Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

PageTurner: Of Myths and Monsters

magic manga PageTurner monsters self-published indie crowdfunded American author artist

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

PageTurnerComics

PageTurnerComics

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationEast Chicago, Indiana

Hey guys! Andrew Herrera here, author of a manga currently in its infancy here on Bato.to; PageTurner! I've been a fan of video games since before I can remember, with my earliest memories being learning to read in order to beat The Legend of Zelda, a fan of anime since I was 10 years old watching subbed VHS's of Dragon Ball Z and a fan of manga since Borders Books began carrying it in the early 2000s, spending money I made from birthdays, holidays and working to buy at least one new volume a week. PageTurner is a love letter to all of the people and ideas that shaped and influenced me. It originally began as a book series. With a book and a half completed and literally 0 views after a year of self-promotion, I decided on a format change and found an impressive artist that would become a great friend in Jeff Santos, who I met on an indie manga forum. PageTurner also represents something new in the field of representation. I live in East Chicago, a bustling, rowdy suburb of Chicago, and all of my life I've met, befriended and experienced life with people of all sorts of different racial, cultural and even sexual identities. I myself am a blend of Native American, Mexican and Romanian (which means if I held the cultural wrongs of the past against others, I'd have no option but to hate myself for multiple reasons). You begin to realize that there's no such thing as good and evil, only people doing what they believe is right after having experienced life the way they experienced it. In order to show this as well as make sure that characters are unique and well-represented, most characters in this story are based on real-life people I've met and who read the comic, with the option of letting me know if they disagree with something always open to them. I think it's a cool way of ensuring a diverse and relatable cast. I really think that if you give it a try and watch the story unfold, you'll see that there's something really special here. This universe has been painstakingly and methodically worked out and planned over almost a decade and a half. I'm not delirious, I'm aware that (here at the beginning especially) there's going to be grievances over everything from the pacing to explanations of the world's mechanics, and I've chosen to post this thread not only to promote my comic but also open up to you, the readers an open way to ask questions or make suggestions. No "This sux" or "get gud", please. Make actual suggestions and state your reasoning. In return I'll try to tell my tale in a way in the most worthy way possible. Thank you for reading both my comic and this post. If you'd like to contribute, please visit our official site at PageTurnerComic.com and give our Patreon and merchandise a look :)