Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

This version feels more seinen, and not a chibi in sight.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Pax Empyrean

Pax Empyrean

Potato

• Members
  • 123 posts
So, there are a lot of different adaptations of the original flash manga from 2chan, but this one is my favorite so far. While the art style of "Be Mine, Hero" is decent, I like the character designs better in this version. The eyes are a little smaller and sharper, and I think the Queen is drawn as more conventionally beautiful rather than going for the generic manga cuteness. The Hero also comes across as a little less of an idiot, and exposition is usually accompanied by more artistic poses of the characters or detailed closeups of their faces rather than just drawing chibis next to walls of text. Jokes are accompanied by changes in the way that the faces are drawn instead of drawing everybody as chibis. The Queen is still just awkward enough to be surprising, and it was pretty funny how she tried to jump on Hero, stopped to establish the contract, and then jumped on him again. The comedy is a little more understated. Even though the story is basically the same, these other changes give it more of a seinen feel than the other versions.

I'll be following all the versions concurrently, but this one is my preference.

Linksys

Linksys

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 7 posts
I'm glad at least some people understand the merit of having multiple serializations with different styles of a single series. Unlike the <REDACTED BECAUSE SOMEONE SAID IT'S TOO MEAN> going around posting stuff like:

.... ok HOW many alternative adaptations THIS story WILL get???? for crying out loud its not geting funny anymore >.>

........i just dont know what to say anymore........

(On this Maoyuu page and on the Maoyuu Oka no Mukou he page.)

Edited by Linksys, 06 January 2012 - 08:52 PM.

I made this site: http://vi-scans.com/
I do super literal (faithful) translations.
Posted Image

Pax Empyrean

Pax Empyrean

Potato

• Members
  • 123 posts
Yeah, I don't see why anybody would complain about more adaptations of this story, especially since all of them differ in style and presentation, and even characterization to some extent. The different adaptations are all published in different magazines, aren't they? It makes sense that they'd be tailored to different demographics. When I heard that there was a version with a more seinen slant to it I was a little disappointed that the guys doing the "Be Mine, Hero" version (Extras) didn't pick it up instead, but with VIS picking up this version I'm glad it worked out that way. I enjoy that adaptation as well, but I think that for this type of story a seinen style is best.

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure
2chan flash manga - what nonsense is that

all are based on novels
Spoiler

Pax Empyrean

Pax Empyrean

Potato

• Members
  • 123 posts
It was originally posted on 2chan. It got an animated flash adaptation there. The light novels and manga adaptations were published later.

Raphenox

Raphenox

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
Not sure about this version. I'm okay with any type of art as long as it's done well, but the story telling is a bit weird and feels incomplete compared to chibi version. Granted that its still early, I'll wait a bit longer before i make a final decision. :P

Edited by Raphenox, 31 January 2012 - 11:22 PM.

Pax Empyrean

Pax Empyrean

Potato

• Members
  • 123 posts
Each version has a slightly different take on the story. In this one, we get some stuff at the start from the Queen's childhood. I don't think any of the others had anything like that.

stephen01king

stephen01king

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
you know, seinen had always been the type of story that's perfect for me, and this just proves it, i definitely prefer this version over the main one...

acolyte

acolyte

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
I'm a kid [at heart], so this adaptation's my least favorite between the adaptations~
But it's still nice though~

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.

While I can see the merit of having many versions, the whole thing isn't an important enough story to me for me to actually feel like reading all of them.  Got too many manga to read already, and even now and then something else to do.  So while it may be if I read this one I'd be persuaded by its superior aspects I think I'll stick with the first one I saw.  Unfair, but there you go.

sukanime

sukanime

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I like this version too...
for me, it's because the art, to bad the scans group stop the project... T_T