Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

LPW (Last Post Wins) v5

• Please log in to reply
2722 replies to this topic

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts
Speaking of self-betrayal, I can't sleep. Why l, body, why T-T

Next time you betray yourself, come to me and I'll give you a hug. uwu

Feishy Pit Boar

Feishy Pit Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

self betrayal is an oxymoron 

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts
How so?

A betrayal is a violation of a trust or promise; you can trust yourself or make promises to yourself, and you can violate that trust or promise. (Though completely violating your trust in yourself would seem to be a pretty wretched place to be—though it certainly happens, usually involving addiction or similar—violating promises made to oneself would be the much more common case).

Arguably, since we're just messy neural networks, this could be as simple as nueral subnet A reaching a different conclusion from neural subnet B; i.e. that just because you're one person does not mean you are of one mind on a topic (literally).

Alternatively the same grey matter might react differently at a different time, possibly with different stimuli, creating dischord between the decisions made at times A' and B'.

My point is, humans are not fully consistent rational agents; of course they can betray themselves.