Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

(Theory) Evan's Trap

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

mezu

mezu

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 91 posts
As the title suggest, I believe that it is plausible that Evan has planned a trap for Baam.  In particular, Evan is planning to trap Baam within the the 'Name Hunt' station.  My reasoning follows below.

Ever since Evan encountered Baam within Headon's floor, he has thought the boy was dangerous.  We have been introduced to his internal dialogue numerous times, with regards to Baam, where he discusses how dangerous Baam is to Yuri.  In his mind, the princess should not be involved with him.

Recent events seem to have shown how extremely reckless Yuri can be with her own life when Baam is involved.  Instances that we know of include: giving Baam (who she just met) the Black March, entering a bet with the Train conductor Pedro where her life was a component of the wager, accepting to travel the dangerous path Evan presented to save Baam and co. from the acid after Baam defeated Hoaquin, attempting to confront Yu Han Sung and possibly the High Ranker Evankhell (who is of a higher rank than both her and Evan), and agreeing to accompany Baam and co. to the Floor of Death.  We know Yuri is reckless and somewhat of a troublemaker, which is why I have not included her seeking out Baam initially on Evankhell's floor or boarding the Train.  It is clear that she is going far out her way with regards to Baam.  In some sense, since Yuri met Baam, her 'path' has been toward him.

Evan is the one who proposed that Baam steal the name of Kaiser, not Yuri.  In fact, it seemed like she had never heard of the floor when Evan initially proposed this task to Yuri.  I believe he knew exactly what this floor was about, being in his position for so long.

Therefore, I think Evan has sufficient motivation to attempt to trap Baam within the 'Name Hunt' floor.  He knows what Kaiser is capable of and since Rankers are not permitted to interfere with the 'Name Hunt' rules, I think he naively believes that Yuri will not interfere... at least initially.  I think the tipping point is witnessing Yuri's behavior on the train as of late.  Perhaps he has decided to change his passive stance to a proactive stance to protect Yuri out of fear of Baam (not out of hate).

Thoughts?

Edited by mezu, 14 June 2016 - 04:03 AM.

Lester

Lester

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,452 posts

My thought is that he's grossly underestimating Baam if he thinks that a plan like this has much chance of succeeding. I just can't see how he could have witnessed Baam's power against the vastly superior Hoaqin and come away thinking that some D-Regular could defeat him, and with an entire team of elite Regulars backing him up no less. Maybe it's a last-ditch, desperate attempt to separate him from Yuri, but I don't really buy it.

And it's too late in any event. Yuri has already become enmeshed with Baam's path. Evan seemed to have resigned himself to the reality of this after speaking with Alumik. My take is that this is exactly what it appears to be. A suitable test of Baam's capability, though not a necessary one. He's done more than enough to prove his mettle already. What it really is, is SIU wanting to use this place that serves as a small supporting beam helping to prop up the whole corrupt imperial system, to allow Baam to exercise his newfound desire to use his strength as an Irregular for something bigger than just protecting his personal clique. A proper debut, as you will.

If Evan is really being sinister, though, perhaps his plan is for Baam's real name to somehow come out at this place where names are made such a big deal of. If he gets outed to the Tower as an Irregular, Yuri might have no choice but to distance herself from him. And she'll resent Evan forever for it, more likely than not. Or blame herself. Probably a mixture of both.

Or maybe he even wants Baam to think that they were trying to trap him after learning about what really goes on at this place, and cause him to feel alienated from Yuri. There are a lot of ways that this could spin, and any of them could be a legit scheme of Evan's or an unintended consequence of his proposal.

Edited by Lester, 14 June 2016 - 04:23 AM.

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

SIU wouldn't repeat things. We already saw Evankhell prepare a trap for Baam in S1.

Yu Han Sung.

Okay I misread your title as Evankhell instead of Evan but still. Kaiser could be a trap lol.

Interesting theory. I like the idea that Evan will actually affect the plot in some meaningful way and isn't just Yuri's sidekick, but I think his loyalty to Yuri is too strong for him to actually try to inhibit Baam's climb. I'm excited to see what Kaiser is all about though; hopefully something meaningful.

Edited by themantarays, 14 June 2016 - 04:25 AM.

mezu

mezu

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 91 posts

My thought is that he's grossly underestimating Baam if he thinks that a plan like this has much chance of succeeding. I just can't see how he could have witnessed Baam's power against the vastly superior Hoaqin and come away thinking that some D-Regular could defeat him, and with an entire team of elite Regulars backing him up no less. Maybe it's a last-ditch, desperate attempt to separate him from Yuri, but I don't really buy it.

And it's too late in any event. Yuri has already become enmeshed with Baam's path. Evan seemed to have resigned himself to the reality of this after speaking with Alumik. My take is that this is exactly what it appears to be. A suitable test of Baam's capability, though not a necessary one. He's done more than enough to prove his mettle already. What it really is, is SIU wanting to use this place that serves as a small supporting beam helping to prop up the whole corrupt imperial system, to allow Baam to exercise his newfound desire to use his strength as an Irregular for something bigger than just protecting his personal clique. A proper debut, as you will.

If Evan is really being sinister, though, perhaps his plan is for Baam's real name to somehow come out at this place where names are made such a big deal of. If he gets outed to the Tower as an Irregular, Yuri might have no choice but to distance herself from him. And she'll resent Evan forever for it, more likely than not. Or blame herself. Probably a mixture of both.

Or maybe he even wants Baam to think that they were trying to trap him after learning about what really goes on at this place, and cause him to feel alienated from Yuri. There are a lot of ways that this could spin, and any of them could be a legit scheme of Evan's or an unintended consequence of his proposal.

With regard to your first point, I think that it could be a combination of things including Evan underestimating Baam... we don't know how powerful Kaiser is yet...  Further, even after seeing Baam fight Hoaquin, he still states the 'Name Hunt' floor is far too dangerous.

I agree with your second point regarding Baam's 'debut'.  SIU will probably use this test to really develop this more thoughtful/mature Baam we are seeing.

You make good points regarding alternative ways for Evan to force a separation between Yuri and Baam.  I think we will (and have already seen) see some especially good writing from SIU with regard to this mini-arc.

Lester

Lester

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,452 posts

we don't know how powerful Kaiser is yet...

I would be extremely shocked if he's presented to be on the same level as the nearly-completed reincarnation of White. SIU is usually pretty good about keeping the usual shounen power creep in check, and this would be a radical departure from that. Beyond that, Kaiser is not the climax opponent of an epic-length plot arc. He's just a mid-boss before the real action to come on the Floor of Death. Name Hunt Station really shouldn't be anything more than an opportunity for Baam and crew to flex their muscles.

Edited by Lester, 14 June 2016 - 04:53 AM.

mezu

mezu

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 91 posts

He doesn't necessarily need to be on the same level as Hoaquin was.  I don't think it's clear yet whether Baam is at the same level as he was when he had just absorbed (and used) the power of the countless vengeful souls.  However, I do believe he is, at the very least, far stronger than pre-soul infusion (especially after having gone through at least a part of the second stage of the rice cooker).  The most credible assessment we have is from Evan who has said that this a dangerous place and Kaiser will be the toughest opponent for them.

Also, regarding Kaiser, we know that he steals names and that entitles him to take everything from them according to Sachi.  It would be interesting (and maybe overpowered/not feasible) if he is able to steal abilities and/or strength from those he defeats via name transference... imagine the power that he could gain from stealing the names from so many regulars from the Ten Families.

pepbut

pepbut

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 582 posts
Outcome 1: Baam disappears, as per the usual for the floor.
Outcome 2: Baam loses the name JVG, and distances himself from FUG.
Outcome 3: Baam somehow succeeds and dismantles the corrupt system of the floor, and they move on.

I think pretty much any possible outcome is acceptable to Evan here. Although knowing SIU, something completely random will happen instead.

salvatore

salvatore

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 6,875 posts
  • LocationEarth
Evan: [fufufu, I have trapped him, he will never see princess Yuri ever aga..]
Yuri: "phew! I think Baam will be alright since he has a superior guide with him"
Evan: "shit! I forgot about her"

God of LoL

God of LoL

Sweet Potato

• Members
  • 10,556 posts
  • LocationIn the Bato.cave.

Evan: [fufufu, I have trapped him, he will never see princess Yuri ever aga..]
Yuri: "phew! I think Baam will be alright since he has a superior guide with him"
Evan: "shit! I forgot about her"

I think it's more like...
Ryun: " You are trying to trap a guy who is not bound to any path whatsoever... By using a path."
Evan: "Your point being?"
Ryun: "I'm just saying it out loud because you apparently have not, judging from the whole " According to keikaku" smirk you have plastered all over your face."
Evan: "Speaking of which, how do you spell " Hwa Ryun" again?"
Ryun: "With my foot up your ass."
In all seriousness though, you both have a point. (Both being the OP and Lester.)
...That's pretty much all the contribution I can make in this conversation.
That you are both right.

Edited by God of LoL, 14 June 2016 - 03:17 PM.

kfi6l.jpg

Masterpace

Masterpace

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

I think after what Baam heard from the demon about wasting his potential he will try to change the rules of name hunt station by defeating Keiser.

Life 101:

When someone says "i'm gonna teach you a lesson" it's unusual for what follows to be an educational opportunity !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

English is not my first language.

Rant

Rant

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • LocationHidden Floor

I loled at this xD

I have alwavs found that Angels have the vanity to speak of themselves as the Only Wise. This they do with a confident insolence sprouting from systematic reasoning.
W.B