Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

vatoto.com is up

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: vatoto.com is up (261 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one sounds better?

1. Voted bato.to (185 votes [70.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.88%

2. Voted vatoto.com (76 votes [29.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

ROTFLMAOMAGNETS

ROTFLMAOMAGNETS

Robot Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 767 posts

... and bato.to is dead.

Discuss/praise/despair/complain/whatever.

Continuation of the closing down thread.

----

Comic page on vatoto is temporary disabled to discourage any further scraping. The forum is hosted on a very small server and wouldn't be able to handle further scraping. Please don't do it even when/if it does come back up.

Automatic redirect from bato.to to vatoto.com is not in place also to discourage automatic access.

The migration to vatoto may have caused an hour or two of rollback in data

Content search / new posts feed seem to be dead for now too.

zetsuravez

zetsuravez

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Locationphilippi- nevermind...

i tried using the export of my followed manga(using format simple/HTML) and the only thing that pops out is gibberish letters...

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Cool,  thanks for the heads-up :)

And I voted for "vatoto.com" because, well, it seems to be up 'n running and "bato.to" seems to be dead and decaying in a hastily dug shallow grave :D

(though I do wish I had a clue how to make the dark theme (script) I've been using work here......maybe I'll try to piddle with it later, though I'm pretty useless on that kind of thing >_<)

extra p.s. - heh, figured it out, damned good thing it was just a matter of filling in the blanks :D

Edited by svines85, 24 January 2018 - 04:52 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

Marduk

Marduk

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 605 posts

Um, on a kinda unrelated topic, ToG threads are down...

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

Um, on a kinda unrelated topic, ToG threads are down...

they fine tho?

https://vatoto.com/forums/forum/91-tower-of-god/

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Yeah, I got a few errors when I first started trying to navigate around, but they've all seemed to clear up, all seems well as far as the actual forums/comic threads and any other user info/forum related type stuff as far as I can tell.

An added bonus is the "new content" button is working again, I hadn't been able to get through on that in it seems like a month :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Ishin Hazue

Ishin Hazue

Potato Spud

• VisTrans
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Finally, the good times are gone

dark age approaching

on the other hand, I recall Grumpy mentioned that the forum will be running for an extended period, I sure hope the forum run for a looooooooooong time since the community is what I love the most

Harujuku moment is crucial to me

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

...I thought the joke was that "Batoto" and "Vatoto" are spelled/sound the same, unless you use really obscure kana/sounds for foreign languages.

Either way it's 「バトト」。

blue.monday

blue.monday

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts

RIP Batoto

At least the forum is safe (for now).

-fail

-acquire experience

-use experience to improve behaviour

-succeed
---------------------------------------------------
"The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to such a pass that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love, and in order to occupy and distract himself without love he gives way to passions and coarse pleasures, and sinks to bestiality in his vices, all from continual lying to other men and to himself."  --  Fyodor Dostoyevsky

science hasn't gone far enough  I  Wat zullen we drinken

Caul

Caul

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

... and bato.to is dead.

Batoto is dead, Long live Batoto!

xflarex

xflarex

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Ahh, much better, my world is coming back to normal, or what passes for normal in my life

kaizer_emperor

kaizer_emperor

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts
T_T can i cry now, Rest In Peace Batoto your dedication to manga culture will not forgotten and forever will be miss.

Boing Boing Erina

tumblr_nmmbo8kZCa1u5wu57o1_500.gif

omnipwnage

omnipwnage

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

It's August, 2010. I'm watching anime at a friend's house, and he asks if I've read any good manga lately. I hadn't, as I was unaware of how much easier it was to find manga online. I had previously been using baka-updates to keep up with anime since about 2005, but had seldom used their sister site, baka-updates manga. The only other manga I had read online at that point was Berserk and Homunculus (from the now defunct Band of the Hawks.) I was then whisked away to a crap ton of different genres, art styles, plots, and communities that I had no idea even existed up to that point. I spent a ton of time and gathered a bunch of different sites into a favorites folder, and went to each site almost daily to be aware of updates and delays. It got to the point where I didn't add any newer series to my list because I didn't want my favorites to explode any more than it already had.

This was when I started seeing a lot more of the advertisements from groups I was reading saying to read (at their website url) and Batoto. 1 or 2 groups is one thing, but I was seeing 10-20 of the groups advertising this. In fact, one of the scans I was reading was so popular, he could no longer support reading on his site and started using batoto exclusively (for reliability.) I started reading almost everything through batoto at that point. Mainly, because my HD burned and I lost all of my favorites. I could recover about 40% through my own memory, but it took some time before I could get everything back.

I will never forget this site, and it saddens me to see it go. It saddens me that so much of the community is disappearing because of less fair, and even criminal aggregate sites.  But, I understand. As someone that has had to get up at 3:48 am because a server crashed, and you're the closest person to the server site to force a reboot, it's soul crushing. I applaud, in fact, Grumpy and the rest of the team for doing this for so long, and for so little in comparison to some of the other aggregate sites. However, it's still sad. It's sad when a group you enjoy reading disbands, when a translator moves on, and when something loved and cherished in your community shuts down. Batoto will be missed, but it's missed because we love it. Because it made an impact in our lives.

Thank you. For everything.

da_panda

da_panda

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I will never forget this site, and it saddens me to see it go. It saddens me that so much of the community is disappearing because of less fair, and even criminal aggregate sites.  But, I understand. As someone that has had to get up at 3:48 am because a server crashed, and you're the closest person to the server site to force a reboot, it's soul crushing. I applaud, in fact, Grumpy and the rest of the team for doing this for so long, and for so little in comparison to some of the other aggregate sites. However, it's still sad. It's sad when a group you enjoy reading disbands, when a translator moves on, and when something loved and cherished in your community shuts down. Batoto will be missed, but it's missed because we love it. Because it made an impact in our lives.

Thank you. For everything.

I couldn't have said it as well as Russet has. Thank you for everything!

ZdrytchX

ZdrytchX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 40 posts

I've always wondered, wtf does バトト / ばとと even mean?, if anything at all?

TheFunkyMonkey

TheFunkyMonkey

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

p.s. I ate all your cookies.

He eated all my cookies. :(

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

I've always wondered, wtf does バトト / ばとと even mean?, if anything at all?

Nothing. Just something I thought sounded nice.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Nothing. Just something I thought sounded nice.

Finally, the truth comes out... (Except I think I knew this before.) It seems like a sort of playful sort of sound, I've always been fond of it.

I also have always liked that it was completely incidentally a few letter mutations away from both English "potato" and (as pointed out in some thread of yore) from several latin-based languages' "batata" (sweet potato, usually).

Phyrexian

Phyrexian

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Don´t cry because it´s over. Smile because it happened.

-Dr. Seuss

lalamichan19

lalamichan19

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Okay vatoto is okay but i cant rly easily say "V"atoto rather than "B"atoto bc of retainers i still havent gotten used to it

so is this still the same? like, mangas, comics, and other reading stuffs?