Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

LPW (Last Post Wins) v5

• Please log in to reply
3101 replies to this topic

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Job security—in the strict sense of whether you'll get laid off or not—is for programmers possibly slightly worse than average; for instance a lot of times people are hired for a particular project and, while usually people still have a job if that project finishes successfully, if it tanks some companies let people go—that's probably true in other project-based industries as well but software projects are often built on thin air (especially around here, I think) and thus more likely to collapse. Companies starting up, going under, merging, buying each other, etc. also seems to happen at a higher rate in this industry and the increased volatility also means layoffs for those reasons are common (and in those cases even the most skilled workers can get let go pretty easily).

The flip-side is at the moment here it's a profession where you're sort of expected to change employers every couple years if you're ambitious (because for whatever reason, the fastest way up is sideways). While job security isn't high, career security for the moment is (that is, one is always able to find another job).

Of course, being better at your job puts you in a better situation in either case.

However it is important to note that some of what I've just said may not apply as strongly outside this valley. This is a slightly weird place, full of hopes and dreams and lies and unicorns and also, quite a lot of programmers in one place. Certainly, I would be a little surprised if everything works the same way where you are; the economics and culture probably both play out quite differently, I suspect.

As an aside, I'm a contractor, not an employee, so my job security is noticeably worse. There are some things I prefer about being a contractor over being an employee, such as the fact that any ideas in ny head I have related to the job, are not the legal property of the employer (which always creeps me out that our legal system is okay with that sort of dystopian shit, can I own my own thoughts please? I am not okay with people owning bits of me. )

(I'm sorry if this wasn't as helpful as it could be)

Edited by pokari, 26 May 2019 - 09:46 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts
Not strange at all
Intellectual property is protected on behalf of the property class

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
I didn't say it was unusual, I said it creeps me out that we're okay with (or at least not largely bothered by) it.

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts
gotta have accountability? I guess would be the reason behind it?

Also it's more likely that the 'employees' don't care (or think) that much to make it matter, and are mostly satisfied as long as they get paid

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Uh... I promise you that most of the employees I have met are in fact fully functional human beings and do care and think about stuff...

But it's true, I suppose—I've been an employee too and while it bothered me noticeably it wasn't enough to make me quit my job—which is the threshold for this mattering in capitalism terms, I suppose (it was made clear to me that that clause of employment was non-negotiable and "industry standard", which while not strictly untrue, is also absurd because the same people are fine having me as a contractor without that clause? But then, logic and reasoning were never my boss's strong points)—and most people care less about this matter than I do.

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts
I meant think as in, think about thoughts and being controlled

Since generally nobody has time to read all of the fine text while signing up

and of course money as you explained

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
...I would never agree to be an employee without reading all the paperwork o.o;; That's just asking for trouble. Unlike EULAs and the like, stuff in work contracts is reasonably likely to come up and get enforced when something goes wrong...

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts
sorry

i just never think that things can go so wrong that documents have to be involved in the consequences

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

wut like your bosses would try to make you do work that's not in your contract? nuuuuuu

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

so poki any news?

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Well, as of an hour ago I've been told the entire team I was working with was laid off, apparently, so presumably the project I was working on is deceased and I'm out of a job.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts
Sucks for you and your team
But it’s not really the end of the world since you’ve got no mortgage no kids etc
Imagine the people with kids damn
They’d be like I need to put food on the table nao

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
This is true. I mean, there's always someone worse off than ourselves, but in my case the worst I'm going through is existential panic, uncertainty, and irrational trauma to my ego, as I sit here in more or less absolute safety in my parents house, and with a year's worth of savings...

I'm still feeling fairly cruddy, though. I feel like I'm allowed that much in this situation.

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

Yeah man it's okay to feel bad when bad things happen

I know these days it can seem as if no problem is big enough to get upset about for a 'true professional', but there's really no point in not letting it out when you can

Stay at home and enjoy hugs

Edited by penrosecat, 30 May 2019 - 04:44 AM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Stay at home and enjoy hugs

I have followed this excellent advice. ^^

*hugs*

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Hmm a true professional... a true professional feels all those things but just finds a way to push those feelings aside. I think that's how Jung overcame his neurosis

Last night I had a weird dream where I was apparently consulting for a company that wanted to put chips into their camera to record everything. So I asked them have they considered a brocade system that uses a centralized "orchestrator" which apparently taps into the sub-cameras and directly loads the videos into the cloud. (I woke up this morning and did research and behold, brocade does make switches that tap directly into surveillance cameras)

IP Surveillance Cameras IP surveillance technology provides digital streaming of video over Ethernet, providing real-time, remote access to video feeds from cameras. Surveillance cameras are often installed in locations where power receptacles are not accessible or cannot be installed. Running data communication and power over a single Ethernet cable provides the flexibility to optimize the surveillance network. Any surveillance camera that is IEEE standard compliant, can be powered up with Brocade PoE switches.

I think my dream was inspired by the recent trade wars targeting chinese surveillance equipment makers (eg https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/27/china-mass-surveillance-state-technology-at-center.html) and their AI facial recognition system combined with social credit system. Put one and one together and we've got ourselves a nice Sybil system (psycho-pass reference).

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
I mean, it would I suppose be almost more surprising if they did not have such a service. Or maybe not, I'm not sure. The way it is phrased in your dream sounds much more ominous, of course.

Hmm a true professional... a true professional feels all those things but just finds a way to push those feelings aside. I think that's how Jung overcame his neurosis

Hmm... A professional in our society is expected to keep personal matters from interfering with work—that is, to deal with them in non-work hours and places—and to seek leave and/or professional help (e.g. a therapist), depending on the situation, when that is not possible.

There's plenty of issues with that paradigm, certainly, but even in the most deadened corporate environments I'm aware of, "pushing feelings aside" is theoretically supposed to be until the end of the work day, not a general or long-term coping strategy?

Regardless, it's irrelevant to me right now—unless someone tells me the project is back on after all, I have no-one to be professional towards so it's a moot point. :'p

Edited by pokari, 31 May 2019 - 05:13 AM.

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

You ever wanna be that guy from manga who doesn't really seem to do anything most of the time but when the superhero moment comes he suddenly has a 'cool look' and tremendous skill, so everyone's expectations are exceeded and everyone feels like a superhero descended on the planet?

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
You mean specifically, having that gap moe (? except maybe not moe per se) between being unremarkable and then being suddenly awesome when the correct situation arises?

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

I don't know why this is attractive to people - i have yet to meet this kind of guy in real life. the closest i can come is the overachiever who actually works super hard, but just acts like it doesnt mean much, i appreciate this kind of guy for his hard work anyway

Is it confusing the happiness from exceeding expectations or does the character just generally have a good face which gets even better when he looks serious...i strongly believe it is the latter

On the other hand, there is a nice dilemma in that if you do nothing and work only when it counts, you'll get abused all the time, and if you work hard all the time, you'll get overused and insulted for not caring about yourself aaaahh what should one do..? [not really]

Edited by penrosecat, 06 June 2019 - 07:04 AM.