Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Are torrent websites going to go down too?

sopa reading discussion downloading torrent

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Dai Satō

Dai Satō

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • LocationIn yo mind
After hearing filesonic and megaupload going down at first i wasnt bothered by it because i use torrents but i started to wonder are they going to aim for torrent websites like Kat.ph (kickasstorrent.com) or are they gonna shut down the website that makes the torrent programs like bittorrent.com?

large.jpg

ryvrdrgn14

ryvrdrgn14

Potato

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
As long as the Pirate Bay keeps sailing you should be fine.

"To have so many creative people who can tell wonderful stories is a blessing."

"Not being one of them is a curse."

Posted Image

Deviantart Page | Youtube Channel

Dai Satō

Dai Satō

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • LocationIn yo mind

i never use pirate is it any good?

large.jpg

ryvrdrgn14

ryvrdrgn14

Potato

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

i never use pirate is it any good?

It's a torrent site that the US government has tried to shut down repeatedly but it's still going. If it does go down then you can expect the others to follow.

For your amusement:

http://thepiratebay.org/legal

Edited by ryvrdrgn14, 24 January 2012 - 06:26 PM.

"To have so many creative people who can tell wonderful stories is a blessing."

"Not being one of them is a curse."

Posted Image

Deviantart Page | Youtube Channel

Katzilla

Katzilla

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,097 posts
It'd be difficult to take them all down, especially since a lot of 'em aren't under US Jurisdiction.

sig-1.png

Dai Satō

Dai Satō

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • LocationIn yo mind

It'd be difficult to take them all down, especially since a lot of 'em aren't under US Jurisdiction.

so its safe to assume that they can't take out the website that gives us the files

how about the websites that gives us the program

(side thought) if they get rid of the website would the program still work?

large.jpg

Katzilla

Katzilla

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,097 posts
You mean uTorrent and such? These are clients, even if one goes down another can replace it. The important thing is the site hosting the torrent files. Though if a popular client goes down it might damage the seeding coming from the people using it.

Edited by Katsuri, 24 January 2012 - 06:47 PM.

sig-1.png

Departure

Departure

Potato

• Contributor
  • 123 posts
  • LocationLaLaLaLaND

Utorrent, bittorrent and what not, might not be going down. To many corporations have invested in it.

TheGodfather

TheGodfather

Batoto Chief Mafioso

• The Company (inactive)
  • 481 posts
  • LocationAustralia
The internet will die before thepiratebay closes down. They are the most vigilant torrent site there is. TorrentFreak and others are also still up and don't seem to be backing down any time soon. What's more problematic for sites like those is that uploaders from the US for copyrighted material may not continue doing so, fearing legal action.
Spoiler

i fucking love fembot for hustling on GB with Kareia and Kento <333333

Ruka Crosszeria

Ruka Crosszeria

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
Annoying PIPA and SOPA >.>

Well where can we find sites that provides downloads like how Megaupload does?

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
Mediafire ftw, and it isn't going to shut down imo since too many powerful companies use it (take the tour of mediafire and see xD)

soranokira

soranokira

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 687 posts
who knows. but mediafire ftw.
Posted Image
Favorite Manga: Record of Fallen Vampire, Hayate the Combat Butler, Kekkaishi
Main reason: Akabara Strauss and plot/story flow, Tennousu Athena arc/Katsura Hinagiku, Kidoin Nura and story flow

TheGodfather

TheGodfather

Batoto Chief Mafioso

• The Company (inactive)
  • 481 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Here's a start:

http://torrentfreak.com/dutch-isps-refuse-to-block-the-pirate-bay-120129/
Spoiler

i fucking love fembot for hustling on GB with Kareia and Kento <333333

MTRandom

MTRandom

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 27 posts
Companies like Facebook would aggressively bite back against anything torrents. Because they use it to decimate files in their data centers (arguably, Facebook though, is the only legal use of bittorrent)

Edited by MTRandom, 30 January 2012 - 09:06 PM.

Posted Image

My identifying & general purpose encryption RSA public key:
Spoiler

manga2x

manga2x

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTawi Tawi naval district
If you haven't heard.
http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-founders-prison-sentences-final-supreme-court-appeal-rejected-120201/

Quote from the news above
-----------------------------------
Today’s news doesn’t necessarily means that the defendants will have to go to prison. It is common in the Swedish justice system to deduct 12 months from any prison sentence on cases over 5 years old. Since the case in question meets that criteria the Pirate Bay defendants would qualify, but the decision lies with the court.

Even if denied, the Pirate Bay founders still have a few months of freedom before they are required to serve their prison sentences. Also, both Peter Sunde and Fredrik Neij no longer live in Sweden, which may complicate things.

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
A torrent site just went down.

http://btjunkie.org

http://torrentfreak.com/btjunkie-shuts-down-for-good-120206/

I'm sure that if you torrent, you've come across this site at least once.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

-Hamlet, Act V

2z50p6t.png

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...
afaik, torrent sites aren't "technically" hosting any copyright-protected files. only the .torrent files that are used by the [torrent] client to find the files using trackers or pex. add to the fact that most of these sites aren't US based, as pointed out by @Katsuri, it will take some monstrous coordination by countries to shut down these sites. [which makes the prospect of ACTA (google it) scarier than both SOPA and PIPA]

You mean uTorrent and such? These are clients, even if one goes down another can replace it. The important thing is the site hosting the torrent files. Though if a popular client goes down it might damage the seeding coming from the people using it.

i've read somewhere that most [idk which] are now transitioning to using magnet links instead of .torrent files. so instead of getting the .torrent file from the site, you only get the link from the site and now you get the .torrent file from the swarm itself. [or that's how i understood it.]
tl;dr: less liability for torrent sites since they aren't really hosting much of anything at that point.

Edited by seyrine, 06 February 2012 - 11:53 AM.

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!

Katzilla

Katzilla

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,097 posts
I've heard of magnet links. I'm not sure if it's something I'll get used to or not, should it get implemented.

sig-1.png

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...

I've heard of magnet links. I'm not sure if it's something I'll get used to or not, should it get implemented.

from what i've tested so far, the implementation is pretty much the same. they're doing it in a way that you don't have to get used to it, you just do. though that depends on what client you're using as well, i know current utorrent builds aren't friends with magnet links.

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!

Katzilla

Katzilla

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,097 posts
Hrmmm...that's not good news to me. I may need to switch clients. It's not that big of a deal though, if it'll allow easier access and downloading of files.

sig-1.png