Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Games are not fun anymore!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

Hey, do you remember how much fun you had playing multiplayer games before? You know, before they became so competitive and started tracking everyones stats?

Back when people played for fun and not scores? Before everyone turned into a giant douchebag!

Good times...

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

Kokai

Kokai

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, nowhere, somewhere and anywhere.

You mean those time that never existed? Yeah, I miss those.

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

Multiplayer has always been competitive. People didn't play Quake or Unreal tournament to lose.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

2hot4you

2hot4you

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationThe Wild
Games need an end time or you'd never get those moochers outta your house man

aovnZo7.png

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

Multiplayer has always been competitive. People didn't play Quake or Unreal tournament to lose.

The thing is, I don't remember those being toxic cespools.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

I thought it'd be a "gaming industry sucks now / they dun make good games anymore" thread, codex-style.

I remember counter strike being always about competition. half life multiplayer I guess less so, because deathmatch focus (i.e. a good replacement for playing against AI/bots). team fortress was a lot of fun if you needed something to just relax - competitive stuff was present, yes, but there was no pressure on it and it just happened as a result of having fun killing enemies (sniping pixel-sized heads of jumping opponents from the other end of the map on the well, surprising flag runners with hidden turrets, leisure walks under heavy fire with heavies, etc.).

Last played an mmorpg ~5 years ago? Was no competitive stuff in that area still. Some vs events, maybe guild stuff or individual pvp rivalry, but soloing was usually not a problem and the focus on grinding whatever was grindable together with other people was much bigger. mmo with any sort of level up mechanics or itemisation = grinding uber alles, anyway.

No idea about strategy gaming and spaceship stuff, never touched online stuff in these as far as I can remember.

If the playerbase is much worse now, then it means casuls lured into gaming by marketing teams or the current generation of children suck.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

True Goddess Reincarnation

True Goddess Reincarnation

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTexas

Life I guess.  Also CoD.

Skwid79

Skwid79

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

I play fighting games myself but not to rack up a win count or rank, I play to get better and enjoy competition against another person.

TeaCat

TeaCat

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 85 posts

Hey, do you remember how much fun you had playing multiplayer games before? You know, before they became so competitive and started tracking everyones stats?

Back when people played for fun and not scores? Before everyone turned into a giant douchebag!

Good times...

I think achievements many games implement are stupid.  But a kill / death ratio isn't bad in games where there is such a thing.  I know on dustforce they track your times and they offer replays you can watch to see how they did it too.  http://dustworth.com/profile/11564/Linley

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

I think achievements many games implement are stupid.  But a kill / death ratio isn't bad in games where there is such a thing.  I know on dustforce they track your times and they offer replays you can watch to see how they did it too.  http://dustworth.com/profile/11564/Linley

Yeah, but that's pretty basic. Now you get into a game and there are so many stats and people orient themselves so much around them it turned people into obnoxious elitists.

It makes games a lot less fun when people are constantly measuring like that, instead of playing to play and have fun, hell even if they are feeling competitive you can do it without all these stats. It's turning games into complete messes.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

GiantMarimo

GiantMarimo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

I played a lot of MMO's when I was younger and honestly everyone was really social & nice or at least chatty regardless of how competitive the games were.
Guilds were fun and we all were good friends.
Now I can't really get into an MMO, it feels like it's harder to interact with people. No one really talks anymore, I feel like I'm playing with bots.
The most conversation I get is "Where is this so and so item can be farmed" or "where is this mob" and pretty much "thanks" "np".

Or is it just me?

Murdath

Murdath

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Locationhere.

Games suck lately, I've been playing old games exclusively, single player and when I have nothing else to do. Well Kenshi can't be called old because it's still Early Access but even then I've already done everything short of killing the Mega raptor, because I couldn't be bothered to search, I'll have to wait until bigger chunks of the map get released and maybe more content is added.

No one wants to be a slave. But if you do, please email me, because I'm looking for a few good slaves.

Gala Lion

Gala Lion

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 231 posts

BF1 is still a fun multiplayer game U_U 

sPYGmxY.jpg?1YXp8ZDc.jpg?1

Kakegurui Official Facebook Fan Page click on the images if you want to LIKE!

Mimiko

Mimiko

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

I definitely don't play games as often as i used to, but i don't think that's because games suck now haha. Just that a lot of my friends don't play anymore or i've lost some for other reasons. There's just no one to play with and other people online tend to be either 12 or really rude haha.

I enjoy playing overwatch and titan fall. Plus zombies, zombies never get's old haha  

miku_by_whooaman-dbis7mg.png

LilletBlan

LilletBlan

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Multiplayer games are as fun as they've ever been methinks. Best with friends, results may vary with strangers. Difference being nowadays there's online multiplayer and widely available fast connections so you tend to play with strangers a lot more. Reach for that mute button like it's a poorly supervised cookie jar.

Of course, avoiding games with notoriously toxic communities helps too.

Cʜɪʟʟɪɴ_Pᴀɴᴅᴀ

Cʜɪʟʟɪɴ_Pᴀɴᴅᴀ

Couch Potato

• Donator
  • 2,447 posts
  • LocationMelancholy Hill~

Define "fun". 

Under correct circumstances anything is fun or not. Yet, just FYI whatever you do under stress inducing mindset ... you are doomed.. in a nutshell.

If you are looking for a thrill ... try to look away from your monitor once in a while.

Steam   Playlist   Tumblr   Watchlist   M.A.List

Spoiler

grimmjagger

grimmjagger

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCaNdY Factory

I think that the intensity in that "multiplayer nutshell" make it fun, at least that's how I feel when I look at the stats after each game.

I don't think people should be called "douchebags" for finding competition fun.

upalod932f5.gif

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

Define "fun". 

Under correct circumstances anything is fun or not. Yet, just FYI whatever you do under stress inducing mindset ... you are doomed.. in a nutshell.

If you are looking for a thrill ... try to look away from your monitor once in a while.

Fun, having a good time, not having to deal with obnoxius and  toxic people most of the  time.

I think that the intensity in that "multiplayer nutshell" make it fun, at least that's how I feel when I look at the stats after each game.

I don't think people should be called "douchebags" for finding competition fun.

Something can be as intense as it can get, but all of that fun and excitement can be ruined by certain kinds of people.
I'm not calling copetitive players or those looking to challenge their own current limits douchebags. What I'm saying is since stat tracking became more and more prominent and publicly viewable, more and more assholes reared their ugly heads.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

Dafortminor

Dafortminor

Omnipotence

• Global Mods
  • 752 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Been playing guild wars 2 recently on a very cancer and toxic server for a game mode called WvW, and well I personally like the toxicity over there, but to each to their own. 

Best and fastest way to contact me is via Discord: Daffy#9194.

Cʜɪʟʟɪɴ_Pᴀɴᴅᴀ

Cʜɪʟʟɪɴ_Pᴀɴᴅᴀ

Couch Potato

• Donator
  • 2,447 posts
  • LocationMelancholy Hill~

uqKXf.jpg

Well in my 5000+ hours of multiplayer experience... It's rather ourselves go salty... Sure there are ton of toxic players... But you have a choice to mute them... or dodge the game... Believe me... it worked for me so far.

Steam   Playlist   Tumblr   Watchlist   M.A.List

Spoiler