Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

WTF happened? Did Chapter 33 jump the shark?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

coolxal

coolxal

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 59 posts

The plot was actually going pretty normally with the social media death games (suspension of disbelief since they were in a "VR" world).

But since chapter 33, things are just jumping around with no explanation.

-Suddenly there are mobs of civilians hunting fake "Marbles" in the real world.  Where the fuck are the police?

-The fact that these people are actually going around taking pictures of "marks" and making people explode without batting an eye

-Yuuma suddenly has super strength and durability

-The cat girl that came out of nowhere and was seemingly familiar with Yuuma (Apparently she was in 1 panel of Ch 25) only to be killed anti-climatically

-Monster Marbles running around with superhuman strength and agility

-The whole scene in the hospital was odd.  The doctor just randomly treating them and letting them go, even following Yuuma afterwards.

-I thought I missed a chapter when Glasses Girl and Ayane randomly went to a spa (lol 3.7V cellphone batteries shocking you to death)

-Running on top of their swimsuits floating in the pool? Who are they, Jesus? Even supposing the cellphones could shock them to death, using their swimsuits as a platform wouldn't help.

-Ayane gets captured by her brother all of a sudden, and Yuuma suddenly jumping down from the roof

-Glasses girl meeting the shota was random

-Shota with powers to instantly kill was random

-Ataru and Yuuma meet and suddenly shoots him

The only reason the plot suddenly accelerates and throws logic out the window is if the series is about to get axed and the author wants to quickly tie up loose ends... that's what I thought until I found out the latest chapter is 67 and it's still ongoing.

SamQ

SamQ

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Maybe the author just got tired and wanted to make things crazy. This is really the feel of the rest of the series so far, lol. It's ridiculous and I like it, but yeah it's very jarring. Some particular (and totally batshit) things seem to be planned from the beginning, so maybe it was always intentional. I don't think it would be quite as bad if we were able to read it weekly, but having that looong pause in scanlations and suddenly 180 degree tonal shift in like... a month makes it really stand out.

Edited by SamQ, 03 May 2016 - 12:34 PM.

Vallamaria

Vallamaria

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

The plot was actually going pretty normally with the social media death games (suspension of disbelief since they were in a "VR" world).

But since chapter 33, things are just jumping around with no explanation.

-Suddenly there are mobs of civilians hunting fake "Marbles" in the real world.  Where the fuck are the police?

-The fact that these people are actually going around taking pictures of "marks" and making people explode without batting an eye

-Yuuma suddenly has super strength and durability

-The cat girl that came out of nowhere and was seemingly familiar with Yuuma (Apparently she was in 1 panel of Ch 25) only to be killed anti-climatically

-Monster Marbles running around with superhuman strength and agility

-The whole scene in the hospital was odd.  The doctor just randomly treating them and letting them go, even following Yuuma afterwards.

-I thought I missed a chapter when Glasses Girl and Ayane randomly went to a spa (lol 3.7V cellphone batteries shocking you to death)

-Running on top of their swimsuits floating in the pool? Who are they, Jesus? Even supposing the cellphones could shock them to death, using their swimsuits as a platform wouldn't help.

-Ayane gets captured by her brother all of a sudden, and Yuuma suddenly jumping down from the roof

-Glasses girl meeting the shota was random

-Shota with powers to instantly kill was random

-Ataru and Yuuma meet and suddenly shoots him

The only reason the plot suddenly accelerates and throws logic out the window is if the series is about to get axed and the author wants to quickly tie up loose ends... that's what I thought until I found out the latest chapter is 67 and it's still ongoing.

- Well even if the police are around it would surely be hard for them to stop such a massive mob of crazy money obsessed people. After all they can't be everywhere at once. Given the news station in chapter 33 was telling people not to join in the game it would seem highly likely that the police probably are trying to do something somewhere.

- The people taking pictures of the marks and making people explode without caring is actually pretty reasonable. Since most of them are just shown to be greedy money obsessed thugs who care more about getting tons of money than caring about someone's life. Though to be fair one woman was shown to be rather shaken up at having killed someone. But she apparently felt she needed to do it to get the money for an operation for her daughter.

- Yuuma's being strong and having a lot of stamina makes sense. Considering Yuuma is actually the real Ataru and it was shown in the prequel that Ataru was extremely athletic as a kid. So it doesn't seem unreasonable for him to be very physically fit. But having him be able to get beaten with wooden bats and even take a steel pipe to the head without being killed or at least knocked out seems a bit unrealistic...

- Well as far as the "cat girl" who died goes it's not that odd for random side characters to be killed off. Heck in the prequel they even outright killed off a seemingly important side character in the last game of the prequel. So basically anyone who isn't a main character has an equal chance of dying it seems. But it did seem extremely lame to bring her back in chapter 33 only to just have that monster Marble kill her in chapter 35...

- The Monster Marbles are surely just robots. Since they even comment on how they can't possibly be human. Which seems especially likely given they can take such a heavy beating and even survive being in a fire without being harmed at all. Being robots would also explain their insane super strength.

- Hospital scene seemed fine to me. The doctor apparently wasn't interested in killing for money and treated their injuries. As for letting them go she kind of had to let them go or else they would have possibly ended up just getting caught by someone else and killed.

- Well their idea of hiding out in a spa seemed logical to them at first. But apparently they overlooked or were just unaware of the existence of waterproof phones.

- The cellphone batteries supposedly being able to electrify water part definitely seemed like a totally unbelievable load of crap though. That part really shouldn't have even been there at all. I mean all the other stuff has a possible logical explanation. But that however was just stupid.

- Well it would have been very easy for Ayame's brother to find her and capture her. Given the cellphones of all the "fake Marbles" are constantly informing everyone of their location. So once he found her capturing her would have been simple enough. Especially since she surely still trusted him upon running into him again in the real world. As for Yuuma jumping down for the roof, going in through the front door was impossible and going in via the roof kind of make for a more epic rescue scene anyways I think.

- Glasses girl meeting the shota was explained by him being her one follower and she needed to get him to scan her mark for her mission.

- The shota somehow being able to kill every single one of the thugs after glasses girl however made literally no sense at all though. I mean it would have made more sense if maybe he had a trap ready to kill them. But instead they all just suddenly spontaneously die at the exact same time. Which seems a little too convenient...

- Ataru meeting Yuuma and trying to shoot him really didn't make any sense at all. Since you would logically think that he would be happy to find out his brother is actually alive despite thinking he's been dead all those years. But I'm guessing the reason behind why he wants to kill him now will be explained in the chapters to come.

Edited by Vallamaria, 03 May 2016 - 02:07 PM.

kilenem

kilenem

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I haven't seen such a violent shift in the direction of the story since Captain America said he was apart of Hydra.