Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Bitch-slut to son of a bitch?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Something is translating weird here. How is bitch the same as slut? That is what it is saying, right? Bitch usually means a female who is ruthless and inconsiderate of others, a real jerk.

And how are they using "son of a bitch"? Normally its used to mean a foul jerk, someone with low morals, little consideration for others, and sometimes has a hint of pathetic implied in it. Usually used as a insult. I don't get at all how it's being used here. Son of a bitch, and bitch, generally have the same usage in american english, except bitch implies stronger and is sometimes embraced as a self label and of course bitch is used exclusively with females. The exception is the slang of making someone your bitch, which implies ownership of that person, like a slave, often with sexual implication, and is almost always used this way only with males.

Well I am sure the meaning in the comic is far removed from these usages, but its confusing, the jokes lost on me.

Aoitenshi1

Aoitenshi1

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Something is translating weird here. How is bitch the same as slut? That is what it is saying, right? Bitch usually means a female who is ruthless and inconsiderate of others, a real jerk.

And how are they using "son of a bitch"? Normally its used to mean a foul jerk, someone with low morals, little consideration for others, and sometimes has a hint of pathetic implied in it. Usually used as a insult. I don't get at all how it's being used here. Son of a bitch, and bitch, generally have the same usage in american english, except bitch implies stronger and is sometimes embraced as a self label and of course bitch is used exclusively with females. The exception is the slang of making someone your bitch, which implies ownership of that person, like a slave, often with sexual implication, and is almost always used this way only with males.

Well I am sure the meaning in the comic is far removed from these usages, but its confusing, the jokes lost on me.

Apparently, the meaning of 'BITCH' in Japan has transformed from its original 'an unpleasant woman' into 'a woman who will gladly sleep with any man for money', which would be a synonym to slut.

There are many cases where 'borrowed words' lost its original meaning when used in another language. Those that I know, for example:

1. Indonesian to English: 'Bahasa', original meaning 'Language', but is generally known to translate as 'Indonesian Language' by default.

2. Japanese to Indonesian: 'Samurai', original refers to the PERSON, but Indonesian would think that 'Samurai' refers to the SWORD instead.

Featured Projects:

- Lady Ayane is a Sanova B**chi

- Raisekamika

Roses are red,

Lilies are awesome.

Won't you donate?

to aoitenshi.com

Buy Me a Coffee [link here]
Become a Patron! [link here]
Send some bitcoin (too expensive) satoshi? 1KjFCmpFiXDBLL6RwKJGkDhaQwe9JMx6nf

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

"for money"? That's more prostitute than slut. Are you sure the money part is part of the Japanese definition?

Aoitenshi1

Aoitenshi1

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Hmm, not really that sure. Maybe I read that part wrong.

Featured Projects:

- Lady Ayane is a Sanova B**chi

- Raisekamika

Roses are red,

Lilies are awesome.

Won't you donate?

to aoitenshi.com

Buy Me a Coffee [link here]
Become a Patron! [link here]
Send some bitcoin (too expensive) satoshi? 1KjFCmpFiXDBLL6RwKJGkDhaQwe9JMx6nf

XII

XII

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

The japanese took the original meaning of bitch(female dog -> dog in heat -> woman with high sexual desire, the 14th century definition) not the modern/broader definition of bitch (unpleasant woman, someone's property) same with the son of a bitch one too.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Son of a bitch use to mean like a human male in heat? I find that a bit hard to believe.

XII

XII

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

well i only know bitch origin because one time it was discussed on sadpanda, and after searching a bit SOB meaning more or less still same, to remark someone as rude or similar to that, so that's one my error.

i haven't found evidence that japanese use SOB as in using them like bitch though. its common enough for certain H-manga genre have ビッチ/bicchi/bitch on them, but i haven't found any H-manga or regular manga with heavy violence(or insult) with サノバビッチ/sonobabicchi/sonovabitch as regular insult, probably i didn't read that kind of manga often enough.

as for why SOB title, the author probably want to put original bitch meaning to son of a bitch phrase, if japanese read the title they will think son of a (original meaning of)bitch, rather than SOB as in american english meaning. but that's just speculation.

so anymore than this i'll be speculating, if you're not satisfied, either wait for others to reply or search it by your own.