Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Question about copying and modifying another groups scanlation?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

FredFriendly

FredFriendly

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 7 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

I have been trying to find an answer to this question, and the closest I have come to is:

Don't steal others' releases. Do not upload material with inaccurate credits. Particularly, do not claim that you worked on a project when you have not.

Although this is not exactly what is happening, I wonder if this policy still applies.

The specifics are that, without permission from, or bothering to contact in advance either the carolusmengus or fredfriendly scanlating groups, the Last Heaven Fansub group has been copying, then modifying our uploads of Koi Inu to batoto. A quick look at the 2nd page of Last Heaven's latest release makes absolutely clear that this is what they are doing.

A clarification of the policy on this issue would be gratefully appreciated.

-FredFriendly

http://www.fredfriendly.com

Edited by FredFriendly, 11 November 2016 - 09:57 PM.

Akilovescookies

Akilovescookies

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 36 posts

I have been trying to find an answer to this question, and the closest I have come to is:

Although this is not exactly what is happening, I wonder if this policy still applies.

The specifics are that, without permission from, or bothering to contact in advance either the carolusmengus or fredfriendly scanlating groups, the Last Heaven Fansub group has been copying, then modifying our uploads of Koi Inu to batoto. A quick look at the 2nd page of Last Heaven's latest release makes absolutely clear that this is what they are doing.

A clarification of the policy on this issue would be gratefully appreciated.

-FredFriendly

http://www.fredfriendly.com

What exactly are you referring to with '2nd page'? I was curious about your issue and checked it out. They have left both names (carolusmengus and fredfriendly) credited on their last page. So -being an outsider- I'd assume that what they have been referring to with TL, CL, TS and QC revolved around the process from English to Spanish in which case, they do have the right to claim credit. I see why you might feel slighted but I don't think that they meant any harm on their side and did even actively try to credit you in their own way. Normally messaging the group and asking them to clarify their credit page should do the trick.

While I, too, think it'd be better if they asked you permission first, you can't exactly complain that they did not mention your part in the scanlation(, because they did on the last page). It's not good manners, granted, but they did not try to "steal" anything from you. (Which I would define claiming the credit for the J-> E process, which they did not do.) So the sole error I see on their side, would be the understated/confusing credit page. Which I do not believe they did on purpose. So why not just ask them to edit their credit page to "J->E: carolusmengus and fredfriendly" and "E-> ESP: ....".

I've found some Spanish translations in the past that were re-translations from English ones taken from another site. Even though in most cases it wasn't even one of my own translations I ended up contacting the groups about it in private, because I believe the original translators should be credited, and have found, that in most cases they simply forgot/did not think about the original J->E process or that the translator did not mention where he got the thing from. So one nice mail and apology later, they fixed the credit page to name the ones responsible for the J->E translation. Misunderstanding solved. Drama avoided. :)

I hope my experience helps you out a bit. I'm sure they did not set out to purposely aggravate you.

Edited by akina., 21 November 2016 - 02:55 PM.