Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Why I like Pokemon - Festival of Champions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Jouzea

Jouzea

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Well, I made this thread because I felt bad that the only thread for this manga is the why i don't like this manga one. I wanted to show support because i like it and don't want people to be discouraged by the other thread. 

1. I like the art. The details put into it especially in the battle scenes made those scenes alive and I felt hyped (e.g. Lapras' surprising move). 
  2. It gives life to cool fan theory that we have for so long (Green's Rattata)
  3. Characters are more fleshed out. I like how the author portrays are beloved characters.
  4. The battles are somehow rational at least within its universe. Again see Lapras and the explanation why it was able to pull up the epic move.
  5. I somehow felt that this is how the League is supposed to be.
  6. I like how different gen pokemon and people from different region are welcome to join the league as well.
  7. I like the backstories.

kivzh7

kivzh7

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Same here! I think if you like Pokemon games (which is full of contradictions themselves), there is no way you would hate Festival of Champions. On a side note, I always hated the anime because of the slow pace and the weak protagonist. The Red and Green in this manga are much more personal and driven, and they win :)

Knight K

Knight K

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationCHILE, santiago

Same here! I think if you like Pokemon games (which is full of contradictions themselves), there is no way you would hate Festival of Champions. On a side note, I always hated the anime because of the slow pace and the weak protagonist. The Red and Green in this manga are much more personal and driven, and they win :)

it's the problem that the anime is for kids, that's why Pokemon Origins was by far more appreciated, 'cause it was for it fans that in that moment are already older so showing the story being more adult-like, it made it a lot more interesting ... some day, Pokemon Adventures, the game by itself of even this work should/will be animated xD (probably when the company remembers who is actually playing the games)

Edited by Knight K, 04 July 2017 - 10:03 PM.

Dreamingflower

Dreamingflower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 731 posts
I agree, reading this gave me so much of the nostalgia that I get from playing the gen 1 games. The battles are portrayed beautifully and I love the back stories we get. I hope we get to see Blue's narrative next.

The only thing I'm not very keen on are the anime references and there are some things that get lost in translation like the whole meaning of dark types, which are actually evil types in the Japanese. (The Japanese name makes it more logical why those types aren't favourable with humans)

This is still a good story, not as good as Special is in my opinion but I still love it.

Edited by Dreamingflower, 12 July 2017 - 09:51 PM.

Posted Image

Now a story before falling asleep

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3707972/

Radicool21

Radicool21

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Honestly I'm just posting here to bump this thread up higher than the other one, which was made in bad taste and potentially drives off readers without giving this awesome manga a fair shot. The thread with the most recent post shows up higher, so here we are. In other news, I'm collecting a list of changes/references that this manga makes to the games/anime/manga/other sources, so once I have it all up to date I'll add em. 

It's fantastically written and builds off the premise of Pokemon battling wonderfully, by adding both logic and depth to the League itself and with trainers' relationships with their pokemon.

Edited by Radicool21, 22 October 2017 - 11:06 PM.

Lodevijk

Lodevijk

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I simply adore the artstyle. It captures the appeal of the characters much better than any of the h doujins. Misty is such a cutie here.