Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Discuss the awesomeness

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.
I think this manga should have a thread for chewing over what makes it so great, whether it made you cry, and whatnot. So many people I run across who read a lot of manga mention this one as being one of their faves, a fan thread seems not out of line.

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts
this manga was really good. I found the ending a bit sad but I liked the story telling.
I read somewhere that the author wanted to do one more volume before ending it, but they didn´t let her do anther volume.

Autumn

Autumn

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • LocationBelgium
It talked about a dark theme while still staying a good (and realistic) story. The end was sad, it's true, but it still ended on a good note and it would be the same without it.

Edited by Autumn, 25 December 2011 - 12:50 AM.

*Ninja'd since... 2011*

Also... can't seem to do calculations properly

"Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone" (Paul Verlaine)

-> if you're bored and don't know french, you can always try to (google-)TL this^^

Autumn

Autumn

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • LocationBelgium

It talked about a dark theme while still staying a good (and realistic ?) story. The end was sad, it's true, but it still ended on a good note and it would be the same without it.

*Ninja'd since... 2011*

Also... can't seem to do calculations properly

"Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone" (Paul Verlaine)

-> if you're bored and don't know french, you can always try to (google-)TL this^^

CharlieAL

CharlieAL

Potato

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBsAs, ARG.
With a sad ending, is it that good to read?

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

With a sad ending, is it that good to read?

if you haven´t read this manga, read it, the ending is not that sad. read it and build your own opinion.

Edited by hero, 20 January 2012 - 11:15 AM.

CharlieAL

CharlieAL

Potato

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBsAs, ARG.
Well, I just finished reading it...
Spoiler

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

Well, I just finished reading it...

Spoiler

Spoiler

CharlieAL

CharlieAL

Potato

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBsAs, ARG.
well, they're young so is kinda difficult for anyone to actually decide your lifetime partner at that age, plus both of them were emotionally wounded...
That way of thinking really could change with mutual support in the future.

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

well, they're young so is kinda difficult for anyone to actually decide your lifetime partner at that age, plus both of them were emotionally wounded...
That way of thinking really could change with mutual support in the future.

I know what you mean, I just wanted to say why it is a bitter-sweet ending, you cna´t know if they will stay together forever.

GrimNights

GrimNights

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts
I agree that it was more of a bitter-sweet ending, I kinda don't like how they belittle themselves at the the end but that is just my opinion.
It definitely one of my favs even after reading it a few times already.

Cyrial

Cyrial

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMany places at once
In my life I have read only 2 manga 3 times: Bitter Virgin and Hoshi no Samidare. Every time I have read Bitter Virgin I have cried. Several times. Absolutely beautiful story.

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark
Spoiler

Posted Image
Spoiler

ChefOtaku

ChefOtaku

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts
This is, without question the best manga I have ever read. After I finished it, it still took a while to sink in. The subject matter was something very personal to my life. And in regards to the ending. The way they both put their desires for happiness above themselves shows that they are approaching this special kind of relationship in an adult fashion. That is the kind that has a truly happy future.

Calamari

Calamari

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCanada
I also read this a couple years ago. I really liked this story. I think I'll read it again now. The ending I agree was bitter-sweet from my memory. I hope they do stay together in the end! Nobody knows

granolabar

granolabar

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
ending was pretty hopeful, way i see it, but Bon jovi says it better

"We've got to hold on to what we've got
'Cause it doesn't make a difference if we make it or not.
We've got each other and that's a lot
for love -
We'll give it a shot."

hope they make it

shadowdart

shadowdart

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
The first time I read it, I felt the same bittersweet feeling at the end. But after I thought it over and let the idea of what they were saying wash over me, I ended up really liking the ending. Seeing as how they have yet to start their intimate relationship, they have not yet begun to communicate honestly with each other. So, once they see how much the other wants the best for them, they will become ever me closer. Can not come up with a better ending.

Sook

Sook

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
Bitter Virgin reminds me of the many sad stories I saw during my university days. It's an awful truth, and the thing that's most upsetting (in my opinion) is that the rapist wasn't apprehended.

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.
I'm with shadowdart on the ending. At the end, they both love each other so much, that they fear they are unworthy of the other person, and so selflessly that, should a person better for their love come along, they imagine they would step aside for the good of their loved one. But it's exactly that sentiment that makes it so obvious no such person could appear. Note that they don't even have to say or think "I will love this person forever"--that's the bedrock the stuff they actually think about is built on. I don't find the ending remotely ambiguous, it's inspiring, uplifting for me. I feel much more confident that they will always be together than I do when most romantic couples swear up and down that they will.

kkio

kkio

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAway for the time being.

I guess the whole bittersweetness (that word even exist?) of the ending

Spoiler

A really good story. Really. Don't have enough words for it. Had I read it a couple of years ago it would enter my list of "stories that restored my faith in manga". However, I've read so many, so good since then, that I don't actually need such a list anymore. But it is a top contender, and I doubt it will ever leave the spot.

Anybody recommends other works of the same author? I think I should actually open another thread for this though. But I'm not sure.

Edit: Oh, and about crying, I didn't during the whole thing. I don't blame the author, for I have issues of my own that should deserve the crying and somewhat hardened me throughout the drama. But it did make me smile, from smirks to full grins. So if you haven't read it and just take it for a sad, psychologically heavy story full of drama and cliffhangers based on what people said here, you are right. But be prepared for a lot of good surprises. I mean it.

Edit the 2nd: Oh the art. How could I forget. It's really good. Nothing out of ordinary, but beyond being pleasant to the eyes, it catches the atmosphere well and the characters can express their emotions quite fluently. There are many cute scenes for those who like it. And the gore is almost inexistant for a story like that. I just couldn't bear to watch the flirty girl (can't remember her name, and I just finished reading...it's that gyaru). Sorry Kusunoki-sensei. That curly hair must have being a pain to draw on closeups. But I can't stand gyaru. Be it real or drawn.

Edited by kkio, 23 April 2013 - 02:02 AM.