Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

How long until an inactive groups policies because null?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

grumpy once said, that if a group said no to hosting their scans and then they closed it will stay as no.

Correct.

If that's the group policy it would work. But why would they allow rehosting after they close when they didn't want it while they were active?

berubetto

berubetto

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA
I've seen groups change their minds pro and con hosting here and otherwise. I've also seen groups who want more traffic at their sites who originally wanted to let people rehost but then, well, got lonely at the lack of feedback on their site. You also see groups posting, "We're not dead yet!" and then the site is taken down years later.

My idea is to offer *the groups* more flexibility. If their reason for not allowing rehosting is they want more activity on their own site, well, if real life happens to get in the way of their group's existence, then along with their site or whatever else lapsing they've preserved their work for future fans on a respectful site, not just the disrespectful ones.

If Batoto doesn't offer such an option, then groups are much less likely to consider it.

Anyway, just an idea. To be clear, I was not suggesting something Batoto would impose, because that's not what Batoto does. It would just be offered, even just passively.

I'm chronically ill, btw, and probably I won't be able to get back to this thread, so either way, thanks for all your hard work!

Edited by berubetto, 04 March 2013 - 01:43 AM.

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong
if a group is disbanded, and their website is down so chapters are no longer available, but you have downloaded chapters, would it be alright even if they've stated "do not upload" only on batoto, and there are no chapters available anywhere else on the net? there has to be a certain time limit for upload policies for inactive policies... policies may last forever, but batoto won't.

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

if a group is disbanded, and their website is down so chapters are no longer available, but you have downloaded chapters, would it be alright even if they've stated "do not upload" only on batoto, and there are no chapters available anywhere else on the net? there has to be a certain time limit for upload policies for inactive policies... policies may last forever, but batoto won't.

If we confirmed a policy we won't go against it. As Grumpy put it before we have a lot of "sucks-for-us" policies.

But we can't just decide "Oh, you are inactive? We are just going to ignore your policy now." We do thrive to deserve the trust put in us and that means we have to follow some thing though even if it isn't good of us. 

fishiiie

fishiiie

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 38 posts
  • LocationWhere there is cake
What if the group is disbanded and you don't know if they had a no-hosting policy? All their domains are gone too, so I can't confirm with them, but I found their download links, which are still active.
Is it still okay to upload their stuff?

Regarding Tama-Chan Scans and Manga Daisuke

Sorry if this was mentioned already.

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...

What if the group is disbanded and you don't know if they had a no-hosting policy? All their domains are gone too, so I can't confirm with them, but I found their download links, which are still active.
Is it still okay to upload their stuff?

Regarding Tama-Chan Scans and Manga Daisuke

Sorry if this was mentioned already.

As long as they have no known or existing DnA (Do not Upload) policy, their works are allowable on the site.

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!

fishiiie

fishiiie

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 38 posts
  • LocationWhere there is cake

As long as they have no known or existing DnA (Do not Upload) policy, their works are allowable on the site.

Thank you for the confirmation!

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNot on your plate, hopefully

I've already said the policy.

Whether or not they're active or not is irrelevant. Their rule stands to the end of time.

Problem is that we have no way to verify something once they're long gone and we have the default rule of "allowed". If their status is confirmed as not allowed and they've disappeared or w/e, it's still not allowed.

Sorry for bump but,

as a fan, this is very whine-able position. I want to be able too see what others have seen. It sucks.

as a scanlator, however, fact that you are keeping up with your promise is very helpful. I thank you for your efforts to honor that.

and I wish everyone can see this. It may not be best, but remember, the fan-translation groups does not do this, for free or whatever, because they feel anyone deserve it. They do it because they liked doing it. Nothing more, nothing less.

just keep that in mind, if they don't want translations spread, that's it. That's not that hard, right? And if they dissolve without change of words, it simply stays.

nothing more, nothing less. Nothing changed.