Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Yuki Takeya (Analysis)

Spoilers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

buncadet

buncadet

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

​I've been wondering for the longest time many topics left vague about the protagonist, Yuki Takeya, particularly the coping methods used to distract her from the zombie apocalypse and her behavior in general through the ways she interacts with the others. As we might already be aware of, Takeya suffers from some sort of disorder(?) in which she seems completely oblivious to the events occurring in the outside world or outright chooses to deny the possibilities for the sake of maintaining her own sanity. The team views her as a vital figure even though she doesn't participate in the termination of zombies like Kurumi does because she uplifts the mood. Serving as the Pollyanna you could say. She is the human embodiment of an efficient distraction for everyone surrounding her. This comes in handy as there are several mental breakdowns and dips of hope for the team at distinct points throughout the beginning volumes especially. Another aspect about Takeya that I personally believe is noteworthy is her appearance. The cat ear hat, frilly socks, (angel?) winged-backpack, and bear clip. All these combined make her an immediate attraction to the viewers because of how unique her style is from the rest. Not to mention, compared to Kurumi, Yuuri, and Miki her uniform is quite peculiar due to the color scheme. Which is actually the inverted version of the usual green uniform worn in Megurigaoka. There are hints pointing towards Takeya being a victim of bullying as well, when Megumi calls for her (before the tragic events began) to receive some test scores back there are noticeably some students gossiping about how strange her fashion is. Takeya's quiet demeanor during her days as a normal high school student could be another potential indicator of some sort of abuse taking place, she never really spoke and had difficulties concentrating during class. I've always wondered why she voluntarily chooses to wear these clothes which consequently makes her the black sheep of the whole? She's struggling to be herself possibly with such a childish attitude towards everything but this undoubtedly brings misery. Why does she change her personality all of a sudden once the crises begins? Did she see it as an opportunity to start anew in some odd way? To make herself useful too? Megumi's relationship with Takeya is interesting as well. Since Takeya is the only one who can see or perhaps has delusions of Megumi throughout most of the manga after the notorious death. Compared to the other teammates, is the reason behind Takeya being able to view this presence stemming from the fact that she avoids the entire general situation of the environment? Or could it be something else? I recall Miki reading about multiple personality disorders before attempting to confront Takeya about her denial. Sorry for the lengthy description, I wanted to know what everyone thought of this too. Feel free to correct me if you think something is off or have a contradictory opinion.

Edited by buncadet, 23 May 2017 - 08:21 PM.