Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Portrayal of women

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

pizhhh

pizhhh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,029 posts
  • Locationin jail
^That's the problem with these "this manga is sexist" threads. People rarely try to look past the double standard.

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

So, a 'portrayal of men as sex-craving maniacs" ?

Well, not that I'm arguing here but I don't think men are really bothered to be thought of as such :P

I guess in the end it's basically mostly just fan-service, it's not deep but it's not meant to be taken that seriously anyway.

"This statement is not true."

Thrilhouse

Thrilhouse

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 36 posts
It's done just to appeal to a male audience.

But if you're worried about the portrayal of women, keep in mind that both Yumin and Kae-Lyn are very strong and determined characters. You can't say the portrayal of women in SKR is negative. Because it isn't.

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts

It's done just to appeal to a male audience.

But if you're worried about the portrayal of women, keep in mind that both Yumin and Kae-Lyn are very strong and determined characters. You can't say the portrayal of women in SKR is negative. Because it isn't.

Now now, no need to be biased. You can't say they're portrayed a certain way to appeal to a male audience and then say there's no negative portrayal whatsoever, it's the gray area we shoot for in situations like these.

Veritatem quaerenti

Veritatem quaerenti

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
to sum it up boichi has obvious messages regarding society as a whole through the characters and the arcs each arc focuses on a part of society and it's issues. Apparently individuals offended by this artful literary piece lack critical thinking skills. Sure there are moments that could be best avoided, but all the same One Piece should end but it has not. Bottom line, think critically.
All who lie are my brothers and sisters, for the Truth is in my flesh and bones.
I am a slave, all who are free curse your flesh and bones.
I am the incarnation of humiliation, all of those with honor, kneel!
All who starve are my adversary and foe, for you chose to kneel!
All have forgotten the right and wrong.
There is only Black and White. Remember well the First Song.
- The Truth

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts

to sum it up boichi has obvious messages regarding society as a whole through the characters and the arcs each arc focuses on a part of society and it's issues. Apparently individuals offended by this artful literary piece lack critical thinking skills. Sure there are moments that could be best avoided, but all the same One Piece should end but it has not. Bottom line, think critically.

This topic really went off on a tangent. I think the OP was just bothered by the 'all women have to be portrayed as sexy' part, and almost anyone who responded was just someone who likes the manga.

One Piece really has nothing to do with what anyone has said here, and while it's been a while since I've read this, I'd be surprised if anyone could seriously call this an 'artful literary piece' and say most other manga aren't.

Veritatem quaerenti

Veritatem quaerenti

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

This topic really went off on a tangent. I think the OP was just bothered by the 'all women have to be portrayed as sexy' part, and almost anyone who responded was just someone who likes the manga.

One Piece really has nothing to do with what anyone has said here, and while it's been a while since I've read this, I'd be surprised if anyone could seriously call this an 'artful literary piece' and say most other manga aren't.

Well for one thing one piece has gone on waaay to long and the original plot has disappeared my point being that this manga is not bad. Among the thousands of manga few actually fit in "artful literary piece" because as a matter of fact most of the among the numerous I have read few instill the crisis a human being has and effectively portrays the entirety of peoples nature and a characters strengths and weaknesses like Shin Angyo Onshi, Vinland saga, Berserker, and Shamo. That being said, even though Sun Ken Rock is obviously quite idealistic for a seinen manga, the author has an exceptional talent to bring about grave social issues through humor and the sublime messages some characters have

Edited by Veritatem quaerenti, 28 April 2012 - 05:11 AM.

All who lie are my brothers and sisters, for the Truth is in my flesh and bones.
I am a slave, all who are free curse your flesh and bones.
I am the incarnation of humiliation, all of those with honor, kneel!
All who starve are my adversary and foe, for you chose to kneel!
All have forgotten the right and wrong.
There is only Black and White. Remember well the First Song.
- The Truth

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts

Well for one thing one piece has gone on waaay to long and the original plot has disappeared my point being that this manga is not bad.

I'm still not seeing the connection from One Piece to this manga... also I actually disagree, I'm impressed by how One Piece actually gives the feeling of a continuous increase in the Grand Line despite being so freaking long... I do feel like it gets off-topic a little too easily and some characters are way more annoying than entertaining.

Among the thousands of manga few actually fit in "artful literary piece" because as a matter of fact most of the among the numerous I have read few instill the crisis a human being has and effectively portrays the entirety of peoples nature and a characters strengths and weaknesses like Shin Angyo Onshi, Vinland saga, Berserker, and Shamo. That being said, even though Sun Ken Rock is obviously quite idealistic for a seinen manga, the author has an exceptional talent to bring about grave social issues through humor and the sublime messages some characters have

This is seinen? I don't recall that... I guess I need to reread this, I most definitely don't remember it being as deep as you claim.

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts

This is seinen? I don't recall that... I guess I need to reread this, I most definitely don't remember it being as deep as you claim.

Sun Ken Rock is obviously a seinen, be it because of the themes it treats or by the art.
Rape, murder, sex, politics, etc... all of that with overly graphic art makes it a seinen without question.

as for the deep meaning, past the comic relief, you need to remember that Boichi talk about corruption, be it in politics or the entertainment world, lots of human nature depicted throught every characters (even those "sexy" female characters) and also personal growth and challenge among others.
One of his great skills is being able to show all these while not stopping the story so even if it doesn't jump to your face it's still there, somewhere in your mind.

Edited by Weaper, 28 April 2012 - 09:42 AM.

Posted Image

Sun-Ken RockGunnmMemories of Enamon

Spoiler

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts

Sun Ken Rock is obviously a seinen, be it because of the themes it treats or by the art.
Rape, murder, sex, politics, etc... all of that with overly graphic art makes it a seinen without question.

I understand the assumption that mature themes makes something a seinen manga as opposed to a shounen manga, but it's actually not definitively the case. Plenty of shounen manga have rape, murder and sex involved, it's generally how maturely (or simply how well) the subject matter is handled that makes it seinen or not.

as for the deep meaning, past the comic relief, you need to remember that Boichi talk about corruption, be it in politics or the entertainment world, lots of human nature depicted throught every characters (even those "sexy" female characters) and also personal growth and challenge among others.
One of his great skills is being able to show all these while not stopping the story so even if it doesn't jump to your face it's still there, somewhere in your mind.

I'm not shooting down Boichi, but corruption is a pretty common theme in manga, just elaborating that this does not definitively make it a seinen manga.

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts
@Bushwhaker2k: it's kinda out of the subject of that thread but my point of view would rather be: How can you think a single second that SKR should be categorised as shonen?" I can't even think about a rational answer to that.
coming from there, it's pretty hard for me to answer you when you try to tone down the plots of SKR but needlessly oversimplying it.

and no, rape and murder are far from your comong shonen plot

Posted Image

Spoiler

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts

@Bushwhaker2k: it's kinda out of the subject of that thread but my point of view would rather be: How can you think a single second that SKR should be categorised as shonen?" I can't even think about a rational answer to that.
coming from there, it's pretty hard for me to answer you when you try to tone down the plots of SKR but needlessly oversimplying it.

I'm not really going to continue this conversation, I've said what I needed to say. Your statements now are bordering less on 'what defines shounen/seinen' and more 'how dare you imply that SKR might not be mature and high-level work'. Like I said earlier, I haven't read it in a while, I'm not saying it's shounen.

and no, rape and murder are far from your comong shonen plot

I guarantee you that rape and murder are not at all uncommon in shounen manga.

Also, to clarify: shounen does not mean that something is intended for children, it just means it's not as mature in content as seinen.

Edited by bushwhacker2k, 30 April 2012 - 02:48 AM.

Janessa_12

Janessa_12

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPhiliphines,san pedro laguna
Potrayal of woman?
they are ALLLLLL beautiful!! :batoto_022: .......

but why do they need to be violated.. <_<

jaykie13

jaykie13

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
i think he didn't make the girls like for fan service, I've seen many manga who gives fan service on daily chapters and I promise you this is to disturbing or I may call it "heart aching scenes" to be just fan service, this is just to show a part of a world that our current community or state created and even though living in that kind of world they are still struggling with their might even for the women in this manwha, after reading this manwha I kinda appreciate women more and respect them for WHO they are not WHAT this world had made them into.. just quoting what ken said to a girl in the early part of the manwha "their are no such thing as defiled person" and in response it raised the girl's spirit to chase her dreams and never give up or get her spirit broken because of the inhumane things done to her.

just to say their are still some parts that serve the fans; some find it appealing others find it repulsing but that's just the way it is.. this setting is based on a world were drugs, killing, stealing and many more are just a common thing of course prostitution in this world is also common if you can't handle it then don't read it, not everyone can be pleased.

overall this manhwa is great cause even in a world like that someone can live a honest and just life that most people had already forgotten because of their own greed.

if you read what I wrote all the way you have my thanks.
just giving a thought sorry if I hurt some feelings just as I said not everyone can be pleased.
^_^ \m/

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts
@Jaykie13: you're saying what I think, just a little fix: it's a manga and not a manwha
The mangaka is korean but live, work and publish in Japan and in a Japanese magazine, hence manga

Posted Image

Spoiler

Pax Empyrean

Pax Empyrean

Potato

• Members
  • 123 posts
Listed in order of priority, this manga features:

Fighting
Food
Fanservice

I can't be the only one to think that any time Boichi writes when he's hungry we get a chapter's worth of characters eating.

DNight

DNight

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 3 posts

Potrayal of woman?
they are ALLLLLL beautiful!! :batoto_022: .......

but why do they need to be violated.. <_<

i do agree
i'm a girl XD thow i am lesbain i love Sun-Ken Rock
i think many women are alot more pervy then most would let on
i know i am ^^

Pax Empyrean

Pax Empyrean

Potato

• Members
  • 123 posts

it seems that my post has been deleted ........................
just stfu and gtfu out if it bothers u

I'm sure it was a masterpiece of both thought and the written word, and we're all living lives that are just a little more desolate for having been deprived of the chance to read it. Clearly you are a gentleman and a scholar. How dare they?

Trebor

Trebor

Voice to the Voiceless

• Administrators
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationUSA
72 hour posting ban for offending user.
Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri

Rud

Rud

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
Connection with One Piece...hm, it seems the other guy confused the original poster op with one piece.

Anyways, I think its ridiculous to call this manga shonen. Its definitely seinen, what with the topics it covers and the over the top ecchi.