from the start, and he did an awesome job with. This was were the story was heading from the start, and is/should have been obvious to most... It's truly a wonder if you wanted the characters to suddenly kill someone, actually that would be much more common to shounen than this... I should remind you that seinen only have main characters kill in masses, if they go for the dark themed story.

Right from the start this was a bright themed funny and more mature story...

Perhaps you what you guys really should do if you dislike it, is either read stuff such as Berserk Claymore (that story about the hencmen where there was that mother of a boy who was a crazy killing machine,) and all the other great seinen and psychological works. Then in a few years try to come back and reread this. I can't say for sure, neither would I claim that you would really view it differently (your loss if I may say so). But I think at least some of You (who does not like it) will come to see how great of a work it truly is.

Now I have blabbered a lot, but what I have said is what I really believe. The story might not be the best work to read for entertainment and enjoyment, but the quality of the story is surely great. The ending could be considered rushed, this would be the stories weakness, even though it also could be considered as just the right ending for this sort of story.

Wondering about whether or not this made sense... Does not make much sense the 2 stories (sequels) fit very well together, although the focus on copy was perhaps to dim... well of course the plan of showing the greater Demon lord would not have worked well if she was focused on more than minimally required.

Wanting them to kill anyone, would simply plain ruin the entire setting from both Superior and the Cross sequel. It would also present a boring and useless philosophy and story moral.

Yes, Philosophy was what this story was about if you didn't notice. It puts the thoughtful viewer at a challenge, of whether the ideal is right or not and live up to the challenge to present different view on it, and put great strain on the mind if one thinks (while reading) about how monsters would kill humans when they leave them like that... But what it also points to, is how much of difference one single person actually makes. What would really have happened if the demon lord wasn't there, would it change anything? It answers this by saying that without any powerful leaders (making copy and Kagami leave as well as the original demon lord) but it does not say this solves anything, the work actually ends up even giving the new king (former prince) the power over some monsters, but still states that nothing has changed from before.

Other than just doing this, it presents the different cases of child neglect and whatnot, with a fitting theory (for the setting) that in reality parents love their children, no matter how cruel/misguided they may be.

It also presents a opinion what we currently have of problems in our society. Is revenge worth anything? would a punishment help anyone? it does this by showing many times people with unforgivable sins, always lead to it with a reason, but still none the less unforgiving... I'll stop on this one and end this soon.

As well as presenting quite a lot wisdom in form of how hard it is for people to change, people only changing under complete connection and under the complete control of another... (the Demon Queen shows this perfectly by changing and all others do by remaining static)

Well this is my give on the story, for me it doesn't matter that the focus wasn't entertainment for thoughtlessness, but an entertaining and fun challenge for the mind... But if you read manga and books (magazines) and whatnot, for pure release of stress and mind... then this might not live up fully to what you would have wanted ^^

... and again at the end of a story comes a conclusion... It pretty much summed up what the author believed in, not just some flashy cliche ending. (in other words it fit to well with the damn story to be anything else than fitting)
Posted Image
Spoiler

Katzilla

Katzilla

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

I feel the complete opposite, for me it has lots of originality. The way the hero doesn't want to kill someone is very unique it's very different from shounen. Specially stuff such as Naruto.

Actuallly, having the main character be a goodie-two-shoe pacifist who doesn't want to kill anyone is the most cliche'd type of hero. Even outside of the manga media this trope has been done to death. You'll have to read outside of the big 3 shounen to find these many instances, a quick example would be Vash from Trigun.

The author took upon himself a great challenge right from the start, and he did an awesome job with. This was were the story was heading from the start, and is/should have been obvious to most... It's truly a wonder if you wanted the characters to suddenly kill someone, actually that would be much more common to shounen than this... I should remind you that seinen only have main characters kill in masses, if they go for the dark themed story.

But that's the thing, it wasn't sudden by any means. The story had two parts, Superior and Superior Cross, to build up the main characters personality and make them solve their inner conflicts. In their journey, they've seen the destruction Shelia did as the demon lord and all the terrible things Kagami has done. Yet in the end, nothing felt like it changed when they discovered Shelia's identity and found Kagami. They didn't criticize Shelia, let alone hate her, and they just accepted both of them after all they've done as if to imply it had no repercussions. And while this is typical of the average shounen, that's what disappointed me. This is not your typical shounen, at least not at the beginning. Kagami didn't neccssarly need to die, but at the very least he shoud've been punished and not trusted immidiatly.
I understand that the topic of the day was "forgiveness", but it's not realistic to show absolute forgiveness without regard to repercussions. Hero saved Kagami simply because he was a goodie-two-shoe, and did not confront him on his actual actions and simply threw them behind, for him to start anew. I wanted the hero to be more 3-dimensional then that. After this long journey, I wanted him to have changed like Shelia, to have grown more realistic.

Also, not killing anyone because of the power of love/friendship is exactly what a typical shounen would do. It's not so much the act of not killing as it is the reason not to that bothers me. It had a unique take on the hero vs. demon lord old story from the beginning, and while relationship was hinted from the beginning, the fact that it was not meant to be was also hinted. But in the end, love conquers all. One of the oldest cliches in the book. It'd have been more consistent with the manga's quality to have gone for a more unique, somewhat bittersweet ending where they agree that a hero and a villain can't be together. Other great shounen have done this as well. Again, death is not the point nor it is neccessary, it is the reasoning behind it.

Well this is my give on the story, for me it doesn't matter that the focus wasn't entertainment for thoughtlessness, but an entertaining and fun challenge for the mind... But if you read manga and books (magazines) and whatnot, for pure release of stress and mind... then this might not live up fully to what you would have wanted ^^

And that is exactly why the ending bothers me. From the get-go this manga was not a simple mindless comedy/drama, it presented an actual philosophy that a lot of typical heros have, the conflict it causes with them when fighting bad guys, and planned to take this conflict to its conclusion at the end of the series. If this was thoughtless entertainment or some rom-com or slice-of-life, I would have been fine with that ending. But after all that build up, a simple ending of love conquering all betrayed my exceptions. I expected more of this.

In conclusion, the twist on the old hero stories was very interesting, the comedy was funny when it hit the spot, the drama wasn't too overdone, and the characters for the most part were memorable. It's only the climax that I found disappointing.
And by the way, I have read both of Gantz and Claymore. Claymore is a shounen, by the way. Susprised? Well yes, that's what we call a unique shounen. :P

But that aside, what character(s) did you guys enjoy watching develop the most?
For me, it was Kagami. At the beginning he seemed like just your typical demon lord's right-hand, an emotionless killer who will do all of the demon lord's bidding. But as the series progressed, he started questioning her, and betrayed his own master. Then we learned that he wasn't a simple right-hand, but a sort of parent to her. That fleshed him out more, and made him more 3-dimensional. As the series progress, even with the copy demon lord, he started slowly questioning his own actions, and at the climax he even showed emotions and cried. That was a very powerful moment.

Edited by Katzilla, 13 April 2012 - 12:24 AM.

sig-1.png

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Actuallly, having the main character be a goodie-two-shoe pacifist who doesn't want to kill anyone is the most cliche'd type of hero. Even outside of the manga media this trope has been done to death. You'll have to read outside of the big 3 shounen to find these many instances, a quick example would be Vash from Trigun.

Well you'll have to reread my statement, What I said was that the heroes way of being a goody two shoes is unique. Vash is much different. True they both seem to run from violence, but the Heroes was is still much more direct, and more respectable. A goodie two shoes in the world were monsters and humans are conflicting and killing each other is also quite unusual.
I mean you don't truly get that same feeling.

But that's the thing, it wasn't sudden by any means. The story had two parts, Superior and Superior Cross, to build up the main characters personality and make them solve their inner conflicts. In their journey, they've seen the destruction Shelia did as the demon lord and all the terrible things Kagami has done. Yet in the end, nothing felt like it changed when they discovered Shelia's identity and found Kagami. They didn't criticize Shelia, let alone hate her, and they just accepted both of them after all they've done as if to imply it had no repercussions. And while this is typical of the average shounen, that's what disappointed me. This is not your typical shounen, at least not at the beginning. Kagami didn't neccssarly need to die, but at the very least he shoud've been punished and not trusted immidiatly.
I understand that the topic of the day was "forgiveness", but it's not realistic to show absolute forgiveness without regard to repercussions. Hero saved Kagami simply because he was a goodie-two-shoe, and did not confront him on his actual actions and simply threw them behind, for him to start anew. I wanted the hero to be more 3-dimensional then that. After this long journey, I wanted him to have changed like Shelia, to have grown more realistic.

You are being the one who wants an natural element incorporated. There is a reason why typical shounen (read on) and that is simply, it is more or less actually how it works... If a Person become part of a society and live with it for a long time, gets accepted by it. Then reveals a major fault they have made in their past. Of course the immediate reaction is a shocked one, but shortly after they are forgiven, the only societies that does not forgive this cause of action, is the ones with a strong moral sense of justice (I see all Justice as fake and imaginary but that's off topic). You can hardly say the hero and his friends are those who only accept certain types doing certain things, so it is highly realistic that Shelia was accepted in this instance. Now about Kagami, he was accepted simply because Shelia had familiy relations and loved him, so the moment he changed it should be obvious that he would be accepted. This only becomes so much more obvious when we add the fact that the hero and his team, composes of goodie two shoes who refuse to kill anything but the Demon Lord (one true evil).

Now for shounen, this is not even a shounen though it's seinen. But the fact that Naruto tends to forgive people is of a bit different reason. He simply refutes any moral but their own, evil is only evil and good is only good. In this story the only ''good'' ones are the hero and his team, as well as a few select side characters met on the way, and even they are always shown somewhat wrong. In Naruto it instead ends up everyone good is only good as well.. think about it when did a good character ever commit a true evil or selfish act. Hero did this, Shelia did this, pretty much everyone did this... otherwise they swallowed in self pity and followed the bright ones.

Any moral is not subjugated as pure evil, the reader is meant to even think from the evil perspective and see what right there and whats wrong, if you can't do that this story is not meant for you (not speaking to you here Kat ^^). I'm gonna move on

Also, not killing anyone because of the power of love/friendship is exactly what a typical shounen would do. It's not so much the act of not killing as it is the reason not to that bothers me. It had a unique take on the hero vs. demon lord old story from the beginning, and while relationship was hinted from the beginning, the fact that it was not meant to be was also hinted. But in the end, love conquers all. One of the oldest cliches in the book. It'd have been more consistent with the manga's quality to have gone for a more unique, somewhat bittersweet ending where they agree that a hero and a villain can't be together. Other great shounen have done this as well. Again, death is not the point nor it is neccessary, it is the reasoning behind it.

on the contrary I would say this story really differs, because it does not really stop the evil. it only stops one moment, and then lets the monsters and humans go at each other. It also represents love as a lost ideology, where typical shounen often have innocent people actually be innocent (the few innocent people in Superior is exceptions, the towns that accepts anything related to monsters are even more as we only saw 2, were one didn't at first)

It's not always about making new ways to tell a story, sometimes using old techniques in a new way is way more impressive.

I just say your completely wrong on this one thing here, it wasn't hinted that it would end up with the hero and Demon lord apart, the opposite was in fact hinted, I knew right from the start it would end up like this to be honest, anything else would be the story denying it's own philosophical rail.

I'll just say this one time again to be clear, had the story ended up with a bittersweet ending, I would have given superior 1 start and made a hateful review of it... Simply because the story wouldn't fit, and that I would be extremely pissed making my first mistake in predicting the end on this type of story xD

And that is exactly why the ending bothers me. From the get-go this manga was not a simple mindless comedy/drama, it presented an actual philosophy that a lot of typical heros have, the conflict it causes with them when fighting bad guys, and planned to take this conflict to its conclusion at the end of the series. If this was thoughtless entertainment or some rom-com or slice-of-life, I would have been fine with that ending. But after all that build up, a simple ending of love conquering all betrayed my exceptions. I expected more of this.

In conclusion, the twist on the old hero stories was very interesting, the comedy was funny when it hit the spot, the drama wasn't too overdone, and the characters for the most part were memorable. It's only the climax that I found disappointing.
And by the way, I have read both of Gantz and Claymore. Claymore is a shounen, by the way. Susprised? Well yes, that's what we call a unique shounen. :P

I'm not surprised, it's just that Claymore is a borderline shounen-seinen, so that is why it can still be used as an example. the fact it tipped a bit more on the other side of the scale does not really matter that much.

and on the rest of it, I hope I'm not to arrogant when I say that I think I have answered it already. (my opinion on it)

But that aside, what character(s) did you guys enjoy watching develop the most?
For me, it was Kagami. At the beginning he seemed like just your typical demon lord's right-hand, an emotionless killer who will do all of the demon lord's bidding. But as the series progressed, he started questioning her, and betrayed his own master. Then we learned that he wasn't a simple right-hand, but a sort of parent to her. That fleshed him out more, and made him more 3-dimensional. As the series progress, even with the copy demon lord, he started slowly questioning his own actions, and at the climax he even showed emotions and cried. That was a very powerful moment.

it's interesting you say Kagami because this is already a give on why he was forgiven so easily, But yes all thing aside I think Kagami had the most well done development, were Shelia had the most development overall, Hero had the least.
Among the side characters there was a lot as well... but I personally would save that from when I get back from London (leaving in a while)... I'm not going to be able to give an imminent response on anything... I'll be back the 20. but I'm not sure I'll get the time to come on.

yep, and another thing, this is one of the few times I have had such a great discussion on a Manga ^^. Thank you for that
Posted Image
Spoiler

geenius3ab

geenius3ab

Potato

• Members
  • 187 posts

Personally I hated the ending. And I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one.

The way how the ''Ooh here's a plot-twist where a new main enemy pops out'' was just mind-numbingly bad. The 1-2 extra volumes that it took, to finish this series could've used to do a ''spice and wolf'' kind of ending, where the main characters go around fixing and balancing the world, while also repairing the destroyed city. Sure it wouldn't have been completely original, but it is better than being completely clichèd. There could be interesting views of the world that they could've used.. But no..

The final enemy had NO redeemable quality, he was just ''Imma kill everyone'', and the way how he died was also stupid..

It was WAY needless cliched drama, that was unfitting of the initial concept.

The manga's quality was pretty good overall, but the ending just seemed like the author couldn't think up anything better and just used a plot-twist from the ''book of cliches''.. Left me with a sour taste tbh.

The hero who doesn't kill anyone is cliche (The usual main characters fight, but they always stop before finishing anyone off and leave.), but in conjunction with what the society sees him as, does fix that cliche. The society does wish for him to kill his enemies, and the fight scenes with the heroes usually aren't too focused upon, that's also nice, cause too much of ''But I don't want to kill anyone'' will get on anyones nerves.

But lets be honest, the main focus of this story WAS the demon queen. Her powers, attitude, and conflicting emotions and situation was the focus (And the fantasy world was also in focus*). The characters were mediocre, as not everyone was well developed (Although they did have their backstories, their character traits were all mostly bland.) The moment that the hero went berserk was a moment where I got annoyed by the fact that the hero didn't get over the death over many years, and even though he wanted to save everyone he was just an bland hypocrite, who couldn't get his shit together (I think it is just me, but the way he threw away all his beliefs in a second just because something happened 12 years ago, was just pathetic, considering that it was supposed to be his ''dark development'', while we all knew what happened to him far beforehand.).

Edited by geenius3ab, 23 October 2013 - 11:50 PM.