Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

The uncharming Fairy Inn "fan service"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
This is a interesting comic. I really like that it broke the mold of harem comics and allowed definite love to blossom among one couple and even let it progress. I think the amount and degree fo women coming onto him, especially nearly right off the bat, is a bit too extreme. But I like how the main character is somewhat balanced, not a utter pervert or constantly rejecting all advances. The story background itself is interesting.

But this "charming fairy inn" is only one or two steps from being a brothel. The customers are allowed to sexually harass and manhandle the all female waitresses to a extreme degree, and the waitresses seem to be told (off camera to not make the owner seem too much like a pimp) to tolerate or even encourage it for better tips.

At least Seito defended her from such absurd advance. His anger over the customers touching her is appreciated too, but I can't help but wonder if that is more just a jealousy thing, the way its put. Especially as he keeps saying she should continue to work "for the mission".

And this is such a disruptive element to throw into the story too. The first time she went there, it was for date money, even though shes a wealthy noble (and had the pocket money to consider buying a extremely expensive sword, but settled for a more moderately expensive one), despite having wealthy friends, and despite the fact that Seito never asked for material stuff. Also, surely this isn't the only place in town to get a job. Granted that first one was more of a omake thing, but it kind of had to be considering the jump into making and preparing for the date was harsh. Also, this isn't a funny part of the comic.

Second time, 4 more chapters now on this horrid little quasi-brothel, for that we are thrown cruelly out of the story in a flashback fashion.(not that flashback/background stories are necessarily a bad thing, but this established nothing really, and it was done badly) And why would she go back to this terrible place? Surely this is not the only watering hole in the whole town she can go to for intelligence gathering, or even that being a waitress is the only way to gather such information.

The "charming fairy inn" chapters could be soft/quasi hentai and still be less disgusting and disruptive to the story then it currently is.

I guess the author ran out of ideas for awhile and used this fan service crap to fill in the time gap, I personally think the time gap would have been better served empty.

Edited by truepurple, 29 March 2012 - 08:33 PM.

scizzer12

scizzer12

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
I hate this part of the series as well but it serves as a convoluted method to set up Agnes' backstory so it's necessary. It could have been done better I'm sure but since this manga is more based on the anime than the novel, there's no way this couldn't have found it's way into print.

Pah. If you think this arc is shameless you should see some of the other chapters we're about to release.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
There was a novel and a anime BEFORE the manga? Is the anime better or worse? Novel is better? Where could I find it/download it?

Which one is agnes? I am bad with names, especially these foreign comic names and its been awhile, is that the female protagnist? I don't see it as setting up any kind of backstory at all, I wonder what you see that I don't.

You mean, it doesn't look like we are going to get back to the story or any decent serious chapter, any time soon?

Graves

Graves

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
Here's the answers in three parts:

A) Try googling things. It's easy and works the majority of the time. Here: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Zero_no_Tsukaima

B )You should reread it; there's only 10 chapters. But once again for ease: [Louise: Female Protagonist] [Saito: Male Protagonist] [Princess Henrietta: Emerging sub-protagonist] [Agnes: Princess Henrietta's guard]

C) Well there you go, climax of obscene fan service, moving on to what hopefully leads the way into the story that we've come to enjoy.

Edited by Graves, 13 September 2012 - 10:01 PM.

Spyrofan

Spyrofan

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

There was a novel and a anime BEFORE the manga? Is the anime better or worse? Novel is better? Where could I find it/download it?

Which one is agnes? I am bad with names, especially these foreign comic names and its been awhile, is that the female protagnist? I don't see it as setting up any kind of backstory at all, I wonder what you see that I don't.

You mean, it doesn't look like we are going to get back to the story or any decent serious chapter, any time soon?

yes, its originaly a light novel, but the author died bedore being able to finish it. its being picked up by the other members of the staff so it will end shortly.

the LN is light years away from the manga, its awesome. the anime is good as well, but go with the LN and you will not regret it