Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

One of the best mangas I've read

bokurano tragedy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Leechington

Leechington

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts
It's so dark and over the top, and I love how everything ties together.
Really interesting and amazing.
I've heard the anime is good, but also not as dark which is what they tend to do when they make anime.
I can appreciate wanting to lighten it up a bit, but it usually takes away from the story.

Thoughts?
Favorite characters or individual stories?

Alicepheeze

Alicepheeze

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts
Easily one of my Top 3 Favorite manga of all time. What I loved the most in this work was how despite being depressing and despairing, still leaves you important messages worth of discussion.
My favorite character is Jun Ushiro, in both versions he is well-developed, though Komoda, Kirei and and Nakama´s arcs are arguably the best and most meaningful ones.
EDIT: The anime actually it´s really good, if you are able to see it from its own merits ;)

Edited by Alicepheeze, 26 August 2012 - 10:20 PM.

LupoSolitario

LupoSolitario

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationItalia
It's really a beautiful manga. One of the best story i ever read.
The ending
Spoiler

DeprivedSwitch

DeprivedSwitch

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPH
One of my fave mangas :3

My 3 fave pilots would be:
-Mohiji
-Nakama
-Daichi

But gawd everyone is so admirable, dunno about Kako and Kodama.

Maki's arc was so heart-wrenching...

omnipwnage

omnipwnage

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon
I watched the anime before reading the manga, and even though there are some changes between the two media, they are both still depressing and tragic. The manga is better (as Kitoh obviously wrote the whole thing, so it's more consistent with the overall image of the series) but that doesn't necessarily mean the anime isn't worth watching either.

Still, this is one of my favs, and I'll usually recommend it to anyone looking for an epic sci-fi or tragedy piece.

Tsumi

Tsumi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Location@Batoto

First of all I'd like to say sorry for bumping this old thread but I guess being this the only thread about this manga this should be forgiveable right?

Moving on, I would like to say that this is easily one of the best manga/anime that I have ever read/seen. It had been dormant for a long time, even a couple of years, since I began reading it. At the time it had not been completed and for some reason or another I forgot its name and when I finally found it again I rejoiced and almost jumped of joy for finding it back again and it being complete.

Since the first few chapters you can see that this will be a work worth of expectations for its daring and ruthlessness. I, for one, tire myself of the shounen like mangas where teenagers are suddenly transformed into heroes and fit their roles completely and flawlessly. Sure, shounen manga does have its worth, I will not deny that I enjoy them from time to time, but Bokurano a along with another anime I forgot the name, one in which a bunch of teenagers suddenly find themselves in command of this huge space battleship and have to fight their way out of it or die trying, truly depict, IMHO, what a teenager would feel like if suddenly thrown in such a situation. Heck, even adults that were not prepared physically and even more so mentally to have to face such situations would fall in panic.

Now, not everything is really "real", I mean if we forget the huge sci-fi thing that is, as the teenagers were in more than one occasion really a bit too mature but considering that it IS a MANGA, and in this case a work of fiction, it should and must be excused in its moments of surrealism. Even if there is moments as these, the fact that the story is more about the whole situation, the scenario faced by the children, these moments are enriching actually.

To be able to see the growth in maturity of them rather than their growth in physical potential is actually a lot more rewarding if we were to consider the fact that a lot of manga/anime out there are more worried about an immediate usefulness of their growth and not a growth that can be not so useful "tomorrow" but through out life as a whole.

Also, as someone has already said before, the fact that from beginning to end there be no real miraculously changes in the story (reminds me of MaiHime, sorry!) could actually make it somewhat boring, but since you can actually see changes in the characters and their way of seeing the world along with the never ending twists in the story, twists that actually made sense, does not allow you to have that urge of "just finish already!" that some mangas fall pray to.

Finishing up the post,

Spoiler

Edited by Tsumi, 28 September 2014 - 04:46 AM.