Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Are you a Windows, MacOS or Linux user?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Cloggedone

Cloggedone

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Locationindiana, us

What do you use? Are you a Windows guy, a MacOS artist, or a Linux nerd? Also, which version?

My laptop runs Windows 10 Home x64, however, my desktop will be running Arch Linux x64 once I get a new NIC for it.

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • LocationSint Maarten, Kingdom of the Netherlands

What is a Linux? O.o

Seriously, does that brand still exist? Been forever since I heard that name...

I mostly just use Windows (10). I'm not special enough to swim against the current. I do use Firefox though, does that earn me an award?

“It's all about Power."
"Grabbing it. Keeping it. Using It."
"Power is our currency, our DNA... Our God.”
"We control the World."
"We provide the blueprint. And we give the Instructions."

Cloggedone

Cloggedone

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Locationindiana, us

What is a Linux? O.o

Seriously, does that brand still exist? Been forever since I heard that name...

I mostly just use Windows (10). I'm not special enough to swim against the current. I do use Firefox though, does that earn me an award?

Linux has been an actively developed, free of charge OS since 1991. It powers a lot of things you may use everyday.

I like 10, honestly. I get why some don't though.

sjoe

sjoe

Potato

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock.

Currently, my potato has Windows 7 dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04. I'm not a Linux nerd by any account though; I just have it because it's easier to do some of my college stuff on it.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Well, like The Illuminati kind of implies, as far as OS's go, Windows 10 is pretty much the standard bearer, so yeah, for the average user, why bother to fight the current, right?

I personally like 10 an awful lot........of course this is coming from someone who freaking suffered under the yoke of Windows 8 for a year and a half >_<

So yeah, it's easy to love 10 in comparison to that abortion :D

Tn7HA0h.png

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • LocationSint Maarten, Kingdom of the Netherlands

Apple and Microsoft shout so loudly these days (Apple especially) that it's easy to forget that there are alternatives our there. That said, unless you're the type to build a PC from scratch, picking whatever is available is usually enough to meet your everyday needs.

“It's all about Power."
"Grabbing it. Keeping it. Using It."
"Power is our currency, our DNA... Our God.”
"We control the World."
"We provide the blueprint. And we give the Instructions."

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

win 7 32bit; also have a 3.11 on ibm laptop a brick and 10 64bit on an external drive, but I'm hardly ever reaching for these atm

tried linux several times in the past for stuff, though mostly launch-from-cd versions and I was too much into gaming then to stick to it. maybe some dual/triple boot with it sometime if/when I need a new laptop

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts

I would like to throw in a brief correction -- what you are referring to as Linux is, in fact, GNU/Linux. The system as a whole is basically the GNU system, with Linux added. When you're talking about this combination, please call it ``GNU/Linux''. Below is a short excerpt from an essay on the subject matter, written by Richard Stallman:

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called ``Linux'', and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called ``Linux'' distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

[...]

Today there are many different variants of the GNU/Linux system (often called ``distros''). Most of them include non-free software -- their developers follow the philosophy associated with Linux rather than that of GNU. But there are also completely free GNU/Linux distros.

Taking all of that into consideration, I personally use Arch GNU/Linux. It's very minimalistic and lightweight, while still being bleeding edge and covering all my power-user needs. It's also hard to install, which keeps novices away from the community.

Edited by 101010, 20 November 2016 - 01:38 AM.

The opinions expressed by this user are solely their own and do not express the views of Batoto and its staff.

Cloggedone

Cloggedone

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Locationindiana, us

I would like to throw in a brief correction -- what you are referring to as Linux is, in fact, GNU/Linux. The system as a whole is basically the GNU system, with Linux added. When you're talking about this combination, please call it ``GNU/Linux''. Below is a short excerpt from an essay on the subject matter, written by Richard Stallman:

Taking all of that into consideration, I personally use Arch GNU/Linux. It's very minimalistic and lightweight, while still being bleeding edge and covering all my power-user needs. It's also hard to install, which keeps novices away from the community.

Bad habit, apologies.

I was on Arch for a while, but I just got into Overwatch, and I decided my desktop is more comfortable for gaming. Unfortunately, Overwatch and Linux do not work at all, and I don't feel like setting dual booting right now.

I liek flowers

I liek flowers

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
Meh, how long did it take you to install arch Linux? I'm not a college student with days to waste just to troubleshoot why drivers don't work, and the speakers/wi-fi is broken. Windows 10 spies on you, but at least it works out of the box and you can be productive without troubleshooting.

Natureboy

Natureboy

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdeep in the forest

Yes.

The Windows boxes have been upgraded from 7 to 10, which broke my audio editing software and workgroup file sharing to the non-windoze devices. Finally got file sharing working—sort of—but had to set access permissions to be more insecure than I'd like. The old Dell laptop is running an Ubuntu LTS release. Wife has iOS on her iPad and my Kindle runs an Android derivative. Also had my main desktop was set up to boot GNU/Linux in a virtual machine, but haven't put in the effort to get it working under Win 10. I assume that the cable DVR from Verizon has a linux kernel in there somewhere, although it and the Kindle really don't have much that's user serviceable/configurable so the OS doesn't matter much.

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

Oh man... I decided to try dual booting Linux Mint on my Windows 7 laptop... Maybe Daktyl or mhh or Gendalph will remember this moment of my life. I never really liked my laptop because the wifi adapter was poor, the 17.3" screen was difficult to find bags for, and the perfectly flat and thin keys were difficult to type on, but this event just made me think that computers are sentient... and can have personality disorders.

First of all, I created several carefully apportioned partitions, as guided by numerous instructionals online. I used the windows tool, and I named them very intelligent things like "Linux OS" and "New files". This was on a laptop that already had some confusing partitioning, but basically two 500GB disks partitioned into acting like 4 250GB disks from the factory.

So then I run the Mint ISO off my USB, and in the install screen, lo and behold none of the carefully created names show up. Well instead of trying to guess where I wanted everything based on the size, I just chose an option to put everything in one of the almost unused partitions of almost 250GB and I figured I could sort it out later. (I just wanted to see and use Mint for a bit, even if I changed it later.) And it worked, and I had some fun customizing a desktop and such, never mind that the OS was on the same partition I would likely use for files.

Well a couple days later I need to use Excel, so I go back into Windows. OR NOT. CAN'T BOOT WINDOWS. Can't remember the exact error message, but it was a scary one. Safe mode same problem. Luckily I can still get back into Linux and access all my files, and the freeware knockoff of Excel sufficed for my project that day. But this needed to be fixed ASAP.

I asked lots of people for help; tried a bit, and a few people gave me some ideas on the Linux help IRC channel, between scoffing at screen caps of my partitions and laughing their butts off at the thought of me overwriting my boot drive (which I did NOT do, listen to me when I ask for help in the help channel ugh). Eventually one guy tried to help, but after spending several hours discussing why Linux was showing me different numbers and sizes of partitions than what I remembered from Windows and then walking me through some processes which I don't remember anymore, he did the internet version of shrugging and moved on with his beautiful, technologically coherent life.

On my own, I tried several boot managers, almost every windows recovery tool, asking my computer nicely, and fiddled with a bunch of BIOS options I really probably shouldn't have. Over the course of about 8 months, I just accepted the fact that I dun goofed.

Eventually, I copied the entire partition containing my OS onto a new partition in preparation for a master boot record recovery, and on a whim I decided to launch the clone OS of Windows that was recognized by the boot manager, AND IT WORKED. I don't know how. I don't know. I don't care. It worked, and I could play my games and use my office applications. And for the next maybe year and a half, I just used a computer that gave me the 5 options from boot - two identical Win7, one of which actually worked, two identical Linux Mint, both of which worked, and a Mint safe mode. Also, it recognized Mint as Ubuntu but don't tell me the actual reason why I don't care my computer works now.

After working through a few attempts and errors that made it look like it wouldn't work, Windows 7 even upgraded to 10 for free (on the old partition), and that's the current state of my laptop at the boot menu: a working Windows 10, a Windows 7 that I think doesn't work anymore but I never actually tried to work past the error message, a non-working Linux Mint (don't know why), a working Mint, and a Mint safe mode I still haven't tried in all this time. After all was finished, I learned a whole lot about FAT32/NTFS, partitions, and how operating systems work in general. I barely touch Mint anymore; the whole fiasco has turned me into one of those people who leaves applications open all the time and doesn't organize his desktop properly, and I feel a primal fear to never shut down my computer just in case everything blows up again. 

tl;dr I would like a new laptop.

blue.monday

blue.monday

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts

Win 8.1 because I play games (more or less) and cannot be arsed to even think about WINE (<- it more or less allows you to play Windows games on Linux), maybe upgrade to 10 if I reinstall to finally get rid of my damaged and most likely compromised system. Yep, apparently you can still upgrade if you load a rather new build ISO of 10 or so (source: major German PC forum I am browsing) without using some morally meh exploit. Last time I used Linux was 10 years ago probably Debian on a productive system. I want steam to empower Linux so that I can switch to some generic distro without being forced to use SteamOS. I would use Linux if I did not game...

Edited by blue.monday, 20 November 2016 - 09:53 PM.

-fail

-acquire experience

-use experience to improve behaviour

-succeed
---------------------------------------------------
"The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to such a pass that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love, and in order to occupy and distract himself without love he gives way to passions and coarse pleasures, and sinks to bestiality in his vices, all from continual lying to other men and to himself."  --  Fyodor Dostoyevsky

science hasn't gone far enough  I  Wat zullen we drinken

SNMS6

SNMS6

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationBogor , West Java , Indonesia

Mac OS X El Capitan , Sierra have tons of bugs "and AI Improvement" which is sadly counter-intuitive ...

20801.jpg

19.jpg

Luka Ko

Luka Ko

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Locationmy Bedroom

My laptop doesn't really like linux distros, or rather my graphic card doesn't. Also sometimes it won't boot...

I really love them, especially Antergos (arch with a graphical installer) but... I'm back on windows 10... If I ever buy a thinkpad, I'm gonna make it run on some ubuntu or any fork that just works. Gotta try to install Gentoo one of these days.

BamDamBoom

cnonn

cnonn

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

I'm using gentoo.

Natureboy

Natureboy

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdeep in the forest

I am a window but when I stand where I block someones line of sight, I'm told that I'm a better door than a window.

Faederwulf

Faederwulf

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 54 posts

I dual boot Linux and Windows.

Final_Boss

Final_Boss

Fingerling Potato

• Project_FinalBoss
  • 80 posts
  • LocationOver there