Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

updated frequency

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!
Repost from my PM Box.

Is it possible to add manga to the frequency with which they come from?. weekly, monthly ... THX

I'm not good writing in English but I understand in reading it.

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark
I like that Idea, and for the most popular ones a weekday could be included? Would be cool.
Posted Image
Spoiler

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure
It's not like we scanlate the series folks , when the group is done , if we have permission we host it , there is nothing set in this world to work like that.(except taxes , but who cares about that)
Spoiler

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark

It's not like we scanlate the series folks , when the group is done , if we have permission we host it , there is nothing set in this world to work like that.(except taxes , but who cares about that)

Was more like thinking of raw releases though. Since it could be nice to know if the actual series is completed, released monthly or weekly in it's country of origin.
Posted Image
Spoiler

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure
Too much of a bother honestly , considering how even mangaupdates doesnt do that , i dont think its of any use , especially with how picky scanlators are. We have put the scanlation status field already , i think that is already enough , but who knows grumpy might think otherwise.
Spoiler

raenef

raenef

Potato

• Validating
  • 101 posts
sure if one is eager to read it or is stumpling why a seires which was brought to you weekly is now taking longer

but what they mean is it would be unnecessary work to programm it when maybe the scanlators need 1 or 2 weeks after the raw releases ect
Typesetter & Redrawer for CWL

kdom

kdom

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 376 posts

Too much of a bother honestly , considering how even mangaupdates doesnt do that , i dont think its of any use , especially with how picky scanlators are. We have put the scanlation status field already , i think that is already enough , but who knows grumpy might think otherwise.

They provide the magazine. Which I find a more interesting information, since like you said in the end it depends more of the scanlator release frequency.

soranokira

soranokira

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 687 posts
I personally think trying to insert such a function is a waste of time.
Posted Image
Favorite Manga: Record of Fallen Vampire, Hayate the Combat Butler, Kekkaishi
Main reason: Akabara Strauss and plot/story flow, Tennousu Athena arc/Katsura Hinagiku, Kidoin Nura and story flow

God Ginrai

God Ginrai

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 218 posts

We have put the scanlation status field already , i think that is already enough , but who knows grumpy might think otherwise.

Really? Where does it show up? Because I have yet to see it.

-God Ginrai

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure
In the comic description under status!
Spoiler

God Ginrai

God Ginrai

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 218 posts

That field has been there. And people don't even use it correctly. I thought you were talking about actually separating scanlation status from publication status so that people would use it correctly. (Since this has been discussed elsewhere in the Suggestions forum)

-God Ginrai

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure
Well we cant go around fixing everything ppl screw up , if its not reported , there is a limitation to how much can we fix , but that field should represent scanlation status , not publication in japan.
Spoiler

powha

powha

Vocaloid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationGensokyo
Might want to get that changed to "Scanlation Status" for easier understanding.

God Ginrai

God Ginrai

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 218 posts

Well we cant go around fixing everything ppl screw up , if its not reported , there is a limitation to how much can we fix , but that field should represent scanlation status , not publication in japan.

That's why we suggested that we either add a new field, or change the current field to reflect that. Because right now, "status" can mean any number of things.

-God Ginrai

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!
I think it might be simpler to take upto last 5 chapter samples and average them out for an expected NEXT release frequency...

God Ginrai

God Ginrai

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 218 posts

I think it might be simpler to take upto last 5 chapter samples and average them out for an expected NEXT release frequency...

That would be to estimate the scanlators' rate of release, I take it?

-God Ginrai

Edited by God Ginrai, 04 April 2012 - 07:35 AM.

cmertb

cmertb

Potato

• Contributor
  • 161 posts

The one that says either Completed or Ongoing? That's not very useful for scanlation status. A real scanlation status would be like "Technically not dropped, but you're not going to see any releases until we find a dedicated typesetter who won't disappear without a word after one week" or "We're still working on it, we just got too lazy to release lately, but if anyone tries to steal we'll get pissed!" :)

はりねずみは誇り高き鳥である。蹴らぬかぎり飛ばぬ。

My JPOP music subs (we consider requests too)

soranokira

soranokira

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 687 posts
that scanlation status that you're giving as an example is, to put it bluntly, stupid.
ongoing/completed is fine. to know whether it's dropped or dead etc. a mangaupdates 'default' is about 6 months (any series that have no chapters released after 6 months assumed to be a 'dead' series) (It's actually more of the active group status thing, but it works just as well. otherwise, a look at the typical rate of releases, the release date of the latest chapter, would be good enough, using own assumptions.)

remember, batoto is primarily an online manga aggregator/reading site that respects scanlator policies (though probably also one of the more 'conservative' ones in terms of content hosted due to ad restrictions), not an information site/database that displays manga information, scanlation status of specific comics etc.
Posted Image
Favorite Manga: Record of Fallen Vampire, Hayate the Combat Butler, Kekkaishi
Main reason: Akabara Strauss and plot/story flow, Tennousu Athena arc/Katsura Hinagiku, Kidoin Nura and story flow

kdom

kdom

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 376 posts
Ah, serious people...

The status of the serie is an important information when you start to read it. So as a reading site, batoto should not ignore the question. If mangaupdates is the reference, then it can be useful to provide a link to their corresponding page. Otherwise, it should be clear for the readers that the status is the scanlation status. And adding a dropped project label could be a plus (a project being not dropped until said otherwise...).

cmertb

cmertb

Potato

• Contributor
  • 161 posts

that scanlation status that you're giving as an example is, to put it bluntly, stupid.

Really? I always thought that stupid was like... not being able to tell when you see a joke or something. I'm sorry if it was too intricate for you.

ongoing/completed is fine.

"Fine" for what purpose? Apparently, it's neither useful nor accurate.

はりねずみは誇り高き鳥である。蹴らぬかぎり飛ばぬ。

My JPOP music subs (we consider requests too)