Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

On the rule about spoiler tags in comment sections...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Narehate

Narehate

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationHawaii

2. If posting Plot Details, use (Spoiler] Tags, or move it to the Forums instead.
   -[optional] Don't forget to mention "Spoiler Warning" before discussing the story - and before the Spoiler Tags
3. For Any Larger Images, All Videos/GIFs, and/or Texts approximately larger than ten lines,
 -Please use Spoiler Tags and indicate that the contents are not a Plot Spoiler, if required.

Is it possible to make marking a spoiler tag not optional but mandatory?  If spoiler tags are supposed to be used for images and text larger than ten lines as well as spoilers, people should be marking whether it is or isn't.  By default people might refrain from opening anything if it isn't marked but there are probably others who assume by default that if not stated otherwise it's just a post that's too large to not be in one.  When casually browsing a comments section that's what I usually do, anyways.

If non-spoilers and spoilers are required to share the same tag shouldn't marking them be required?  Or maybe there could be another BB Code for images and text that's too large that aren't spoilers?  I mean you could always blame the person who spoiled themselves for it, but it doesn't take any longer than a few seconds to type "spoilers below" or something as simple as that so people know that it is one, and at that point there isn't even any arguing that it's the reader's fault for opening it.

MAL: zanahorowa / tumblr: zanahorowa (inactive)

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

To be honest spoiler tags aren't supposed to be there to circumvent the limit on how much text goes into a comment. So that's actually were we would need to start fixing it. So technically we could simply allow that much text in comments. But since they are supposed to be 'comments' and there is a forum restricting length seems perfectly reasonable.

Natureboy

Natureboy

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdeep in the forest

There is a simple way to start doing this:  Use the "hide" BBCode tag for large images and large text blocks.  Use the "spoiler" tag for potential plot spoilers. Note that the "hide" tag can take a text string with the syntax hide=text. 

example hide

Spoiler

arimareiji

arimareiji

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 61 posts

This is a great discussion, but it's completely moot. The mods completely ignore spoilers, even when the most egregious spoilers are called out to them in the thread they designated for that purpose.

spoiler for 3D Kanojo

I have no idea why we have a checkbox with an obvious warning to not spoil, instead of good instructions on how to not spoil. Forbidding something, when you have no intention* to enforce it, encourages it.

* - or even the ability, to be fair

Edited by arimareiji, 03 November 2017 - 08:47 AM.

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts
  • Location@ the Greenhouse Tea Party~

Is it possible to make marking a spoiler tag not optional but mandatory?  If spoiler tags are supposed to be used for images and text larger than ten lines as well as spoilers, people should be marking whether it is or isn't.  By default people might refrain from opening anything if it isn't marked but there are probably others who assume by default that if not stated otherwise it's just a post that's too large to not be in one.  When casually browsing a comments section that's what I usually do, anyways.

If non-spoilers and spoilers are required to share the same tag shouldn't marking them be required?  Or maybe there could be another BB Code for images and text that's too large that aren't spoilers?  I mean you could always blame the person who spoiled themselves for it, but it doesn't take any longer than a few seconds to type "spoilers below" or something as simple as that so people know that it is one, and at that point there isn't even any arguing that it's the reader's fault for opening it.

The rules are never absolute....It will be changed if needed. But right now,  Those are the rules/guidelines we are putting in place.

It was mandatory but marking something as spoiler shouldnt be mandatory as it says "spoiler" already. Plus many members

already feel restrict as how the rules currently is. How are we to punish one who did place spoiler tag, but didnt put "spoiler"

above it? Thats one of litt concern.Yes it would be great if everyone listens but thats not the case. 

Usually one will know if in the "spoiler" tag is a gif,vid, img or txt ,based on how they react to it, or the words the use before it.

As mhh says, we dont want to restrict members to chara/words limitation. But we would like to reduce the burden on how it affects other

member who have bad connections, those that doesnt want to be spoiled that quick, or the comment section to be full of spam/random topics..

ranging from all different forms. Forum is for detail/long in-depth responses/discussion....Comment sections are meant to only be a general criticism of the manga or a reaction  to a certain parts. 

This is a great discussion, but it's completely moot. The mods completely ignore spoilers, even when the most egregious spoilers are called out to them in the thread they designated for that purpose.

I'm sorry if your report have been "ignored"... as there are many report yet to be reviewed. Its not ignored...It just takes times as many of us(staffs) arent on-duty 24/7. Theres more works than the staff available. We ask for ur patience and time. In the meanwhile, please continue report any comments that 

doesnt belong in the comment section. I will make sure all of the current c.s reports are done b4 the year ends. 

Edited by OchaMochi❣, 05 November 2017 - 05:33 AM.

ןן Tea Party~ ןן "THE BAR" ןן

ןןGuide to Uploading/deltin/sortin ןן

ןן[Must read] COMMENT SECTIONS RULES ן

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^
It maybe one step closer to death's door or an extension of your life's time.

arimareiji

arimareiji

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 61 posts

I'm sorry if your report have been "ignored"... as there are many report yet to be reviewed. Its not ignored...It just takes times as many of us(staffs) arent on-duty 24/7. Theres more works than the staff available. We ask for ur patience and time. In the meanwhile, please continue report any comments that 

doesnt belong in the comment section. I will make sure all of the current c.s reports are done b4 the year ends. 

If you want to start policing them now, I applaud your sincere wish to do good - but I reported that comment five months ago, and it's still there.

Also: When I reported it, I looked at a few before mine out of curiosity. At least at that time, they had been ignored for considerably longer.

I'm sorry, but when it takes so long to respond to spoilers that you have to look back several months to find them... it's too late to do any real good, and I think "ignored" is a completely fair description for what happened.

Especially considering that when someone called out a mod 15 months back (for deleting one comment and warning the commenter, but ignoring obvious spoilers and other broken rules), the mod disingenuously replied with (paraphrased) "I don't see anything, but report them if you want to". At least at the time I checked it out, no spoiler reports had been acted on since then.

Even if people actually knew where to find the comment removal thread (it's not exactly in plain sight), and believed it would be acted on, and diligently reported spoilers - it wouldn't be reasonable to expect volunteer mods to spend the time it would take to act on them all (while being fair and guarding against false reports). Actively policing all the comment threads for spoilers would be utterly impossible.

The cat is long out of the bag, and it can't be forced back in. I've said this before, and I still think it's the best solution:: Instead of making everyone repeatedly check a meaningless box that says "Don't spoil or post images or we'll get you" (even though the mods have no real ability to prevent it across all of Batoto) - replace that with a few lines of instructions on how to use the hide and spoiler tags. Most people will follow reasonable rules if they know how, and if you appeal to them in a civil manner. Empty threats only encourage people to flout them.