Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Hacking Persona 5 save files on the PS3

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Contrary to others, I didn't enjoy persona 5. After 30 or so hours, I have found the slow pace, meaningless dialogue, and inconsequential theme hard to deal with. Since the s.links have been so watered down to appease the bourgeois, a trend that started since P4, I have discovered that hacking the save files is more exciting than the kill. Getting those exotic skills on your confidants vastly increases the excitement of what would otherwise be an extremely boring game. 

To begin, since the PS3 encrypts your game save files with the console ID and user ID, you will have decrypt the files. Transfer them via USB or FTP  (if you have a custom firmware) onto your computer, and then download Bruteforce Save Data and setup your global profile (game console ID/userID). Enter a new entry in your game.conf for P5, for your version of the game. Note that the US version would have a different key. After wards, decrypt the game, and open the game.dat file.

Note: 

I highly recommend making a backup of the game save on your hard drive. I have a slot onto which I uploaded a modded save. After I loaded the game, the MC was in 4/1, and have to relive the same night over and over again. You couldn't advance the night of 4/1 by sleeping. Even after I delete the slot, there was no way to write the slot with a new save. "System Error". I end up with 15 instead of 16 save slots. Das lyf. 

Spoiler

I'm using the EU version of the game, so all folders start with NPEB02436. The addresses here are specific to EU version. I've read that the Japanese version are off by 20h, but the US version should be the same. YMMV. 

After some trial and error, I discovered that the persona info are written near the top of the save files. Using your favorite hex editor, open game.dat. Search your persona for their skills using their skill ID.

For example, if your first persona has Ziodyne (002A) as their first skill and Brain Jack (0061) as their second skill, then search  "00 2A 00 61".  

Spoiler

In my case, the first match is the skills for the first demon, on row A0. Row A0 stores all the skills, each skill takes up 32 bits, i.e [00-01]  for the first skill, to [0E-0F] for the eighth and last skill. Change those numbers to get new skills. If you notice the numbers on the following row, B1, you'll notice those numbers like "29 2E 2D 2C 23". If you convert them from hex to decimals, you'll see that they match strength/magic/endurance/agility/luck. The preceding row, row 90, stores information for the first persona, such as persona ID [07], current level [08], and current experience [0D-0F]. 

When I searched for skills on my second demon, I found them on D0. Once again the row above C0 stores persona information, and row below E0 stores strength/magic attributes. The pattern holds true for the first ten personas - 3 row blocks with ID/skills/attributes on each block for each demon. If you don't have a persona then those rows are all zeros. You can even copy a persona from one save file to another persona, by overwriting those 3 blocks. 

A word of warning, I have tried to force unknown persona ID's into offset 7, with dire consequences. I believe it was the reason why I got stuck in the 4/1 forever loop. Maybe someone could figure out why. My feeling is that you can't get personas that have not yet appeared in your compendum.

Finally you can also change the skills of your confidants too, using the same search/replace technique. When I searched for Morgana and Yusuke for their first skills slots, I found them at the beginning of the row (aligned at 0), but Makoto and Yusuke are in the middle at offset 08.

Morgana 1st skill: 5F0

Carmen 1st skill: 890[08] 

Makoto 1st skill: DEO[08] 

Captain Kidd 1st 340[08] 

Yusuke1st skill : B40

Skill ID for reference 
Spoiler

Persona IDs

Spoiler

Edited by Feishy Bit Moar, 07 May 2017 - 12:56 AM.