Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

On the Subject of Boredom

Bore Boredom Bored

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA
Okay, I often find myself bored and thus I end up searching the internet to find other people like myself and possibly cures and it feels like the articles about boredom that I find are generally from people that aren't bored talking condescendingly to people that are.

Offering such solutions as: simply stop caring about your own interests and start meditating or embrace religion.

I actually heard something which confused me quite a bit: "smart people don't get bored." I have no idea what to make of this statement, because I've been much more familiar with the idea that stupid people don't think about their situation and thus are content, whereas intelligent people are constantly aware of their situation and any problems that come with it, thus inspiring boredom or depression.

Thoughts/Questions?

"This statement is not true."

perish

perish

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Locationcannot be located
yello!
first one to join the BOREDOM KINGDOM!

people say stupid stuffs like that, for example- "Being Mean is COOL"

pffft

Edited by ♔ Arturia ♔, 08 April 2012 - 10:48 PM.

Katzen

Katzen

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 937 posts
I read an article before that said intelligent people are more likely to be depressed and bored because the analyze things too much, and see the the tragedies of things as they are, no sugarcoating.

i am like you, though, i am bored a lot and i don't really know what to do with it. i haven't found anything that could sustain as my entertainment :P maybe talking to people, but even that's not sustainable (people come and go, and i'm not really good with change)

"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." - Ernest Hemingway.

яαιηвσω яσ¢кѕ ヾ(◍’౪`◍)ノ゙| SlhbZiq.gif

pizhhh

pizhhh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,029 posts
  • Locationin jail
Smart people don't get bored because they know how to use their time wisely. They know what to do to kill their boredom in different situations. They know that an activity you once considered fun may not be as fun in a different time. This also applies to their thought processes. They know that their way of thinking greatly influences whether you get bored or not. To a smart person, any activity can be exciting, depending on how you see them.

That said, I'm not really smart. I only have a set of activities that I consider to be "fun" (mainly, social activities like drinking or hanging out with friends.), and when I can't do those, I'm always bored.

Fucking redundant sentences. >.<

Edited by Pizhhh, 09 April 2012 - 12:21 AM.

Angelo.

Angelo.

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,488 posts
  • Locationsleeping on a cloud
my boredom comes from bad mood....

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts

Smart people don't get bored because they know how to use their time wisely.

This is absolute BS. "Smart people know how to use time wisely." <- totally reasonable, that makes sense. "Smart people don't get bored." <- Whatever reason you tack on this is about as far from the truth as anything ever said.

They know what to do to kill their boredom in different situations. They know that an activity you once considered fun may not be as fun in a different time. This also applies to their thought processes. They know that their way of thinking greatly influences whether you get bored or not. To a smart person, any activity can be exciting, depending on how you see them.

Well, it doesn't really work that way- or at least it's not that simple. From the statement I applied before it makes sense that intelligent people would have more trouble finding contentedness because they'd recognize the flaws in things and finish things faster. I'm not saying intelligent people cannot find contentedness or that less intelligent people are always content. Really, to say either statement is absolutely true is probably crap in any case, I'd imagine everyone gets bored at least occasionally.

That said, I'm not really smart. I only have a set of activities that I consider to be "fun" (mainly, social activities like drinking or hanging out with friends.), and when I can't do those, I'm always bored.

Fucking redundant sentences. >.<

Yeah, I have a few things that I find to be entertaining, and it seems like the things that interfere with those activities are more easily found than things that make me content. I also find that when I devote a lot of time to something specific that I like because I want to stay content that I burn myself out of it more quickly... it sucks : /

my boredom comes from bad mood....

My bad moods come from boredom.

Edited by bushwhacker2k, 09 April 2012 - 01:05 AM.

Xbox User

Xbox User

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationXbox Dashboard
"He who seeks rest finds boredom, but he who seeks work finds rest."

I relieve boredom just by twiddling my thumbs for hours on end or even finding something around the house that needs to be taken care of. I soon forget I was bored because I am now occupied by the constant twiddling of my thumbs or the manual labor I have started to work on. I believe, and this is my personal opinion, that people remain bored because they choose to be bored. As odd as it may seem, I see it as truth because you can entertain yourself will the simplest task or take your mind off the boredom by working a little. Sure working sucks, but at least you aren't bored. I also don't think being "smart" or "stupid" makes a difference.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Please enjoy the show!

pizhhh

pizhhh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,029 posts
  • Locationin jail

This is absolute BS. "Smart people know how to use time wisely." <- totally reasonable, that makes sense. "Smart people don't get bored." <- Whatever reason you tack on this is about as far from the truth as anything ever said.

I agree. Nobody doesn't ever get bored. What I meant to say was smart people get bored less often. I guess I was a bit influenced by that quote you gave in the first post. Sorry bout that.

Well, it doesn't really work that way- or at least it's not that simple. From the statement I applied before it makes sense that intelligent people would have more trouble finding contentedness because they'd recognize the flaws in things and finish things faster. I'm not saying intelligent people cannot find contentedness or that less intelligent people are always content. Really, to say either statement is absolutely true is probably crap in any case, I'd imagine everyone gets bored at least occasionally.

I don't wanna turn this into a discussion on what intelligence really is, cause like that other thread, it'd be pointless and completely off topic, but just for my points' sake, I'm gonna say that (in my own definition, at least) being intelligent and being smart are different. I consider myself intelligent, however shameless that may be. I'm pretty contemplative and it's easy for me to spot flaws in things. But I'm definitely not smart. An intelligent person over-analyzes and sees flaws in the little details, a smart person just views it from another angle.

Yeah, I have a few things that I find to be entertaining, and it seems like the things that interfere with those activities are more easily found than things that make me content. I also find that when I devote a lot of time to something specific that I like because I want to stay content that I burn myself out of it more quickly... it sucks : /

Amen. It sucks that one of the biggest interference in doing fun activities is the lack of money.

I relieve boredom just by twiddling my thumbs for hours on end or even finding something around the house that needs to be taken care of. I soon forget I was bored because I am now occupied by the constant twiddling of my thumbs or the manual labor I have started to work on. I believe, and this is my personal opinion, that people remain bored because they choose to be bored. As odd as it may seem, I see it as truth because you can entertain yourself will the simplest task or take your mind off the boredom by working a little. Sure working sucks, but at least you aren't bored. I also don't think being "smart" or "stupid" makes a difference.

^This. Exactly how I imagine a smart person would deal with boredom.

Edited by Pizhhh, 09 April 2012 - 02:19 AM.

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
When bored, sleep :P

jokes aside, everyone gets bored at some point in their lives. To me, being bored is when you can't concentrate and enjoy a certain activity anymore. Since none of us have endless attention spans, it has to happen xD

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts

people remain bored because they choose to be bored.

Gonna have to shoot that down for you. This is kind of what I'm referring to when I initially said "people who aren't bored writing articles talking condescendingly to bored people." If I chose to be bored I wouldn't be complaining about it.

It's on the same level as saying "everyone in the world who experiences boredom is lazy and needs to get their act together and start doing some work."

I'm not offended, but I want to let you know that what you're saying isn't totally true.

---

Conversely I feel like distracting myself by menial tasks that I don't really care about is just running from the problem.

To simplify it: I feel like my time is being wasted because I'm not enjoying myself, so then the solution is to waste time? Makes no sense.

Edited by bushwhacker2k, 09 April 2012 - 03:38 AM.

Katzen

Katzen

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 937 posts

Gonna have to shoot that down for you. This is kind of what I'm referring to when I initially said "people who aren't bored writing articles talking condescendingly to bored people." If I chose to be bored I wouldn't be complaining about it.

It's on the same level as saying "everyone in the world who experiences boredom is lazy and needs to get their act together and start doing some work."

I'm not offended, but I want to let you know that what you're saying isn't totally true.

---

Conversely I feel like distracting myself by menial tasks that I don't really care about is just running from the problem.

To simplify it: I feel like my time is being wasted because I'm not enjoying myself, so then the solution is to waste time? Makes no sense.

couldn't have said it better. it's not that i choose to be bored, it's just that there's nothing here than can actually satisfy my interests enough to curb my boredom. i've been told i should just try doing the "long" way of doing things that i like so i don't finish it quickly and find myself with nothing to do but that just seems illogical, right?

яαιηвσω яσ¢кѕ ヾ(◍’౪`◍)ノ゙| SlhbZiq.gif

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
Doing it the long way is even more boring -.-

Angelo.

Angelo.

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,488 posts
  • Locationsleeping on a cloud
i
just
fucked
my
kew
board
up
my
bro
gonna
be
pissed.itwontspace!
space
button
don't
work.

Icee

Icee

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 666 posts
I get bored too easily, but that's because nothing usually happens... (because of two reasons, including my laziness :D anyhoo) But boredom is boring, to be quite frank, thoughtalking about boredom is amusing somehow, since you then get something to do... <= sorry for the boring 'rant' btw...

Am I the only one that feels like I'm not gonna fit well o'er here if I don't write a huge paragraph..? xD

i
just
fucked
my
kew
board
up
my
bro
gonna
be
pissed.itwontspace!
space
button
don't
work.

Haha sorry, xD But if you want a temporary solution, copy a space and paste it xD
Would want to help you but too inexperienced in the 'fixing stuff' domain :P

Edited by Icealeena, 09 April 2012 - 04:21 AM.

IM or it's for naught

Xbox User

Xbox User

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationXbox Dashboard

---

Spoiler

Edited by Xbox User, 09 April 2012 - 05:14 AM.

Please enjoy the show!

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts

Spoiler

Well it's not really a matter of opinion... you say you think bored people simply make the choice to be bored and bored people have refuted this. Case closed, this isn't universally true and thus it can't be relied upon.

Honestly it sounds like you just aren't bored in those situations, if you can entertain yourself as easily as you claim to be able to.

Real boredom isn't something you can easily cast off, it's more like a dark deep hole with really steep sides. It's not easy to deal with and that's why it's notable enough to talk about.

You may not be doing it on purpose but the last portion sounded somewhat trollish because you're basically throwing what I said in my face. <- Probably going to come off as insulting, but that's just because I lack the knowledge of how to convey such a message otherwise : /

Edited by bushwhacker2k, 09 April 2012 - 07:45 AM.

perish

perish

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Locationcannot be located

Well it's not really a matter of opinion... you say you think bored people simply make the choice to be bored and bored people have refuted this. Case closed, this isn't universally true and thus it can't be relied upon.

Honestly it sounds like you just aren't bored in those situations, if you can entertain yourself as easily as you claim to be able to.

Real boredom isn't something you can easily cast off, it's more like a dark deep hole with really steep sides. It's not easy to deal with and that's why it's notable enough to talk about.

You may not be doing it on purpose but the last portion sounded somewhat trollish because you're basically throwing what I said in my face. <- Probably going to come off as insulting, but that's just because I lack the knowledge of how to convey such a message otherwise : /

i agree on this....... i am bored bcuz i choose to be! i cud sth fun like go clubbing with friends but i don't like.....

angel of death

angel of death

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

i agree on this....... i am bored bcuz i choose to be! i cud sth fun like go clubbing with friends but i don't like.....

Who chooses to be bored? The only reason i'm bored is because i'm procrastinating from work, but i'll be told off if i do something fun. So... I'm kind of stuck

Xbox User

Xbox User

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationXbox Dashboard

Spoiler

Please enjoy the show!

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts

But it is a matter of opinion. You and I are not the same person. We have not experienced the same things, led the same lives, or have the same interests. Thus we are two very different people that have very different opinions on the same subject. Boredom is not some deep, philosophical existence that must be understood through countless hours of meditation. It's so very simple. You're just bored. To me anyway. And thats the thing. It's that way to ME. Not you. ME. My truth is not a universal truth and I never said it was. I kept going on about How I believe or In MY opinion because this is the way I see things. And I get it. You don't agree with me and neither do the majority (and I can't tell if ♔ Arturia ♔ is being sarcastic or not. Probably is.). Okay that's super. It really is. I don't care if I cannot convince you or the others to believe the way I do. You have your truth about this topic and I have mine. I believe that boredom is not a universal truth to everybody and is thus a controversial topic, and I know many people that agree with me (not on here of course). I don't need some professor with a Ph.D in Psychology and/or Philosophy giving me a lecture on why I become bored because then I would really become bored as I try to stay awake through the mundane and monotone speech and because I already know the answer. I am bored because I currently have nothing interesting TO ME to do. And I can relieve by doing the tasks you believe to be a waste of your time. You believe these tasks waste time in a mundane way and I believe these tasks pass time in an entertaining way. I was just giving you and everybody else that will read this a different perspective.

This has nothing to do with opinion though, unless your previous statement "bored people choose to be bored" wasn't precise enough.

And for those situations where it sounds like I am not bored because I am entertained too easily, I do get bored and I am entertained easily. These are not two conflicting factors that cannot coexist. I am just bored for a shorter period of time than most people, but that doesn't mean I was not bored. I'm the type of person who can lay on his bed and stare at the ceiling fascinated by the little specks that dot it. I'm entertained easily! Is that really hard to comprehend? An easily entertained person bored? Yes, I choose to be bored sometimes because I sometimes I choose to not to entertain myself. Then after a short while I realize what a terrible decision I have made and quickly go find something that entertains me.

My point is that if you can cast off boredom so easily than it's really not boredom, it's just awareness of inactivity. This has nothing to do with opinion.

I'll just leave it at that because I apparently have no idea what I am talking about and thus am ignorant of the actual situation. But harsh criticism is what I expect for thinking differently than the majority, yet I do it anyway and openly defend and announce it. I guess I am an ignorant fool, but hey isn't ignorance bliss? If that's true, then I'm most blissful bastard in the world. So now I'll bid you farewell as I try to perfect my napalm mixture.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall, I'm not declaring your beliefs and opinions to be defunct, I'm saying you're misrepresenting yourself or you're just mistaken.

Never once has this been a matter of opinion, if you're able to easily deal with boredom and you're entertained and have lots to do then I'm glad you aren't suffering from the same things the people this topic is intended for do.

TL;DR: If you are easily entertained then this topic isn't for you. I'm not kicking you out but you obviously have no ability to connect to my situation if this is the case (not kicking you out but it's annoying to have a conversation about something then someone with a polarly opposing viewpoint comes in and starts saying things that clearly belittle the problems this thread is meant to address...).

Edited by bushwhacker2k, 10 April 2012 - 03:24 AM.