Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Does the anime and this follow the same plot line?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

rgzmann

rgzmann

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
If so what chapter does the anime end?

Lyendith

Lyendith

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

The anime more or less follows the events of the early volumes (up to chapter 31-32).

However, it also skips or changes a lot of parts, and some later chapters (like 50 or 66-67) are thrown in the middle. Also the last couple of episodes are anime-only.

Edited by Lyendith, 18 August 2016 - 03:14 PM.

AmuroNT1

AmuroNT1

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Like Lyendith said, the anime jumps around a little but is generally just the first 30-something chapters.  There is some fairly intelligent combining of chapters, IMO; one episode combines two similar stories that focus on Aizawa getting into danger because she's separated from her mech-suit, and another merged the two "competitions" Youko has with Akane.  They do have to pull some pragmatic adjustment because, for example, some storylines the anime uses came from after Rin was introduced but since she's left out of the anime they have other characters play her role instead.  The anime wasn't bad, it just focused a little too much on the comedy side and let the actual character development fall by the wayside...but then, that's distressingly common for this kind of series.

Lyendith

Lyendith

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

Well, it makes sense that it didn't focus much on character development… since it covers the early part of the story, before said development even happens (hell, most characters' development doesn't really occur before the second half of the series). It's more the way they handled the comedy that bugged me. The choice of combining some "redundant" chapters or gags into one was understandable, but I found the execution really sloppy most of the time. The only time they actually pulled it out pretty well was episode 4 with the "figurine" incident and its original conclusion, but otherwise what they tried didn't quite work for me.

The tone was often off too − I didn't feel that mean and sarcastic vibe that makes Jitsu wa's humour. Instead we had some overly dragged out gags (like the "sexiness competition" in episode… 7 or 8? I'm not sure) and some really childish sound effects.

…But that's another debate.

Edited by Lyendith, 25 August 2016 - 01:56 PM.