Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Alphabet Game

alphabet game spam forum games

• Please log in to reply
13159 replies to this topic

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Dude

will be busy couple during the next couple of weeks doing work-related stuff

Imnostrong

Imnostrong

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationUnder the Big Blue Sky

Effervescent

Live like there's no tomorrow 

Time Of Peace

rsz_1rsz_42012-11-20-542467_zps5pecouhb.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts
Fuck

There’s no future only present expectation of the future which is colored by present memory of the past

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Gamut

Effervescent

Live like there's no tomorrow

There's a whole bunch of stuff I would maybe do if there were definitely no tomorrow, that would be distinctly unwise in a world where there is one.

Fuck

There’s no future only present expectation of the future which is colored by present memory of the past

Alas, if only our collective present memory of the past went back a little further than (roughly) the past half-century at any given time, we could all be a little more prescient about our present expectations of the future.

Dude

will be busy couple during the next couple of weeks doing work-related stuff

kk

Take care of yourself, it sounds like life has already been pretty taxing lately :/

*extra extra hugs*

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

Hey

I was busy finishing my game and other work stuff. I am kind of sad I finished it, tbh :(

But it was nice to let go and take a real break (usually just sleep)

Come on three weeks, go by fast

But then again, don't go by without me noticing, because if i suddenly warped into a future without experiencing a bit of it, I would have missed out on my own life, which would suck. 

Yeah, the future will be great, I am only concerned about the extent to which my body will cope up, might have to go to the gym like certain friends.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

I was busy finishing my game and other work stuff. I am kind of sad I finished it, tbh :(

For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in proceeding posts was meant as an accusatorial "where are you all?"; my feelings that everyone should be free to come and go as they wish, remain the same as always.

I know very much the feeling of sadness that a good thing is over, which is why I sometimes peter off near the end of games I really like and asymptotically approach completion without actually finishing it (and then maybe come back years later when I don't care as much and actually finish it) which solves that particular problem but it probably pretty silly of me overall uwu;

But it was nice to let go and take a real break (usually just sleep)

Come on three weeks, go by fast

But then again, don't go by without me noticing, because if i suddenly warped into a future without experiencing a bit of it, I would have missed out on my own life, which would suck. 

Yeah, the future will be great, I am only concerned about the extent to which my body will cope up, might have to go to the gym like certain friends.

It would be nice if we didn't have to live all the bits of our lives in front-to-back order and instead could skip around a bit and parcel out bits we like and don't like as we please. u.u

Intertwined

Imnostrong

Imnostrong

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 97 posts

There's a whole bunch of stuff I would maybe do if there were definitely no tomorrow, that would be distinctly unwise in a world where there is one.

Jabberwocky

I guess Gandhi didn't really thought of it that far ahead...

Time Of Peace

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Keratin

Jabberwocky

I guess Gandhi didn't really thought of it that far ahead...

This is maybe a bit dark, but we have a family friend who was once upon a time a lawyer, and back in the 80's his clientele was comprised in parge part by people from the San Francisco gay community (apparently, when your clients learn about you by word of mouth you end up working with particular communities even if it has nothing to do with your practice per se) and he has some stories of heart-wrenching things happen as AIDS swept through that community.

One of which was, pertinently, in the aftermath, when advances in medicine meant AIDS was suddenly no longer a death sentence—but several of those who already had known they'd had it, had already blown through their life savings and racked up huge debts in what was supposed to be a last blaze of glory before their untimely demise, and those people suddenly found themselves alive but with less than nothing (and with a bunch of dead friends and/or lovers, no less) in what surely mist have felt like some sort of cruel cosmic joke.

Of course, everyone understands that any "live like tomorrow is your last," sort of advice is not to be taken literally, but rather more calmly, just to consider what it is you want to do, and not to dilly-dally about it. ~w~

I've just always been a hyper-literal person by nature.

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

Landlubber

maybe the future isn't always that bad and we should always trust things to work out fine.

but the fact is there is no such thing as karma yet there is such a thing as luck

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Meretricious A word I am vaguely aware exists but had to double-check the spelling and meaning

I mean, when we get down to it, trusting that everything is going to be fine is a crutch—there's no way of knowing whether everything will be fine (though then again, the whole meaning of "trusting" is believing in something unverifiable); if we were more enlightened we could perhaps adopt a calm "whatever happens will happen" attitude towards everything that is beyond our control, good or bad—but that's hard, it's much easier to go on leaning on the (not unreasonable) hope that everything will be okay and then gritting our teeth through the (hopefully) short periods when it doesn't, because otherwise we're stuck looking over our backs all the time (since we're not all that good by nature at just "letting go" of thoughts of things that could go wrong that are beyond our control; instead we get caught fretting and struggling over them and wear ourselves down pointlessly).

But, well, while I say it's a crutch, I think that's okay. We all need stuff to lean on sometimes. :'3

Edited by pokari, 26 June 2019 - 05:53 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

that's a great word

Nuts

There's no reason not to believe in a positive outcome... in fact, it's why a lot of people believe fervantly for Jesus return. 

I just realized that my mind wasn't really here for the past couple of days and I was just making all sorts of cognitive errors. 

Getting this cisco ASA to work has been a pain in the neck

Imnostrong

Imnostrong

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 97 posts

Ochlocracy

Meretricious A word I am vaguely aware exists but had to double-check the spelling and meaning

I mean, when we get down to it, trusting that everything is going to be fine is a crutch—there's no way of knowing whether everything will be fine (though then again, the whole meaning of "trusting" is believing in something unverifiable); if we were more enlightened we could perhaps adopt a calm "whatever happens will happen" attitude towards everything that is beyond our control, good or bad—but that's hard, it's much easier to go on leaning on the (not unreasonable) hope that everything will be okay and then gritting our teeth through the (hopefully) short periods when it doesn't, because otherwise we're stuck looking over our backs all the time (since we're not all that good by nature at just "letting go" of thoughts of things that could go wrong that are beyond our control; instead we get caught fretting and struggling over them and wear ourselves down pointlessly).

But, well, while I say it's a crutch, I think that's okay. We all need stuff to lean on sometimes. :'3

I think you just define what Faith really is. Believing something that doesn't have any foundation or proof whether it could be right or wrong

Two things I can say for certain is that Faith brings Hope

and the power of Hope is like a slogan in a bumper sticker

:batoto_032:

Time Of Peace

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

There's no reason not to believe in a positive outcome... in fact, it's why a lot of people believe fervantly for Jesus return. 
I just realized that my mind wasn't really here for the past couple of days and I was just making all sorts of cognitive errors. 
Getting this cisco ASA to work has been a pain in the neck

But... Isn't Jesus' return supposed to be Armageddon-time? owo; I'm never going to understand why people get so excited about that >_>;

(Though if we're going to have an apocalypse, mythic or mundane, I to some extent do selfishly want it to happen while I'm alive, though near the end of my expected life, so I can watch it all go down. It would be the most significant event in the history of mankind; kinda like the satisfaction of reading to the end even if the ending sucks.)

And yeah, it always sucks when you realise after-the-fact that you weren't actually operating on all cylinders for the past few days, and now you have to live with what you've done. Or at least that's how it's been for me in the coding profession =~=;

and the power of Hope is like a slogan in a bumper sticker

So, it has the power to make me giggle a bit, nothing more? Oh dear, I'd hoped hope was worth more than that! owo;

Oh, I'd almost completely forgotten about Batoto's animal-sticker emoticons. That takes me back <3
:batoto_001:

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

boring...

almighties that speak of punishment, vengeance, etc. sure have their focus on petty things

not sure if they are proper gods, if they need to rely on fear for submission

kind of loserish

also like people who believe in praying are super stupid

kind of like wishing to clear exams with pure willpower/hope (when you're not a shounen hero)

quaint

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Reticulate Thank you for this one, Maxis of old

Well, praying before exams probably helps steady the nerves of some people, which might well conceivably help them.

More mystifying to me is the prayer culture of the deep south here; you fervently pray for the stupidest and most trivial things; like having group prayer for your sports team to win (This would make more sense to me if everyone had local gods but I mean, if god existed I could only imagine the bloke would raise an eyebrow at this sort of thing).

I was doing community service in Texas once (our high school required X hours of community service for a few classes or maybe that was just the teachers; either way I procrastinated and ended up doing some while on vacation visiting relatives); everything was going pretty normally and straightforwardly to my expectations (we were driving around picking up donated furniture) until the sky began to cloud up.

Then the lady driving the truck turned to me and asked, "How good are you at praying?"

I was nonplussed. I wasn't aware that praying was a skill (surely you're not supposed to wheedle when asking the almighty a favour) but I was certain that, as an atheist, I was probably wasn't going to be terribly good at it—though of course I couldn't tell her that.

Furthermore to the extent that I wasn't just confused, the question seemed a wee bit ominous, coming as it did apropos of nothing. It seemed to portend something terrible in the near past, present, or future—something that needed the grace of god to pass by safely—were we all about to die? Surely not.

"Because it looks like it might rain," she continued after a pause, suggesting that perhaps with the power of prayer we might stave this off 'till the truck got back to the warehouse so the furniture in back didn't get wet.

I continued to be nonplussed. I don't recall that I could think of anything to say to all of this, but I definitely felt that for an area that supposedly revered their god a lot more fervently than back home, they seemed to be asking some relatively petty things of him. Indeed, he seemed treated a bit more like the mommy you go ask things from whenever you want something, than the mighty force at the wheel of the cosmos. It was weird. I can't decide if it's a good or a bad thing.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Sanctuary

I think prayers are helpful because it makes you reflect upon your past. Even for nonreligious people it helps to clear your mind and focus on things that you care about. 

Personally I think everyone wants some degree of financial freedom, some degree of novelty and exploration, some degree of social affirmation. And its fine to ask for those from a diety. 

Praying for rain used to be a thing in the agricultural days. So were human sacrifices too. We just have so much control over our environments that we don't need supernatural guardians any more. The only thing we need dieties for are existential dilemmas, the Big Questions. 

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
And for that any old philosophy will do.

Except for dealing with people's fear of death, maybe...? I get why people feel the need to reassure themselves that there is an afterlife no matter how much evidence one has to ignore to reach that conclusion.

The only other options seem to be either philosophically "accepting" death, or else always being upset about it in the background.

For myself, I intend to stay honestly upset about my likely mortality.

Tripiṭaka

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Umbrella - i forgot mi umbrella

But i think i stole somebody's (unclaimed) umbrella that looked a lot like mine

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Vim (and vigor)

Don't stop now, only three wrongs make a right! Two mistakes just makes a U-turn.

Or was that "lefts"? Hm.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

wandering ... 

I wander lonely as a cow over hills and vales...  

in other news after windows crashed on me again i'm switch over to ubuntu... for good