Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Thus, I reviewed La Magnifique Grande Scène

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Swifft

Swifft

Potato

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationHamamatsu

Review here: https://terrenceswiff.wordpress.com/2017/12/28/kenrantaru-grande-scene/

Was always looking forward to reading this in English, and EnduranceProtocol granted my wish like it was nothing. Thanks again! This series is super good, or at least I'm pretty sure it is! I am a big ballet fan so I might be biased, but the characters and their journeys are all quite compelling, and the ballet is very pretty and even sometimes exciting.

ROAR! TWIGLION!

EnduranceProtocol

EnduranceProtocol

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCanada

That was a fun read.

One thing I'd like to note about Kanade... I won't argue against her being somewhat privileged and lucky, but more than that, she makes creating and maintaining those bounds fun. Her relationships with her parents, friends, rivals, teachers and neighbours are not one-way streets. She's very engaged and mindful of them, and, if anything, naturally the most forward about them as well.

I'll extend what you said about Shouko being Shouko to everyone being their own person, and it's genuinely heartwarming to see Kanade kind of fumbling at the center of this wonderful cast she influences and is influenced by. Everyone stands to gain something in return, one way or another. And that's what I like the most about La Magnifique Grande Scène, and why, as a result, I love Kanade so much. 

Also, while I still believe the series to be rather niche, I essentially knew nothing about ballet going into it. Like you noted, many of its facets are explored alongside Kanade, and pretty naturally I think, which was very compelling to me. I put in a significant amount of time just soaking myself in ballet for the purpose of sharing the experience... and, well, I guess I developed an admiration for the art as a result. So I'd recommend it to people who are into coming of ages as well.

Swifft

Swifft

Potato

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationHamamatsu

Happy to hear it (and thanks again again)

You know, you're right about Kanade, I hadn't really considered that but she absolutely IS active in forging what bonds she has. I also like the way you put that, "Everyone stands to gain something in return, one way or another." That's absolutely true of this series. While it still has rivalries and competition and tension, ultimately many characters borrow, influence, or learn from one another. That's actually almost a secret brilliance; this aspect of the manga is never explicitly highlighted, the closest would be Shouko acknowledging that while Kanade is her rival, they're still friends and she wants to grow alongside her.

And that's fantastic to know! You really can't tell what other people are going to think about something you are honestly biased toward, and it made me unsure if my opinions were actually on the series' qualities or just the result of me being a ballet nerd. That's reassuring.

Thanks for the comment, I found it strangely enlightening.

ROAR! TWIGLION!