Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Grand Blue Chap 40...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Serupiya

Serupiya

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Grand blue, chapter 40, Subby-D Scanlations

https://i.imgur.com/ZxZrEOQ.png

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum section or whether this is breaks any rules, but I believe it's better to not to have a release at all than to have something semi-complete where a group asks for money in order to unlock the rest.

nyo_valier

nyo_valier

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

The group in question actively covers up content in the pages and demands money to be paid at their home site to read the whole chapter.

I do not believe it violates any official rules at the moment, but there should definitely be a rule against deliberately locking away content and using Batoto as an advertising ground to unlock it.

usage

usage

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

How is this even considered as a "translation"?

Moro

Moro

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Yeah, this is garbage. The chapter should be deleted.

Dijon

Dijon

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWherever there is Internet

I had no idea that they put up a paywall. This is entirely unethical. You cannot make money off someone else's work like this. Donations are one thing, but putting up a paywall is just plain wrong. Scanlating is a hobby, not a business! The moment you hijack someone else's work to try and make a profit, you are acting unforgivably. Bato.to, please delete that chapter. This is ridiculous.

CureTC

CureTC

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew York

It's a troll scanlation. I'm still surprised at the amount of people who don't realize this.

Gnah

Gnah

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 64 posts

They aren't actually asking for money. The link brings you to a different scanlation group's page, which seems to also have started working on Grand Blue. SubbyD is being "funny" again, as he has already been on the last chapter, although it was to a lesser, less scummy amount the last time. About as funny as a person with the sense of humour of a 9 year old can be.

Apart from disliking his alterations and additions to the works of the mangakas, I think it's a scummy move towards the scanlation group of FA who probably have nothing to do with SubbyD's trolling. Dragging them into this is a no-go.

Thus I'd ask the mods to shoot down the troll chapter. It's not the 1st of April.

Edited by Gnah, 11 December 2017 - 01:01 AM.

Moro

Moro

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

It's a troll scanlation. I'm still surprised at the amount of people who don't realize this.

Don't worry, we get it. It doesn't change the fact that 1) it's not funny and 2) it should be removed.

Shinou

Shinou

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

It's a troll scanlation, but I'm here to read legitimate scanlations. I'm still surprised at the amount of people who don't realize this.

Edited by Shinou, 11 December 2017 - 02:02 AM.

Dijon

Dijon

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWherever there is Internet

They aren't actually asking for money. The link brings you to a different scanlation group's page, which seems to also have started working on Grand Blue. SubbyD is being "funny" again, as he has already been on the last chapter, although it was to a lesser, less scummy amount the last time. About as funny as a person with the sense of humour of a 9 year old can be.

Apart from disliking his alterations and additions to the works of the mangakas, I think it's a scummy move towards the scanlation group of FA who probably have nothing to do with SubbyD's trolling. Dragging them into this is a no-go.

Thus I'd ask the mods to shoot down the troll chapter. It's not the 1st of April.

I'm honestly confused now. Was this all one big advertisement trying to get FA Scans negative press/donations? That's a lot of effort for a questionable reason. I wish I actually followed the link before posting earlier because I would've changed the tenor of my comment if I had known that he really had been trolling and not trying to make money.

Still, what is ugly is ugly, and Subby's work is damn ugly. I doubt the Bato.to admins, despite how utterly authoritarian they are with the comments section, will delete a chapter of manga. Which seems hypocritical, but whatever...

Shampooh

Shampooh

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
Bizarrely, there appears to be nothing against troll scanlations/rewrites here (in fact there aren't any rules regarding uploads at all, just "guidelines"). If we wanted to get exceptionally literal (and a bit vindictive) you could report the chapter at face value for attempting to profit off the original work anyway, I guess. Though that'd need an actual reporting infrastructure to begin with, wouldn't it? Ugh.

In any case, if anyone can direct me to an accurate script, I'd be happy to give ch 40 a quick but clean, and most importantly complete, release.

Edited by Shampooh, 11 December 2017 - 05:34 AM.

Gnah

Gnah

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 64 posts

I'm honestly confused now. Was this all one big advertisement trying to get FA Scans negative press/donations?

That's at least how it seems to me, looking at the information given.

Still, what is ugly is ugly, and Subby's work is damn ugly. I doubt the Bato.to admins, despite how utterly authoritarian they are with the comments section, will delete a chapter of manga. Which seems hypocritical, but whatever...

Looking at what that chapter is worth with a bunch of pages in the middle of the chapter effectively taken out for the stupid trolling, it should be, though. Especially because it happens at the expense of a third, uninvolved party, which is made to look as if it was trying to profit from this stupid scheme.

Edited by Gnah, 11 December 2017 - 05:54 AM.

reivatin

reivatin

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

as happened in grand blue manga section
https://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/grand-blue-r16313

about chp 40, my assumption are

while they trolling (My assumption) about net neutrality

they make a post on the page which lead to misunderstanding :

1. they "offer" premium service, which most of us think this as paywall manga (which, again, maybe it's a joke) 

2. instead giving link to the trolling site, they tinyurl-ed the "subby-D" to FA scans webs, WHICH make many of us think, FA scans is affiliate to subby-D and asking donation or the one behind paywall ((not all of GB manga fans know subby-D is troll scan)

3. While it's good to disable comment section for a while, since yeah... only about 10% or less of the said comment (if opened) are constructive critics, another s just bashing word, it's better to tag the said ch 40 as incomplete/joke trans after the title name, most reader read it as legitimate translation, and feel angry, which can lead they to bashing FA scans as affiliate to subby-D (see point 2) in their forum (well  hope this wont happen), mostly happen to non user of batoto which just daily read w/o login

so I suggest to the moderator to tag or rename the chapter as incomplete/joke 
not many of the readers is avid forum reader too, so misunderstanding can happen for someone who just read latest chapter
and don't forget, many manga reader taking the chapter directly in batoto to their own host (you know what they are), and of course they will be no explanation there, and they have their own fans (sadly)

Gnah

Gnah

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 64 posts

What I'd love to know is: Who the heck accepted this chapter in the first place. Who looked at the bullshit that transpired from pg 22 onwards and thought "Oh yeah I gotta release that stuff to the public."? Subby (rightfully) has no contributor status, so someone else had to accept this crap into the library.

reivatin

reivatin

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

yeah 2 things 
1. who accept this to be in chapter title
2. who turn off the comment section

both of it seems need a quite privilege to do both
and i assume, he/she who do point 1 and point 2 together, really want to troll the community, really not just an accident post etc

he knew posting the chapter will make many bashing and negative comment, and so the comment section is turn off

FA scans, also, get negative suspicion, because the link subby D used land in their website,

Wasted

Wasted

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 18 posts

Seems pretty clear to me that the locking content away was a troll response to the criticism he received for chapter 39. He even mentions CureTc by name who made a comment about the scan's quality.

http://vatoto.com/reader#16dc05fba91da073_38

Their response to criticism was to make the manga even more unreadable on purpose knowing that it would provoke this kind of reaction. Like CureTc has mentioned already Subby-D does not upload often and does not work with other groups. It is likely the only thing they get out of uploading scans is posting meme jokes and provoking people who read the manga.

The link to FA scans is probably just a comment on the fact FA is still going to be busy on ch.40 for a long time. Kind like he's saying 'well if I'm so bad then why was I able to get this scan out before FA?'. Personally I'd rather read a well translated, cancer free scan.

I also really hope that people can rub enough brain cells together to realize that it's a joke and don't try donate in hopes of "unlocking the manga". It's not going to happen. Donate to FA if you want but don't do it expecting to receive the unlocked manga.

I don't particularly mind the odd t/l note or joke in the margins or credits page which edits an earlier page that appeared in the manga (though Grand Blue is funny enough that it hardly needs any additions. Distractions just detract from a gag manga at the top of it's game if you ask me). Can be funny or cringy, but what matters is that it doesn't impact the experience or reading the manga. This is different than what happened with Rapeman scans whether they were dmca'd or not. The comments here aren't degenerating into a political shouting match, just criticisms of the scan's quality against those defending it. It's important to let these conversations play out even if it breaks out into arguments. It may give a lot of negativity to the manga by association, but it also lets people understand exactly what is going on rather than being extremely confused when the latest chapter is full of censorship and no-one seems to be commenting on it. It isn't obvious that the comment section is locked until you scroll right down to the bottom.

tumblr_n2g8sylq3B1r1phbfo1_500.png

Wildfire

Wildfire

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

i think now the morally right decision would be for some other group to take over translating this manga and discard all submissions from stubby-d
i DO believe using bato.to to advertise yourself in this way is totally wrong, and such a "response to criticism" is childish and SHOULD NOT be ignored

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts
  • Location@ the Greenhouse Tea Party~

....Batoto have no control the infos on the  "Credit" pages one group makes... 

Batoto is neutral in Watermark/"Credit" pages aspect of the releases. Meaning unless Watermarks or credit is Harmful to members or

goes against our general rules, Not harmful like you hate the credit page cause its not to ur liking. more like racism/religious...etc..

I see no harm in that credit page. Yes, it seems that the uploader is trolling the reader ,but then again at the end he did say that it's optional...

He did censor some part of the chap..he will be from be here onwards....but Batoto have no policy againt people uploading partial 

scanlation. Meaning its not the complete chap since there's parts missing ....He did translate all the words.. 

Unless most of his translations are inaccurate or there's a lot of memes and stuff thats lacking in the translation language and it got lost in the uploader's

thoughts of puns. As I am not sure if the translations are accurate, if you guys can show us it's an improper translation...

ןן Tea Party~ ןן "THE BAR" ןן

ןןGuide to Uploading/deltin/sortin ןן

ןן[Must read] COMMENT SECTIONS RULES ן

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^
It maybe one step closer to death's door or an extension of your life's time.

Gnah

Gnah

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 64 posts

Good job missing the point completely, Ocha. This is not about the credit page. Never has been. Please look into the actual issue.

Open the link in the OP post. THAT IS NOT A CREDIT PAGE. That is an actual page in the middle of the chapter that was plastered over for the sake of trolling. An entire page, not forgotten, not mistranslated or forgotten to clean - no, just completely plastered over for nothing but trolling. On the next 3 pages, there has been partial censoring of text and pictures for the same reason. "He did translate all the words" - yeah right, and I'm the queen of Britain.

Edit: Plus the link provided on the page links to a different scanlation group which also works on Grand Blue, clearly in an attempt to discredit them by making it look as if they were the culprits behind this troll chapter. In my book, that weighs even more heavily than the infantile trolling or the bad translation quality even on the parts where he does not troll. At the very least have the decency to protect your other contributors, even if you piss on the readers like this.

Edited by Gnah, 12 December 2017 - 09:47 AM.

burntphoenix

burntphoenix

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts

Good job missing the point completely, Ocha. This is not about the credit page. Never has been. Please look into the actual issue.

Open the link in the OP post. THAT IS NOT A CREDIT PAGE. That is an actual page in the middle of the chapter that was plastered over for the sake of trolling. An entire page, not forgotten, not mistranslated or forgotten to clean - no, just completely plastered over for nothing but trolling. On the next 3 pages, there has been partial censoring of text and pictures for the same reason. "He did translate all the words" - yeah right, and I'm the queen of Britain.

Edit: Plus the link provided on the page links to a different scanlation group which also works on Grand Blue, clearly in an attempt to discredit them by making it look as if they were the culprits behind this troll chapter. In my book, that weighs even more heavily than the infantile trolling or the bad translation quality even on the parts where he does not troll. At the very least have the decency to protect your other contributors, even if you piss on the readers like this.

Gnah is right, I do not see why he even needed to say all of this. This is all things everyone who read the chapter actually knew.

It's not the credit page, it's the actual content of the chapter. It's insanely intrusive, not just a bad joke here and there. It's not an accurate translation at all, the censored stuff in this chapter is a literal point in this chapter's plot. It's completely obvious what it's censoring at first, but then it even censors the dialogue. It's completely jarring, and ruins your experience. That's not an accurate translation at all, it's literally the one argument those defending Subby-D can't win. You don't even need to have read this manga to just jump to these specific pages and realize "wait no this is NOT okay".

Seriously, I tried not going hard on Subby-D with their first Grand Blue chapter. The negative aspects of that chapter were just small, unintrusive bad jokes that you could just completely ignore. It was their first chapter for Grand Blue, they could have improved so I thought it was fine. This, however, is literally none of that. The joke is not unintrusive, it literally denies you part of the chapter and it's impact, hampering your experience and COMPLETELY ruining one of the punchlines of the chapter, all for a bad joke. Even with the constant criticism (while many were insults, there were actual constructive ones), instead of addressing their issues they decided to turn it up to 11, meaning progression is not apparently in Subby-D's mindset. 

Ocha, if you want to punish the commenters that were insulting people instead of constructively criticizing, then sure, go for it. That does not mean Subby-D's "translation" is absolutely justified, just because those against Subby-D have been acting out. I am not saying this to say I hate Subby-D, or the people defending Subby-D. I just don't think completely ignoring what many are saying just because you think a certain section of that group is being obnoxious is not even close to being the right way to handle this at all.