Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

The many many problems with the accelerated time bonus event camping arc.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Many comics and even more novels make the "real life" of their stories, game like.

And a almost puzzling (even though I suspect I know exactly why) inverse phenomenon happens where stories actually set in a game attempt to treat it like real life. It's really bad when the story is suppose to be in front of a ordinary computer playing a ordinary MMORPG, since the gap is so big.

But it's nearly as bad when they use the cop out unknown futuristic virtual reality technology concept. I don't mean some goggles and finger covers that track your movements and translate that into the game screen directly in front of your eyes. I mean some kind of, it's tapping into our brain stem in a scary way and you can feel pain, taste things etc. imaginary technology. Well they really don't get into the details of these technologies, it just conveniently works to make everything like real.  And I say nearly as bad as the regular computer one because the regular computer ones tend to remember it's suppose to be a game more, where as the cop out future tech ones  also seem to forget it's a game more and get lazy about bridging the gap.

Now Only sense online is better than many. No "death is real" shit etc. No AI's are the same as humans, it acknowledges they are just programmed devices, mostly.  Other aspects that this one remembers it's a game fairly regularly.

But the bonus event accelerated time camping arc really broke that by it's nature. How it should have been done, is just accelerate the actual world. Like in game you should be able to see the sun shadows traveling across the ground in real time. Just make everything happen faster aside from slow down for combat, and or time leaps. Like you have 20 minutes before time leaps ahead 2 hours which changes the monsters around you and anything else time related, including hunger etc.  Or possibly break the event up into bits, where people can log in during set times do part of the event, limited to no time acceleration at all.

But what it seems to have done is make the game accelerate your mind. I mean supposedly minutes will feel like hours to you during the event, and you would be experiencing and making hours worth of decisions in minutes time. This goes way beyond the typical "your brain is jacked into our system" bit. Now it's "your brain is jacked into our system and we got you on speed times 200(or whatever number)!"  When I try to think of the danger that would entail, it boggles my mind.

If this system works that well, I'm surprised it isn't used for everything, schooling for one. You could learn massive amounts of data with this accelerated mind bit. Work for another, have robots control actually physically getting things done, but be connected via accelerated mind and have the robots move at accelerated speed to match the mind. Hell, you could just live in virtual reality and have tubs connected for nutrition. I mean you could experience 200 times what you would outside of it, it would be like living 200 times longer (or whatever the number was)

But it got especially stupid when it came to sleep. My god, just skip sleep! (in the game) Are you saying the virtual reality system pumped participants full of tranquilizers to knock them out to simulate sleep, then minutes latter pumped them full of anti-tranquilizers to wake them up, all to simulate sleep?!? Well the alternative when it comes to brain jacking is even scarier, the brain jacking forcefully changes your brain into sleep mode and then back out minutes latter.

"It's just a story, it doesn't have to be all that accurate." But there was so many ways of doing this that would have avoided these issues, including simply actually having the event last days. The event could have ended during game night allowing people to log out and actually rest.  Time jumps with real time where the event isn't happening for people to do work, school, etc.  But no, the author really wanted to make it like actual camping in the game, including describing waking up in game. And the author wanted a excuse where the playing field was level with all participants where real life wouldn't cut people out. (though lots would be left out if say they couldn't log in during the relatively small window of a couple hours or whatever)  In order to describe one experience of waking up in game, to make the story seem like real camping, and in a attempt to solve one problem that wasn't that big a problem, the author created many more problems.

In short, it didn't need to be like this!

Inuzuka

Inuzuka

Potato

• Members
  • 182 posts

tl:dr

Most VRMMO have accelerated time in game, I don't know why you're singling out Only Sense Online.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Not in the ones I've read. Regardless, it was completely unnecessary and loaded with issues in Only sense online.

Edited by truepurple, 06 November 2017 - 11:17 AM.

Garnzlok

Garnzlok

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I kind of go with suspension of disbelief on these sorts of things. Could you use it for other things probably. Does that pertain to the story? no so it doesn't matter. No reason to be all nit picky on it, it's a story it's not real life.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

The concept of suspension of disbelief comes with a limiter built in.  And saying that and "it's not real" are both concepts I already covered very easily. It didn't need to be like this. And this is not a minor detail, it is not "nit picking". It makes for blurred lines of game concept and world concept of the story being told. It makes for a nonsensical world concept. It makes us forced to just ignore alot.

Eldaeb

Eldaeb

Potato Spud

• Winner!
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Faster time in subconscious state is proven, and seen in other areas (the movie inception for example) - a great use of a VR system.  And one they said they were "testing" out.  Sounds like a great tool to use for learning later, but these days a lot of new technology is pioneered in games before it's used in the real world (object recognition, VR, Gesture Recognition, AR, etc...)

So I really don't think that's out of place.  

Likewise, your brain still needs to "catch up" - it makes sense to have people sleep to simulate a camping experience (makes it more fun, how about night ambushes?  SOOOO much opportunity for fun gaming lost if suddenly it's morning again).  So if I was designing a sped up camping experience for players, sure I'd simulate sleep just for the roleplaying factor, but I suspect it may be needed to provide mental relief for the players too.

And if the event ACTUALLY lasted days (no chance to try out the new technology) you would loose a lot of participants.

So, really - I think there's no problem, aren't you just picking at imaginary hairs?  

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

The hours and days in a dream might go faster, more stuff might be put in, but the brain can not run faster than it can when awake, decisions, the ability to process and understand something is limited.  BTW, it's been proven that you can't process anything faster in a life or death situation, your life does not "flash before your eyes". And to say the VR puts them into sleep and manipulates their dreams, what a baseless statement. Actually there is visual proof to the contrary. I just went back, ch1 page 14, the device goes in front of the eyes, most of the device is there even. But there is no point in screen in front of the eyes for a sleeping person. Also, he goes to bed after setting up for the game, so in other words he went to sleep, before supposedly going to sleep for the game the next day. Also ch2 p27 "the next day" after their meal, not "that night" because they needed to sleep.

And if the event ACTUALLY lasted days you would loose a lot of participants.

You think if the event was a couple hours every day, they would lose participants? So you've never played a MMO before then...

Likewise my many other mentioned ways that could have been used without any significant alteration to the plot that weren't actual full real time days. And yes, there are events in MMOs that last actual days, you log in and do them when you get the chance, it waits for you.

Let's say for a moment the person reading this admits to this being garbage concept, what does it matter, you may ask. The real life is of these characters, or lack there of, is a real weakness already.  It should be filled out a bit, lacking that, nonsensical unnecessary garbage concepts about their real lives doesn't help anything. The comic could say everyone eats food with their anuses and things fall towards the sky in real life, considering most of the story is "in game" I suppose it wouldn't matter too much. Except it would matter, it would be unnecessary nonsense that severely breaks suspension of disbelief.

Besides, figuring out and putting in a more realistic way to have done the event, makes the game aspect of the story that dominates the story, more game like. Instead it's presented almost as though a real camping trip, author sure seemed keen on presenting it just like that for some reason. Maybe the author actually went camping and then wanted to imagine it with more exiting game like elements to it. But the point of imagining a story etc is being able to create story of stuff you haven't directly experienced; that is to say, such would show a lack of imagination by the author.

Edited by truepurple, 15 November 2017 - 08:55 PM.

boredones

boredones

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Most of games used acelerated time 1 day in terraria is 24m in real world , when GM say the event is accelerated is like 8m vs normal time.

Mobs have day/night cicles soo if you doing a quest whit night mobs you hace to wait the night and people like the time got acelerated instead wating the normal time of game.

Dark age of camelot 1hour cicles.

Minecraft is 20m.

On the games the events can be trigged by the hour in game  fast game cicles helps players instead having they waiting doing nothing when the event end game go to normal cicle, the bored go x wait mob appers killl it etc.

Edited by boredones, 21 December 2017 - 12:49 AM.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Exactly Boredones, that is what they could have done here. But instead its some insane explanation about accelerated brains.

Snowstrider

Snowstrider

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

The 'super advanced AI' calculated the actions of the people inside the closed instance partition and fed their brain the gist of what was going on between their notable encounters. most of us don't really care how many steps it takes us to get to work, but we remember that time we messed up, or that interesting conversation we had. 

the summer camp event could have been to stress test a new function for their AI, and the people needing sleep could have been a normal reaction to getting the gist of a 24 hour period fed into their brain over a ~43 minute period.

the players are already in a dreamstate while playing anyway if I remember correctly. and this justification works for me. 

the suspension of disbelief for me happens when I see the game's console: a wireless headphone eyepiece. 

how exactly is that supposed to feed information into the correct areas of the human brain? (applicants must need to get a chip surgically installed into their brain before playing)