Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Apology for Uploading Kaguya Ch. 47

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

XtremeAero426

XtremeAero426

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So earlier today, I saw Kaguya chapter 47 posted on Reddit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/5kttqg/disc_kaguya_wants_to_be_confessed_to_the_geniuses/

I didn't see it on bato.to so I thought it would be fine to share it here. Turns out, that's not the case. 

So, later when I got back on Reddit, I noticed a message from /u/J-Factor informing me that Psylocke Scans / Jagman are the actual group/person that scans Kaguya. I only read and know nothing about the scanlation community so I wasn't aware of that at all. My account was actually made this month so I'm especially new to the bato.to community as well. I put /r/manga scans as the group because that was what the post was flaired as. That was also wrong. 

I'd like to sincerely apologize to jagman1x3 especially for uploading his/her work without their permission. Again, I know nothing about the scanlation community so I wasn't aware of any of the rules surrounding sharing scans. I was not trying to take credit for it in any way and I only wanted to share the latest chapter with others. I hope you can forgive me for this misunderstanding. It won't happen again.

I'd also like to thank /u/J-Factor for informing me of this in a calm and polite manner. The other messages I received on bato.to were understandably harsh but it'd be appreciated if you could check the account age first next time as I had no idea that I was doing anything wrong.

---

tl;dr: Due to my lack of knowledge surrounding rules about sharing scanlations, I unknowingly and wrongly posted a chapter under the wrong group and pissed a bunch of people off. Once I found out, I deleted the post immediately. I'm very sorry and it won't happen again. I hope you can forgive me.

Update: It turns out the red x next to the title doesn't delete the upload. It just unapproves it and then a mod will eventually re-approve it as rtwpsom2 informed me this morning(PST). I actually need to change the title to "Delete" which I've already gone ahead and done. Sorry, I'm new here and don't know how deleting uploads work. I thought the red X was the delete button. Sorry.

Edited by XtremeAero426, 29 December 2016 - 08:21 PM.

"Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." - Spike Milligan

Tarage

Tarage

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 14 posts

Let this be a lesson to everyone. If you don't know who scanlated something, and you were not responsible in it's creation, don't upload it. This is what causes scanlation groups to quit scanlating. When in doubt, don't. Ever.

Bowl0l

Bowl0l

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
I didn't know we can get Kaguya release through Reddit.
I'm too dependent on batoto.

XtremeAero426

XtremeAero426

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I didn't know we can get Kaguya release through Reddit.
I'm too dependent on batoto.

For me it's the other way around. I'm too dependent on Reddit. I need to spend more time here and become more familiar with the community and it's rules.

Edited by XtremeAero426, 29 December 2016 - 11:10 AM.

"Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." - Spike Milligan

JackAderall

JackAderall

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

You don't need to apologize. If anyone should be apologizing, it's the ones who escalated the problem, like Tarage.

All it takes is a tap on the shoulder and some talking to to get everything sorted out. Reading on /a/, reddit, and here... people really took this whole thing too far.

What lesson did we learn here? The popular series always seem to have the worst of people behind it.

Mana Light

Mana Light

Potato Spud

• Chocolat Vanilla
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGMT+7

As a scanlator, my opinion is different.

"Let this be a lesson to everyone. If you don't know who scanlated something, and you were not responsible in it's creation, don't upload it."

This is true because you (Aero) uploaded without permission. For this manga and for almost manga, the one scanlates it is also the one uploads it in batoto. Because you don't know it, you upload without permission. It is the main reason.

The second is you credited wrong group.

The consequence is bigger than you think.

It is not that the unredrawn version spreaded everywhere because this ver is good enough to read, there almost won't be any correction for translation in final version (after redrawing + QC), it is just not redrawn. When scanlators fix some small errors of their release in batoto, leech sites won't leech the chapter again anyways and the errors will remain in leech site.

Batoto affects information in mangaupdate, the biggest site for searching information for manga in general.

When you credit wrong group, it does show up in mangaupdate.

For example:

https://www.mangaupdates.com/showtopic.php?tid=54283

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=121872

Or some other data like someone can upload it to torrent with wrong group name.

" This is what causes scanlation groups to quit scanlating."

But this is incorrect. What makes scanlators quit is:

- Another group appears and kill steal their project with lower quality but faster.

- Real life.

- Ungrateful reader, for example, they will say something like: "Hey xxx, stop doing it and let other group do it instead because you are SLOOOOOW"

Uploading wrongly very rarely happens. And such thing like that doesn't make scanlator stop at all.

Anyways, it is small problem as long as it won't happen again. Scanlator doesn't bother anything other than want to fix it.

Edited by Mana Light, 29 December 2016 - 11:52 PM.

akrolsmir

akrolsmir

Potato Sprout

• Donator
  • 6 posts

As a scanlator -- thanks for trying to help out! I hope you don't let this incident discourage you, and continue to do your best to help the scanlation community =)

Houdini

Houdini

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Location東京市

But, the chapter released in reddit is the same from psylocke scans, and i don't quite get it.

Mana Light

Mana Light

Potato Spud

• Chocolat Vanilla
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGMT+7

Psylocke scans uploaded alpha ver (redrawing or cleaning can be not completed) to 4chan first.

A certain person (also friend of psylocke scan) will grap them and upload to imgur and post to reddit. It depends. If redrawing can be done fast, he will wait for final version and post batoto link, if not, he will grap images in 4chan and upload to imgur. He is online in many channels in irc include psylocke channel so he can know the situation. He said many times that they belong to psylocke. You would see it at least 4,5 times (if not all the times) if you read this manga in reddit.

c2872ffb06.png

When you upload to 4chan or reddit (imgur), leech sites can't leech it so it is fine.

Edited by Mana Light, 30 December 2016 - 07:47 AM.

XtremeAero426

XtremeAero426

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Psylocke scans uploaded alpha ver (redrawing or cleaning can be not completed) to 4chan first.

A certain person (also friend of psylocke scan) will grap them and upload to imgur and post to reddit. It depends. If redrawing can be done fast, he will wait for final version and post batoto link, if not, he will grap images in 4chan and upload to imgur. He is online in many channels in irc include psylocke channel so he can know the situation. He said many times that they belong to psylocke. You would see it at least 4,5 times (if not all the times) if you read this manga in reddit.

c2872ffb06.png

When you upload to 4chan or reddit (imgur), leech sites can't leech it so it is fine.

" He said many times that they belong to psylocke. You would see it at least 4,5 times (if not all the times) if you read this manga in reddit."

The reason I put it under /r/manga scans was because that was what the post was flaired as: http://i.imgur.com/upGMsci.png

I also usually don't read the comments so I never saw that as well. I should start reading the comments section on /r/manga more often.

M-AS

M-AS

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Time to learn something about reddit's /r/manga!

The reason I put it under /r/manga scans was because that was what the post was flaired as: http://i.imgur.com/upGMsci.png

That's not the post flair.

That's /u/rtwpsom2's /r/manga flair. He gets that flair because he is a member of /r/manga scans.

The post itself has no flair.

The more you know!

XtremeAero426

XtremeAero426

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You don't need to apologize. If anyone should be apologizing, it's the ones who escalated the problem, like Tarage.

All it takes is a tap on the shoulder and some talking to to get everything sorted out. Reading on /a/, reddit, and here... people really took this whole thing too far.

What lesson did we learn here? The popular series always seem to have the worst of people behind it.

Took a bit of digging around in the 4chan archives but I found the /a/ thread that JackAderall is referencing if anyone is interested: archive.is/BXVcw