Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[TOPICS] Writing Challenge II

writing challenge discussions topics commentaries

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.
Whadya mean, that sounds hilarious.

Though I'm thinking more linguistic restrictions, like "every sentence must start with the letter M" or stuff like that. Well anyway, I'm prepared for anything these challenges throw at me.

UIqflpq.jpg

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • LocationSint Maarten, Kingdom of the Netherlands
Just a few more days and then the madness can begin. Who knows, maybe we might even discover the next bestselling, young adult novel.

“It's all about Power."
"Grabbing it. Keeping it. Using It."
"Power is our currency, our DNA... Our God.”
"We control the World."
"We provide the blueprint. And we give the Instructions."

Emerald39

Emerald39

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 317 posts

Just a few more days and then the madness can begin. Who knows, maybe we might even discover the next bestselling, young adult novel.

Hohoh, it's nice to see that you and I think alike with these things. Maybe I'll end up increasing my number of novel series ideas from 5 to possibly 10  :D

Mors

Mors

Potato

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSupra

I am completely against the gimmicky sort of restrictions that Horn suggested. I believe the ideal format would be to have three nonparticipating judges, some criteria for the judges to look at i.e. quality, style, and creativity, and just have a singular broad theme for everyone to follow with maybe a length restriction. Also for me personally, getting this sorted out sooner would be better, since I work on weekdays, but no rush if you're not ready. 

a6f4b732-ee1c-43f9-a007-079ff2b01822_zps

"The sun is new each day."

Officer Judy Hopps

Officer Judy Hopps

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationWonderland!
I'll be a non participant judge. ^_^

tumblr_o3sndbSAhX1qctrupo2_500.gif

Me, according to a Hero:

Spoiler

SliceAndDice

SliceAndDice

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 95 posts

I'm not sure it needs to go that far, honestly. Truth be told I don't think it should even be a competition, but if we're going to choose "Winners" I'd say either run a general consensus among the participants or just let Naifu call it (possibly a combination of both).

I think if we start getting into ratings and grades and official judging it'll just obscure the point. Which, the way I look at it, isn't to prove we're the best writer around, it's a chance to try writing with themes, concepts, or possibly even styles that we normally wouldn't use. Expand our boundaries, get tossed out of our little written comfort zone as it were. Build up new muscles rather than flex the ones we already have. That sort of thing.

Edited by Hero of Ishval, 06 August 2016 - 11:15 AM.

2rD2TPI.gif

Myself, as told by a Hawk;

Spoiler

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts

I am completely against the gimmicky sort of restrictions that Horn suggested. I believe the ideal format would be to have three nonparticipating judges, some criteria for the judges to look at i.e. quality, style, and creativity, and just have a singular broad theme for everyone to follow with maybe a length restriction. Also for me personally, getting this sorted out sooner would be better, since I work on weekdays, but no rush if you're not ready.

While I don't have a problem with this idea, in the end I think it will hinder more than it helps. This isn't a serious writing forum and not everyone here is a native, English speaker. I think we can alternate between serious and fun, but more than that will alienate the few we already have.

I'll post the challenge tomorrow or later today, since I'm babysitting on Monday.

Edited by Naifu, 07 August 2016 - 12:39 PM.

“It's all about Power."
"We control the World."

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.

I am completely against the gimmicky sort of restrictions that Horn suggested.

Awwww.

Maybe gimmicks like that can be an optional thing for whoever feels masochistic enough to take it on, lol.

Edited by Horn, 06 August 2016 - 01:17 PM.

UIqflpq.jpg

Mors

Mors

Potato

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSupra

I'm not sure it needs to go that far, honestly. Truth be told I don't think it should even be a competition, but if we're going to choose "Winners" I'd say either run a general consensus among the participants or just let Naifu call it (possibly a combination of both).

I think if we start getting into ratings and grades and official judging it'll just obscure the point. Which, the way I look at it, isn't to prove we're the best writer around, it's a chance to try writing with themes, concepts, or possibly even styles that we normally wouldn't use. Expand our boundaries, get tossed out of our little written comfort zone as it were. Build up new muscles rather than flex the ones we already have. That sort of thing.

That's fair. I was actually just dumb and honestly thought it said "competition" and not "challenge".

Emerald39

Emerald39

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 317 posts

Hero of Ishval does have a point. I joined into this mainly to get to meet some other writers, and develop my own skills further; the "competition" part was more of an afterthought. 

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts
Alright, let's get this thing officially started! First off, the challenge doesn't start right now. This is just me presenting my idea for the first theme. Then I'll go over the rules, suggest some stipulations, ect. Everyone will have a chance to make some suggestions, and once everyone taking part in this month's challenge agrees to all of the above, I'll post a separate thread dedicated to housing everyone's submissions.

Okay, so I have a few ideas but I'd like to start us off with a simpler challenge:

Theme: Relationship.
Stipulations: Primary characters should have super powers. Relationship ends in tragedy.

Rules:
1.) Each challenge can last no longer than a month.
2.) For this specific challenge, style (poem) and length will be left up to the individual to decide, but it has to be completed (in the case of a multi-part entry) or submitted no later than one month after the first player's post.
3.) Besides your own or that of an actual celebrity/historical figure, you're not allowed to use the names of real people. Real places are free to use.

So the only thing left to decide is, should we have winners every month or just give each other stars for participating?

Edited by Naifu, 07 August 2016 - 01:53 PM.

“It's all about Power."
"We control the World."

Crouching Bacon

Crouching Bacon

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 528 posts

2.) For this specific challenge, style (poem) and length will be left up to the individual to decide, but it has to be completed (in the case of a multi-part entry) or submitted no later than one month after the first player's post.

Just to clarify, by this you mean, if we're submitting a poem, we can decide on the style?
So non-poem submissions are ok for this challenge, right?

Posted Image "Don't make me ship you!"

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts
Well, I was referring to a poem as being a different style of writing. Like country and hip-hop are different styles of music. Maybe style was the wrong word. (>_<)

So non-poem submissions are ok for this challenge, right?

Yes, definitely.

“It's all about Power."
"We control the World."

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • Locationin Oblivion, checking out the tapestry.

Well personally I prefer a ranking chart where all the writers making submission can see how they rank. Yes there will be Genres where some people would be better off than others and styles where they may shine but in general over a period of time one can know whether he has improved or not.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Mors

Mors

Potato

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSupra

Ranking seems pretty harsh. Feels better to be "not 1st place" than "9th place". I'd rather just a winner and runner up, probably by popular vote. Do we just post our submissions here?

Crouching Bacon

Crouching Bacon

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 528 posts

Well personally I prefer a ranking chart where all the writers making submission can see how they rank. Yes there will be Genres where some people would be better off than others and styles where they may shine but in general over a period of time one can know whether he has improved or not.

Ranking seems pretty harsh. Feels better to be "not 1st place" than "9th place". I'd rather just a winner and runner up, probably by popular vote. Do we just post our submissions here?

I agree with Mors, regarding the 9th place thing.

Though if there are different genres, maybe at the end of it all, you could choose a few of the most representative submissions of each genre.

Posted Image "Don't make me ship you!"

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts

Do we just post our submissions here?

No, I'll create a separate thread for those.

So how many of you want your works judged by the rest of the group (or by a few jugdes)?

Edited by Naifu, 07 August 2016 - 08:33 PM.

“It's all about Power."
"We control the World."

Emerald39

Emerald39

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 317 posts

So how many of you want your works judged by the rest of the group (or by a few jugdes)?

I'm up for that. It'll be good constructive criticism. 

I do have one question though. Should we add a rule that the work has to have been written in that month? 'Cause I have a massive 16,000-word section of one of my novels that would be perfect for this initial theme of a super-powered relationship with a tragic ending. 

The Illuminati

The Illuminati

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 679 posts

Should we add a rule that the work has to have been written in that month?

Personally, I don't think so. So long as all of the criteria have been met and you are the actual author of the story, then you should be free to submit an older piece of work.

I think the same should apply to this potential situation as well: say you decide that, for every new challenge, you want to use the same characters, turning each challenge into a chapter in that character life. I mean, it only just occured to me, but I think that would be an awesome idea that some people could object to for not being original. But obviously I think it would be an interesting twist to the monthly challenges.

I'm up for that. It'll be good constructive criticism.

“It's all about Power."
"We control the World."

Officer Judy Hopps

Officer Judy Hopps

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationWonderland!

Alright, let's get this thing officially started! First off, the challenge doesn't start right now. This is just me presenting my idea for the first theme. Then I'll go over the rules, suggest some stipulations, ect. Everyone will have a chance to make some suggestions, and once everyone taking part in this month's challenge agrees to all of the above, I'll post a separate thread dedicated to housing everyone's submissions. Okay, so I have a few ideas but I'd like to start us off with a simpler challenge:Theme: Relationship.Stipulations: Primary characters should have super powers. Relationship ends in tragedy.Rules:1.) Each challenge can last no longer than a month.2.) For this specific challenge, style (poem) and length will be left up to the individual to decide, but it has to be completed (in the case of a multi-part entry) or submitted no later than one month after the first player's post.3.) Besides your own or that of an actual celebrity/historical figure, you're not allowed to use the names of real people. Real places are free to use.So the only thing left to decide is, should we have winners every month or just give each other stars for participating?

Oh, what a cool theme! Hmm. I'll have to brainstorm a bit to make it halfway decent. This is due by the end of the month?

tumblr_o3sndbSAhX1qctrupo2_500.gif

Me, according to a Hero:

Spoiler