Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Writing Challenge II

writing challenge story submissions

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • LocationSint Maarten, Kingdom of the Netherlands
 Hello everyone, and welcome to the all new Writing Challenge!

This thread will be where we post the monthly challenges, and everyone's submissions. Discussions, comments, and all constructive criticism should be posted in the Topics thread for this writing challenge.

First Writing Challenge
 Theme: Relationship.
Stipulations: Primary characters should have super powers. Relationship ends in tragedy.

General Rules:
1.) General posting rules and guidelines apply: such as spamming, posting harmful material, ect. Click here to read more.
2.) Each challenge can last no longer than 30 days. The timer starts after the first submission has been posted.
3.) Any named characters must either be originals, well-know celebrities, or historical figures/free-to-use.

Challenge Specific Rules:
1.) For this challenge, writing style and length will be left up to the individual to decide.

Index

Edited by The Illuminati, 18 October 2016 - 05:16 PM.

“It's all about Power."
"Grabbing it. Keeping it. Using It."
"Power is our currency, our DNA... Our God.”
"We control the World."
"We provide the blueprint. And we give the Instructions."

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts

STUCK (Part I)

WE DROVE OUT of the city, south, towards white sands and the blue-green ocean beyond. It was late afternoon now and the wind had kicked up, puffing the trees overhead and the fields of grass on either side of our modest, little car. High above, clouds moved across the sun, sending a cold shiver down my spine, and I could smell rain and salt in the air. This was the most amazing feeling in the world -- it felt like home.

"See," Starlight said, sitting across from me. "I told you, you'd love it here!"

"Starlight" was my best friend and our driver today. Her eyes were blue with hair the color of smoke, streaked with dark gold. Her olive-colored skin was freckled and athletic. In her face was a brightness and youthful laughter that was almost too seductive. Her real name was Letty but we rarely used those anymore. Our aliases were just better indicators of who we really were.

In reply to her statement, I streched my arms languidly above my head with a yawn, before sinking deeper into my seat with a contented smile. I just loved being out in nature, or escaping the city for any amount of time really.

"I love it out here," I said sleepily as Starlight steered our car down a dirt road, through farmland and clusters of other private property.

"What can I say," she replied. "I listen when you speak."

She smiled as she spoke, causing my heart to leap into my throat and stay there. When she turned to look at me, I couldn't look away. So we just sat there, staring into each other's eyes for what felt like an eternity. The moment passed all too soon however, ending when her smile grew larger and a twinkle of understanding blossomed in her eyes. Blushing madly, I quickly turned to look out of the car window as anxiety twisted itself into knots in my belly.

She just laughted good-naturedly as she adjusted the rearview mirror, muttering the word "adorable" under her breathe, causing my blush to deepen. Looking behind her through the mirror, she asked the other two passengers how they were doing. Sitting directly behind her was Starlight's boyfriend, a gorgeous man with dark skin and muscles. He was tall and looked like one of those Roman, marble sculptures. Everyone called him "Roman" for another reason but that was mine. Behind me sat "Bunny Girl", she was the youngest of us and loved music more than anything else in the world, to the point that she walked around with her headphones always on.

Roman signaled he was okay with a thumbs-up as he recored our trip with his camcorder aimed through the window. Bunny Girl just shook her head as she drummed with her fingers on her knees.

"I think they're having fun," Starlight whispered to me, laughing again.

Off in the distance, silhouetted against the blinding shimmer of the sea, was a three-story, purple-colored house with dull, yellow tiles surrounded by palm trees. The owner of the house, our boss, had invited us over to spend the weekend, along with a few others from within our small community. We had no idea what, or who, to expect but I had prepared for the worst and brought along a nice, thick book just in case.

To Be Continued...

“It's all about Power."
"We control the World."

Mors

Mors

Potato

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSupra

The Widow's Kiss

A kiss woke me. A kiss pulled me from the dark depths of my dreaming. Lips touched mine, and lost as I was, I knew her.

“Lyra?” I called out her name. But someone else answered.

I opened a bleary eye and found myself staring out at the setting sun, the sky aflame beneath pouring clouds. A guard sat close by, sharpening his hatchet with a sandstone. Another stood a little way off where the cave dropped away, watching the sun go down, or pissing, or both. Their leader seemed to have disappeared, probably to check on his men. I struggled to get up, only to find my arms still bound tight behind my back. It was slowly coming back to me now. The bandits, and the ambush.

“Seth.” A dark, seductive voice. Lilith stepped from the shadows of the cliff. They clung to her, dark webs, not wanting to release their hold. She pulled clear as the sun kissed the horizon. She fixed me with eyes that held no color, only passions, set in Lyra’s narrow and exquisite face. Oil-dark hair framed her, falling in unnatural coils and curls. She wore Lyra’s form, had her face, her long dark hair, yet no one would mistake her for human. That is, if anyone besides me could see her.

Lilith stood behind the nearest guard, looking down on the dark mass of his hair and broad shoulders as he tended his weapon. “Well this won’t do at all, Seth.” She leaned to peer behind me at my hands, wedged behind my back and the rock. “The legendary Hollow Man! The Queenslayer! The Devil of Perdition Road, tied up!”

I couldn’t very well answer her without drawing unwanted attention, but I watched, filled with the dark excitement her visits always provoked. I knew she wasn’t Lyra, that she was just just an apparition born to torment me for my past sins, but seeing the world when she stood in it just took the edge off everything and made life seem simpler. I tested the bonds on my wrists. Still strong. She made life simple…but not that simple.

Lilith set one bare foot on the helmet the guard had set beside him, and laid her finger against the side of his head. “If you launched yourself at him and struck the top of your forehead against this spot…he would not get up again.”

I gestured my eyes towards the other guard, just ten yards down the slope.

“That one,” she said “Is standing next to a fifteen foot drop…How quickly do you think you could reach him?”

I gave a soft grunt in reply. Under normal circumstances, I would’ve argued it was impossible. I also wouldn’t have the nerve to try it, not even to save my own miserable life. But with Lilith looking on, an ivory goddess smoking with dark desire, a faint mocking smile on perfect lips, the odds didn’t seem to matter anymore. I knew then how Lyra must have felt when she battled with Lilith beside her. I knew an echo of the reckless spirit that had filled her when the night trailed black from the edge of her blade.

Still, I hesitated, looking up at Lilith, slim, taut, wreathed in shadows that moved against the wind.

“Live before you die, Seth.” Lyra’s last words, spoken in her voice. I looked into her eyes, whose color I could never name, and they filled me with unholy joy.

—-

It was not until three hours later when the bandit leader returned to the cave with the rest of his crew. There were maybe a dozen in total, all armed and sharpened by their life in the Wasteland. They stood around the body of their comrade, or rather, the body of their comrade stood around them, hacked into several pieces. “He’s escaped!” the boss growled, “Fan out and look for him!”

“Oh, there’s no need for that,” I called out to them, stepping from the shadows. I tossed something at them, and one of the bandits caught it - the head of the other one they left with me. He quickly dropped it in disgust. 

“He’s crazed!”

“You made a mistake. Once you found out who I was, you got greedy, wanted to turn me in for my reward. But you should’ve killed me when you had the chance.” I walked towards them. Several backed away, without knowing why - the instinct that removes the sheep from the wolf’s path.

“Pull together !” Their leader said. “The idiot is trapped in here with us.”

I gave them a sad smile, “So much in life is a matter of perspective. I rather think you’re trapped in here with me.”

—-

A kiss woke me. A kiss pulled me from the dark depths of my dreaming. Lips touched mine, and lost as I was, I knew her.

“You aren’t Lyra.” I said to her, though perhaps it was more towards myself. “She’s gone. You’re nothing but a shadow.”

She stood their smiling. Even with so many bloodied corpses strewn around her, she looked beautiful. “No,” she admitted. “But I’m all you have.”

a6f4b732-ee1c-43f9-a007-079ff2b01822_zps

"The sun is new each day."

Emerald39

Emerald39

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 317 posts

The Emerald Chronicles (Part 1)

Chapter 1: Subjugation

Earth, the Green Planet; it was so young, so innocent. In our schooling we learned absolutely everything about it: its vast continents, expansive seas & millions of life forms. I always thought it was so incredible how much this small space rock had achieved in 4.4 billion years. Little did I realize how close I would become towards it.

In a faraway galaxy, beyond Andromeda, beyond the Medusa Cascade, lies my home planet of Gemstania. It was a very unique planetary phenomenon; with a creation date estimated to be about 7 billion years ago, a distant circular orbit from a massive star, and a rectangular prismatic structure, no scientist could comprehend the support of life on its surface. However, they were proven wrong, and so Gemstania flourished; the unique areas of the planet formed, with roaring oceans, searing lava flows, rocky earth, blooming plants, and even whispering plains. From the first life forms to my own time, it had become a very tranquil and powerful planet, filled with many different species, and also many different races, including my own.

Each race had control over specific elements; the Rubefecians controlled fire, the Jethestras controlled metal, the Topasirozarens controlled electricity and earth, the Amethevitras controlled psychic power, spirits and darkness, the Sappherisens controlled air, water and ice, and the Jadelfiers controlled plants and organic toxins.

On the other hand, I was part of another race, one that exceeded all others: the Emerald Royal Family. This powerful group not only was placed in charge of the other races, without protest, but also could control every element of every race, including the rare elements of light and pure emerald. Everyone was at peace and was living prosperously, but then everything changed.

Just 30 million km from Gemstania was a moderately large spaceship; but it was no ordinary ship. It was the battleship of the legendary Vitrolax, the dark leader of the planet Vidraxis. The legends told of him as a skilled swordsman who destroyed his own planet out of rage, and then vanished into the cosmos to learn how to control fate; but no one thought that he existed, or that he would return.

On the spacious bridge of the cosmic brigand, he sat in his command console at the back of the room. He had a rippling body of dark matter, triangular golden eyes and a left hand sheathed in metal. His mythical sword leaned on the wall next to him, his purple cloak wrapped around it.

One of the pilots turned to face him and reported, “Targeted planet inbound, Vitrolax. ”

Vitrolax’s eyes gleamed golden as he heard the news. “Are we within range?”

“Affirmative,” the pilot replied.

Vitrolax rose from his seat and walked towards his sheathed weapon. “Excellent. Activate the transmitters.”

The pilot returned to his console. “Yes, my lord.”

Vitrolax put his cloak on and, holding his sword in his other hand, stroked it with his steel claw. “Soon, the new fate will be sealed. Be prepared, Prince Emerald, for this peaceful day will be your last.”

At the time, I was in my private chamber of the royal palace, preparing for the celebrations. It was an important day for me; not only was it my birthday, but I would commence training tomorrow. I would finally learn how to use emerald energy, after 14 years of waiting. I would be the final member of the family to master it, as everyone else had learnt it much earlier. I wore my royal robes, the official prince’s crown and a long flowing cape around my shoulders. Mother had let me keep my hair spiky, but she insisted that my diamond-shaped eyes be outlined and the emerald in the middle of my forehead shined.

I didn’t consider it that important. Every Gemstanian had a gemstone located there; the only differences were what gems they were and their shapes. The Rubefecians had a triangular ruby, the Jethestras had a tear-shaped jet, the Topasirozarens had an oval topaz, the Amethevitras had a circular amethyst, the Sappherisens had a square sapphire and the Jadelfiers had a spiral jade piece. The Emerald Royal Family had a diamond-shaped one, as if a third eye; they considered it as a mental eye, watching over the universe and the planets contained in it. Me, I only considered it as a variation of a common trait that all Gemstanians had. My only interest in that area was of the insignias, which were unique to each Gemstanian. The patterns and combinations interweaved from the original ancestors and their descendants were so fascinating to me, with their intricacies and rune-like qualities. When the celebrations had ended, I planned to create a system to profile these insignias and use them to trace back our nation’s history; I could even discover when in time our different races branched off from each other.

As I was readjusting my cape, Emerina barged through the door. She was also a Royal Emerald, and my elder sister; she was the busiest in the family, and assisted Father significantly throughout the palace.

Her breaths were heavy as she spoke. “Brother, I have bad news. We are under attack; the Amethevitras are marching in military formation towards the palace and one of the observatories has spotted a battleship in orbit around the planet.”

I jolted. “A revolution? What could have happened?”

The reply was sudden. “Calm yourself, brother; it’s not a revolution. We believe the orbiting ship is behind this assault.”

As calmly as I could, I asked curiously, “Did they provide a description of this ship?”

“Yes,” she replied, and her eyes widened. “It had a purple-black appearance and bore an emblem of a triangular golden eye.”

The information struck me like a mason’s hammer. “But that’s impossible; he’s just a legend.”

“Or so we all thought, brother.”

I had no time to lose; I flew out the door and straight to the throne room. Mother and Father were there, sending messenger orbs at maximum efficiency via the large windows. They were both dressed in their royal outfits, just as surprised as I was by the observations.

I walked up to my father. “I presume you have received the description from the observatory.”

My father laughed. “That I have, son. You’ve been informed as well, then.”

“Indeed,” I replied. “But that can’t be possible; he’s a myth. He is a myth, right?”

Father turned to me. “From our observations, he’s more than just that.”

“Father,” I reported, “I also heard news of the Amethevitras attacking. Do we know why?”

Father replied, “We believe Vitrolax is using some form of primitive mind control. The Amethevitras had always been fascinated with understanding the powers that the former ruler had during the thriving of Vidraxis, and so constantly tried to harness it from the planet’s remains; they eventually managed to command darkness at a reasonable level, but then he simply used an unknown form of darkness to command them.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. “Why is he attacking? What could he possibly want?”

Before my father could reply, the castle walls rumbled. Small stones fell from the ceiling and some of the windows shattered. I had no idea what had struck the palace, but at the time it didn’t matter to me.

I gritted my teeth. “That bastard is destroying our home, our people’s homes, our entire planet! I’m not going to let that happen! I’ll fly up to his ship and kill him myself!”

But before I could take flight, Father grabbed me. “Don’t do that, Emerald. You cannot defeat him, and if he kills you, he will have accomplished his goal.”

I looked at him, perplexed. “What do you mean, I cannot defeat him? That he’ll succeed if I die? I am a Royal Emerald, aren’t I?”

“There’s no time to explain now,” Father said calmly. “All will be made clear in the future. Now go, follow your mother to the emergency capsule; I’ll handle Vitrolax.”

I landed in front of him. “If you have time to handle Vitrolax, then you have time to answer my questions. Why can’t I fight alongside you? What information are you hiding from me? Where is the pride and courage that our family has upheld since the first king was inaugurated? I will not be left in the dark while you can see the light! SO ANSWER ME, DAD!!”

Father crouched down so that his eyes were level with mine and he placed his hand on my shoulder. “Emerald, there’s no time; you must escape this place.”

“No,” I replied, placing my hand on his shoulder. “I will not leave your side; this is my fight as well, and I refuse to run while our people suffer.”

My father sighed and stood up. “Then I am sorry for what I must do.”

He held out his palm towards me and I started to feel drowsy. I tried to stand up, but within 10 seconds, I had fallen on the ground in front of him, unconscious.

I awoke in the capsule launcher, ready to be fired. I frantically looked around and saw my mother programming the co-ordinates in.

“Mother?” I said. “Where is Father?”

Realizing I had regained consciousness, she turned her head to face me and told me, “Your father is … dead.”

This shattered me. “What?? I thought he said he could handle any evil, including Vitrolax.”

She somewhat calmly replied, “He has become much stronger; he is now a larger threat than we had originally thought. That’s why we must launch you far away from here, so that he may never find you.”

I couldn’t believe what I just heard. My mother, my own mother, was forcing me to leave my whole world behind, all because of that vile creature that is Vitrolax. My whole world seemed to collapse around me, and the walls shook in agreement.

Shocked, I yelled, “You can’t just send me away from here! If Vitrolax discovers my departure, he’ll destroy this entire planet!”

I tried to lift myself out of the capsule, but Mother gently held me back.

“Don’t be afraid,” Mother replied. “I will prevent him from damaging our home. Gemstania shall live on after him.”

I held back tears as I struggled to move. “Please, let me face him, challenge him to combat. Even if I lose, I know he will be obliterated by one of us.”

“Sweetheart,” she said, a single tear streaking down her face, “You have come so far, but we are doing this for your own good. Only you can defeat Vitrolax, this much we know; and no matter how separated we are in time and space, my love will always burn for you inside.”

She stroked my cheek as she spoke this. A diamond tear crawled across my face. “No… I can’t do it… maybe you could…Emerina could…”

She kissed my forehead. “Never fear, my dear son. For I know that you are capable of purging any evil, no matter how wise or great. Now go, and know that your parents’ love and hope for you will shine forever among the stars.”

Those were the last words I heard her say; as Vitrolax appeared in the open doorway, she slammed her hand down on the panel, and the capsule launched into the distant outer realms of vast space. The last image I saw before my vision blurred from the acceleration was my mother, crying as Vitrolax’s sword stabbed through her crystal figure, her hand still on the launch panel.

As galaxies whizzed past in a blur, even in my stasis form, I thought for certain that Gemstania would be no more; I only hoped that wherever I ended up would be for the best.

Chapter 2: Impact

2,500 (human) years passed, with no sight of me ever landing on a single planet; I did not age, however, due to the stasis of my body. The Medusa Cascade was a smudge of light from the capsule and Andromeda was a red blur, and then a blue blur as I passed it. The chance of impact became more promising when the capsule was pulled in by another galaxy, the Milky Way. For years I had wondered why it was named that, but now I comprehended why. The capsule ended up in the spiral arm of Orion, and then into a cluster of unique planets, some of which seemed familiar. I landed 28,000 light years from the galaxy’s centre, on a mysterious blue-green planet.

From first observations, I saw it’s cloudy atmosphere and vast oceans, much like on Gemstania; and I saw its solitary moon and spherical shape, nothing like on Gemstania. I felt as though I had read about it somewhere, but my mind was still hazy. As gravity caught the capsule and brought me towards the surface, it started to combust and heat up; but I knew that nothing would happen, as it was built to withstand supernovas and meteor strikes, or even the Big Bang, should I have been flung through space for long enough. I landed on an island continent, with a curvy shape, a small southern island, and a significantly larger northern island.

Crashing into an arid region, my arrival was discovered almost immediately by strange creatures in a nearby town. They looked eerily familiar as well, with pinkish-white skin, elliptical eyes and unique clothing. By nightfall, the capsule was surrounded by thin metal fencing and flooded with lights shining from metal cylinders. Still unable to move, in my mind, I feared the possibility of being despised by these alien beings; they may be sentient, but they may not be accepting of other species. A lot of intelligent species are like that; believe me, I know.

As time passed, many more of these two-legged quadrupeds came to the site, with flashing lights and metallic telescopes. Some wore white coats, and were the only ones who were allowed within the fenced-off area. Every time, they would bring some strange device and then proceed to try to break through the capsule layers. How oblivious they were to its godly strength.

The planet’s days were incredibly short compared to Gemstania’s. Day and night interchanged very rapidly, with each cycle lasting what felt like seconds. I thought that the remainder of my life would be spent here; how wrong I was.

The foreign sun was overhead, and the white-coats were attempting to penetrate the capsule again. However, not all of them were occupied with the machine, as one of the creatures was standing away from the group, staring at me. Her eyes were level with mine, and I stared back, fascinated by her cold gaze. Something must have caught her eye, as she then approached the capsule. I was surprised as she reached out toward the capsule and lightly touched it. The moment she made contact, green electricity burst forth and shocked her; I presumed it must have been a built-in failsafe. But to my surprise, the capsule deteriorated and my body fell to the ground, inanimate. The world turned black around me due to the broken stasis. 

I came to quite quickly. I was unsure how much time had passed, but I estimated several day-night cycles. Upon further observation, I realized that I had been transferred to somewhere else. This place seemed more technological, with concrete walls, a coloured flooring and a strange rectangular object set into the wall. A band was around my arm, which was connected to another smaller rectangular object, but this one displayed something in green light. A weird line moved up and down, and a sound transmitted each time this occurred. I exited what appeared to be a bed, and advanced towards the rectangle in the wall. A button press activated the device, which was projecting images and text, both of which seemed familiar to me.

Looking around, I noticed another bed alongside my one. Contained within was someone I thought I would never see again: Emerina. What a relief to see that she had survived.

She also had a band attached to her arm, which was linked up to a separate monitor. Removing her from the bed, she was still wearing her royal robes, which were the same as mine. But that didn’t matter right now; I needed to figure out our current location. With my arm securing her around the waist, I busted out of the room and flew within orbit of the planet. It was then that I realized where I was; after years of learning about this place, I had finally reached it: Earth, the Planet of Hope.

As I admired the view of it from my position, Emerina awoke and, startling me, silently screamed in fear. The telepathic communication from her was unordinary. Where am I? What’s happened to me? How am I breathing in space? Am I dead?

I tried to comprehend her reaction, and then I reached the conclusion that this may not be the true Emerina. She might look like her, but potentially be an entirely different being. In order to quell her fear, I flew back down to the planet’s surface and pondered as to what to do with her. Releasing my grip around her waist, I waited until she appeared to be in less distress, and I calmly asked, “Madam, may I inquire as to who exactly you are?”

She responded in a nervous manner, her legs slightly shaking. “Eil … Eileen … Eileen Gillespie … human … female. Please … please don’t hurt me.”

I was astounded; how could a human such as her have been converted into a Gemstanian like myself?

Acknowledging her fear, I said, “Eileen, please remain calm. I am not going to hurt you; I am simply leaving to find assistance with this planet’s authorities. Hopefully, they will be able to help you recover from this incident.”

She looked at me, her eyes frantically staring at me, then ran to my side and clutched my arm. “No, don’t do that. Just leave, hide; if he finds you with me, he’ll torture you for the rest of your life.”

I stared back quizzically. “If who finds me?”

Before she could reply, a large group of humans emerged from nearby; they wore a green uniform, and carried metal weapons. I guessed that this must be the ‘army’ that the human tribes possessed, and that I must have trespassed onto their land.

Eileen watched with panic as they marched towards us. I could feel her grip tighten. “Run; I am telling you, run. You can’t negotiate with him.”

I was confused by her words. “Who’s ‘him’? How can you say that I can’t reason with this person?”

She began, “Because…”

I missed what she said afterwards, as something heavy hit me in the back of my head. Dazed, I fell to the ground, perched on the edge of consciousness. I realized that I shouldn’t have let my guard down before I had even negotiated. The last words I heard before I blacked out came from Eileen: “No…father…”

The room I woke up in was not as pleasant as the previous one. It was a dank metal box with strange instruments lined up along the side. While I was out cold, I had been clamped to a giant table. That was all I could see before he came in. The human male appeared to have some form of high authority, and judging by his attire, I assumed he would have been the ‘general’ of that militia that attacked us. He looked rather old, with a grey moustache, wrinkled face and weary blue eyes.

I tried to liven the mood a bit, as he looked rather aggravated. “Ah, you must be the general. I was rather astounded by the prowess of your army, if I may say so, sir.”

“Quiet, you freak.” His voice was gruff, and as cutting as steel. He turned away and grabbed one of the implements off the wall. “Now then, freak…”

“I have a name, you know; it’s Emerald.” I was getting rather sick of him calling me that.

“Ok. Now then, ‘Emerald’, we can do this the easy way or the hard way. What have you done to my daughter?”

Confused, I replied, “Huh? Your daughter?”

“Yes, my daughter! Because of you, she’s no longer human; she’s … one of your lot. So answer my question: what have you done to her?”

He was close to losing his cool, so I tried to figure out whom he was referring to. Then it occurred to me: that girl.

I inquired, “Wait a minute; is your daughter called Eileen?”

That question caught his ear. “Yes, that’s her name: Eileen Gillespie.”

After he said that, all the pieces came together. “Oh, so that’s who you’re talking about. I’m not entirely sure what’s happened to her, but I believe that the capsule had a genetic seal embedded within; so when she reached out and made contact, her entire genetic code was transformed from human to Gemstanian. Although I don’t understand why her appearance was completely changed, including her face.”

Having taken all of this in, the general juggled the object in his hands and responded, “Ok, then; if that’s what happened to her, then maybe you can change her back.”

I knew that I couldn’t, so I told him. “Unfortunately, I am unable to perform that kind of action.”

He didn’t want to hear that, which explains why he then tried to crush my fingers with what appeared to be a hammer. He obviously didn’t know about the elemental defense mechanism that every Gemstanian had, and so the weapon passed through without damaging me.

His temper flared. “That’s not what I want to hear. Your people did this to her, so you can change her back.”

To surprise him even more, I floated straight through the clamps and sat on the edge of the table. “I’ve told you, I can’t do it. If any of my family was still alive, they’d be able to restore her, but I haven’t acquired that power yet.”

“YOU LIAR!” In rage, he grabbed something resembling a sword and swung it at me. It passed straight through without harm, and in retaliation I morphed the blade into water, which splashed onto the ground.

I said calmly, “General, I am not lying to you. Some processes in nature cannot be reversed; this you should understand, being a well-ranked fighter. In my current state, I cannot do anything to make her human again; but that doesn’t mean that it’s impossible. There is a chance that my family was capable of reversing the genetic seal; so if I do figure out how to in the future, I promise that I will restore her for you. This I promise you.”

I held out my hand to him, and he reluctantly shook it. “You better not be lying to me, or there could be a bullet through your brain.”

I chuckled. “Don’t worry; I always keep my word. Now, on to more pressing matters, I need to speak with all the international generals.”

He looked at me quizzically. “Why? Is something coming?”

I replied, “Not something, but someone.”

I sat in the head seat of the room. With me were General Gillespie and all the other generals from around the world. I got up and addressed the gathering:

“Good afternoon, gentlemen; as you would have been notified about, I am Prince Emerald. I have gathered you all here because of an entity that threatens this planet, this universe and myself. There is a cruel dictator of dark matter, by the name of Vitrolax. He is currently chasing after me to kill me, for what reason I do not know. He will stop at nothing to achieve his goal; he will even obliterate entire planets to get to me. I do not wish to have innocent people killed any longer, so I propose to apprehend him here; we can make this planet the final frontier in this struggle for survival. What I require from you generals is simply surveillance: maintain observation in your respective countries and notify me if Vitrolax appears. I am not certain about when he will arrive, but I would estimate within a month. You people will be crucial to preventing this corrupt leader from slaughtering millions, so I am heavily relying on you. I care about the safety of the people as much as you do, and so I will ensure that minimal casualties are sustained. We will bring this tyrant to justice, and with your help, that can be swiftly achieved. Thank you for your time; meeting adjourned.”

Edited by Emerald39, 23 September 2016 - 05:20 AM.

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • Locationin Oblivion, checking out the tapestry.

Tears of a Thousand Suns

Verse I - Stone Rose

It was a particularly chilly morning, a dreadful wind blew strongly as it pierced inside bones and could cause serious damages. A lone man stood alone in a snow-covered graveyard, lost in his thoughts as a cigar hung from his maw, his rustled hair gave him that appealing yet distant look. He had the air of a man in deep sorrow, as he looked on lovingly at the gravestone in front of him, on it words were written of his lost love. The one he had sought over millenia and the one he'll start seeking again.

Not today though, today was a day of remembrance. Those that didn't believe in afterlife were simply ignorant to its existence. But Walter Heinrich Samuel knew very well that it existed, for it had kept him going all these years. Though, he was certain that he'd find his lost love again in a different shape and form, still the pain of bereavement was soul stirring. Abigail McNielson was his life, or his purpose so to say. It had been more than a decade since she had died, a sacrifice to the new world order.

The state of affairs post Geneva Concorde when Homo Superior finally came to terms that the Homo Sapiens were deadset on their elimination. What followed was an occurrence unseen in the history of the planet, a holocaust so large that when the Haiti Pact was signed the opponents were reduced to a mere ten percent of their original strength. The humans conceded Earth to Mutants and went to live at Apollnius, while the Mutants conferred and decided to abandon the wasteland that was Earth and relocate to Titan. Since then the world had been largely a wasteland.

Our hero stood at the edges of what was once Manhattan, looking at the grave of his beloved. The words etched on the gravestone still brought back memories, a glorious lock of fiery red hair and a smile that would put the sun to shame. He slowly took a drag to finish the last bit of his cigar, today was her birth anniversary, she had often told him that she found his cigar smoking rather sexy thus to oblige her love he did it. 

A coarse, brawny hand gently cleared the fresh snow from the gravestone as he looked and smiled at it one last time, the indents on it sending a little shiver down his spine as he remembered her. He'd come back again next year, till then it was a goodbye. He turned to walk out calmly, wiping tears that had somehow found their way on his rough visage. All that was left, were a bunch of beautiful scarlet red roses not found on this planet anymore and the lonely gravestone.

~Here Rests "Firefly" (Abigail Joanna McNielson), 1994-2026, Vibrant and Ephemeral like an Ember, A Leader, Defender & our Guardian Angel~

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Emerald39

Emerald39

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 317 posts

The Emerald Chronicles (Part 2)

Chapter 3: Assimilation

It was a few days after that meeting, and I was standing outside a government building in New York. I was waiting for Eileen and her father, who were finalizing her identity change. I had been kind of against this when she first suggested it; but it would make her happier than she currently was, so her father arranged this with a government friend of his and was told that he needed to sign the finalizing paperwork in person.

They were in there for about half an hour, until the front door finally opened and she jumped down in front of me. I asked, “Did they finalize it?”

Her response came quickly. “Yep. I’m now legally registered as a relative of yours.”

I exchanged glances with her father; we were both unimpressed, but had to accept it. I stared at the ground in reluctance.

This caught her attention. “What’s wrong? Is there something on your mind?”

I sighed and raised my head. “I just feel uncomfortable about this; I mean, you’ve now technically stolen her identity. How am I supposed to move on from this, knowing that the real one is dead?”

The new Emerina put her hand on my shoulder. “I know I’m not going to be the perfect sister that the real one was; but this is the best decision in this situation. Think about it; would you rather have a different identity attributed to her, or the same one?”

I placed my hand on her shoulder. “Honestly, I’d rather that there wasn’t another replica of my dead sister; but I guess it would be better for you to use her identity.”

She then shoved me back with her hand. “Then it’s settled; let’s return home.”

As Emerina ran on ahead, I sidled up next to General Gillespie. I muttered to him, “Are you sure this is a good idea? This could mean trouble later.”

His response came quick. “Trust me, I was just as insulted as you when she asked about it; I was gonna refuse it at first, and keep my word steadfast. However, she’s been through so much lately that I just couldn’t; besides, look at her.”

We both stared at Emerina, who was energetically strolling down the sidewalk with a massive grin on her face. She turned back to us. “Come on, guys, keep up! It’ll be sunset when we get there at this rate!”

I wiped away a stray tear from the side of my eye. “You’re right, Gillespie; perhaps it was for the best.”

He smiled back at me and slapped me on the back. “That’s the first time you’ve ever said that, eh? Come on, our home awaits.”

With that, he marched forward at a rapid pace, exaggerating his arm motions. Emerina laughed as she looked at him.

I grinned for what felt like an eternity as I took flight and followed them. “You’re pretty slow, old man; pick up the pace!”

It was now nighttime, and I was sitting on the roof of the apartment complex that the Gillespies lived in. It was fairly tall, with about 50 floors and a dazzling view of the city from above; their apartment was on the 43rd floor, facing Central Park. I looked up into the night sky, amazed by the way the stars shone in the dark abyss; they were like sentient souls, refusing to die, illuminating the heavens with their determination.

I heard a door open behind me; Emerina was in front of it. I smirked. “Can’t sleep?”

She nodded. “Yeah. Dad’s sound asleep, but I can’t seem to drift off.”

I laughed. “I had a feeling. It was bound to take some time for some of the Gemstanian qualities to affect you.”

She raised her eyebrow and walked towards me. “You mean you know the reason for my insomnia?”

I gestured to sit alongside me. “Of course. You see, since we are essentially infinite sources of energy, sleep is not necessary for us; neither is any form of consumption.”

Emerina looked down at her stomach. “But I was feeling hungry when we walked back home.”

I placed my hands on my knees and looked up. “Like I said, it takes time; not all qualities will kick in at once.”

She sighed. “So what’s on your mind? I mean, after all that’s happened to you?”

I replied, “Not much; to be honest, I’m actually surprised at how well I’ve assimilated into your society. I was expecting a lot worse.”

She smiled. “Well, that’s humanity for you; we’ve come a long way since the olden days, and now we are more accepting of others. Or most of us, rather.”

I nodded. “I’ve also been thinking, this isn’t the best place for me to live; so I’ve decided I’m going to build one.”

Emerina looked back at me. “Why? What’s wrong with our apartment?”

I answered honestly. “For what I must achieve, and for my own knowledge acquisition, I require a base of operations that’s more technologically advanced and spacious.”

She looked up at the sky. “I can understand that; wanting to escape this small and noisy place. But where would it be located?”

I turned to look at her. “Well, I was thinking in the air.”

She turned to face me. “That sounds awesome; can I join you in that new base?”

I laughed. “Of course; you are now my own flesh and blood, after all.”

Emerina laughed. “And now your sister, too.”

We both laughed at that, and then I suggested, “Should we plan it now?”

She nodded. “There’s no better time like the present. I’ll get a pencil and paper.”

I waved my hand in front of me and formed them both out of thin air. “No need. I’ve got some right here.”

She was amazed. “Nice trick; wish I could do that.”

I smirked at that. “Oh please, you’ll be able to do that and more once I’ve taught you.”

She grinned at the thought. “Well then, let’s begin! This will be the ultimate base!”

Within a few days, the base was completely constructed and fully operational. It took some time, as Emerina and I had to manually build it; but we never had to worry about running out of materials.                                   The interior was very intricate, and the propulsion mechanisms were powerful and durable. The central room would serve as a multi-purpose changeable room, with a glass-walled corridor surrounding it; in one corner was a communication tower, the opposite corner a direct escape hatch, and finally a viewing bay in between them.

The two biggest arguments to arise during the design and construction stages were related to its name and the propulsion mechanisms themselves. I originally wanted to call the base Emerald Palace 2.0, but Emerina said it was too militaristic; she preferred a name that would also be homely, considering it would serve as our accommodation, so we eventually decided on the name Emerald Cottage. As for propulsion, she wanted to use powerful jet engine rotors, but I was concerned that they would require constant maintenance, so I suggested to use Sappherisen gemstanite; we eventually compromised by using the jet engine rotors, with the gemstanite as a backup system in case something were to happen.

We moved in as soon as the final rivet was fired in, and powered up the engines. The metal behemoth ascended into the air and reached its resting altitude within minutes; the skybase now levitated in the air 50,000 feet above sea level.

Emerina and I immediately tested everything: the morphing room, the communications array, the escape hatch and the viewing bay. All were in perfect condition and at full functionality. I spent most of my time either in the viewing bay or on the roof of the base; it opened out onto the blue expanse of sky, a strong hue of empty air. Occasionally a cloud would pass by, like an airship on a gentle cruise, and I would feel the urge to circle it. I could then shape it to my own designs if I so choose, but not always. Sometimes, their natural beauty was perfection enough for me.

As I began to settle in to our new home, I remembered that I had to teach Emerina, so I searched the ship. She was already in the changeable room, which had been set to the laboratory; she had safety glasses on her head and a quarantine hood being decontaminated.

I said, “Can you refrain from that for the moment? We need to begin your training.”

She glared at me, but returned to her usual calm demeanor. “Sure.”

With that, I pressed my hand upon the panel. The room immediately began to morph: the lab benches became wooden columns, the marble floor became that of logs, and the roof adopted a thatch texture. Within seconds, the space had metamorphosed into a dojo sparring area.

I stood in position at one end and pointed to the other end. “Stand there.”

She walked to the other end and stood in position. “So what are we starting with?”

I hesitated. “Well, here’s the thing…I don’t know how to teach this. My best guess would be to link the elements to emotions, in order to start the process, so let’s start with fire.”

Emerina contemplated this, and then nodded. “I can understand that; emotion is quite a powerful entity.”

I nodded. “Well then, let’s begin. Try to conjure a flame in your hand using anger.”

Her forehead furrowed in thought, then flame appeared from her arm. “Nice; now how do I launch it?”

I was hesitant. “That we’ll have to figure out over time. First, I’d thought we assign an emotion to each element, and then figure out the rest from there.”

Her brow furrowed in thought again. “That makes sense. Well, sadness would be water, insanity would be toxins, and fear would be darkness, but what would be electricity or plants?”

I smiled. “Only one way to find out.”

She smiled back at me. “Indeed…by the way, as a biologist, I have just one question: how on earth does all of this work?“

My smile faded, and I stared at her in uncertainty. “Pardon?”

She held up her still-burning arm. “This elemental conjuration; how is this kind of matter and energy manipulation possible?”

I thought for a moment, and then clicked my fingers in remembrance. “From what my people learnt through their research, the cells that comprise the gemstones generate specialized proteins, which can convert any kind of matter or energy into a specific element, like catalyzing a substrate into the desired product. They’re constantly within your visual physical form, and can be distributed further out into the atmosphere at the will of the individual. How these enzymes themselves have acquired this power, we are unsure; but they have become one of the most vital parts to Gemstanian wellbeing.”

She pondered this information for a while, and then looked back up. “That’s fascinating; I should do some further research on those proteins. Anyway, that’s something for later; for now, let’s start training!”

The sun had receded beyond the horizon. I had called the training for today, but not for the silent night. I was sitting on the roof of the Emerald Cottage, admiring the spectacle of the sky in front of and above me. The cosmos glinted in the dark abyss of space, and the constellations began to visualize themselves before my eyes: Aquarius, with its arms outstretched towards its non-existent water pot, Libra, its scales tipped on its side as usual, and Gemini, its curved shape shining bright.

Suddenly, I heard the escape hatch open up beneath me; it was no guess who it was. Emerina landed behind me and walked towards my hunched figure. “Long day, huh?”

I chuckled as she walked to the right of me and sat alongside. “No; lot on my mind right now.”

She looked at me with concern. “Still thinking about home?”

I sighed. “Yeah…I feel like it’s all my fault.”

She placed her hand on my back. “Why would you think that?”

I turned to her. “The timing of the attack, the protectiveness my family had of me during it, the use of excessive force to subdue me; all of these seem to point to me as the cause.”

She stared up in thought. “I can understand that, but there was surely a sound reason as to why they did all this.”

I looked towards the earth and thought it over. “It must have been a prophecy.”

Emerina looked back to me. “Did your people believe in them?”

I nodded. “They were not like the ones that humans mean by prophecies. These prophecies are discovered through advanced prediction across the universe using light patterns and soul resonances. Only the king would acquire that skill for the sake of the people.”

She comprehended this. “So you think a prophecy caused all this?”

I shrugged. “It’s the most likely answer.”

Her question was immediate. “But then how would Vitrolax have known this?”

I calmly replied. “Gemstanians aren’t the only species capable of this. The Vigras were well known for their prophecy readings. He probably heard about it from some other prophet.”

I lay down on my back and stared into the cosmos. “I feel so alone here; apart from you, there is nothing and no one left from my home planet.”

She lay down next to me. “Well, that’s to be expected. After all, you have been here for two weeks now.”

I sighed. “I wish I could go back; I wish I could return to the only home I’ve ever known, the only place that feels normal to me.”

A tear plinked off the roof, startling Emerina. “Well, maybe you could rebuild your home.”

I sighed. “It wouldn’t be the same; it would be empty, lifeless and uniform. All the other races are extinct; there’s no point to rebuilding a home for the dead.”

She picked up the diamond tear and spun it between her fingers. “Well, you could consider making Earth your home.”

I laughed. “I wish I could, but I don’t know anything about this more modern society. The earth I saw from back home was 10 million years in the past.”

She perked up suddenly. “You know, I majored in Biology and Geography at the University of Chicago. I could show you all about this world and tell you some of the more interesting biological and geographical stuff.”

I thought about it for a second. “Okay then; since we don’t need to sleep, how about I train you during the day, and then you teach me about Earth during the night?”

She jumped to her feet. “Sure; then let’s start now.”

Suddenly, Emerina grabbed my hand and pulled me down through the atmosphere into the oceans below. As we fell, I was warm with happiness; perhaps this lifestyle wouldn’t be so bad.

Chapter 4: Emergence

It was three weeks after that day. It surprised me that so much human time had passed, yet at this point only 1/10 of one Gemstanian day had passed. It took me a while to get used to this. Emerina had quickly learnt how to conjure the elements, but mastering its manipulation and use in combat was a longer process. She had currently mastered control of 10 of the 13 common elements, and was close to mastering psychic power when the alert sounded. That dreaded sound signified the appearance of that fierce, cruel warrior king: Vitrolax. I flew out of the training room, past the laboratory, and into the communications room. I answered the alert, and General Gillespie’s face engulfed the screen.

“General,” I said, “Nice to see you again. So you’ve located him?”

He replied calmly. “Indeed, Emerald. He is currently rampaging through the centre of Chicago; I’ve sent our two best snipers over to contain the situation, but they won’t be able to hold back all of them.”

I nodded. “Understood, General. Emerina and I will be there shortly.”

Terminating the transmission, I dashed back to the training room. “Emerina,” I said, “Your dad found Vitrolax; he’s been found in Chicago. We need to depart immediately.”

She dropped the block of concrete she was telepathically holding. “Ok, let’s go. And then afterwards, you can continue experimenting with emerald energy?”

I frustratingly replied, “Ok, but only if you stop nagging be about it. You have been doing that since we both moved into this place.”

She nodded. “Fine. Now bring on the chill; Chicago awaits!”

We arrived to a sight most horrible. The centre of the city was filled with weird humanoid entities, with Vitrolax floating above them; the ground was stained with the blood of the innocent.

I made contact with the two snipers Gillespie mentioned. “Gem to Scope. Requesting current location. Over.”

The reply was immediate. “Scope to Gem. I am currently holed up in nearby skyscraper. Barrel is located opposite. Have sights aligned on the target. Over.”

I formulated a plan within seconds. “Gem to Scope. Wait for my signal, then open fire. Over.”

There was a pause, and then he radioed back. “Scope to Gem. I have relayed this to Barrel. Both of us are wondering what the signal is. Over.”

I didn’t even need to think of my response. “Gem to Scope. You’ll know it when you see it. Out.”

I killed the communications and, steaming, blew my cover and slammed down in front of Vitrolax.

His black-slit eyes focused on me. “Ah, Emerald; you have arrived at last. I knew that this would get your attention; a massacre draws you Gemstanians in like a moth to a light. Now for you to understand the truth about fate’s power in this world. Soldiers, attack!”

Upon quick examination, I noticed that the ‘soldiers’ were comprised of dark matter, but it wasn’t dense enough to protect them from the main elements. I gave the signal, and the bullets rained down on them, but were surprisingly ineffective.

I turned to Emerina. “You ready?”

Fire burst forth from her hands. “Oh yeah, I’m ready.”

We separated and each took half of the soldiers. I surrounded my half with fire, and then created a tornado to isolate them in a pillar of fire. Distracted, I slashed some of them in half with a razor vine, struck others with sections of the blazing tempest and finished the rest off with a barrage of icicles.

Canceling the cyclone, I saw Emerina effortlessly annihilating the entities. Most of the soldiers’ corpses were disintegrating into wisps of dark matter, but some were scaling the skyscraper that Deadeye was hiding in. Leaving Emerina, I fired off a downpour of psychic bolts, and then cascaded their impact sites with lightning. The side of the skyscraper lit up from the tesla wall that resulted, but the soldiers had managed to reach Deadeye; he was slaughtered in mere seconds. The rage flaring like a bushfire, I launched them into the air with the rubble from the building, held them in front of me with telekinesis and obliterated them with slashes from toxic claws.

With burning hate, I turned towards Vitrolax. “You just killed hundreds of innocents, and my friend; that’s not a safe place to stand. I will hold nothing back to ensure retribution for your crimes.”

Vitrolax chuckled to himself. “Soon you will understand, Emerald; these people were simply a means to an end.”

I retaliated, “An end that you will never accomplish! Emerina, let’s do this!”

Floating back to my side, Emerina got into position for a dual elemental maneuver. Separating again, I generated a cyclone of rapid-flowing water around Vitrolax, while Emerina struck the top with electricity. We both entered the sparking aqueous pillar; what we found was astonishing. Vitrolax was now floating there, without a scratch on him; even his cloak was unscathed. I set my fists ablaze, Emerina synthesized an ice sword, and we charged with full force. Slashes and strikes were blocked and traded, but as hard as we tried, nothing was damaging him. Then a realization hit me.

While the battle continued to rage, I communicated with Emerina. We can’t damage him; I think we don’t have the required powers to. For now, we should encase him in ice and throw him into the lake; that will stall him for some time while we work on learning this power.

She telepathically replied back. Understood; we’ll head back to the Emerald Cottage after this.

As Emerina exited the twister, I compressed the rushing water around Vitrolax, and then transformed it into ice. After flinging the now-frozen warrior into the chilly waters, I heard footsteps behind me; it was Deadringer. His appearance was more disheveled than I had imagined: cold green eyes, thick brown hair and a poignant expression.

He looked at me with interest. “I saw the whole thing through my binoculars. What happened in there? Why didn’t you kill him?”

His voice was very fatherly, which brought a tear to my eye. I replied, “I’m not ready. No matter what I struck him with, he remained unharmed.”

I sat down at the lake’s edge, and Deadringer sat next to me. He put his hand on my shoulder. “Why do you say that you aren’t ready?”

I was unsure myself, but then it occurred to me. Why on that day did the attack happen?

I explained, “Vitrolax attacked my planet on my birthday. After the celebrations, I was going to begin my lessons in learning to harness emerald energy. Maybe he attacked then because only the emerald energy can harm him; that way he could continue to try and kill me without fear of death.”

Deadringer took this all in, and then suggested, “Well, maybe you could try to teach yourself to use this energy.”

“I could try, but that would take months or even years.”

With that, he stood up and looked at me with a courageous expression. “Then I vow to help you in any way I can whilst you learn to harness this emerald energy. My brother was killed in that skirmish, and I will avenge his death by destroying that tyrannical swordsman alongside you.”

He held his hand out to me, I grabbed it, and he pulled me to my feet. I responded, “Well then, allow me to give you something in return.”

It took two weeks, but I completed it. As payment for his help, I constructed a weapon for Deadringer; a sniper rifle powered with gemstanite, able to fire any element at the user’s digression. With this, he would be able to damage the infinite number of soldiers Vitrolax had without any issue.

During those weeks, we had two encounters with Vitrolax’s soldiers; the first was only four days after the first attack. I was training Emerina in the final element she needed to master, which was light, when the alert came through. I ran to the communication room and answered the call. “General, what’s the situation?”

General Zhang Jun’s deep voice came through. “Emerald, we’ve got a minor attack taking place in Beijing’s central metropolis.”

I stared at the monitor in confusion. “What are you defining as a ‘minor attack’?”

His response was direct. “I mean that Vitrolax isn’t present at the target area; only his soldiers are there, and they’re destroying everything along the main road.”

I was surprised. “Okay; we’ll arrive shortly.”

I ended the call and flew back to the dojo. Emerina was trying to apply her light as a combat aid, which I had shown her just a few minutes ago.

I signaled to follow. “We’ve got a minor attack in Beijing to resolve.”

She canceled the light. “What do you define as a ‘minor attack’?”

I was blunt about it. “Vitrolax is not there with his soldiers.”

As we walked to the escape hatch, Emerina was curious. “Has he ever done this before?”

I thought about it briefly. “Never; according to legend, he would never ignore a conflict, nor would he let others fight without him present. He was always the one leading them into battle; guess things must have changed since then.”

She nodded. “Guess so; now, let’s go help China.”

Arriving at the scene, the walls of the nearby skyscrapers were ridden with claw marks, slashes down into their foundations, and fragments of dark matter billowing from the cuts. The soldiers themselves were gathered in a circle formation on the main road, as if planning something.

I established communications. “Gem to Scope. Requesting current location and any observations. Over.”

Response came quickly back. “Scope to Gem. Have taken post in the building to your right; I’ve got eyes on you and the target. Suspicious circling movement, but other than that, they just tore through the city like razor blades through paper. Over.”

I considered my options. “Gem to Scope. Engage the targets on my mark; try to clear an opening into the centre. Over. ”

The link was silent for a moment. “Scope to Gem. Understood. Awaiting the signal. Out.”

With communications severed, I discussed with Emerina. “What do you think they’re doing in that formation?”

She observed them and gave a suggestion. “They’re either summoning something, or gathering dark energy for combat.”

I returned with a suggestion. “What if we use some flame to interrupt their little ritual?”

She shrugged. “Wouldn’t hurt to try.”

As we were discussing this, an ectoplasmic film of darkness began to form within the soldiers’ circle. I pointed it out and suggested a new plan. With Emerina agreeing, I unleashed a column of magma from below, she launched a tesla strike from above, and Deadringer’s shots were dissipating the soldiers. However, the dark ring did not break; rather, the energy seemed to be absorbed into it.       I was unsure about what happened, but then I remembered: black holes.

As I realized this, the soldiers began to sink into the film, like melting wax, slow and liquid. Once they had been assimilated, the dark matter rose and took a spherical form; it seemed to have a liquid viscosity and an unusual transparency about it. Emerina and I stared, wondering what this thing was.

I turned to her. “So, any guesses?”

She looked at me, looked at the sphere, and looked back. “Does it remind you of some sort of metamorphosis?”

I nodded. “But how did the elemental attacks have no effect? That concentration of dark matter was not strong enough to be unaffected.”

Suddenly, the spherical dark matter began to change shape. Curved horns began to form, eyes of fire emerged from its head and a muscular build adorned the figure. Within seconds, the beast had formed: a Minotaur of flame and thunder.

I stared in disbelief. “Oh, they used the absorbance power of the black hole to fuse our elements with it.”

Emerina laughed. “How pathetic; they couldn’t even use their own power to fight us.”

I shook my head. “Not entirely; it’s actually really clever. They could merge the dark matter’s power with the fire and electricity.”

She nodded. “Ingenious, but still very deadly. We need to kill this creature quickly.”

I looked towards the enemy. “Agreed.”

In an instant, I flew directly towards it, as swords of water and stone began to construct themselves in my hands. I slammed into the beast with a metal-reinforced head-butt, knocking it slightly backwards and onto its back. With both swords now completely materialized, I jumped back and began to spin rapidly, the two blades pointed upwards in a V formation. As I accelerated the rotations, the central area between the swords began to generate a gyrating tornado of rock and water. That was her cue.

Emerina flew forward like a human spear towards the humanoid bull, and as she neared me, I surrounded her with the earthy aquatic twister. Her attack slammed directly into the Minotaur’s face, and continued to drill into its dark head. Its clawed hands tried to grasp the outside and pry her away from it, but the whirling rock-aqua mixture shredded the hands into black flaming wisps.

Suddenly, the beast’s tactic appeared to change: it regrew its hands, created a solidified cylinder of darkness around the elemental hurricane and started compressing the space within it.       Fortunately, I was relieved to see Emerina fly out of the end within seconds and land alongside me. I watched as the dark matter cylinder compacted into a handle, before the Minotaur slammed one end into the ground below and pulling out the main axe head, crawling with magma and lightning, condensed inside a reinforced stone shell.

I looked into Emerina’s eyes and offered the stone sword’s handle. “How do you feel about taking down an opponent together?”

She laughed as she grabbed the earth blade. “Sounds good to me.”

With some quick telepathic planning, we each took one side of the massive highway, and planned a dual wield. My second was of air, hers of plant. Our charge was synchronized and in bilateral symmetry as we approached the now-armed monstrosity. I launched a flurry of strikes at its left leg, while Emerina was attempting to literally dis-arm the beast. However, the leg wounds blasted back at me with a flare of magma, forcing me to retreat a bit; and the arm acted like a tesla, pouring lightning from the multiple lacerations and compelling her to keep at a distance.

Clearly realizing our maneuver, the Minotaur cut its own leg off with the fire side of the double-sided axe, and its arm with the lightning side; both regrew instantly from the stumps, and the elements that those dismembered limbs contained were absorbed. With that, it slammed the axe handle into the road, releasing a wave of inferno and electricity from its epicenter.

It struck us both, and we felt the burning shock course through our bodies into our gemstones; even my very soul was shaken by it. This creation needed to be eliminated immediately.

I linked minds with Emerina and informed her of my observations, as well as a revised plan. She nodded, and held out her swords in preparation. Suddenly, the swords made a small transformation, with the stone blade now broken up into fragments and the plant one sporting an extendable thorn-covered vine. I also changed mine to fit their new purpose; the water sword had begun to release liquid water into the air around it, and the air one started to generate a tornado around the blade.

We hovered to the required level, but did not plan to move from our positions. As if on cue, our combination attack began. Emerina’s plant vine was striking the lightning portion of the head, along with the projectile stones that were hurled as she swung the other; meanwhile, my water aura had ensnared the flaming side in an aqueous whip, while multiple air slashes struck the glowing stone exterior. The assault continued, until a crack began to form on the side, pouring out the two elements; and then in a final strike, both she and I flew forward diligently and smashed the rock blades to pieces using a dual slash from the swords.

With only its dark matter remaining, the Minotaur roared and swung its remaining staff at us, but to no avail. With our backs against each other’s, we interlocked fingers to make fists, and then spun into the beast until the darkness was shredded and dissipated. Once it had all finally disintegrated, Emerina and I inspected the damage. The buildings had massive cracks along the walls, and the main road was beyond repair.

I turned to her. “Well, it appears that Vitrolax’s soldiers have been experimenting a bit; they are beginning to evolve their tactics.”

She grinned, and punched the air. “Then so should we. Let’s get back to work!”

The second attack happened almost a week later. At this point, most of our time was focused on meditation in order to discover emerald energy skills, with the occasional nights of earthly tours. At this point, we had only discovered three passive abilities: physical healing, rendering entities unconscious, and creating light barriers around areas. They didn’t seem too useful, although we did agree that they’d prove useful in reducing civilian casualties.

The alert sounded, and I immediately snapped out of my meditative state and flew to the room. The screen came to life as I answered. “Emerald here. What’s the situation?”

General Janosh Horvath’s fatherly voice came through. “Hi Emerald, there was a strange sighting of Vitrolax’s soldiers in Páty, about 12 km outside Budapest.”

I nodded to myself. “Did the boss himself turn up?”

There was a slight hesitation. “Not that I’ve heard; I mean, considering he dropped out last time, it would have been the first thing to be told if he was present.”

I nodded again. “True. We’ll be there in a moment.”

His reply was instant. “Okay. Good luck.”

He was always my favourite general; he actually seemed to be the only one with a personality that wasn’t like a brick wall.

I returned to Emerina and snapped her out of her meditation. “We’ve got a soldier infestation in Hungary. You up for it?”

She got to her feet. “When am I not?”

I pointed to where the hatch was. “Then there’s no time to lose; time for a fight in Páty!”

The sight of Páty was even worse than Beijing; the old architectural buildings had been left scarred by the slashing of the soldiers, and the gravel roads beared the marks of their distinctive footprints. The soldiers themselves had gathered at a rounded dead end, surrounded by green plains and a few residences, and were performing the same ritualistic setup; surprisingly, though, no film had been formed as of yet.

Emerina and I observed this from afar, high above the scattered village. I spoke with Deadringer. “Gem to Scope. The soldiers’ actions are more suspicious than our previous encounter; what’s your distance on them? Over.”

The reply, as usual, was instant. “Scope to Gem. I’ve got a 500m gap between the soldiers and me. Any ideas? Over.”

I was unsure, so I suggested a more radical strategy. “Gem to Scope. I’ve got an idea, but it’s a more experimental concept. Let me strike the first blow, and if there are any survivors, take them down. Over.”

I heard his laugh ring through. “Scope to Gem. That’s an interesting one; let’s hope it works. Out.”

I killed the communications, and Emerina looked at me. “You sure about this? The attack might be too obvious.”

I laughed. “If they had kinetic vision, then it would be. Besides, we have our support from Miles; nothing can go too wrong.”

She sighed. “You’re right. Let’s do this.”

With that, we simultaneously made our moves: I slammed down in the center and released spikes of stone from the earth below them, whilst Emerina struck from the sky with an assault of expertly aimed psychic bolts. The soldiers swiftly dodged it, as if a natural instinct; not a segment wavered on their dark bodies. I looked around, and they all landed in synchronization; they looked like living statues, for their figures were more solid, and their eyes no longer glowed. When their shadowy feet touched the ground, they simply stood in place, motionless, as if lifeless.

I stared at this in disbelief. “Something’s not right. The synchronized motions, the husk-like appearance, the rigidity of their darkness: they all might be a single entity.”

Emerina stared at me with confusion. “Why would that be better? There would need to be a division in power for an entity to act as multiple bodies.”

I shook my head. “That’s where you’re wrong. Observe their eyes, no longer illuminated; at this point, they are just statues, dead beneath a hardy exterior. However, the entity is prevalent throughout them, floating among the ether that surrounds us. It’s like a puppet master, untouchable above the stage; and there’s only one way to take him out.”

With that, I fired an array of air slashes behind me, shredding the creature into small pieces of baseless fabric, cloaked in darkness.

Emerina observed this, and nodded. “Then let’s do it. You take half.”

With that, she launched herself with her foot at part of the shadow’s arc, leaving me to handle the rest. The eyes re-lit themselves; the game was afoot.

I attempted impalement with spikes, but the soldiers jumped back, as I predicted; with no way to evade, I then sliced through a few of them with palms of fire. The others were quick to react, and so jumped off one foot and slashed at me; I dodged their counter, but one glanced my upper arm. In retaliation, I caught them up in a psychic chain and eviscerated their bodies with a flurry of razor vines.

Most of my soldiers had now been destroyed, and Emerina was at the same point; the traces of venom and scorch marks were recognizable upon the earth. Suddenly, the remnants of our slaughter retreated back to a point, as if a signal flare had been ignited. Their bodies turned less corporeal, a mist of wafting shadow, which converged and morphed into a larger creature, resembling the original soldier.

I turned to Emerina. “Well, this is new.”

Emerina pointed at the soldier. “So is that.”

I turned towards the morphed creation, and noticed that the arms had retained some more non-tangential features. The solid aura fluctuated around it like flowing waves on a calm ocean, and the physical substance had become partially translucent. For a simple construct, this was an impressive ability.

I laughed as a massive grin spread across my face. “So Vitrolax has been experimenting further, huh? This should be fun.”

Emerina chuckled. “You enjoy this too much, don’t you?”

I didn’t even bother to respond; I launched myself at the shadowy titan, a fist girt in flame, and struck at the non-existent neck. It was knocked backwards instantly, but remained on its feet, flung back a few metres. Without hesitation, it jumped forward and swung its arm at me, morphed into a mighty double-headed axe; the light barrier was the only move that could block it. Most of the force was absorbed, but the weaponised arm broke through it, striking my right arm and rendering it unusable. I countered with a toxic roundhouse kick to the abdomen, which now began to slowly dissolve the dark matter of its body. The soldier was irritated, and so used its axe hand to separate its body; the legs disintegrated into ribbon wisps, which returned to the source and supported the upper body.

I laughed. “Oh, it’s clever. This fight just gets better and better.”

Emerina looked at me. “Indeed. Now let’s finish this.”

I nodded. “Agreed.”

In the blink of an eye, Emerina and I ran towards the beast from both sides. The soldier had transformed its arms to their original state, but appeared to grow long spikes; it retaliated with an extended arm strike, the aura-doused appendages flying towards us. Without losing speed, we dodged the attack, launched off the ground and shattered the intangible arms using the trapping power of ice; and, in unison, our psychic-powered fists collided with the creature’s head. The dark matter of its body was dented instantly, and lost all stability soon after; like ashes from a bonfire, the shadows scattered in the gentle wind, lost to the elements.

I grabbed my right arm, the pain beginning to arrive. “Vitrolax has vastly improved since he arrived; that new soldier landed a few powerful strikes on me.”

Emerina ran over and examined the lacerations. “Will they heal?”

I nodded. “Our emerald healing techniques can repair these within a few days.” I pointed at the wound. “But this, this is a sign, Emerina, this is a sign. Immortality is fictional; there is only pain, and mortality, and determination. If that creature had gone after you…”

The words became lodged in my throat; I couldn’t bring myself to speak nor think about that situation.

She nodded in understanding. “I know you’re worried about me, but have faith in me. I have trained under you, I have fought alongside you; I have even demonstrated my strongest abilities to you. So come on, arise and refresh; we must be prepared for anything.”

She held her hand out to me, and I graciously grabbed it. I lifted myself up off the ground. “Then let us return. Our foe has continued to experiment; we must overtake him in that regard.”

A week after the two separate attacks, another alert sounded; but this one was different to the previous ones. Firstly, Vitrolax was present with his soldiers, as the legend said; secondly, he wasn’t massacring anyone. According to General Gillespie, he was currently waiting for me in Manhattan. It seemed strange, but we responded and flew to his location.

I was feeling more confident than last time; after recovering from the last encounter, I had continued my experiments with harnessing emerald energy. So far, a few combat-like techniques had emerged, such as firing a beam of energy for a split second, creating manipulative light threads out of energy, and condensing the energy into small orbs of light, which instinctively orbited my left wrist. If I could strike him with any of these, then it would be possible to kill him.

The general was right; Vitrolax had blocked off all access to Times Square using his soldiers, and was just floating in the center of the empty plaza.

I had already contacted Deadringer and planned our first move, so I charged into the square and slammed the ground with an emerald beam. It converted into a shockwave and obliterated all of his soldiers; as they died, I converted the shockwave into a light barrier, formulating an enclosed arena for the conflict.

Vitrolax saw this and his golden triangle eyes glinted. “Well, well, well; you’ve been busy too, I see. You learnt to harness emerald power from scratch; but will it be enough to defeat my being?”

I cockily strolled towards him. “Well, why don’t we find out? Emerina, now!”

She launched over the top of me and fired a beam of solid ice, which passed through him seamlessly. While he was distracted, I quickly ran behind him and launched an energy beam. Unfortunately, my aim was slightly astray, and so it flew past him and singed his cloak.

He turned to face me, which was all we needed for Emerina to trap him in a psychic lock. I fired another beam, but he blocked it with his sword; it ricocheted off and pierced the sky.

The mental lock broke and Vitrolax rushed forward, swinging his weapon in a rapid and fluid motion. I dodged him and encased him in a sphere of stone, then launched the beam at it. The sphere exploded, but Vitrolax was unharmed; his metal claw had caught the blast. All the while, Deadringer had been trying to snipe Vitrolax, but bizarrely had also been firing at me as well; I dismissed the thought though.

Changing tactics, I created multiple energy threads from my hands, a thread protruding from each finger. Surprising Vitrolax, I used this to my advantage and grabbed his body with them, and pulled him forward. Emerina jumped in front and launched the beam at almost point-blank range; the sword again deflected it, but the energy transferred into the barrier. While she engaged Vitrolax, I extended a thread into the barrier, extracted this excess energy and created massive orbs within the other threads. Once I was prepared, Emerina jumped back and used the light strings to slam him into the ground; as soon as he impacted, I released the orbs by swinging the threads in an arc, and they exploded around him like grenades.

I floated down, and observed what I thought was unthinkable. Somehow, Vitrolax had blocked every single combat sphere and risen again without even a scratch. I was so infuriated, and, as a result, I completely lost all emotional control. My shout could be heard throughout the cosmos, and ripple the fabric of space and time; but the universal fabric was torn, forming a micro-universal void within my palms. Emerina stared in disbelief, Vitrolax stared in bewilderment, and Deadringer’s shots had ceased: all were mesmerized by the cosmic power that I now possessed.

Without any conscious control, I manipulated the stars within by means of emerald energy, encasing them and repositioning them to form a new constellation, in the shape of the old Gemstania. The energy generated by the stars began to encompass the entire structure, and then was released suddenly, unleashing a beam of more continuous and concentrated emerald energy. Vitrolax’s eyes showed minimal signs of fear, and so he dodged it instinctively; but the astronomical creation wasn’t fulfilled, and so amassed the energy again, traveled through the void until it was above him and quickly fired again. Vitrolax evaded again, but part of his cloak was disintegrated near his right shoulder.

Still unable to completely control myself, I tore the cosmic gate open further, forming a ring in front of me; as the fabric of the microverse was exposed, stars began to accumulate in the spaces and absorb the emerald energy. Once there were a sufficient number, the powered cosmic flame orbs unleashed themselves upon Vitrolax in a massive barrage; these were more advanced in their abilities, and so despite his shadowy swiftness, the speeding spheres continued to pursue. Even when he slashed through them, this proved futile, as the energy would simply reform around the fragments and multiply the number of projectiles.

Once he was cornered, though, Vitrolax released his hidden ace: the dark sword’s true form. The emerald stars were dissipated by its radiant power, and the very air trembled from the dark energy emitted; even the universal ether shuddered from the release. I formed a ring of emerald orbs and threw it at him, but it was no use; he seamlessly split it in half and stared me down as the explosive release occurred behind him. Emerina and I aimed and fired our beams to strike in the same place, but it proved ineffectual. I even attempted the constellational beam, only for him to deflect it using the side of the sword.

I closed the universal tear and telepathically communicated with Emerina. We need to pull out of this confrontation; this power’s on a completely different level. Deadringer, get out of your position and abandon the square. Emerina, help me distract him so we can retreat.

With that, she and I released a massive photon of light, illuminating the entire area and blinding Vitrolax: a distraction effective enough for our escape. As we left the conflict, only one thought in my mind remained: we would need to become a lot more powerful if we were going to defeat him. 

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts

STUCK (Part II)

NOW NEARLY WITHIN a stone's throw of our 'weekend destination', I decide to -- for what must have been the tenth time that day -- check my bag and make sure (absolutely and positively) that I had brought my book along for the ride. Part of me wanted to start reading it now, the other half was just exhausted from all of the nonstop blushing I'd done up until this point, and was looking for a way out.

It called to me, begging me to look inside itself. To thumb through it's pages and savour that new book smell. The thought alone made my mouth water with anticipation.

"Wha... Again?" Starlight asked incredulously, catching my movements out of the corner of her eye. Trapped, I quickly thought of something -- anything -- to do or say.

"Umm... No?" I said, closing my bag as stealthily as I could.

"No?"

"Maybe?" I asked in return, raising my shoulders and arms in exaggeration. This finally broke her down and reduced her to another fit of laughter.

"Oh, I just hate you," Star said between laughts as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

"Aww," I pouted in return.

"Well," she quickly amended. "I love you, but my make-up hates you."

Speaking of make-up, I decided to check and see if everything besides the basics where still in their rightful place. We were pulling into the seashell parking lot of the house now, the tires crunching and popping the sun-bleached shells for added effect. There were a few people standing outfront, using their abilities to unload luggage from their various modes of transportation.

A spike of nervousness ran through me then, piercing my stomach with anxiety. You see, while I knew who most of these people were and what they were capable of, they on the other hand had never met 'me' me before. The regular, boring me.

So, who was the 'real' me? Honestly, I still didn't know. And staring hard at the woman in sun visor's mirror, who scowled back at me in return, wasn't really helping much.

To Be Continued...

“It's all about Power."
"We control the World."

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts

STUCK (Part III)

WITHOUT MY PERMISSION or consideration, the world continued to spin and with it the late afternoon heat soon cooled into early evening. Just above, the clouds were slowly painted with a deeper shade of red to match the setting sun.

Seeing us arrive, our boss -- the owner of the house and the madman and financier behind this little party -- began walking towards us with his arms held high as he shouted his excitement, laced with some profanity. His appearance simply oozed with wealth.

"You kiss your mother with that mouth," I shot back rhetorically as he pulled me in for a chaste hug, before moving on to the others.

"Where do you think I learned it from," he joked in reply. His name was Clive Lancel: an European billionaire, business magnate, playboy, and private owner of the corporate-sponsored superhero teams, Vigil.

"You look good, by the way," Clive said as he ran his eyes over my body, mentally undressing me.

"Uh huh," I exhaled more than said as I ran to remove my luggage from the trunk.

I had wanted to keep my outfit simple, so I wore black jeans with a sleeve-less, blue top and black, lace-up boots. Star, not satisfied with my minimal efforts, insisted that she do my hair and make-up. Later, after spending too much time infront of a mirror, I added a gold, twist-chain necklace and a few bracelets to complete the ensemble.

"No really," Clive insisted while offering to carry my bags for me. "You're breathtaking. I never realised..."

"Perv!" Bunny Girl declared loudly, surprising everyone in the parking lot.

"Wha..?" Clive began.

"Give it up, old man," she continued, stepping between the two of us. "She's at least 100 years too young for you. Now grandmother, she's more your speed..."

To Be Continued...

“It's all about Power."
"We control the World."

Emerald39

Emerald39

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 317 posts

The Emerald Chronicles (Part 3)

Chapter 5: Lividity

It was two weeks after that attack. Emerina and I had undergone intensive training, which had been moderately successful. Emerina had mastered the remaining elements, and was currently attempting to harness emerald energy with me. She had already learnt the abilities I had uncovered, and we had been trying for days to increase our capabilities with it.

One day, however, I made an amazing discovery that would change everything: the power to genetically manipulate living organisms into other species. With this up my sleeve, I could potentially end this growing detestation once and for all.

I flew to the communications room and contacted her father. “General, I bear great news.”

His face appeared on the display. “This better be good, Emerald. I’m in quite a bad mood today.”

I calmly told him. “I have acquired an emerald power that is capable of making your daughter human again.”

His entire face lit up. “That’s excellent news! My life will return to normal again. So will you turn her back?”

I nodded. “I gave you my word, and I will fulfill it. A promise is a promise.”

His eyes glinted. “Splendid. Well, go and change her back, then contact me afterwards.”

I hesitated. “Uh, General, I have just one question. Has your daughter agreed to accept this?”

His smile faded slightly. “Yes, I’m sure she has. Why do you ask?”

I was entirely honest with him. “It’s possible that she might refuse. You’ve seen it yourself; there was no hesitation in her adaptation.”

He nodded. “It’s true, she might, but this bitter rivalry has to end. If she refuses, either persuade or force her to undergo the process.”

I wanted to say more to him, but I couldn’t bring myself to say the words. Instead, I reluctantly accepted. “Understood.”

I ended the call, and flew towards the lab. On the way there, I stopped at the viewing bay. The view was beautiful and empty; the clouds a cotton mist, and darker edges suggesting a storm on the horizon. As I observed, I saw my reflection, shadowed by the clouds. My hair remained spiky as it had always been, the emerald in my forehead appeared cracked, my green skin seemed to gleam less and my diamond-shaped pupils stared back at me, still heavy with the weight of all they’d seen. I looked at myself, and I felt alienated by my own appearance. I was not the same person I was back on Gemstania.

I replayed the General’s words in my mind, and shuddered. I sat down and hung my head in gloom. I couldn’t tell him the truth, I couldn’t muster the courage to defy him; I couldn’t convey my true emotion to him. How could I heartlessly lose the one I love again? How could I give up this literal diamond in the rough? Could I sacrifice that shining smile, extinguish that beacon of joy?

A tear began to well up in my eye’s corner, as I reminisced on all my new memories of Emerina: the nightly expeditions of the earth, the many sparring sessions held in the central space, the few encounters we had fought together; all with a glowing glad aura encompassing it. However, I also remembered the old Emerina I knew: the real one, the one who placed her life on the line to save me. All the times we had visited friends within the many races, had looked up at the night sky together, had travelled the cosmos out of curiosity: these were the memories that I should ascribe to her. But now, this new version was replacing them all, until there would no distinction; I didn’t want to forget that final look she gave as she left my life on that day.

I knew that it couldn’t stay like this. That man had suffered too much; it was time to end his grief.

I left the viewing platform and entered the lab, where Emerina was working. She had a white lab coat over her royal robes, and was experimenting with gemstanite, a synthesized mineral that easily bonded to any element. As I approached, I looked at her; she had every feature of my sister. Her diminutive figure, her knee-length hair, her calm eyes; I felt as though I couldn’t do this. She retained my sister’s delicate appearance, but something powerful emanated from that small frame. A diamond tear streaked down my face; could I really do it? Could I remove the only remnant of my species like Vitrolax had done? I felt a horrible churning in my abdominal muscles, and I was losing the strength to keep myself upright. But then I wiped the tear away and rose to my feet again; this wasn’t her. This was a human with her body, like an actor behind a mask. I had to do it; this rivalry had to end.

I walked up to her side. “Emerina, could I talk to you about something?”

She turned to face me. “It depends what it is. What is there to talk about?”

I hesitated. “Well…I found out how to reverse the genetic seal, so you know what that means.”

Emerina froze, a look of dread across her face. “I’m going to the training area.”

As she walked towards the lab door, I blocked her path. “Emerina, listen.”

She stepped back and glared at me; her look could have melted steel.

“You’ve known for a long time that this would happen, so why are you running from it? Didn’t you agree with your father that as soon as I learnt how to change you back, you would accept it?”

“I know, but…” She stared down at the ground, a tear welling up in her eye. “After all the battles we have faced, I felt more alive than I’ve ever felt. Plus, this power is incredible; I don’t feel like I can throw all this away.”

I placed my hand on her shoulder. “I understand that this is hard for you; and, to be honest, I would like to keep you as a companion.”

“Then why can’t you let me stay this way?” She sat slumped on the ground, the tears flowing rapidly, plinking off the metal floor.

I was honest with her. “This rivalry between your father and I has to end, and this is the only way.”

She got to her feet. “No; there’s got to be another way.”

I was getting a little irritated. “You know your dad tried to kill me when we fought Vitrolax in New York?”

That shocked her. “What? How?”

I replied, “Deadringer told me how he was forced to try assassinating me by being subjected to repeated death threats towards his wife. Didn’t you notice how close the shots were to us?”

She couldn’t believe it. “I thought he was using your elemental defense to his advantage. Anyway, you can’t use me as a sacrifice for your stupid rivalry, so tell my dad that I’m not going back.”

That caused me to snap. “Do you know how many people have died because of my existence? 6.5 million. There were 6 million individuals on Gemstania, and half a million people were massacred in Chicago! How many more do you want to see fall because of your father’s rage?”

Emerina laughed. “Surely, you are mistaken. My father has a bad temper, but there’s no way-”

I laughed. “You really think so? Your father is a military general who controls a major army base, and he constantly loathes me for your transformation. How long until he abuses that power and begins annihilating innocents in order to draw me out and fight?”

She looked at me puzzlingly. “He’d never do that; he wouldn’t. My father may have a fiery temper, but he is still a caring individual; he wouldn’t go to those lengths that you’re describing, so go tell him. I’m not afraid of him, and neither should you.”

My infuriation grew. “But I am, and do you know why? Because I know what grief can do to people! I’ve seen entire nations fall, and great men turn to psychopaths because of grief; and if this is possible in any nation, it can happen here! Yet you, you don’t even care about him; you don’t understand anyone’s emotion but your own! Do you want to be the reason for this world’s collapse into anarchy and terror? Well, do you?”

She laughed. “Now you’ve gone mad. My father is limited in his power; he has little control over anything anymore. You’d merely have to restrain him and lock him up; with that, there’d be no fear.”

I shoved her back, fire in my eyes. “ARE YOUR EARS SATIFIED TO BE DEAF TO SUFFERING? HAVE YOU NO HEART FOR ANYONE BUT YOURSELF? DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THIS HAS TO BE DONE? YOUR FATHER HAS SUFFERED LONG ENOUGH, SO DO THIS ONE THING FOR HIM!”

It was her turn to snap back. “AND WHY SHOULD I? WHAT OBLIGATION TO I HAVE TO HIM NOW? I AM NO LONGER HIS, WHY MUST I BE SENT BACK AS A SACRIFICIAL LAMB FOR YOUR RIVALRY? HE CAN GO TO HELL FOR ALL I CARE!!!”

My mind screamed it through my mouth. “ISN’T IT OBVIOUS? IT’S BECAUSE HE STILL LOVES YOU, EILEEN ROSALIND GILLESPIE!!!”

That outburst silenced the entire world, to the point where the air hung still, frozen by the truth now revealed.

I regained my calm composure again. “That’s a name you haven’t been referred to by in a long time, isn’t that right? Your species may have changed, but your personality hasn’t. Your father still sees the kind and hard-working daughter that he knew so long ago; and he still grieves over this loss, which was completely unintentional to begin with. I sympathized with him, and I understood that he wanted you back as much as possible; so I made that proposal to him, so that the possibility of returning to normal life could be available for him. So don’t you see, Eileen, that I had no choice but to end that man’s grief once and for all? Now please, don’t make this harder than it needs to be.”

Emerina’s eyes turned to face the ground. I couldn’t completely see her face, but I could make out a hint of a smile, followed by a light chuckle. “You don’t understand the situation completely, do you? Do you even know what my life was before you arrived? I was a low-life scientist who had the chance to make more income, since I barely had any to begin with. My father’s a strict old man, who continuously pressured me to do well, and still continues to do so. I don’t want all these stresses to return to my life, when I have experienced all the bliss of this one. So that’s my final decision: I’m not changing back just to make that old geezer proud of his ‘perfect daughter’.”

I sighed. “Then you leave me no choice. I’m sorry for this.”

I raised my hand and channeled my energy towards her. Her emerald glowed, and her eyes drooped; she would soon be incapacitated. However, she fought back; she blocked my power with such a fury that it could melt the metal beneath her feet, making me flinch.

She looked at me. “So that’s how it’s gonna be, huh?”

In an instant, she smashed through the giant skylight and made for the centre of the approaching storm. For fear of what she might do, I pursued her into the blackened clouds.

I found Emerina deep in the cumulonimbi, the storm spiraling around her. I hovered opposite, the lightning flashes illuminating the sky and her enraged expression.

I tried again to persuade her. “Listen to me, Emerina: you need to cease this now. All this power has corrupted you; you’re blocking out all sense of reality and morality. At this rate, you’ll lose all rationality entirely, so please, just listen to me.”

She shook her head in madness. “That’s all I ever did under your guidance: listen and follow, listen and follow, occasionally fight. Well, I’m sick of listening to you, ‘God’; I don’t care what you have to say. I’m keeping these powers and you can’t stop me.”

Within seconds, a massive sphere of inferno erupted from her palms, striking and singing my skin. Losing my cool demeanor, I launched an electric shockwave in retaliation; her body transformed into stone as it struck. Anger coursed through me as I fired thousands of metal shards, only to see them melt into thin air by her flaming aura.  

Emerina laughed maniacally. “You can’t hurt me at all. I can block anything you throw at me.”

Using the spiraling air to her advantage, she formed a tornado and I was pulled in. The electrocuted air struck me instantly; I could barely manage to remain floating. While I was stunned, she shot a gigantic stone at me, which collided head-on. Fear of the future kept me fighting.

“There’s the other problem you have: you forget that our strength bends the atoms in the universe to our will,” I bellowed. “You must responsibly maintain the condition of the places you fight in; if it wasn’t for me, you’d have starved this planet of all its precious oxygen!”

Psychic bolts flew towards Emerina, but her mental shield blocked the assault; I changed the bolts that flew past her into swirling discs of serrated ice, but she shot them down without even looking. Almost instantly, she launched a razor vine from her arm, which quickly constricted me. Without thought, I internally released toxin, and the sharp leaves of the deadly plant, slashing at nothing, withered away. I struck back with a telekinetic punch, launching her into one of the sparking clouds. Steaming, as a final strike, she unleashed a blizzard, the cold wind whipping me around.

Weak, and on the verge of falling, I felt a surge of energy: emerald energy. With no other choice, I let this flow into me and attempted to force Emerina to sleep once again; but I didn’t expect what followed.

“NO!!!”

After my move, she fell; she fell for what felt like forever, and hit the ground, leaving an imprint of the impact. Barely moving, as if tired, but I knew the reason was worse. I only desired to induce sleep; after that, she would sleep forever. I landed beside her and leant her under a nearby tree, my arms underneath her back. I couldn’t believe what I had done, but the emerald dagger was still lodged in her chest.

I couldn’t come to terms with it. “No, no, NO! This can’t happen; it just can’t.”

Emerina turned to me, a tired grin spread across her face. “I shouldn’t have fought it; I should have let you change me back. Guess it’s too late now.”

A tear welled in my eye. “No; there must be a way to save you. There must be; there has to be!”

She placed her hand on my forearm. “There isn’t one, Emerald; you even told me yourself. ‘No entity can be healed after an emerald energy attack, not even Gemstanians.’”

Diamond tears rolled down my face as her breaths slowed. My hands tightened on her other arm and I begged to her. “Please don’t leave. You are the only individual I can relate to; the only remnant of my home world.”

Emerina raised her hand and brushed the tear from my cheek. “Emerald, there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you. Your sister: what was she like?”

I was honest with her. “She was kind, hard-working and incredibly lively; the perfect sister, much like you.”

She smiled at me. “She sounds amazing; I wish was more like her.”

Emerina drifted on the verge of consciousness, struggling to resist the inevitable; I let the tree support her weight and placed her gentle hand in my own.

The tears flowed more strongly. “I’m sorry…sister.”

She closed her eyes as a single tear stained her left cheek. “It’s okay. I’m sorry I couldn’t be a better sister…brother.”

As I cried beside her body, both of us glowed. Her body faded into thin air, and her gemstone fell to the ground and cracked open. A green glowing energy began to flow out, which then flowed into me and stayed within. I couldn’t believe what had happened; she had united with me. I felt her strength, her power, her pain; it all had been bonded to me. As the light became dimmer, and the stormy skies cleared, I stared up at the full moon, the tears streaming, and said silently, “Thank you…Emerina.”

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts

STUCK (Part IV)

BEFORE HE COULD object, Bunny circled around Clive, placed her tiny hands against the small of his back, and then roughly began steering him away from us and back towards his home, all the while filling his ears with stories about her grandmother. Looking back over his shoulder, Clive managed a single smile and a wave goodbye before asking Bunny about her grandmother, as if he were seriously considering the suggestion.

Without thinking, I waved politely in reply as part of me wished again that I hadn't come while another part wished that I'd at least shown up in the Vigil uniform. My version of the outfit came with a black helmet that hid my face and features as I barked orders to my team, or answered questions from the media. That's how most people knew me, as a voice and a figure. Everything else about me or my appearance had now become a sort of urban legend within the various teams. Some people thought that I was heavily scared, or covered in hundreds of piercings. Other theories suggested that I was an alien stranded on Earth, or Amelia Earhart brought forward through time and space. Boy, were they about to be disappointed. Ah well, it was too late now. Might as well face the music with my head held high, and get this out of the way as quickly as possible.

With my mind made, I sidled up to Star and Roman and we made our way towards the house. Everyone recorgnized the power couple out of their costumes and cheered their approach, with some even moving to intercept us. I resisted the urge to shy away as best as I could but it was painfully awkward just standing there, waiting to be acknowledged by my peers.

"...and you'll never guess who I finally convinced to come out with us," Star was saying now, pulling me out of my thoughts. There just wasn't any room for introversion with her around. "See? TA DA!"

But everyone just stared quietly, not sure who I was or why they were supposed to be excited. I did a little bow and curtsy in return because I'm sarcastic and I grew up watching Westerns, and because my body usually just takes over in these kinds of situations. Understandably, that didn't help very much.

"Seriously?" Star asked, genuinely surprised. "Oh, for... It's River!"

What followed next was a parade of reactions that were almost too comical to describe as everyone suddenly surrounded, treating me like some sort of mix between a celebrity and a mirage. One guy, the class clown of the group, even went so far as to dare me to prove that I was really who Star said I was. I promptly told him to "drop and give me fifty". His terrified response was to leap into Roman's arms, clutching his beer to his chest as he murmured "it's her, it's the bad lady!". I had a sudden urge to hiss at him like a stray cat but resisted the temptation.

Everyone naturally laughed at his overreaction but other than that, nothing insane happened. Most of them just complimented my looks, with a few even flirting with me. But for the most part, they just hoped that this meant that I would start hanging out with them more, outside of work.

"Well, I guess that depends on how well you guys take care of me this weekend," I said.

"Mmm, speaking of which," Star cut-in. "Let me introduce you to my little brother!" Following her gaze to the young man that had just stepped forward my jaw dropped reactively, leaving me speechless. Whispering in my ear, she continued, "I hope you don't mind but he's the real reason why I wanted you to come this weekend. I think you two could be an amazing couple."

The only thing I could do was raise my eyebrows and think, "Damn!"

To Be Continued...

“It's all about Power."
"We control the World."

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts

STUCK (Part V)

THE LIGHT HAD faded from the sky outside as it rained hard against the windows and palm trees. Inside however, the storm was barely audible as music played in every room of the house while everyone introduced themselves and got to know one another better -- everyone that is, except Daniel and I.

Daniel was the given name of Starlight's younger brother. Though also a few years younger than myself, he was somehow still taller than me and seemed very mature for his age. His powers were also very intriguing, giving him the ability to manipulate gravity in an area around him, which allowed us to walk up a wall and then along the ceiling without problem for a few minutes. He was also quite handsome and athletic, with stunning features and gorgeous, hazel-colored eyes that glowed like fire in the dim light.

The feelings were mutual it seemed, as he played lovingly with the curls in my long, wine-colored hair and drowned unabashedly in my avocado-colored eyes. All at once we spoke about everything and nothing at all. Every little thing, every little detail we discovered about the other we found endlessly and genuinely interesting. Before I knew it, he had my heart and I had his. We were lost in each other, perfectly adrift in a sea of people.

That was when I felt her presence move towards me. It started with just her scent, the smell of her favorite perfume filling the entirety of my nose and mouth. I used to love that smell so much, but now it was threatening to strangle me. Next came the sound of her laughter, the feeling of which was similar to being stabbed in the chest with a blade of ice. Turning slowly, I finally saw her and immediately the temperature of the room fell as the blood drained from my face.

She stepped forward confidantly, her eyes locked on mine. Strength left my body, loosening the grip I had on my glass. She caught it effortlessly mid air, drained it in one gulp, then handed the empty glass over to Daniel.

"Tut-tut," she said. "I leave alone for a few months, and now you think you're straight. That's just so sad."

"What are you doing here?" I demanded, swallowing my discomfort and moving to shield Daniel with my body.

"I was invited," she said simply, her pupils burning white, the only indication she was annoyed with my show of defiance. "If you don't believe me, just ask your new boss."

She was pointing to something over her shoulder as she said this. Following with my eyes, I found Clive who was surrounded by women. Meeting his eyes with mine, Clive raised a glass to me before looking away again, a twisted smile on his lips.

"Besides," she continued, taking a step forward. "The real question should be: what are you doing here? Hmm? Pretending to be something you're not, again?" Before I could stop her, she was kissing me, reminding me of the long nights passed that we shared together. She bit my lip then, drawing blood and a scream from before locking my head between her hands. "You belong to me and I will never let you go."

The End

“It's all about Power."
"We control the World."

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

Tears of a Thousand Suns

Verse - II: Parched Oasis

Dunes floated silently under the pitch black night sky, moving on the whims of the winds that blew around the sun-baked desert. The atmosphere had paid a heavy price for the war of superiority. Stormclouds swallowed whole cities while others were scorched to the ground by the merciless sun, the shields of atmosphere merely an apparition of their former density as they fought their daily battle to keep the sun away from toasting the land under their protection.

A man stood amidst the dunes, his coat covered in a permalayer of dust that clung to him, a basin stretched on all sides from his position. It was once the wondrous Lake Tanganyika now just a massive canyon covered in merciless sand. The temperatures in the basin were enough to make even inhumans sweat. 

Smoke billowed lazily from a lit cigar, faints wisps of hashish could be smelt by anyone who would have cared as the figure bent down to kneel. He placed a scarlet rose, one of the many sacrifices that Earth made in its war for survival as the land was left too depleted to support such rarities. It had been three weeks since he had arrived back on Earth, on a trip of remembrances. This was his last destination, a nameless erstwhile water grave that no one knew but him.

The earth parted as the rose touched the surface, earth disgorged a half formed skull as the man picked it tenderly. Stroking his hand gently over its surface as a lone tear fell on it. A thought permeated his mind. A sight he won't be able to forget till eternity, hair black as the night danced playfully on the unknown beats of a wistful wind that blew as he caught glimpse of the small of the back of a woman. With skin like molten copper, smile as radiant as the sun and eyes that held the depth of the deepest ocean within it, she stood at the edge of a large lake covered in nothing but the gifts of labor they both have been involved in. Each bead reflected the light of the setting sun as if in envy of the form that stood in its presence, she looked beautiful. A beauty so ethereal that he had experienced it only once and the one he had hungrily searched for an eon to finally find it on this tiny planet, Samael couldn't believe his luck.

He silently put the skull back carefully on the parched ground as the rose seem to suddenly flicker with life and cover it before being swallowed by earth again. He slowly turned to move away from the resting place as the last of the tremors ceased and dunes continued their lazy voyage, the sand soon covering the tracks of the place his beloved lay. His journey was nearing its end, having shared his soul with the last of his loved ones as he prepared to move again.

Soon, he may get lucky again. Inanna had always guided him well.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

Tears of a Thousand Suns

Final Verse: Lily of the Longing night

Slowly he walked to the travel port, his pilgrimage had completed. He had found peace, if only temporary and had steeled his resolve to yet lumber on forward to see this world move. A beautiful young woman stood near the entrance, her childish smile bring out a dry smirk from him. 

"Your registration number please!" she asked politely, her voice timid. It was a wonder how much life was packed into that petite shell as energy oozed out of her.

"Don't have any?" W replied.

"Sir, you know the edicts of the Haiti Pact. Mutant Registry is mandatory. How did you manage to board a shuttle from Titan?" she asked perplexed, there was a hint of trepidation in her voice, as if she was uncomfortable with how the situation was growing. The XMX Corp. run station relied heavily on the scanning of its counterpart on titan. Unregistered mutants were more trouble than their worth, they weren't aware of the thin line of peace that they walked and often incited trouble. The man that stood in front of her seem much like a troublemaker, she could feel the dread creep closer as he stood and looked back at her, his pitch black eyes boring into her skull as she broke eye contact.

"Well is there some other way? I am really tired and don't plan to go to Titan by myself." he said in a calm grumble. She felt a bit relaxed as the tense atmosphere lightened up a bit, his pained expression was from tiredness she thought but she wasn't taking any chances.

'Code Alpha Red at gate 4!' she sent out a psi whisper to everyone on the port. Help would arrive shortly, she just had to keep him busy.

"..dicts of the Haiti pact mandate Mutant registry" she almost whimpered the last bit as she backed away a bit, she could always use her powers on him, she reasoned. But the Haiti Pact forbade use on Non-mutants, what if he was an alien? there were reports that many other races had taken interest in Earth after the evacuation. Maybe he was scouting for them, but then it would make no sense to talk of going to Titan? he sounded like he traveled alone on that leg of the journey but his clothes and look weren't of someone famous, she'd know, for she had everyone famous in her mind, their whole bio.

"I heard that the first time, love." he said in that same moving grumble. "I am asking what's the way around it?" he asked.

"W..we..well, my superior may guide you on this." she answered shakily, 

"Well, I guess you have already called for him then, right?" he said.

"Yeah! but how did you know? Are you a Psi, as well? Oh god!" she said exasperatedly as she backed further away.

"No! I have no interest in reading your mind, little one. I reasoned that they'd have a sensor, mimic or a psi at the entry." he said thoughtfully, just then the security rounded the corner and surrounded him, with a few more people in dresses and suits panting around them. It seemed that the whole station had gathered to greet him.

"Well, hello!" he said as he raised his hat and gave a polite bow to everyone.

"Sir you either can register yourself now or we'll have the MPF inter-planetary force take you with them for processing your application. We can't have you travel with the registered ones. Protocol dictates that we can't risk that." the lady in a Black formal suit said adjusting her spectacles.

"Can't this just end with a confirmation of my powers?" W asked quietly, there wasn't a noise from the security personnel as everyone just listened.

"I'm afraid not, sir. you'll either have to register here or the other option." the lady repeated

"Well then, I'd rather stay here a bit long er then." W opined as he turned to walk away. All the while as the little lady from earlier tried to scratch his psyche.

"I'm afraid that's not an option either, once we make contact with the unregistered, it is mandated that we convince them to follow the rules." she said a bit sternly this time.

"Hmm, I don't like where this is going." he mused before pointing at the small lady, "stop that!" he pointed, "I don't wanna hurt you."

The lady started with a jerk as her face flushed. Athena Winfield or "Whisper" prided herself for her telepathic skills, her under the radar psych profiling  had made her quite famous across the galaxy, to think that she was caught out this easily meant that despite his denial, the man was a rather strong psychic. A class seven or higher. She motioned at the lady in black suit and retreated behind the armed guards.

"This hall is built from Mithrilium Alloy, as such your psionic force won't affect us here. So we request you to stop resisting and come quietly. Registering in database won't do you any harm, rather there a lot of benefits that you can enjoy from it." she suggested firmly.

"Well, I don't know your name, hun. But do you know who have labels? Pets!! and I don't wanna be one. I have had enough of this bullshit, I thought I could rent a comfortable ride home but it seems like you guys are a bunch of tightwads." he said with a wry smile as he started walking towards the exit, he heard the clicks of guns but no shots were fired.

Everybody was a bit dazed, so this guy was a multi-class monster?' everybody thought.

He slowly walked to the gate and turned around, this time his voice rang clear in everyone's heads. "You may know of 'Firefly', well she'll be sad that her lover got treated so bad by her own kind."

He turned and disappeared from sight. All the personnel were left in a bit of shock. They knew Firefly and of her sacrifice, it was due to her noble deed that a ceasefire was brought. But no one knew that she had a lover or that man was such a monster. He certainly looked like a man who won't joke about such a thing. Everybody stood there for a moment before getting back to schedule.

Athena had her tail up though, the man was certainly interesting. She had barely got to get a good read on him before she was shut out but she had enough to warrant a search.

---

[On Gaia]

W arrived on the planet from Titan, this was easier than the journey from Earth. The green paradise was a safe haven for people who wished to remain unknown. There was something about the land itself, it was as if it was alive and rather fond of hide and seek. Wildlife that was thought to be extinct, thrived here as lush forests spanned as far as eyes could see.

His destination was a sacred sanctuary or rather a valley. All Mother's Gorge, it was said that the force of this planet resided there. That if you lingered long enough, you could hear the ground talk. He trudged through the vast woodlands to reach his destination, immediately he was greeted with the most mesmerizing scent of flowers. The view was simply beautiful.

"Why the glum face?" a swallow tweeted as he entered the Gorge.

"For I miss holding you close!" he said with a heavy sigh.

"Well, I have a gift for you." the wind seemed to whistle this through the trees.

"The Lily bloomed again?" he quizzed.

"You are getting good at this." the owl hooted.

"Well, its good but they are not you. I miss you more than anything." he said with a sorrowful voice.

"You know how destiny is, Samael. We are one but never together." the meandering river seemed to splash it out for him as he slowly splashed his face with its icy water.

"Sometimes I envy Death. She has so many lovers and I can't have one." he said.

"Well you can always ask her out." the wind chimed again, a hint of mirth in its sound.

"You know that is not possible. She already has Thanos and Deadpool. I don't like competition for my love." he said.

"Possessive, are we?" this time it was almost like a giggle. He walked on towards the center of the valley.

"You bet." he smiled wryly as he finally reached his destination. A rabbit sized white lily grew at the spot, it seemed to radiate unearthly light.

"Well this shall sustain you for a millennium and will point you towards me in flesh." the wind whispered the final time.

The man just gave a forlorn smile as he bent to pick the flower again. The stigma of the flower was shaped like a ball and had the membranes in shape of Earth's landmass. He wondered for a while as he looked at the flower before he pocketed it.

He blew a kiss to the wind, "Till we meet again." and continued walking out of the valley, back on a journey to find his love again.

[GLOSSARY]

Psi - A telepath.

MPF - Mutant Planetary Force - A force formed after the Haiti Pact.

XMX - A space transit company that runs shipping ports for space traffic to various planets. Currently, it operates 7 ports between Human & Mutant planets.

Geneva Concorde - Signed in 2017 that marked the beginning of the war on Mutants as all the major governments indulged in active manhunt of any people recognized as mutants or beings of extra-ordinary abilities.

Haiti Pact - A ceasefire agreement signed in November 2027, on the anniversary of Firefly's death to call off the hostilities between Mutants and Humans. The war had led to a casualty count of over 4 billion and a loss of many major cities. It was signed exactly one year after Firefly's death when the expert reports from the United Nations concluded that the brave mutant died protecting regular civilians from a large scale nuclear attack.

The End

Edited by Diabolical Rhapsody, 22 September 2016 - 02:56 PM.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.

Of All Things Living

Spoiler

UIqflpq.jpg

Emerald39

Emerald39

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 317 posts

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Writing Challenge 2: Poetry

Theme: The Mind (mental or physical)

Stipulations: Stanza form. Some form of syllable pattern (e.g. haiku). 

General Rules apply (see above)

Challenge Specific Rules: 

- No set length.

- Stanza size and rhyme scheme up to individual.

- Real names and places are allowed.

- Try to post all in one part. 

Bonus Challenge: use metric feet, such as hexameter (non-compulsory)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

Apogee of Self

A slippery chasm filled with spears,

A construct; housing wrath & tears,

A Mausoleum; keeping hopes & fears

& An Index; recording enemies & peers.

Sometimes, it moves to inspire

others; to ruin.

Sometimes, it works to conspire

yet even more; to triumph.

A shelter from the rains of dissuasion,

A pit to wallow in self-disgust,

An ally to channel some grit & determination

A foe to sow paranoia & distrust.

Through bouts of depression,

I take it to be a Lance of Light

Through objective introspection

I deduce it to be a dagger of avarice.

But its experience that makes me wonder

whether I am its only muse

or its greatest Sacrifice.

- DR

Spoiler

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Emerald39

Emerald39

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 317 posts

Crystal Caverns

Another night had graced this grove,

Secluded, beyond Reality’s realm,

And now begins to grow again;

Another hole has surface broke:

One of many, but one of substance, which

May abound with earthy riches.

The wall is ruptured; explorers

Swarm its halls, bathed in swimming ribbons of

Luminescence, gazing in awe:

A single shard hangs from above,

Dripping with glassy moisture, like melted

Refined ice, glist’ning in silence;

Light’s thin hands unveil the sacred

Cavern, shimmering with crystal

Flowers, moondrops, and patterned shards:

Solid streams of purity wind

Throughout palaces of vivid hue and power,

Reaching out with spindly branches.

Now, extending into the sky,

Flowers and soft shards, sparkling in true light,

Cloak the landscape, dripping Moon’s tear;

And that river stretched its tendrils,

Until even nine-mouthed Styx’s delta

Could not compete with true power.

Yet another world comes to mind,

Belonging to no one’s self, nor to mine,

Whose secrets lie as yet uncovered.

- Emerald

Edited by Emerald39, 12 October 2016 - 06:05 AM.

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts

My Friend, Alice

Madness danced in the eyes of the maid,

She who was fair and astrophysics her trade,

And while her smiles were as sweet as American pie,

She was a serial killer known from here to Shanghai.

The daughter of two lovers and mother of none,

Our story actually begins the day she bought a gun,

No one understood her or so she said,

As she killed and crippled my poor, Uncle Ted.

In her mind all of the rules were reversed,

People were animals and life was a curse,

Pain and suffering were how things were meant to be,

So why should she be nice when she could go on a killing spree.

“It's all about Power."
"We control the World."

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

The Guardian Angel's Oath

Through fervor I now lead to rise again, the wings of those whose minds, once lost, are found;

Obscured by fear, and visions of the end; a self-made jail that chains them to the ground;

The iron bars on which their doubts depend; incarceration do their angsts compound;

The more they pull, the less they hence intend

To flee fast from the prison they pretend

Does not allow them freely to defend

Their thoughts from wounds they know they cannot mend.

But come the revelation of the light, long hidden by veneer, by dark facade;

And come the clearing of the starless night, pierced straight through by my holy colichemarde;

A blade to banish echoes of their plight, to lift their hearts in sanguine serenade;

No more shall they to shallow words cling tight;

No more shall they then genuflect to fright;

To broken sanities I grant fresh sight;

In minds resigned, instill the will to fight.

Spoiler

Edited by Viscoun, 21 October 2016 - 11:18 AM.

Emerald39

Emerald39

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 317 posts

Time of Ignition (Part 1: Spark)

My name is Soligna. That’s the name I was born with, but no one calls me that now; it’s always “Demon” or “Deep Red”, or occasionally “Armageddon”. How ironic!

I’ve never hurt a fly, or at least a human-like fly. I had to kill, but only for my own survival. I didn’t have to endure all of this; it was only due to the paranoia of others. My crueler person was made, not inherited.

I guess I should start from the beginning. I was born in late midsummer, when the humid air clings to the farmer’s weary backs, and the scorching sun kindles its greatest heat.

My parents were the guiding lights of my vision. They were a renowned couple within our little town of Locestra; no one would suspect them of anything, now would they?

My father was a slim man: slick brown hair, ocean-blue eyes and thin-framed glasses. He was greatly liked by all, but mainly because of his medical skills, which were vital for such an isolated town.

My mother was a person who could sooth the savage beast, and stir the trees with her voice; she had curly red hair, and calm brown eyes. She would spend most of her days tending to her passions, whether it be the small garden of the house, or her many songs and poems that he loved.

This was our life, our paradise. My earliest memory of this place was sitting in that garden, observing her as she watered the tulips, their red petals swaying in the gentle gale; the second was of simply listening to her singing.

I rarely saw my father in those first few years of my life; mother would always tell me that his work required strict gravitas, or seriousness, and that I could sit in on his work later in life. However, I would soon learn that there was more that I had yet to know about her and father.

I felt this feeling when I was only four years old. It was late afternoon, and I was strolling around our garden, sniffing the sweet aromas of its flowers. My hand started to become warm, for reasons I do not know, and so I stared at it in confusion, like a moth drawn to a candle.

I moved my hand, and nothing changed. It felt as if I had burnt myself on the wood stove, and the image of those ardent logs arose in my mind. Suddenly, the palm of my hand glowed, and a wisp-like ember formed, its heat lightly touching my face, its light shining off my straight black hair.

It was like watching a tiny seed, planted in the moist soil, slowly breaking through and flourishing into a tiny seedling. As I had thought that, the flame began to become floral in shape, morphing into the tulip that I loved so dearly.

Unfortunately, that fiery flower never reached its final form. My mother called me in for dinner, and it drew away my concentration; when I looked back at my palm, it was gone, vanished into thin air.

I asked mother about it, but she only seemed to avert her gaze. I tried to probe further, but she simply stayed silent, walking upstairs to her bedroom.

I even asked father about it, and he did a similar thing; however, he added that I should make sure that no one else sees it. I asked why, but that’s where he stopped.

That night, I couldn’t sleep again, and so I listened in on their conversations as usual. But what I heard created a fear that would never die.

“… Her inheritance has finally awakened; I knew this would happen eventually, but we shouldn’t treat this lightly, Harmonus … she’s young, she doesn’t have to endure this … I remember my own experience with this, and it was absolute hell for me … at least we were lucky that it happened privately, otherwise we’d be in a lot of danger … maybe we should help her control rather than suppress it …”

As I listened to her worried tone from the top of the stairs, I stared at my own hands, and saw only demonic claws. Was I going to become a monster? Was there no way to live normally again? What would happen if the town knew?

Paranoid, I ran to my room, dived under my duvet and tried to forget all that I had heard. How naïve I was. 

Edited by Emerald39, 14 December 2016 - 04:28 AM.