Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

A question about translating

translation help question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

belkrax

belkrax

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 10 posts

So i ve been thinking of translating a manga to spanish and posting it in here. The thing is, to use that id use the english translated pages that are posted in the site already by translator groups. Is that allowed? Or should i look for original scans somehow?

Sorry if it is a dumb question.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

No, it's not  a dumb question at all. There are plenty of works translated that way.....some don't think it's right to do it, I guess mainly because of the increased chances of there being mistranslations/misinterpretations.......but I at least personally don't (under normal circumstances) have a problem with it.

As far as I know there's no specific rule here against it. I'd guess there's a huge amount of the works here already that have been done just the same way... and yeah, the most common would be taken from the fan-scanlated English versions to some other third language (counting the original Japanese), though to English from fan/however-scanlated Chinese is also pretty darned common in my experience........some of those Chinese groups put out a massive amount of translated-from-Japanese manga/doujinshi, and that gives scan groups the increased options of trying to find either a Japanese or a Chinese translator  :)

Edited by svines85, 03 September 2016 - 07:28 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

(...) and posting it in here.

best course of action:
- message groups for permission to use their raws/scans (in addition to it being good manners and them possibly giving you access to their hq cleaned raws to make it easier for you, there are some groups that are not fond of scans they did themselves being reused or like to have control over retranslations of their releases and using such groups' scans without permission you risk stuff like scanlation drama or them requesting for your retranslations of their stuff to be taken down)
- leave their original credit pages in (in addition to any credit pages/notes you'd use) and/or mention it's a retranslation from group X in your credits

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

belkrax

belkrax

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 10 posts

Okay, thanks for the help a lot!

Id try contacting the group for their permission first. lll credit them anyways.