Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Is TNG a sequel?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Jaded

Jaded

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southeast US.

Chapter 1, page 15 in particular, alludes to what looks like a major story in itself that took place directly before the opening of TNG.  Afterward, there are lines here and there but little more attention is given to it. 

Can anyone familiar with the LNs tell me if there is a prequel out there somewhere?

The DCG

The DCG

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 58 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas USA

I don't believe it is a sequel, rather, the "death game" (SAO style) Shin was trapped in before the main plot of TNG opens is just background.  "The New Gate" itself may refer to either the gate that opens when he defeats the "boss," or perhaps another gate that might be in the world that may take him home.

You can read the LN here: https://shintranslations.com/the-new-gate-toc/.  I've read the first three volumes, and there is no indication that TNG has another story (of the death game) before it.  That doesn't in any way rule out the author writing a prequel, but I believe it's currently the end-all and be-all of it's story arc.

Greenstalker

Greenstalker

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

There is a side story at volume 5 that shows some events happened before death game so I don't think there is a sequel but there will be more side stories about before and during death game era.

Senevri

Senevri

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

It's basically a Sword Art Online alt-universe fanfic. 

lygarx

lygarx

Potato

• Members
  • 170 posts

It's basically a Sword Art Online alt-universe fanfic. 

well you can say the same about sword art online being a dot hack alt universe fan fic 

Chris_Pirtle

Chris_Pirtle

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

well you can say the same about sword art online being a dot hack alt universe fan fic 

well you could say that all stories are alternate reality fan fictions XD

BraveDude8

BraveDude8

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

There's no prequel, the LN reveals more information about the events prior to the start of it as you go. You're not intended to know the backstory.

Glad101

Glad101

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

The Light Novel ends at volume 10.  The Web Novel continues though from Volume 11, which is a prequel that starts from when the death game began. I have not checked in a while, but I think the WN is up to Volume 13.

I am hopeful that the LN also does the same thing.  It is a bit better written than the WN.

BraveDude8

BraveDude8

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

The Light Novel ends at volume 10.  The Web Novel continues though from Volume 11, which is a prequel that starts from when the death game began. I have not checked in a while, but I think the WN is up to Volume 13.

I am hopeful that the LN also does the same thing.  It is a bit better written than the WN.

I believe there's 16 volumes of the WN, and I'm also pretty sure it's ended. The LN should cover the same events.