Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[OOC] From Goblins to Gods

Re: Monster Fantasy Survival

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Callisto

Callisto

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

This is a role play inspired by Re:Monster with elements derived from several games such as Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Ark: Survival Evolved and The Forest. When your soul finds itself in the body of something not human, how will you strive to live? Carve out a peaceful life, destroy the world, or surpass God? The choice, is yours. Welcome to From Goblins To Gods!

03H4Ac3.jpg?1

Introduction

Once, you were a human. Maybe you were a salary man, or a kid on a skateboard, or a third-grade English teacher. Either way, you're dead now. As quickly as your soul is placed into darkness, it is pulled back out. Light and sounds accelerate, and your eyes crack open for the first time, in a new body.

You're a Goblin.

Born in a small, remote tribe of Goblins in a forested island, lacking any knowledge of your geography, you are thrust into the world. While only a newborn, the instinct and basic abilities of your kind are ingrained into you. How to communicate, how to hunt, what you must do to survive, as well as inherent information to your new world. This is your life, this is your mind. The memories of your previous life, your previous world, they exist but merely as a hazy dream with the conclusion forgotten. With time, sufficient experience and growth will open the option for you to evolve from a goblin to a different branch of monster, but this will depend on your own ability.

Just one thing sets this new batch of Goblin juveniles, your clan, apart from the rest. A single facet of their souls, a single "skill" retained from their past life that they do not even know they had. Perhaps an affinity for a rare kind of magic, perhaps a propensity to lead, perhaps the knowledge of a language they don't recall learning. Will this mistake in the cycle of reincarnation lend them the power to break past their limits, or will they simply fall like wild beasts to the onslaught of the world?

Welcome to the game, and do make it entertaining.

Character Sheet

Spoiler

Participants

• Patch (Level 17 Goblin)
  • Jin (Level 15 Goblin)
  • Mu (Level 14 Goblin)
  • Rei (Level 1 Goblin)

Edited by Callisto, 15 June 2016 - 04:51 PM.

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationRiding the back of the Great A'tuin.

One does not simply pass on a RE:Monster RP.

I shall make my stupid little goblin later, or in the morning depending on how late it gets. :3

Callisto

Callisto

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

I decided to forego the whole human survival idea. Kept on coming up with issues I didn't want to deal with lol

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

Here we go!

I hope this one lasts long enough for Patch to rank up and realize he's actually a girl. I've been wanting to make that joke happen since the second goblin RP. >.<

Also, will there be a limit on the number of absorption's in this one Callisto? I don't see any mention of it.

Spoiler

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital
Spoiler

I couldn't help myself, this is what Re:Monster does to me, can't resist not joining a Re:Monster like RP. Anywho, I knew the direction I wanted to take my 'talents' but wasn't quite sure if they were doable. My first one, I wasn't sure if It wasn't pushing it and/or if it was 2 talents mixed into one. If its doable, and turns out to be 2 instead of one, then I'll get rid of my 2nd 'talent' then.

Honestly, I wasn't sure about where to go for the 2nd one. It was either stronger in near death (sounds like cliche shounen shit, huh?) or Survival ability to where his chances of finding a way to escape/survive increases or something like it. But I wasn't sure if that counted as an talent. Either way, I just wanted some input on them to get a better picture.

Jin, like patch, is also going to make his 4th attempt at life as a goblin.

Livvvveeeee.

Edited by I-Am-X, 15 June 2016 - 04:55 PM.

tumblr_njivsvv03O1s9nzk7o3_500.gif

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

Livvvveeeee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVAp4JA2-ok

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

Spoiler

How fitting -salutes-

Damn, Reading through her past life bit and damn, seems like your character was also homeless. Since that was basically what I was going for well, the homeless angle anyways. A homeless bum always finding himself in a life or death battle. xD

Edited by I-Am-X, 13 June 2016 - 01:18 PM.

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • Locationin Oblivion, checking out the tapestry.
Spoiler

Edited by Diabolical Rhapsody, 13 June 2016 - 04:15 PM.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Callisto

Callisto

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

Here we go!

I hope this one lasts long enough for Patch to rank up and realize he's actually a girl. I've been wanting to make that joke happen since the second goblin RP. >.<

Also, will there be a limit on the number of absorption's in this one Callisto? I don't see any mention of it.

Spoiler

That was quite a transformation from Yan to Patch.

I actually wanted to limit the number of times absorption could be used. I was thinking something around 5 to 7. That way, people would be more cautious in choosing when to absorb an ability.

Spoiler

I couldn't help myself, this is what Re:Monster does to me, can't resist not joining a Re:Monster like RP. Anywho, I knew the direction I wanted to take my 'talents' but wasn't quite sure if they were doable. My first one, I wasn't sure if It wasn't pushing it and/or if it was 2 talents mixed into one. If its doable, and turns out to be 2 instead of one, then I'll get rid of my 2nd 'talent' then.

Honestly, I wasn't sure about where to go for the 2nd one. It was either stronger in near death (sounds like cliche shounen shit, huh?) or Survival ability to where his chances of finding a way to escape/survive increases or something like it. But I wasn't sure if that counted as an talent. Either way, I just wanted some input on them to get a better picture.

Livvvveeeee.

From what I understood, Battle Instincts is a combination of Hand to Hand Combat and Generalized Weapon Proficiency. Battle Instincts can remain unchanged, but having 2 talents fused into one will diminish the quality of each. He'd be a notch above those without specific combat-based talents. Against someone like Patch, his Hand to Hand Combat would be inferior. If you're fine with that, then I have no problem with Battle Instincts. Gladiator is fine. Just remember that the more specific a talent is, the greater its effect.

Spoiler

Appearance: Mu is taller than anyone else and she also has a pale green skin with pitch black eyes. Her canines jut out of her jaw a little bit and the patch of scraggly mop that can be called hair are slightly on the lesser side. Her forehead is a bot big and all in all it looks like the face of someone freshly smashed into a rock. Very unappealing.[/size]

Personality: Mu is weird, with drool always rolling out of her maw because of her jaw. One can say that she is perennially hungry. She'll follow anyone as long as she thinks they are strong but she hardly thinks so that is no problem.

Past Life History: Not much is known about her past, her visions recall a place like gymnasium where she'd spend most of her time. She was rather buff in her earlier life, a decent layer of muscle covering her torso. Maybe she overdosed on something or maybe a stone was too heavy and she burst a vessel.[/size]

Talent: Strength: Maybe it's her height, or her general physique that seems to be packing a bit more muscle than others. But she is good at lifting and throwing things.

Throw: Her aim is pretty good and quick. 

Skills: Techniques and abilities that you will gain throughout the story.[/size]

• Absorption - This allows its user to get the skill of other beings that they devour.
How much larger is she than other goblins? Your character is fine though. Accepted!

Edited by Callisto, 13 June 2016 - 02:23 PM.

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

My thinking is that Patch's soul learned a lot from it's time as Yan. It has now tried to be what it thinks it needs to be to survive.

That seems to be the sweet spot for number of absorptions. The previous set-up's that people used, gave 6 absorptions. This was intended to be reset once you ranked up. Though nobody ever got that far. I felt like it worked well.

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

That was quite a transformation from Yan to Patch.

I actually wanted to limit the number of times absorption could be used. I was thinking something around 5 to 7. That way, people would be more cautious in choosing when to absorb an ability.
From what I understood, Battle Instincts is a combination of Hand to Hand Combat and Generalized Weapon Proficiency. Battle Instincts can remain unchanged, but having 2 talents fused into one will diminish the quality of each. He'd be a notch above those without specific combat-based talents. Against someone like Patch, his Hand to Hand Combat would be inferior. If you're fine with that, then I have no problem with Battle Instincts. Gladiator is fine. Just remember that the more specific a talent is, the greater its effect.
How much larger is she than other goblins? Your character is fine though. Accepted!

She's about half a foot taller and about the same in width.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Callisto

Callisto

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

My thinking is that Patch's soul learned a lot from it's time as Yan. It has now tried to be what it thinks it needs to be to survive.

That seems to be the sweet spot for number of absorptions. The previous set-up's that people used, gave 6 absorptions. This was intended to be reset once you ranked up. Though nobody ever got that far. I felt like it worked well.

And who said Patch wasn't smart?

I think 6 seems like the magic number. I'll edit that in the character sheet. Thanks!

She's about half a foot taller and about the same in width.

Hmm, I'd prefer that she be the same height as the rest of the goblins. In the event PVP occurs, the advantage in reach, weight, and bulk (although minimal) may be pivotal given the right situation; I think its best we avoid that sort of advantage. She can get taller with her absorptions (depending on what she eats) and evolution though. :)

After lurking through the past Re: Monster RP Threads (Thanks to Joker), I've decided to include the Level Mechanic and Rank Up System that they used.

Edited by Callisto, 13 June 2016 - 03:03 PM.

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

Yea, that's what I had in mind for Battle Instincts. Like a survival instinct where he can fight hand-to-hand and with every weapon (or make shift weapon) without having prior training or knowledge of them. The thought was that, unless he trained and got stronger with something in particular, his skill in hand-to-hand or with the weapons would be above average. Kind of like the expression 'Jack of all trades but master of none' but in this case, it's unless he actually trains in such skill/weapon (and of course the GM, you, gives a thumb up in regard to the skill level.

How specific can I get with 'Gladiator' while staying within the rule of cool (and not weakening it)? Like can I merge it with my Survivor idea to change it into something like, if he sustains a certain amount of damage, his survival instinct, strength, resistance/defense to a degree he can match or surpass someone like Patch that specializes in hand-to-hand or whatever? And/or, maybe something that can be used in a moment, like something you find in some games or whatever where you can pool in all your strength/health, or remaining strength/health into a single attack (or channeling it into a burst of speed to run away if an opponent is much stronger) before becoming vulnerable (not being able to attack) or worse?

Edited by I-Am-X, 13 June 2016 - 03:14 PM.

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

Callisto

Callisto

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

Yea, that's what I had in mind for Battle Instincts. Like a survival instinct where he can fight hand-to-hand and with every weapon (or make shift weapon) without having prior training or knowledge of them. The thought was that, unless he trained and got stronger with something in particular, his skill in hand-to-hand or with the weapons would be above average. Kind of like the expression 'Jack of all trades but master of none' but in this case, it's unless he actually trains in such skill/weapon (and of course the GM, you, gives a thumb up in regard to the skill level.

How specific can I get with 'Gladiator' while staying within the rule of cool (and not weakening it)? Like can I merge it with my Survivor idea to change it into something like, if he sustains a certain amount of damage, his survival instinct, strength, resistance/defense to a degree he can match or surpass someone like Patch that specializes in hand-to-hand or whatever? And/or, maybe something that can be used in a moment, like something you find in some games or whatever where you can pool in all your strength/health, or remaining strength/health into a single attack (or channeling it into a burst of speed to run away if an opponent is much stronger) before becoming vulnerable (not being able to attack) or worse?

I have no problem with Battle Instincts then. As for Gladiator, I was thinking that a temporary boost in strength during life threatening instances would be enough. Something like a last ditch effort to try and not die? Since its just survival instincts kicking in, I don't think an increase in defense would be appropriate. Maybe tolerance to pain perhaps? The gist of both those talents, for me, is just that they basically just enhances the Fight or Flight Phenomenon.

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

I have no problem with Battle Instincts then. As for Gladiator, I was thinking that a temporary boost in strength during life threatening instances would be enough. Something like a last ditch effort to try and not die? Since its just survival instincts kicking in, I don't think an increase in defense would be appropriate. Maybe tolerance to pain perhaps? The gist of both those talents, for me, is just that they basically just enhances the Fight or Flight Phenomenon.

Gotcha, just wanted to know the limits of what I can do with a Survival Instinct based talent. Because I wasn't sure if it would be ok for the talent to be optional. Like you said, fight or flight, if he chooses to remain, temporary boost to strength, if he chooses to run (deciding the opponent isn't worth fighting), a temporary boost to his speed so he can run away. Well, not 'optional' but I guess it would be.....conditional? If the situation meets a certain condition, the boost changes? What about something like that? If not, I'm more than happy with a temp. boost of strength.

Just wanted to get the most out of it without it seeming to ridiculous or weak.

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

Callisto

Callisto

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

Gotcha, just wanted to know the limits of what I can do with a Survival Instinct based talent. Because I wasn't sure if it would be ok for the talent to be optional. Like you said, fight or flight, if he chooses to remain, temporary boost to strength, if he chooses to run (deciding the opponent isn't worth fighting), a temporary boost to his speed so he can run away. Well, not 'optional' but I guess it would be.....conditional? If the situation meets a certain condition, the boost changes? What about something like that? If not, I'm more than happy with a temp. boost of strength.

Just wanted to get the most out of it without it seeming to ridiculous or weak.

Situational would be the best. He would resort the best option, deemed by himself, to survive. Whatever gets boosted would depend on what he's actually facing.
No problem. Its better we clear things out sooner rather than later.

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

And who said Patch wasn't smart?

I think 6 seems like the magic number. I'll edit that in the character sheet. Thanks!
Hmm, I'd prefer that she be the same height as the rest of the goblins. In the event PVP occurs, the advantage in reach, weight, and bulk (although minimal) may be pivotal given the right situation; I think its best we avoid that sort of advantage. She can get taller with her absorptions (depending on what she eats) and evolution though. :)

After lurking through the past Re: Monster RP Threads (Thanks to Joker), I've decided to include the Level Mechanic and Rank Up System that they used.

Would that be much of a factor? Considering we have a person specializing in a particular combat type and other being the Jack of All trades. Someone who just has some additional strength won't matter much. If that doesn't sit right with you, then I can always change to one that you like.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

Situational would be the best. He would resort the best option, deemed by himself, to survive. Whatever gets boosted would depend on what he's actually facing.
No problem. Its better we clear things out sooner rather than later.

So the conditional/situational bit is cool? Sweet. Then for matching purposes I'll just rename the talent 'Survivor's Instinct'  to match the theme.

xD

And aye, a diff boost for a diff situation. Jin v4.0 is looking pretty good.

tbh, if this rp holds out, I think I might be loving this Jin more because the first 3 I didn't change a thing and he used the same talents and went about things the same but this time theres some changes. xD

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

Callisto

Callisto

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

Would that be much of a factor? Considering we have a person specializing in a particular combat type and other being the Jack of All trades. Someone who just has some additional strength won't matter much. If that doesn't sit right with you, then I can always change to one that you like.

Honestly, I think it would. Maybe not that much though. Yeah, I prefer keeping the size of the goblins standardized. Sorry for the inconvenience!

So the conditional/situational bit is cool? Sweet. Then for matching purposes I'll just rename the talent 'Survivor's Instinct'  to match the theme.
xD

And aye, a diff boost for a diff situation. Jin v4.0 is looking pretty good.
tbh, if this rp holds out, I think I might be loving this Jin more because the first 3 I didn't change a thing and he used the same talents and went about things the same but this time theres some changes. xD

Yup, its okay with me. Maybe just calling it Survivor would suffice? Two talents with the same word would seem redundant? :P

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

Honestly, I think it would. Maybe not that much though. Yeah, I prefer keeping the size of the goblins standardized. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Yup, its okay with me. Maybe just calling it Survivor would suffice? Two talents with the same word would seem redundant? :P

All too true, me and my habit of making things match. xD

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler