Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Retaining old accounts on the new forum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

sjoe

sjoe

Potato

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock.
This thread is, in some sense, requesting for the opposite of the Master account deletion thread, on a case-by-case basis. It has been indicated that Grumpy will be purging all accounts, and all user data (which I presume also includes forum stuff like posts and PMs) will be lost. However, at the same time, it seems like the forums themselves aren't going to be completely nuked, but merely shifted to a different domain. So I have a couple of questions:
1. Will the existing forum-related public data (existing topics, posts, status updates) be retained on the new forum (possibly with all user data nuked, so everyone will show up as Guest_xyz), or are we going to start afresh?
2. If some part of this forum is going to be retained, I would like my account not to be nuked. I have good memories, conversations and posts associated with my account which I would like to retain. Will this be possible (perhaps on a case-by-case basis)?

Edited by sjoe, 20 January 2018 - 12:36 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Grumpy's post says "migrate" the forums (the update they made to their initial post on 1/18 is what I'm referring to), so yeah, I'm assuming everything will be retained.

Tn7HA0h.png

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

I seem to recall part of the original announcement was... let's see...

I understand that our forum is a valuable form of communication for many. Because of that, I will be keeping the forums running for an extended period of time, date of which is not yet decided.

...which means that we'll probably get more information about when/how the forums are going down later? (Aside from potentially migrating to vatoto.com in the meantime, that is).

I think it's safe to assume accounts will be sanitized whenever the forums go down in their entirety, whenever that is. Certainly, not right now.

(I know I've considered writing a crude scraper to grab all my comments from all the comics on the site, which I assume are likely to disappear on the 25th. I decided not to, because I didn't want to burden troubled servers and also because it seemed like maybe an unhealthily unwilling-to-let-go sort of thought.)

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

So yeah, I don't know about anybody else, but everything seems to have been migrated over intact from the old site (forums wise), I've still got my profile page, pm's records, notices records, blah blah blah.

Just thought I'd mention it :)

Tn7HA0h.png

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

To be honest, I'm not sure where I stand myself on this matter.

Initially, I decided to nuke everything. Which is why I even told other admins to not bother with acct deletions anymore.

But some people managed to convince me to at least keep the forums up. So, it's here right now. Plus, I think I have difficulty letting things go as well.

If keeping Batoto as a whole was like managing a fleet of dozen cars, managing forums is still like managing 1 car. Surely, there's lot less I need to do. And I can do it with less vigor or need for urgency to fix issues. No one's going to be hammering our servers for content. It's tiny effort compared to before, but still effort. Keeping forums up costs too, again, tiny amount now compared to before (~$50/mo now) and I don't really intend to spend money forever on something people may not be too interested in.

So, it's up now. But if there's of high value to you, you should make a copy of it for yourself.

sjoe

sjoe

Potato

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock.

Initially, I decided to nuke everything. Which is why I even told other admins to not bother with acct deletions anymore.

This (also mentioned by Trebor) is what made me think all accounts were going to be nuked; and it only got more confusing because the forums were going to be shifted and not killed.

If keeping Batoto as a whole was like managing a fleet of dozen cars, managing forums is still like managing 1 car. Surely, there's lot less I need to do. And I can do it with less vigor or need for urgency to fix issues. No one's going to be hammering our servers for content. It's tiny effort compared to before, but still effort. Keeping forums up costs too, again, tiny amount now compared to before (~$50/mo now) and I don't really intend to spend money forever on something people may not be too interested in.

So, it's up now. But if there's of high value to you, you should make a copy of it for yourself.

Thank you for the answer, and for all your work in making this place what it is!