Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Latest Chapter Discussion

UDDUP latest chapter

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Attanus

Attanus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPortugal
Well... I was rereading how I made my post and I came to the conclusion I sounded too much like a fangirl. So I'm changing it.
First things first, this contains spoilers for any of you who still haven't read UDDUP to the latest chapter, currently 128.
If, by whatever reason, you want to post information that you obtained with the raws of later chapters, please warn people beforehand and use spoiler tags. If you don't know how to, here it is: [ spoiler] [ /spoiler]. You must remove the space between [ and the letter that follows, okay? Or it won't work. Of course making your own thread is also a good idea.
Let's move on to the main reason why I decided to create this. If the title wasn't obvious enough, this is a place where we can discuss what happens on the new chapters released.

For those of you who don't want to bother reading chapter 128 again here's a short summary.
The chapter begins with Haruka, Anna and Ashford making preparations to face Zelm. With the help of Haruka's ability, Ashford is able to dodge Zelm's attacks. The man notices this and appears to surrender himself to the girls.
I have a feeling that the fact Zelm just gave himself away is probably a trap from him to kidnap Haruka, but I hope it's really just a feeling since Mamoru's dead if they get their hands on the girl. Either by Gene's assassins hands or Sierra's, who'll probably barge into the school to kick some ass on one of the next few chapters.
After this, we see Jesus corner one of the assassins, the one with the sun glasses. I believe this assassin is going to face his defeat on the next chapter because that's what happens to everyone who dares mess with Jesus and well, he said "Jesus". We all know saying that is a death sentence in any manga the person in question appears. Either the kid's some kind of ally, or he's dead.

What did you think of this chapter? What are your hunches for the next one? You can discuss anything you like here, just don't get carried away and forget the real topic. Have fun!

Edited by Attanus, 06 April 2012 - 03:48 PM.

"You have your way, I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Carnige

Carnige

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTurkey
I really don't understand why people doesn't read such a good manga in my opinion it is on par with the so-called 3 big (maybe even better in some aspects)

Attanus

Attanus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPortugal
Thank you for answering my topic! I was afraid it would be completely ignored by everyone.
In answer to your question, yes I know this manga is great. I think the problem resides in how this manga is fairly recent compared to One Piece, Naruto or Bleach. It needs to get more fans in order to climb the steps into fame.
I believe the best way to do this would be an anime, but I don't see one being made any time soon.
Anyway, this is just my opinion.
PEOPLE! The great, the awesome, the fantastic NSN group has released the translations for chapter 130, where we get to see Mamoru acting a little without his glasses. I wish I had his senses, I really do.
Anyway, please comment and use this topic to discuss UDDUP. I'd be very happy.
"You have your way, I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

I really don't understand why people doesn't read such a good manga in my opinion it is on par with the so-called 3 big (maybe even better in some aspects)

The big 3 (I assume you're referring to Naruto, One Piece and Bleach) are very reputable, and shounen manga are generally quite easy to get into.

This is much less well known, though in some ways it seems to be of higher quality. It also functions like some crossover American comics in that it ties together multiple manga(Jesus, Yami no Aegis, ALCBANE) in ways that I just haven't seen in other manga.

Actually, it makes me wonder if there are websites devoted solely to seinen/josei manga; the high quality works that just don't get the attention that popular shounen (and some shoujo) works do. There are just too many amazing manga that practically get ignored, I'm not completely certain what to make of it.

It seems to operate more realistically than many manga (I'm not sure I've stumbled upon a specific term for the difference so I'm going to use the word 'realistic') and it makes the technology and skill seem feasible similarly to the Grappler Baki series.

This is probably one of my favorite manga ever.

Anyways, I really like the School arc :D Mamoru was always a badass but now other people of similar skill are being introduced (or borrowed, in the case of Jesus, Tate Karito and Daiba Tatsumi) and every encounter is really genuinely interesting.

Edited by bushwhacker2k, 02 September 2012 - 09:43 PM.

"This statement is not true."

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away
jesus.... this is a meeting between too many great characters.
makes me drool, even though i like fujiwara's drawing style better

now i wanna read alcbane too. where to find raws.....
and verdant lord, since i just realized it's the same author.
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationArizona (or somewhere in the forest riding a unicorn)
Chapter 139 was awesome. Three of my favorite guys in mangadom! I believe Mamoru said all that to Haruka to get her to calm down.

Seemed to me the art was even more awesome than usual like going from a 10 to an 11.

Lapan

Lapan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts

Chapter 139 was awesome. Three of my favorite guys in mangadom! I believe Mamoru said all that to Haruka to get her to calm down.

Seemed to me the art was even more awesome than usual like going from a 10 to an 11.

Sadly at the same time the editing/typesetting got a whole lot worse.

Edited by Lapan, 02 January 2013 - 09:47 AM.

sfcvaughn

sfcvaughn

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 13 posts

Sadly at the same time the editing/typesetting got a whole lot worse.

I'm the one doing the typesetting right now. Aside from straight to hell. As this is my first time doing anything like that I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate as to why I did such a bad job. I'd love to get better.

Lapan

Lapan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts
Sure.

First, text should always be center aligned in manga. It also should be around the center of the bubble. Try keeping it in a diamond shape.
http://puu.sh/1IOEB
You have a lot of bubbles that look like you aligned the text per hand.
http://puu.sh/1IOAn
Text is touching edges of bubbles.
http://puu.sh/1IOAT http://puu.sh/1IOCs
The font looks pixelated, try using around a bit with the font smooting options of photoshop (if you are using that) or use a better font

You can vary your fontsize a bit more if you think it won't fit into bubbles.

The leveling looks fine though, it's mostly your typesetting that could use improvement.

I'm an editor too, and also had to learn a lot to improve myself.

This is a very good tutorial: http://ero-otoko.blogspot.co.at/2010/08/ero-otokos-guide-to-translating-and.html?zx=e06c00548b041220

Edited by Lapan, 03 January 2013 - 06:23 AM.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
I'm not too picky about stuff like that personally but that's me.

It was interesting how Tate read the situation and understood that Mamoru was not using full force and not trying to kill him of Jesus and was just fighting them until they could save the girls and Tate saves Haruka and Mamoru saved Anna. Good because of Tate's background saving a kid from a bomb would be a good healing thing for him and he is trained in stuff like dismantling bombs anyway, so each of them used their own strengths.

These last chapters went very welll with how their personalities are separately I think the combination of them has been done very well, as in true to wach character, his abilities and his personality. In some ways this manga seems more in the western comic tradition, or rather a blend of western epics and Japanese ones. Well, I grew up reading early Marvel stuff - I haven't read it for years but one of my good friend's father was a major exec at Marvel in Tokyo and I read a ton of them many years ago DC too but more Marvel because of my friends - I haven't read them in many years but I read hundreds back when I was on that kick - and then I switched to just mangas, but I see this as a nice blend.

Lapan

Lapan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts

I'm not too picky about stuff like that personally but that's me.

It comes with the job, i notice stuff like that a lot more since i started to edit.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
Ah, I get that, I'm picky about art and notice things that other people might not.

sfcvaughn

sfcvaughn

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 13 posts

Sure.

First, text should always be center aligned in manga. It also should be around the center of the bubble. Try keeping it in a diamond shape.
http://puu.sh/1IOEB
Text is touching edges of bubbles.
http://puu.sh/1IOAT http://puu.sh/1IOCs
The font looks pixelated, try using around a bit with the font smooting options of photoshop (if you are using that) or use a better font

You can vary your fontsize a bit more if you think it won't fit into bubbles.

The leveling looks fine though, it's mostly your typesetting that could use improvement.

I'm an editor too, and also had to learn a lot to improve myself.

This is a very good tutorial: http://ero-otoko.blogspot.co.at/2010/08/ero-otokos-guide-to-translating-and.html?zx=e06c00548b041220

Right. Thank you. I understood the part about centering the text from the beginning and the reason I didn't on some panels was because I was afraid if I made the font any smaller it would be unreadable. I'll work on that. With 142 I finally found a font I like as well so I'm pretty set on that. I would try to do the SFX as well but unfortunately NSN doesn't translate them and I am unable to. Thank you for what you've said, and I would appreciate it if anyone else would also give me some constructive criticism.

Lapan

Lapan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts

Right. Thank you. I understood the part about centering the text from the beginning and the reason I didn't on some panels was because I was afraid if I made the font any smaller it would be unreadable. I'll work on that. With 142 I finally found a font I like as well so I'm pretty set on that. I would try to do the SFX as well but unfortunately NSN doesn't translate them and I am unable to. Thank you for what you've said, and I would appreciate it if anyone else would also give me some constructive criticism.

Sounds good, i'm looking forward to the next chapter then.

sfcvaughn

sfcvaughn

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 13 posts

Did you mean to say aligned per line? Because I did. I didn't know there was another way to do it.

Lapan

Lapan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts

Did you mean to say aligned per line? Because I did. I didn't know there was another way to do it.

Which program are you using? In Photoshop you can choose to align an entire textfield.
http://puu.sh/1J0tf

sfcvaughn

sfcvaughn

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 13 posts

Which program are you using? In Photoshop you can choose to align an entire textfield.
http://puu.sh/1J0tf

ms paint >_>

Lapan

Lapan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts

ms paint >_>

Get something better. MS Paint is about the worst thing you could use for it. It doesn't have layers, so you can't change what you already did easily. It only offers the bare minimum of everything. If you want free programms, use something like Gimp or paint.net. Photoshop is still about the best, but it isn't free.

sfcvaughn

sfcvaughn

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 13 posts

Get something better. MS Paint is about the worst thing you could use for it. It doesn't have layers, so you can't change what you already did easily. It only offers the bare minimum of everything. If you want free programms, use something like Gimp or paint.net. Photoshop is still about the best, but it isn't free.

I've had GIMP for ages but never bothered to actually acquaint myself with it.

Lapan

Lapan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts

I've had GIMP for ages but never bothered to actually acquaint myself with it.

You should, it's a decent program (and anything is better than mspaint)