Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

what is EIICHIRO ODA for you?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

foursony

foursony

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
I'm curious to know everyone's feelings on Eiichiro Oda.
What do you think of him as an artist? As a writer?
What do you think of his work? (One Piece)
Thus he need improvements ?
and blah....blah...blah...

powha

powha

Vocaloid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationGensokyo
He's the BAWS. =_=
I love One Piece, its just one of the best series around. The story, character development,etc.. is just epic.
Art is very unique and people usually love it or hate it. At first i was skeptical about it, but when i started watching, i couldnt stop :D
Although i dont read manga(so i dont spoil the anime), im sure that both are pretty epic. :D

Long live Oda. \o/

grandking3

grandking3

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 36 posts
I enjoy eiichiro oda work, there are times when it's been dragged out and boring to read and other times when i couldn't put it down. he's a great mangaka but there's always room for improvement. i was very heartbroken when i heard that that the 2yr time-skip was only the halfway point for one piece. but i guess it's natural when you have a cash cow like op bring in the dough you want to milk it for all it's worth.

GodOfAll

GodOfAll

Potato

• Members
  • 139 posts

I enjoy eiichiro oda work, there are times when it's been dragged out and boring to read and other times when i couldn't put it down. he's a great mangaka but there's always room for improvement. i was very heartbroken when i heard that that the 2yr time-skip was only the halfway point for one piece. but i guess it's natural when you have a cash cow like op bring in the dough you want to milk it for all it's worth.

Well, I will have to disagree, personally I am a huge fan of OP but I don't think it will matter. I maybe a bit biased but a manga being milked to the max *glares at naruto and bleach* will turn the story to shit, look at those 2 manga, see how bad it became? OP is not like that, I check each chapter to see if it had turned like that, and from what I see, it might have been like that at one point (remember all those breaks) but it seem like it is no longer so, after all oda was rushing through FI arc (since I don't think he likes it too). Long live OP! (btw in around chapter 350++, oda was still excited about making OP, notice he actually changed one of this SBS to talk about OP being officially translated)
I am god.

Graeystone

Graeystone

Potato

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationNW PA
He's one of those mangaka who tries to cram as much text into each chapter as humanly possible.

Posted Image

Power without Love leads to tyranny. Love without Power to protect will fade.

The only absolute thing about absolute techniques is that sooner or later somebody absolutely breaks them.

There are no fan-boys. Just an-girls who don't need a bra and their plumbing is on the outside.

Darkwings

Darkwings

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

I maybe a bit biased but a manga being milked to the max *glares at naruto and bleach* will turn the story to shit, look at those 2 manga, see how bad it became?

Truth is most readers can't see that. They like what they like, without looking at the rest of the stuff they probably never even knew of.
Some are kids so it's sort of justified.
The point is that kind of reader is basically the target of the whole Jump stuff.

As a far as a funny random story can go, any reader who wants more than just booms, power ups and cool characters is well capable of telling wich is wich.

AS far as my bias is concerned:

-There's not a crapload of characters, and they have a background, not just a name.

-The main plot is solid. There are arcs, but the main goal always stays the same.

-There's a grand total of 2 power ups for characters in 600+ chapters.
They grow in power, but those 2 times it wasn't a fast upgrade. They gradually became stronger as they faced harder trials and mastered new techniques _after_ seeing other people using them (CP9, Haki, weapons skill, new technology).

The second upgrade also comes after 2 years of training so, in the story, it still makes sense.
(That alone is a clear sign that should make one rethink about a lot of other mangas.)

Long story short, Oda is a writer, and a mangaka.
A good artist could make awesome drawings, but anyone aiming for a long running story must be able to pull off some sort of long and fairly simple story, else it becomes just power-ups, more enemies, more power-ups and more explosions to fill up the pages and the lack of ideas.

The other thing is he did a manga about pirates. There hasn't been exactly a lot of those around lately (then look at vampires, ninjas, demons, sometimes mixed together in the same manga).

Edit: got rid of some typos and a lot of messed up lines, most probably I was sleepy while writing XD

Edited by Darkwings, 14 January 2012 - 02:03 PM.

GodOfAll

GodOfAll

Potato

• Members
  • 139 posts
yeah, if you noticed, oda's art actually isn't that good, but OP managed to nab no.1 in japan, so he must be one heck of a writer. But don't you just feel that he is rushing FI arc? Just curious but kubo makes the MC gain power then lose it only to gain more to lose it. Don't you find it stupid? Naruto is worst... Naruto is gain power, chase friend, gain power, continue chasing friend, gain power, fight war to chase friend... wtf.
I am god.

turtlejake

turtlejake

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
Personally, One Piece is a "bible" for me and a friend of mine. Not religious in any sense, but a guide for how to live a life. Oda made a story where, unlike most, right and wrong plays no part. If it did, the World Government would not be the bad guy. One Piece shows you can obtain that freedom everyone yearns for if you just want it bad enough. The stories go deep, paralleling with history in our reality (missing periods of human civilizations, corrupted governments, using names of pirates that actually existed, the chosen few reserving the right to enslave anyone and get away with it (big business, that whole 99%-stock-market issue)). Not to mention One Piece is the only manga I've read that includes a variety of animal and flora species (most series you only see a handful of animals outside the main characters). There are so many side stories in the main one, that it often feels like there is no main story outside what Luffy does chapter-to-chapter (mystery of the lost century, what the D. in the names mean, Luffy returning the hat to Shanks, etc.) I mean, the guy made not just a manga, but a modern day mythology.

Its also one of the most realistic in terms of if a character looks like he's gonna die, he most likely will; Naruto and Bleach have a reputation where almost no major characters die. Many times a manga's main characters lose vital traits that give way to plot holes (Why is Naruto learning all these great techniques if he's the dumbest in the class? Why does Ichigo no longer worry about his physical body when he enters spirit form?). Luffy and crew still steal treasure, they still throw gigantic parties and get everyone wasted, they still have no care who they go up against, and they still do whatever they want to do.

So, you know, what I'm trying to say is: I like the guy. He's a storyteller writing a narrative that has very few plot holes, outstanding character consistency, and delivers tales that we all at times are envious of. This opinion does go against a lot of what Darkwings stated, but it sounds like we both dig the mangaka so its all good with me. And yeah, I did just make this account to type this one response.

Edited by turtlejake, 20 January 2012 - 05:39 AM.

GodOfAll

GodOfAll

Potato

• Members
  • 139 posts
well turtle, glad you signed up just to post this, so I shall reply :) I love one piece too. I agree oda made an incredible story that might not even be considered a story. It is almost as if placing it in jump seems stupid and it should have its own magazine. The only flaw I ever saw with one piece is that SANJI LOST TOO MUCH BLOOD! ok joke aside the flaw I see is that Dragon go to the grandline and out despite the navy only having that tec. (not only dragon but some others) But that might be due to DF or the navy underestimating the rest of the world.
I am god.

αɖα- ɕɧαɲ

αɖα- ɕɧαɲ

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  • Locationsometimes here, most of the time there.
I personally like the humour oda has. The way he construct the story is also an O.K for me. Though there are times I wish he do this and that (readers do think like that, no?) I'm pretty confident he can manage to make it interesting still. So Oda for me is a great mangaka.

GodOfAll

GodOfAll

Potato

• Members
  • 139 posts
Oda once said in an SBS (or is it an interview?) that he will never add fan service for one piece as it is I quote "inappropriate".
I am god.

Pocky

Pocky

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
I consider myself a writer. And whenever I'm stuck, or brainstorming and having a hard time coming up with unique ideas or an unexpected twist, or just want to shake the story up, I usually find myself asking: 'What would Oda Eiichirou do?'
I think that shows how much I apprieciate his works and the effort he puts into them. I really admire his story-telling.

Aedra

Aedra

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts
An inspiration. "One Piece" is a series upon which i grew from teen to an adult. First time i came across it was when i was 13 (i think), Polish Korean watching anime on MTV Germany. I did not understand a bloody word but it was so engrossing i was literally counting hours 'till the monday so i can watch. Recorded on VCR cassettes and rewatched so many times that my father got concerned about me learning German he forbid me from watching for a time. Stumbled upon the manga some year later. First time i came across such a comic (raised on Tintin). It was so fantastic/phenomenal/WAAAH! to the young me that it motivated me to study art followed by languages at an age where most teens wanted to be models or ballerinas/ski dancers. I am 24 now and i still consider it the best imagination exercise there is and keep all the cassettes and booklets (buy them online and wait for delivery even though i read it on manga-reading sites). Eiichiro Oda's works brought so much joy and color to my life that really and i mean really there is nothing i can compare it with. Sure there are/were more artistic and deeper works than it, but not one of them will ever motivate a person to play/pretend she is a rubber pirate :D.

ki11u4

ki11u4

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

i was very heartbroken when i heard that that the 2yr time-skip was only the halfway point for one piece. but i guess it's natural when you have a cash cow like op bring in the dough you want to milk it for all it's worth.

Ahem... I agree, that all these mainstream mangas seem - and often actually are - stretched.
However, concerning this halfway-point of One Piece, in my POV, it doesn't apply at all.
They just reached the redline that marks the end of the first half of the grand line and the beginning of the second.
It's only natural One Piece would last for another 600 chapters or so, since their journey is only half over.
For me, these news were happy news. :3

Just my two cents. :P

The-Wandering-Dragon

The-Wandering-Dragon

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 16 posts
Eichiro Oda is one of those writers that inspires people (myself included). He has not only created characters but an entire world of his own that often parallels our own. Oda often makes us question our own reality by mirroring our world and the One Piece world. But in my opinion the best thing about his work is that he shows that life is a matter of perspective. Logic is great and all but sometimes the most difficult questions can have simple answers (and vice-versa) depending on who answers the question. There are a lot of problems with the manga (most of mine involve the execution of skypeia arc and the events on long ring long run)

Of course his manga is fairly long right now (when mangas like detective conan and hajime no ippo exist I refuse to call One Piece "very long" for the time being) which leads a lot of people to the assumption that it is quantity and not quality or that he is dragging the story on. The two major reasons why I believe the story is not elongated and that his story at this point in time is still a great work are:

1. The story flows very naturally between each arc i.e. there are few plot-holes meaning the story is consistent.

2.One Piece remains the most "thorough" and "descriptive" manga I have read. Oda makes a point of making his story as clear cut as possible without losing the mystery that keeps us reading. Which leads it to take longer to wrap up his arcs as each character, their background, thoughts and ambitions are displayed as fully as Oda deems fit meaning we gain more information at the price of a longer manga.

No manga I have read that has 300+ chapters has as much information in it as One Piece. Everyone is free to disagree with me of course.

Lastly, thanks for reading guys and no matter how long it lasts or our opinion I hope we can all enjoy this manga to the end!

rensei

rensei

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLondon
well i think you shouldn't say that about naruto because it does what it says on the tin which is a boy who not accepted by his village strives to become hokage and if think about it goes with how the story progress but anyway oda sensei is really good i like how he writes and his ability aas a mangaka are awesome i like how the character growth is and the depth emotiobn especially when ace dies and luffy starts to cry i will admit this i kinda cried.

Naruto and Bleach have a reputation where almost no major characters die. Many times a manga's main characters lose vital traits that give way to plot holes (Why is Naruto learning all these great techniques if he's the dumbest in the class? Why does Ichigo no longer worry about his physical body when he enters spirit form?). Luffy and crew still steal treasure, they still throw gigantic parties and get everyone wasted, they still have no care who they go up against, and they still do whatever they want to do.

i think u seem to forget in naruto he is able to do these great techniques because of his own chakra and kurama's chakra( as he is known now (9 tails)) which is so vast so due to these 2 opposing chakras he isn't able to do simple techs, for bleach he disregards his physical body because of the mod soul that inhabits his physical body when he leaves his body.

yeah, if you noticed, oda's art actually isn't that good, but OP managed to nab no.1 in japan, so he must be one heck of a writer. But don't you just feel that he is rushing FI arc? Just curious but kubo makes the MC gain power then lose it only to gain more to lose it. Don't you find it stupid? Naruto is worst... Naruto is gain power, chase friend, gain power, continue chasing friend, gain power, fight war to chase friend... wtf.

i think you my friend are plain biased because naruto's power is what is there that is his own vast amount of chakra and the kyuubi's and the fact that he like his mentor learnt the sage arts which allows him to be powerful

Ouroboros

Ouroboros

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
One Piece to me is one of the most heart warming and fun manga I've ever read. Luffy's personal beliefs of 'living your life without regret' and his willingness to do ANYTHING for the sake of his nakama are truly to be admired. The rest of the crew also have very likable personalities and qualities. There are times when it does get a little slow for awhile, but the contrast and pace of the manga make it seem more realistic to me. Overall the story is solid. So as far as a writer, Oda is my favorite.
Oda's art has been criticized before by people saying he gets lazy with less important characters, but who cares if you are only gonna see them in a few frames anyway. I feel like Oda's work resembles Torayama's style in Dragon Ball. If the art is easy to do then there is more time to develop the story. I've read other manga where the art is amazing but the story may not be as interesting. But I myself enjoy a variety of styles and mediums so I'm fine with the artwork the way it is.
Improvements....I enjoy the story the way it is, but there have been things I would've liked to see happen that didn't. Like in Impel Down, I would have liked Bon Clay to join the Straw Hat Crew. He is definitely worthy of being a crewmate if he survived Magellon's poison. Additionally I would like to see the people and countries that were saved by the Straw Hats to openly show their support of them, but thats just things I'd like to see.
Few manga have left me feeling genuinely happy after reading them the way One Piece does.

Sociopath Espher

Sociopath Espher

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAbove the clouds
@CodeG : his art is not that good???? have u seen all of his art at the start of some chapter??? he's both a great artist and writer...... he's is .........

My feelings ? People had already express them above........

To me .... Oda-sensei's ...... GOD

The power of thy Incesity is beyond my Retribution.

The power of thy Incesity shall be our alternative salvation! XD

Rin "Kratos" Kokonoe

(From Mangafox's Forum)

Me gusta

Melisandre

Melisandre

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationQueen's Landing
Like -Rukio Okumura- said-He really GOD ,he created amazing world with stunning plot and characters (every character in OP have special personality) .
He's art is very good too ,I don't find it bad at all.

"Power is a curious thing...Three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man. Between them stands a common sellsword. Each great man bids the sellsword kill the other two. Who lives, who dies? Power resides where men believe it resides; it's a trick, a shadow on the wall, and a very small man can cast a very large shadow."―Varys (Game of Thrones)

pandaqueen

pandaqueen

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
MANGA GOD IS RIGHT

OP is the one manga that has it all!

Story -> It is the one manga where you can laugh til your tummy hurt and cry til you bawl your eyes over, impossible if you are not a master storyteller like Odacchi.
Art -> you guys say the art sucks? Think again. Which other manga with 300+ chapters has such ... extensively crowded background and frames? Compare it to some other mangas coughnarutocough that could use up one whole page for one whole frame of a face close-up (which does not help to explain the story in anyway), REPEATEDLY, or even WHITE EMPTY background, I'd rather have Odacchi's cram-as-many-characters-things-items-effects-and-text-as-possible-in-one-frame style of art.
Representation -> you guys really need to check his frame placement and layout, it really helps bring his story across, which elevates his awesomeness as master storyteller to another level (godlevel????)
Continuity -> rarely do i feel plot holes in the story unlike in many other long running manga (Dragon Ball included), and the whole storyline make sense as one great plot!

Ok i think i am enough of a fangirl for a night~