Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Alphabet Game

alphabet game spam forum games

• Please log in to reply
13159 replies to this topic

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Most cows I've seen didn't seem lonely.

Moving to Ubuntu for good, eh... It's fine as long as you have no particular games or professional software that you need. The browser works fine, generic programs that do generic things are available.

Anything to do with servers, and some other niche pockets of stuff (some robotics stuff, for one) will work better on Ubuntu than Windows but those are the exceptions to the rule.

And you better be comfortable with the command-line if you want to do much beyond web browsing and document editing.

(I'm sure you already have your own opinions on this, this is mostly me mumbling about why I'm still on Windows)

X-Files Yeah it's a stretch but there just aren't enough X's

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

actually I can't boot back into windows nao for whatever reason... always reboots when I select the option

I guess it's a done deal, I'm married to ubuntu for good

Yaksha

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Zodiacal

Yeah, my old laptop ended up in exactly that state eventually.

I shouldn't have tried to boot into windows-7-priate-bay-edition-on-a-usb-stick, but it was so fun, even if it borked the vista install.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Accounting... Ubuntu didn't quite work so I tried to do centos 7 which made it worse.

So I have a solid state nvm2 drive that is just sitting there doing nothing at the moment. I can't clone windows 10 onto it because it's too small. I don't want to have reinstall because I have office and the other stuff on it... This is sheer madness

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
So, load your existing windows onto a cheap old HDD, then play with your cute little speed demon separately. Right? I say this but that would drive me mad, personally, for multiple reasons.

If you really care, shrinking an existing image for cloning is totally possible—I did it when moving to an ssd. It's a PiTA but I can give you pointers if you want.

Bumblebee

Basically the steps are, more or less:
1. Clear up enough space so that the partitions you want to clone can be shrunk down to fit on the new drive.
2. If necessary, defrag the drive in such a manner as to push files towards the beginning of the partition (Though I think windows will normally handle this for you if you tell it you want to shrink a partition). This can get tricky if any system files are involved that can't be moved while Windows is running.
3. Shrink the partition
4. Partition-wise clone over to the new drive Just look up how to clone to a smaller drive with Clonezilla (or your cloning software of choice, I suppose)

Edited by pokari, 23 July 2019 - 04:51 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

chalcedon

Yah I bought a samsung nvm drive just so I could use their cloning software. I did basically what you suggested and moved everything I don't need off to a backup usb drive and freed up enough space so I could clone.

Somehow windows 10 feels disappointingly slow compare to the linux variants

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Doublet

The past two days were exhausting. There was something resembling a party and/or social occasion over 24 hours ago and I still haven't recovered.

In fact I've felt sort of ill all day, come to think of it o.o;

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Effigy

you can choose your friends but you can't choose family...

in other news, people at work were talking about the shooter. Just 19! What did the world have to do you to be so angry?! And why take out joe schmoe when people at the top are the ones who are mostly responsible for your misery??!!

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Follicle

I might have gone to that festival on that day too if it wasn't so damn hot. Interesting to think about.

Not that that would have put me in any particular risk (only a few people got hurt, actually I'm kind of amazed how few given how thick the crowds there usually are) but presumably it would be somewhat disturbing if I were nearby physically (and/or temporally) to such an event.

I mean, I kind of assume the kid really was just messed in the head in this case, one way or another. I'm not one of those "shootings are the fault of a mental illness epidemic" folks, but in this case, it's hard to imagine it as anything but a neurotic cry for attention, unless he really had a compelling reason to hate the garlic industry (trying to imagine this now—it seems he grew up nearby, maybe deep down he just really got sick of the smell of garlic? Those fields can smell pretty strong sometimes, though not, I think, enough that it would drive me to indiscriminate murder...).

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Goblins

It wasn't so much a cry for attention I think, more like taking revenge on the world and the people in it. He was profoundly disappointed and angry. Some people seem to be more easily grieved than others. I mean, if people rubbed me the wrong way, I might be upset for a while, but it usually goes away by the end of the day. Maybe some people just focus on the anger

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Horticulture

Like, normally that's what I might think, but taking fire on an agricultural product festival...?

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Imbibe

Right, changing subjects.

I've been reading a lot of the shoujo-isekai, I-am-the-villainess-in-the-reverse-harem-game manga that have been springing up lately.

It's already well past the point where the genre is large enough that it's parodying itself.

So, isekai are already firmly based in having genre-aware characters breaking what would normally be the fourth wall, the reverse-harem isekai inverts the demographic on those now-well-established trooes, making the character the villainess is supposed to be a subversion or some such even if it isn't really in practice... and then we parody of all that, bundled together.

It starts to feel like Inception if I think about it too hard.

Though, the end result is pretty pedestrian and formulaic somehow (though I enjoy them perhaps much more than I should.).

Edited by pokari, 17 August 2019 - 04:03 AM.

You

You

Savage Potato

• Members
  • 3,262 posts
Justified

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_9e1zrqkbvu8s

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Kartoffel

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

Listicle

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Mauve

Listicle

I did not know that word owo; I think it's sort of horrifying that such a kitschy portmanteau exists XD

You

You

Savage Potato

• Members
  • 3,262 posts
Nevertheless

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_9e1zrqkbvu8s

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Ovation

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

Peach

Edited by penrosecat, 20 January 2020 - 08:55 PM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Quaff