Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles

New manga site like bato.to

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

I'm a Scanlator Now?!

I'm a Scanlator Now?!

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Don't worry, I'm sure the Cartelâ„¢ is cooking something up right now

Steef435

Steef435

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

I'm thinking in the same direction as @macmccoy here. No idea what a site like batoto looks like from a legal standpoint but I can imagine it's bad enough to shy away from hosting something like it. Maybe a more decentralized approach will work out better, with scanlators self-hosting (which a lot of them seem to do already) while adhering to a certain protocol. Would be scraper's heaven as well though.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Don't worry, I'm sure the Cartelâ„¢ is cooking something up right now

Ok, can someone explain this joke to me? I know 4chan has some weird ongoing meme about cartels but I could never figure out what even the joke was (and looking too deep into anything from there is beyond my comfort zone).

Edited by pokari, 14 January 2018 - 10:30 PM.

James20

James20

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Popping in to say this is where I moved my favorites list to as well. It feels like a scraper site but it works okay. Only problem with the app is it has some really awful beeper ads, but turning the volume for the app off removed that issue. Works okay from what I can tell, though it's no Bato.to.

Yeah, I've done the same, since it seems like the most convenient place to get notifications.  I've also ported my list to MangaUpdates, since that seems like it's not going anywhere. And I've installed Foxy Manga Reader for Firefox (https://github.com/enakada/foxy-manga-reader) which monitors different sites and seems to be regularly updated.

I'm still concerned though for a lot of the no-group scanlators,  I had a couple of them in my follows and it looks like they my go down with batoto.

SushiAddiction

SushiAddiction

Potato

• Members
  • 111 posts

I'm still concerned though for a lot of the no-group scanlators,  I had a couple of them in my follows and it looks like they my go down with batoto.

If mangaupdates allowed ghostbin sites or something similar, it wouldn't be a problem.

scanlators need a site for MU. NoGroup and other scanlators without a site or irc are allowed with a batoto link.

See what happens.

Edited by SushiAddiction, 15 January 2018 - 10:22 AM.

Can't get enough Isekai? Check out the Isekai list for every manga on batoto. Follow for updates.

fjlurp

fjlurp

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Hi all,

I would suggest a decentralised or semi decentralised alternative.

We could use a basis like HakuNecko as a client but extend it so that it becomes scanlation-group-friendly.

There could be a database API that references the groups, relases etc but also viewcounts and best list. We could dev a framework for scanlators (basically a few template admin pages that allow to upload your scans and communicate data to the referencing DB).

We could allow different people to host stuff on their own (s3, drive, dropbox, homeserver whatnot, building bridges for those is doable) so that we don't have to worry about good project vanishing because a centralised host died.

The client could implement views of some scanlator announcements and messages, their donation/patreon account. We could bundle a few features with encryption.

In the long run we could decentralise the referencing DB (even blockchain it).

Of course this would be scraper's paradise but hey it's not much better with the browser. I don't think there really is anything effective against that except asking nicely the readers to not go there.

Shinobu

Shinobu

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

Ok, can someone explain this joke to me? I know 4chan has some weird ongoing meme about cartels but I could never figure out what even the joke was (and looking too deep into anything from there is beyond my comfort zone).

Don't bother looking it up. Its a tin-foil hat tier meme

Edited by Shinobu, 15 January 2018 - 07:01 PM.

Giantess

Giantess

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 417 posts
  • LocationOn top!

While not a manga hosting site, I recommend uploading your bookmarks here to https://www.mangaupdates.com.  You can do so easily - download as a CSV, open in a CSV reader, grab the column with the titles and copy it.  Then go to the Baka-Updates list editing page, choose "add series", hit the "add bulk" button, paste them into the box that appears, and hit "Add Bulk" again.

Note that a few might error out due to differences in the name, in which case you'll have to add them manually.  It will tell you the ones it failed to parse.

Edited by Giantess, 16 January 2018 - 01:19 AM.

Hologfx

Hologfx

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

I'm in the process of coding a successor to batoto. Most of the essential functions have been completed. I expect to announce the site before the 18th!

Metallix

Metallix

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

The technical portions of a replicating bato.to are within the skillset of many developers, I like to think (I have several years experience, so I might be overestimating skill levels here). The bigger problems are nontechnical:

- DMCA form letters

- Cease and Desist orders from lawyers.

- The occasional lawsuit.

- Having to sort through server hosts to find one who won't fold at the first whiff of a legal problem.

You realize you can just host in a country like New Zealand and avoid all of that right?

madmccoy

madmccoy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

You realize you can just host in a country like New Zealand and avoid all of that right?

That only solves one problem. I live in the US, and regardless of where the server is the person running the company or website in question will get targeted (or, at least in my case, that's what happens). Nuisance suits are a pain but I (and I assume others in the US) can't afford to ignore them. I'd be interested in hearing about what legal ways exist to mitigate those issues, though.

EDIT: due to the site I was running, it's possible that its contents made me a higher profile target than normal, in which cases... I guess New Zealand can work for a lot of people.

Edited by madmccoy, 16 January 2018 - 04:13 AM.

Manga_Man 420

Manga_Man 420

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

I'm in the process of coding a successor to batoto. Most of the essential functions have been completed. I expect to announce the site before the 18th!

2.5 days and counting...  :mellow:

Metallix

Metallix

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

That only solves one problem. I live in the US, and regardless of where the server is the person running the company or website in question will get targeted (or, at least in my case, that's what happens). Nuisance suits are a pain but I (and I assume others in the US) can't afford to ignore them. I'd be interested in hearing about what legal ways exist to mitigate those issues, though.

EDIT: due to the site I was running, it's possible that its contents made me a higher profile target than normal, in which cases... I guess New Zealand can work for a lot of people.

Actually it solves 3 out of 4, at least in concerns to anime and manga.

And nuisance lawsuits are illegal.

Bazzaray

Bazzaray

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Nope nz worse place to do it read up on the law here, most famous one is Kim Dotcom yes he broke our copy right laws. They have pretty strict laws with hosting in nz. They are more relaxed on viewing content but are starting to move to make that harder too.

Stark700

Stark700

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAnime World

Mangupdates is the closest site that I know that keeps a list of manga with the scanalation groups, chapter #s, etc. I've kept a list there a few years before and it's useful but not nearly as good as Batoto.

Also, I recall a way to click on links to their official sites awhile ago on MU. Does anyone remember the way to get the hyperlinks?

SushiAddiction

SushiAddiction

Potato

• Members
  • 111 posts

Mangupdates is the closest site that I know that keeps a list of manga with the scanalation groups, chapter #s, etc. I've kept a list there a few years before and it's useful but not nearly as good as Batoto.

Also, I recall a way to click on links to their official sites awhile ago on MU. Does anyone remember the way to get the hyperlinks?

https://github.com/loadletter/mangaupdates-urlfix

I posted this too https://vatoto.com/forums/topic/28921-to-all-scanlators-without-a-web-site/

I also have a list of all scanlators on batoto

People don't realise that a large chunk of the sites out there scraped bototo for content and many sites will collapse with trying to get new chapters without batoto.

Without scanlators updating their sites, if they don't have one, many groups are going to be unfindable

YES I INCREASED THE FONT TO SHOUT> READ IT PEOPLE. IMPORTANT

Edited by SushiAddiction, 17 January 2018 - 05:32 AM.

Can't get enough Isekai? Check out the Isekai list for every manga on batoto. Follow for updates.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Without scanlators updating their sites, if they don't have one, many groups are going to be unfindable

People don't realise that a large chunk of the sites out there scraped bototo for content and many sites will collapse with trying to get new chapters without batoto.

As devastated as I am by what will be lost at Batoto's closure, I don't think there's any call to start panicking (or at least not on these counts; the community disappearing is another matter and I have been panicking/lamenting/bawling about that for days).

Scraper sites won't collapse as a general rule, a lot of them were around before Batoto and can survive just as well after. Some scanlations may fall through the cracks in the interim, which is tragic but not truly apocalyptic.

A lot of high-quality versions of scans (esp. from defunct groups) will become hard/impossible to find after Batoto collapses. Again, tragic in some cases but not world-ending.

As for groups, these will largely fall into two categories:

1) Active groups which will make themselves available somehow hereafter once they figure things out, and so for which there is no need to panic.

2) Inactive groups whose work is effectively preserved (albiet in lower quality) on other aggregator sites already, and so for which there is no need to panic.

There will be some groups who are active now who become inactive in the near future, and so for whom neither of these terms will apply (thus the above statement about things falling through the cracks), and there may be some groups that have difficulty adapting to the new paradigm and disband. Again, tragic, but not panic-worthy.

Edit: Re-reading, this may(?) come across as harsher than I intended(?). For avoidance of doubt, I'm not trying to bash what Sushi is saying, I'm trying to make sure people who aren't familiar with what's going on, don't get alarmed unnecessarily in what's already going to be a trying couple of days. More or less. I'm probably not even the best messenger since I'm not actively involved in the scanlation scene, just someone who's been lurking at the borders for a good while, long enough to have seen a couple of the paradigm transitions.

Edited by pokari, 17 January 2018 - 06:11 AM.

zemega

zemega

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

Yeah, I've done the same, since it seems like the most convenient place to get notifications.  I've also ported my list to MangaUpdates, since that seems like it's not going anywhere. And I've installed Foxy Manga Reader for Firefox (https://github.com/enakada/foxy-manga-reader) which monitors different sites and seems to be regularly updated.

How do you install it?

James20

James20

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

How do you install it?

Sorry, I thought the github would have a link.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/foxy-manga-reader/

Just click add to firefox from there.

Natureboy

Natureboy

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdeep in the forest

Some sites that used to have fun runs of series now only have the most recent dozen or so chapters. (Meanwhile citing pressure from publishers.) That's a concern for the product of defunct scanlation groups.