Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

We need a way to try a different server, when the page doesn't load.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

First, once pages don't load, it doesn't seem to matter which server you switch to, they wont load. I usually have better odds clicking middle button of my mouse to open in a new page, and if it doesn't load, close and try again, over and over. Right now for example, a new chapter of a comic is up, and pages won't load, 9 times out of 10.

Second, when a page won't load, it doesn't load at all. Not even the pull down menu for chapter and page or server selection button. These should load up, even if the page itself doesn't, otherwise they are worse than pointless. Since if I choose new server, and the page doesn't load, not only am I faced with a page with no buttons at all except the batoto top menu (batoto comics random groups my follows....) but also when I click the back button, the page I already had loaded is also lost, so the back button brings me to another page with no menus etc. So if I want to try to get the page to load again, I have to navigate back to it, which is a problem when nothing is loading!

Edited by truepurple, 18 September 2017 - 10:36 PM.

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts
  • Location@ the Greenhouse Tea Party~

would be more helpful to provide scnshots so we know what you are seeing...

I have yet to have any problems with any comics...shrugs I am not sure...

ןן Tea Party~ ןן "THE BAR" ןן

ןןGuide to Uploading/deltin/sortin ןן

ןן[Must read] COMMENT SECTIONS RULES ן

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^
It maybe one step closer to death's door or an extension of your life's time.

Subbed

Subbed

Ascending Cat

• General Mods
  • 256 posts
Besides what was already said above by OchaMochi, would you mind sharing which comics and chapters in specific were you trying to read, just so we can make sure that the problem is not on our side and by that eliminating possibilities

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

isn't it that always-present issue with caching chapters once they get approved and redistributed on all servers? only happening to the most recent stuff? supposedly unavoidable.

hasn't been brought up in ages so I don't have any particular thread describing it at hand and my network-fu is too low to offer an explanation myself.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Please parse the issue. It's unfortunate that we get issues of pages not loading, and it does seem to be most prevalent with newly added material. But that is not the main thrust/point of this thread.

When ever any page doesn't load, also the menu part doesn't load https://screenshots.firefox.com/Nf7hqAUYVhZjSoLU/bato.to (comic shown is random to demonstrate menu buttons in question) None of that loads if the page image doesn't load, including that little asterisk/flower/whatever the hell it is, that you click on to choose different servers. That has always been the case, ALWAYS, I've had many examples of pages not loading over the years, and the menu buttons also didn't load every time. So in other words, the menu button for choosing new server is not available exactly when you need it most. It might as well not exist as it is now.

I can't show you a image of it not loading, because I need a page not loading. But I would hope you'd get the idea, an actual screen-shot of nothingness wouldn't contribute anything more to this point.

P.S. I wanted to load the image directly so people could see it without having to click on the link, but it gave me some error about not permitting that or something.

Edited by truepurple, 19 September 2017 - 12:44 PM.

Mad Hero

Mad Hero

Potato

• Contributor
  • 105 posts

Please parse the issue. It's unfortunate that we get issues of pages not loading, and it does seem to be most prevalent with newly added material. But that is not the main thrust/point of this thread.

When ever any page doesn't load, also the menu part doesn't load https://screenshots.firefox.com/Nf7hqAUYVhZjSoLU/bato.to (comic shown is random to demonstrate menu buttons in question) None of that loads if the page image doesn't load, including that little asterisk/flower/whatever the hell it is, that you click on to choose different servers. That has always been the case, ALWAYS, I've had many examples of pages not loading over the years, and the menu buttons also didn't load every time. So in other words, the menu button for choosing new server is not available exactly when you need it most. It might as well not exist as it is now.

I can't show you a image of it not loading, because I need a page not loading. But I would hope you'd get the idea, an actual screen-shot of nothingness wouldn't contribute anything more to this point.

P.S. I wanted to load the image directly so people could see it without having to click on the link, but it gave me some error about not permitting that or something.

When you load a chapter there are 3 things you need to load:

1. The base page bato.to/reader
  2. The comic and chapter content menu (selection bars, arrows, url to the image and ads). Eg: bato.to/areader?id=89f14c7da0386f28&p=2
  3. The image. Eg: img4.bato.to/comics/2017/09/19/a/read59c099e5bb3eb/img000003.png

1 and 2 are loaded from the main server (bato.to) while 3 is from different image servers (img1.bato.to img4.bato.to etc). The url to 3 is specified in 2.

When you change the server from the gear icon you are only changing the image server and thus has no effect in loading the content menu of the chapter.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

When you load a chapter there are 3 things you need to load:

1. The base page bato.to/reader
  2. The comic and chapter content menu (selection bars, arrows, url to the image and ads). Eg: bato.to/areader?id=89f14c7da0386f28&p=2
  3. The image. Eg: img4.bato.to/comics/2017/09/19/a/read59c099e5bb3eb/img000003.png

1 and 2 are loaded from the main server (bato.to) while 3 is from different image servers (img1.bato.to img4.bato.to etc). The url to 3 is specified in 2.

As I have said, every time #3 doesn't load, #2 also doesn't load. And I have likewise never seen #3 load but #2 not. If they aren't on the same servers, there is still clearly a direct connection  between them where the image hosting server lagging is interfering with the main server somehow. Maybe the main server doesn't load #2. till it starts getting the image/gets the image completely for some reason. So bad programing could have the main server sitting on #2 and not loading it as it twiddles its thumbs waiting for a pic from one of the image servers that never comes, and leaving viewers unable to try another image server. Well that's only conjecture, but also the only explanation I can think of considering what you are telling us and what I know happens.

When you change the server from the gear icon you are only changing the image server and thus has no effect in loading the content menu of the chapter.

One can't change the image server without #2 (and the problem I've been discussing in this very thread) via normal means, so that is completely irrelevant. So your saying you can't get the gear that one uses to change servers to load by changing servers using said gear, truly circular logic.

Edited by truepurple, 21 September 2017 - 01:11 AM.

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

2 things really quick:

1. Have you tried without addons (e.g. NoScript, ad blockers, etc)?

2. Have you tried another browser completely?

The site does bog down sometimes becoming slower, but I've rarely had the main content load (header, menu) but not the reader bits. Next time it happens, I recommend refreshing while holding ctrl (ctrl+shift+R) to reload the page without using in-browser caching, then hit F12 and switch to the Console tab to see if there are any errors.

If you see any, post them here for us to analyze. Alternatively, if using another browser works fine, we can narrow it down to a setting or addon you have in your browser of choice causing the problem.

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

I've had it with different OS's, different computers altogether, without addons, Chrome, Firefox, Opera.

Daktyl, are you you saying you've had images/#3 not load, but #2 load many times in the past personally?

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

Hmm. It's weird for #1 to load, but #2 to not.

I've had #2 load but not #3 load in the past, but it's usually either something wrong with the image server or my connection to the server. Simply waiting or hitting refresh will fix it most times.

If this is happening a lot, then I'd very much like to see those error messages.

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

It only happens when #3 won't load. I think when I try to view new chapters during what is probably higher usage hours then #2 and #3 will sometimes not load.  Sometimes it's just even for a short spike where it won't load except occassionally for maybe 10 minutes or something, and every time, if #3 doesn't load, than #2 doesn't load.  I typically view the site at odd hours, it's been awhile before last time that it's happened.