Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Fix your RSS feeds, please.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

TUSF

TUSF

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts

So, I have My Follows on my RSS feed to more easily keep track of new chapters. But I have a major problem; I keep being notified of new chapters that aren't there.

I kinda know how submitting a new chapter goes; a submitted uploads the manga, and some site mod approves it eventually. The problem is, my RSS feed is alerting me to manga chapters that haven't been approved yet. This means that I'll be told there's a new chapter, go check it out, find nothing, refresh a couple times, come back 10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour later, with no change, and then decide it'll get approved eventually, so I get back to whatever I was doing...

And then I forget about it, and a week to two months later I get another notification, and I remember "Oh, I forgot to read the previous chapter because Batoto's RSS feeds can tell the future."

So to summarize, stop making it so the RSS feed for my Follows displays chapters that are still not available for me to read.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

What you're describing is just trait of how the RSS notifications work around here, they've always been like that, there's nothing to "fix".

I'm sorry, but aren't you at least visiting the site......you know, at least every now and then......and just looking at your follows list to see what's at the top of it? Sounds to me like dropping by the site once or twice a day would solve all your problems, wouldn't it?

Edited by svines85, 31 October 2017 - 07:07 AM.

Tn7HA0h.png

TUSF

TUSF

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts

What you're describing is just trait of how the RSS notifications work around here, they've always been like that, there's nothing to "fix".

I'm sorry, but aren't you at least visiting the site......you know, at least every now and then......and just looking at your follows list to see what's at the top of it? Sounds to me like dropping by the site once or twice a day would solve all your problems, wouldn't it?

Sure, but when you have a couple titles that are vaguely similar, and no way to track which chapter you've read or not (I've half-fixed this on my end by adding CSS to highlight visited links more noticeably, but that's still not perfect because I might think I read a new chapter because I clicked the link from my RSS reader when the chapter was still not approved) I might just assume I read that chapter already. There's a manga I'm following that my RSS feed says has existed for ~12 hours, and I still can't read it the next day.

Your suggestion to checking the site regularly is equivalent to saying "Just don't use the RSS feature", in which case I would ask "Why is there an RSS feed to begin with then?" To me this is admitting the feature doesn't do what it should be doing, and thus needs fixing. I don't think any reader cares when a chapter has been submitted and is waiting for approval. We want to know when we can actually read that chapter.

Edited by TUSF, 31 October 2017 - 09:17 AM.

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

The problem you're talking about is actually related to the delay system implemented on the site for groups who want to upload their releases to batoto, but not have them available for a few hours/days (usually to drive traffic to their own site). The RSS feed updates when a chapter is approved, but if that chapter is on delay the rss link will direct you to an error.

Grumpy has known about this for a while but hasn't done anything with it yet. It might be more complicated to fix than we realize.

In the meantime, if you run into this problem you can most likely just go to the website of the group scanlating the manga in question and find the chapter there :)

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Your suggestion to checking the site regularly is equivalent to saying "Just don't use the RSS feature", in which case I would ask "Why is there an RSS feed to begin with then?" To me this is admitting the feature doesn't do what it should be doing, and thus needs fixing

Yeah, not quite sure how you're working all that out, but whatever, while this has always been this way it's never been more than a handful of people who got snippy about it because, well, most people are perfectly fine just appreciating what they're being given and working within the system.

So yeah, good luck with all that :)

Tn7HA0h.png

Owyn

Owyn

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

Well... you can't go to a groups website if... they have no website T_T

Also it's not just the delay uploader sets but also moderators approval

I got 4+ chapter updates since yesterday in my RSS and not a single one is approved yet... and all of their uploaders have no website T_T